Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Where is elysium in this hammer meta discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
That’s why you have grubby’s silver tier list http://www.robogrub.com/silvertierlist

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Star posted:

That’s why you have grubby’s silver tier list http://www.robogrub.com/silvertierlist

I love Abathur's respective placements in those lists.

Also how Cho'Gall is bottom of the barrel either way.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Honestly Silver, and to a lesser extend Gold play isn't much about the characters. The team with better mechanics and macro wins. I'd almost always much rather a teammate play someone they've mastered than a meta pick they have at 5.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Also how Cho'Gall is bottom of the barrel either way.

Chogall needs specific teams drafted around him which silver players are not great at and he's also very easy to counter draft. Cho also needs to be really on his game or his team is going to easily lose the game for his team by having lovely macro or feeding 2 kills at a time to the enemy.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Roblo posted:

Gotcha, thanks for that. Makes sense, i like playing Lili: that blind, lovely.

And i like Junkrats suicide alt :(: helps me out when im hopelessly out of position (which is tending to happen less, at least).

I've been gradually getting better with my positioning (except on Alterac). As a rule of thumb, wherever you are, constantly ask yourself 'can the red team jump on me without going through my front line?' If the answer is yes, move. Alterac has so many different routes to places especially after a couple forts go down that I'm having a much harder time around the objectives.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Roblo posted:

Gotcha, thanks for that. Makes sense, i like playing Lili: that blind, lovely.

And i like Junkrats suicide alt :(: helps me out when im hopelessly out of position (which is tending to happen less, at least).

Basically never use conc mine offensively, always take the boop yourself further talent and enjoy being able to reposition yourself a screen away almost instantly

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Roblo posted:

Has anyone got a guide for someone who wants to make the jump from quick matches into ranked games? I know vaguely what I'm doing in a game, but am a bit nervous about the whole drafting thing. I'd rather not go in and get yelled at for 10 placement games.

Good advice so far for you. I'd add a couple things:

/join SAGoons and ask for TL. I'll be playing all weekend misterhill#1882 and idgaf if we lose a couple games while you adjust. 5-stack TL means you A) guarantee voice chat, which is hella useful for drafting at the very least, and B) your allies can pick heroes in any order. UD and HL are nice, but you are stuck in your draft position. This is bad if you say want to Li Li, who should be picked dead last*. 4/5 of the time, in UD or HL, you won't have that option.

* Li Li is A) anti-AA, and B) sustain-only. If your opponent knows you're going Li Li, they can draft burst mage and avoid AAs.

The HotS whining thread had some good advice that I follow:

Bum the Sad posted:

You can sort by League too to leave out the scrubs like ourselves. Like I'll click the drop down that says "All Leagues" by default and click Diamond and Master, then I'll click the time drop down that says "Last 7 days" by default, and click the last 4 weeks. That seems to give you a bunch of data to work with. Then I scroll down to the bottom to look at "Popular Talent Builds" and sort by games played usually and pick from the top few.

I decided to illustrate it because I'm bored at work. I disagree with automatic Diamond & Master sorting, unless you're at least high plat. Your team should impact how you play and build, and Master teams are very different from Gold teams.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Of my time spent in Gold: At least 90% of my climb out was just beating the poo poo out of buildings until we won because map awareness is such a rare commodity. Gazlowe, Nazeebo, Zagara, and Azmodan were perfect for this - most of the time everyone else was so busy loving around that they didn't realize that I was tunneling through their defenses and popping keeps at the ten-minute mark.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Gold is still all about soak and level advantage, so yeah literally everyone you named is brainlessly good at consistent waveclear and lane presence and tend not to be punished for leveraging those advantages in that tier

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Midnightghoul posted:

She is countered by CC but her cooldowns are a lot shorter than most other CC cooldowns

Plus you get instant cast ones from your trait. You also really don't want to be charging up abilities in most fights unless you really need the added effect, since proccing Maraad and Holy Wrath is much more important

https://heroeshearth.com/builds/skimmy/yrel-343/ is basically what I've been seeing most during GM stream games, with 7 flexing usually into the E talent that makes the cooldown near instant if it hits a hero

She's also pretty fast at merc camps once she spikes at 16

I think I'm relying too much are charging up stuff. Then just getting stunned/silenced/combo'd down. I'll try just proccing early and whacking poo poo for more healz.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Probius abuses the hell out of low elo games because you can push waves super fast with a warp rift build and never run out of mana. Just clear, rotate, clear, rotate, and most low elo people won't even notice.

With his new level 20, his echo pulse build may be dece for those late game teamfights too.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Erdricks posted:

Probius abuses the hell out of low elo games because you can push waves super fast with a warp rift build and never run out of mana. Just clear, rotate, clear, rotate, and most low elo people won't even notice.

With his new level 20, his echo pulse build may be dece for those late game teamfights too.

