Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

So how much will I hate my own life if I try to do a run with no nail upgrades,
I did this and it was pretty fun. You actually have to learn some enemies patterns instead of just rushing them down. Certain Dream Bosses are a slog but if you're using spells you can speed things up a lot.

I parked that save file just outside Radiance with NKG alive so that I can make a copy and fight either of them with 0 nail upgrades whenever I want, it's great.

quote:

no black spells
It'll suck extra hard for the tough dream boss fights and things like Watcher Knights but it's still mostly fine as long as you have white spells.

quote:

and no hp/soul upgrades?
That could get a little frustrating in those boss fights where you don't have any windows for healing. For regular fights it just puts extra pressure on getting good.

As long as you don't do the Trial of Fools it shouldn't be too bad imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

So how much will I hate my own life if I try to do a run with no nail upgrades, no black spells and no hp/soul upgrades?

depends how much you want to get done. If you want to just beat the game, you can do that easy in less than an hour, with the Watcher Knights being the only real skill check. Even with one nail upgrade, it’s pretty hard

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Unlucky7 posted:

So, who else missed picking up the Howling Wraiths spell from the Fog Canyon on their first pass through? :v:

I've missed it on replays. It's out of the way enough that it's easy to forget.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ambivalent posted:

depends how much you want to get done. If you want to just beat the game, you can do that easy in less than an hour, with the Watcher Knights being the only real skill check. Even with one nail upgrade, it’s pretty hard

I want to kill NKG :getin:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Anyway to not take two health during Radiance?

Also I'm at 105%. I think all that's left is the above, NKG, and the dream boss fights. I also lost my money for the first time ever fighting NKG's predecessor. I was so anxious to get back into the ring I crystal-blasted past my shade and then promptly died again. And now I can't buy the cheapest of Divine's charms unless I were to be a fool again or something.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just tried to do the crystal jump platforming section on the bottom left of greenpath and I'm so frustrated. At least I have the grub badge that allows me to heal more often. I managed to get party the first section and died immediately when it changed the puzzle. Ugggh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anyway to not take two health during Radiance?

Also I'm at 105%. I think all that's left is the above, NKG, and the dream boss fights. I also lost my money for the first time ever fighting NKG's predecessor. I was so anxious to get back into the ring I crystal-blasted past my shade and then promptly died again. And now I can't buy the cheapest of Divine's charms unless I were to be a fool again or something.

If you don't get hit, you won't take any damage. :eng101:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

If you don't get hit, you won't take any damage. :eng101:

This.

Though falling off the edge or getting hit with the floor spikes both only do one mask of damage if that helps at all.

But a decent way to go about fighting Radiance is to play very safe, only hit when you are sure you wont get hit back and focus on avoiding attacks. If you take your time you'll find that its not too hard to avoid most of the attacks and you can whittle her down as you go. Extra benefit of this strat means you can use grubfather's elegy which lets you hit her from the ground without jumping which makes the movement much easier.

Can also stack up on blue and shaman stone charms and try to just constantly spam abyss shriek which can also work but is a far more RNG dependent strat.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 6, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I imagine I'm in the later half of this game. I have kept myself in the dark about everything, but I'm curious - can I lock myself out of any content?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's some 'cheevs that are mutually exclusive but other than that the only thing i think you can lock yourself out of is if you get the item for the good ending you can't see the bad ending anymore

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I imagine I'm in the later half of this game. I have kept myself in the dark about everything, but I'm curious - can I lock myself out of any content?
I know of one arcane egg that is forever-missable. It's in the only area of the game that I know of that becomes completely inaccessible after doing something.

EDIT: On second thought, I can think of another area that becomes completely inaccessible, but I don't think there are any items in that area.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean an arcane egg is just a chunk of cash, that wouldn't qualify as "missable content" to me

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wildtortilla posted:

Cowcaster posted:

there's some 'cheevs that are mutually exclusive but other than that the only thing i think you can lock yourself out of is if you get the item for the good ending you can't see the bad ending anymore

Also, the DLC content's final battle can be missed, if, at the end, you make a certain choice. It's pretty clear what choice locks you out of it though. That's about the only major stuff, I think.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the input. I'm not concerned about losing some cash or missing and ending (can always watch that on Youtube). I'm only concerned about losing out on skills or fun areas to explore. Sounds like there's nothing major like that for me to worry about.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Artelier posted:

Also, the DLC content's final battle can be missed, if, at the end, you make a certain choice. It's pretty clear what choice locks you out of it though. That's about the only major stuff, I think.

There's one other DLC battle that can be missed. You lock yourself out of it by letting Zote die.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I think it’s possible to miss seeing the bad ending if you jump right into acquiring some of the last final end game items. I’d recommend trying to beat the last boss once you have access to do so just to see it. After the credits roll you can start your game on the bench outside the bosses room and go back to the world.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Wildtortilla posted:

Save Zote.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

If Zote is who I think it is I last saw him stuck in webs in a room I never figured out how to access. When is the cut off for rescuing him?.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

If Zote is who I think it is I last saw him stuck in webs in a room I never figured out how to access. When is the cut off for rescuing him?.