Maybe if you're smurfing or a Probius one trick. Every Probius I've ever played with has sucked and fed all game.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Me and a friend had a really hilarious Team League moment where first game, she goes Probius, and I'm wondering what she's doing. She ends up dominating the entire game, and we requeue. Both of us realize that we have the same teammates and enemies from the previous game, and their first ban? Probius.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

fool_of_sound posted:

Maybe if you're smurfing or a Probius one trick. Every Probius I've ever played with has sucked and fed all game.

Red Team Probius is slippery as all hell. His worker rush is perfectly timed so as to not get disabled by an errant minion shot or dot. He's at every objective set up ten seconds before it spawns. His rifts are perfectly placed to create choke points.

Blue Team Probius says "need mor vespene gas lol" and spends five minutes trying to capture a siege camp.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So quickmatch puts Yrel against actual tanks. Who all stomp her because she's awful.

Yrel is overpowered now that she actually deals enough damage to kill people on top of being completely unkillable.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I can out-lane pretty much anyone as Blaze these days except for Yrel. She's such a loving pain in the rear end because her jump hurts so goddamn bad and there's no escaping her once she's on you. Your only option is to pull back the instant she's on you so you can actually clear lanes without having to fear being ganked because you're low health.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The Lost Vikings in HGC :gowron:

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

fool_of_sound posted:

Eh pretty common for HasuObs but I've never seen Dignitas play it, nonetheless on Volskya.

Now that Raynor finally got reworked, I feel like Vikings are the most in need of a rework now. Having basic abilities being talent choices is incredibly stupid

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How do the Vikings work in the mech? Do you get the pilot/gunner skills when you swap between the two of them?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Junkrat is my boi and the quintessential Junkrat experience is being #3 on your team in hero damage all game and then the game ends and it turns out you did more hero damage than the entire enemy team combined

cannonball + endless nades means you sit at the edge of a teamfight and vomit an insane amount of damage into them that they don’t notice until it’s too late

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
People always go for the flashier triple nades, but yeah, endless nades and cannonball's the way to go. To really ham it up, get an Ana to nanoboost you as you just walk into the enemy team firing twenty grenades a second.

On second thought, let me just say there's a place for the triple nades. I generally pick them if the enemy team has a bunch of dive/ambush or I don't want to be in one place for a long time (e.g getting damage out and then scramming using the talented W).

Grei Skuring fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 6, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

fool_of_sound posted:

They won, too! That one pushing core the last few minutes was great

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

blastron posted:

How do the Vikings work in the mech? Do you get the pilot/gunner skills when you swap between the two of them?

You can't put 2 vikings in the mech. The one you do put in gets pilot/gunner abilities, and you can still micro to the other two and have them do whatever.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Jesus Christ Tempo Storm is such an embarrassment.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

bamhand posted:

Jesus Christ Tempo Storm is such an embarrassment.

Hey guys lets let a 25 minute Arcane Punisher just waltz up to our core whats the worst that can happen

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I want to make clear that they had 5 people up vs 1 on the other team. The punisher started on their keep. They just ignored it.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
They were off by 6% punisher hp. It almost paid off.
But yeah. LOL.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm glad Tempo Storm is getting the immense underachievement started early this phase

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
so I guess Psalm really was just completely carrying them all this time?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Semper Fudge posted:

so I guess Psalm really was just completely carrying them all this time?

The only did ok even with him at MSB.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

fool_of_sound posted:

The only did ok even with him at MSB.

I felt that Psalm was one of their weaker players at the MSB though. Tempo just has a rep for some boneheaded calls and under preforming against top teams and still playing with a sub is probably not helping as well

edit:but in the end Octalysis is worse as TS reverse sweeps

Midnightghoul fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 7, 2018

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Fan's haircut is terrible

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Thrall's frostwolf quest is the most infuriating thing ever. Just a neverending series of ETC bumping people away or people killing dudes too early.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You're in the learning phase, which is good. Soon you will anticipate enemy and ally movements better because you're getting rewarded or punished for your predictions. That skill will help you in general, so I'd say play more skillshot quest heroes until your eyes bleed :)

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Try playing Tyrande for a bit. Once you can regularly land her Sentinel from across the map your skill shot to hit ratio with other heroes should go up dramatically.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Thrall's frostwolf quest is the most infuriating thing ever. Just a neverending series of ETC bumping people away or people killing dudes too early.

Generally the cooldown talent is better on that tier unless you're looking to go tank busting or something. But you can wait until a big team fight and try to throw it into the middle of their team and hit multiple people at once/make it less likely to miss a guy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The only good quest for Thrall is level 1 extra charge.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Thrall definitely has one of the best designs in the game talent wise. All his talents are at least situationally good. Hell, I even picked nexus blades once or twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you are willing to play conservatively for a first several minutes (or are insanely good at landing Feral Spirit in solo lane) Frostwolf Pack is really good. Crash Lightning can also be really good at level 1 if you aren't solo laning. Thunderstorm is also excellent if you don't need to provide additional melee burst or percentile damage. Maelstrom Weapon is definitely the worst level 7 though.

I never take Nexus Blades or Worldbreaker. Or Maelstrom Weapon.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 7, 2018