Fortunately he can only actually die in the first encounter where he's actively being eaten. Just go find your way back there and get him out.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Nailmaster's Glory really was the key to Trial of the Fool for me. It took a few tries to basically re-teach myself how to play but I finally loving did it. Now to wrap up the Hunter's Journal, White Defender and NKG/Radiance.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I think it's funny that people say you get locked out of the bad ending when [ending spoilers if that wasn't obvious enough] it's definitely worse to trap Hornet in there with you! So you lock yourself out of the "bad" ending but you can still definitely get the worst ending after you get the Void Heart.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

So how much will I hate my own life if I try to do a run with no nail upgrades, no black spells and no hp/soul upgrades?

I did a run with only 2 nail upgrades and minimal spell usage, and I think that pretty much hit the sweet sport for difficulty. I don't think taking less upgrades would really make the game significantly harder, it'd just make it take longer. You still have to learn the fights perfectly either way.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Haha I accidentally ended Grimm Troupe early and didn't get all the unbreakable charms or get to do the final boss.

:suicide:

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Yeah stuff like letting Zote die or banishing the troupe seems like a strange design choice. It's just a 'gotcha, now you dont get to see cool extra stuff' for those who go into the game unspoilered...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Yeah stuff like letting Zote die or banishing the troupe seems like a strange design choice. It's just a 'gotcha, now you dont get to see cool extra stuff' for those who go into the game unspoilered...

:darksouls:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

both of those things have to be done almost completely deliberately for them to happen, the latter especially so. that's not a gotcha at all.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Literally no one accidentally leaves zote to die on a first playthrough.

The NKG thing is silly. Their heart is in the right place to have a way for people to finish the quest without beating a super boss, but it should be reversible of something. Or maybe gave you a charm that only worked in the fight that served as an optional handicap.

E: ^^^ There’s no reason to know banishing will skip a boss. Nothing else in the game does.

They obviously overlap but it’s self evident the alternate quest condition was at least in part to make beating a boss that’s harder than the radiance not necessary to complete the dlc content, or a file.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 6, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think the intent is "oh we need to give people a way to skip this super boss", pretty sure it's "oh we want a separate outcome to this quest".

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Cowcaster posted:

both of those things have to be done almost completely deliberately for them to happen, the latter especially so. that's not a gotcha at all.
I definitely did not mean for Zote to die in my playthrough, I saved him once from some spiders or w/e so I dunno what happened

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only way for zote to die is if you don't save him from the first bug you find chewing on him in the crossroads. if you saved him from the spiders in the deepnest that's way after when he could have possibly died.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I definitely did not mean for Zote to die in my playthrough, I saved him once from some spiders or w/e so I dunno what happened

He’s not dead. You can’t really have zote die without intentionally doing it. You’re saying you saved him in deepnest but he didn’t spawn in the arena?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

playing with low upgrades is a lot of fun, but some endgame challenges are seriously tiresome with the basic nail. I eventually settled on getting one nail upgrade for Radiance/NKG/Trial of Fools and felt like I ended up in a good place.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Cowcaster posted:

the only way for zote to die is if you don't save him from the first bug you find chewing on him in the crossroads. if you saved him from the spiders in the deepnest that's way after when he could have possibly died.
If true then something wonky happened to my game save and this whole time I've been thinking, man its way too easy to let zote die

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

If true then something wonky happened to my game save and this whole time I've been thinking, man its way too easy to let zote die

Have you gone back and fought in the first arena match after rescuing him in Deepnest?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Go to the spot in deepnest. If he’s there save them. If he’s not you already saved him. Then go to the arena and finish the quest. He isn’t dead unless you literally have a glitch in your file.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So It Goes posted:

There’s no reason to know banishing will skip a boss. Nothing else in the game does.

Banishing something... Makes it go away? :thunk:

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I’ve had a lot of fun playing this game on switch. I’ve now found the ‘good’ ending, saved all the grubs, beaten the dream bosses and explored ‘all’ the map (like, there’s no unopened doors or unexplored corridors)

..and I still haven’t found this DLC stuff that people keep talking about?

Is there a list of breakable walls / hidden rooms anywhere, which won’t spoil for me what’s behind all the doors / in all the rooms? I don’t really want to go around hitting every wall on the map trying to find things myself (finding the hive to get those last grubs took me... a long time)

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Banishing something... Makes it go away? :thunk:

Make a boss go away? You’re saying that from hindsight. It could easily lead to another boss, the same boss, or both routes have no bosses. Literally nothing else in the game can miss “content” in the sense of a boss.

At some point, the people saying stuff like you can only deliberately miss NKG are just being obtuse because there are literally posts of people doing it unintentionally on every forum from here to reddit to reset era.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

So It Goes posted:

Go to the spot in deepnest. If he’s there save them. If he’s not you already saved him. Then go to the arena and finish the quest. He isn’t dead unless you literally have a glitch in your file.
I did everything including beat him in the arena so I probably have a glitch. I've found a few forum posts with people who have had the same issue but no suggestions to fix it. Mind you my last playthrough was in October so the devs may have caught it.

I'm planning on getting it for the Switch and playing through again so I'll get my chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I think that is the one thing I really don't like about Hollow Knight. It's a huge game with tons of stuff to collect, with just a couple of little things that prevent you from getting everything on a single save file. With a game like this where collecting stuff is a big part of the experience, I feel like I should be able to eventually get everything if I want to.

Grimm Troupe is the biggest thing. I wanted the charm for banishing, so I did that. Now I miss out on the boss fight and I have to give up the Grimmchild. That annoys me. I'd rather let Zote die and have Bretta hanging around permanently, but I didn't want to miss out on that fight as well. Also, you eventually have to give up the Kingsoul, and there's no similar thing to replace it with.