Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

an actual dog posted:

This is not the case, her entire social media history was combed over by reddit, emailled to her boss, creating a campaign to get her fired.

I'm talking about the initial situation because that's what caused this all the spiral out of control in the first place.

Yeah after the fact she got singled out and harassed for being a woman but that doesn't make her initial actions correct.

an actual dog posted:

you seem fun and normal

What kind of bullshit is this? gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Social media was a mistake. I'm glad the only places I have any type of online presence are this dumb gay place and a facebook that I've had since 2007 and barely use.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Glad to know there's a correct and incorrect way to use online

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

idk what's so wrong at telling someone who annoys you to gently caress off, more people should do it imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah after the fact she got singled out and harassed for being a woman but that doesn't make her initial actions correct.

Thread
https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1015269632855375872

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

an actual dog posted:

Glad to know there's a correct and incorrect way to use online

Yeah there literally is. Twitter is a social media platform and if you attach your job and company to a profile you are going to be expected to uphold the standards of that company. This is not a shocking revelation.

an actual dog posted:

idk what's so wrong at telling someone who annoys you to gently caress off, more people should do it imo

Most companies are not happy when you tell customers to gently caress off.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
This is not much different from someone having a mildly unpleasant interaction with me at a bar and then using that to try and get me fired.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah there literally is. Twitter is a social media platform and if you attach your job and company to a profile you are going to be expected to uphold the standards of that company. This is not a shocking revelation.

Why should anyone give a gently caress about companies you lunatic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really, this whole situation is too complicated for hot takes, and also too complicated for something like a summary firing for two long-time ArenaNet employees to be a rational response to it.

Jessica Price's Twitter thread wasn't a rant. She was expanding on some points she'd made in an ArenaNet-run AMA about the challenges the team encounters trying to write the player character in Guild Wars 2. I can't blame Deroir (the guy whose replies sparked this whole thing) for taking that as an invitation to continue the discussion, and his initial posts about it come off as reasonably respectful. Like you say, her Twitter is public, and she was posting about something that she had been discussing on Reddit earlier to expand on it--it's not crazy to think "that must mean that we can keep talking about this here." In retrospect, he would've been better off posting what he did on the official forums instead, where ArenaNet has explicitly requested detailed feedback.

Her response came off as too aggressive, without the context of what she normally puts up with (how many garbage dudes have found her Twitter to harass her over GW2's attempts to include progressive themes, I wonder?). His non-apologies absolutely exacerbated things. None of this justified firing her or Peter Fries. A reprimand, sure. An apology to Deroir, yeah, whatever, okay, he basically does free PR for GW2 so I guess it makes sense to stay on good terms with him. Firing is completely loving insane unless there's a bunch of poo poo going on behind the scenes we're unaware of. Throwing Fries on the fire for having the gall to step in and defend his colleague makes it even more crazy.

The only way this makes any sense is if that Square Enix PR guy's tweet about Mike O'Brien being a "nightmare" to work with and a "viper" who has done this before and will do it again is 100% true.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Internet Kraken posted:

Across the entire gamedev industry, developers have dragged their feet or done nothing when employees have done things ranging from, say, posting racist memes to directly sexually harassing colleagues.

How is what she did, even when people agree that maybe it was ill-advised, not only a fireable offense but something that needed to end with her being fired within 24 hours

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kotaku has a rundown with some quotes from Price

quote:

“[CEO Mike O’Brien] told me I was going to look back and regret this because we were doing amazing work and I ruined it,” Price said. “The only regrets I’ve ever had, however, have been in situations where I didn’t stand up for myself, not ones in which I did, and I don’t expect that to change any time soon. My only real regret here is that I encouraged other women to come on board and promised them it was a safe company for them.”

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

an actual dog posted:

Why should anyone give a gently caress about companies you lunatic.

Because you loving work for them. What about this are you not comprehending?

If you think people should just be able to vent whenever and wherever they want then your problems with society are much bigger than this incidient.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Across the entire gamedev industry, developers have dragged their feet or done nothing when employees have done things ranging from, say, posting racist memes to directly sexually harassing colleagues.

How is what she did, even when people agree that maybe it was ill-advised, not only a fireable offense but something that needed to end with her being fired within 24 hours

I didn't say it was a firable offense. In fact I'm pretty sure I said multiple times the only reason it escalated was because she was a woman in the workplace being vocally upset.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

cheetah7071 posted:

I see the appeal of internet forums!!!

I also see the appeal of discord. Basically, unsorted discussion or discussion sorted by person seem way way worse than discussion sorted by topic

Discord can be useful

Internet Kraken posted:

If you think people should just be able to vent whenever and wherever they want then your problems with society are much bigger than this incidient.

I didn't say it was a firable offense. In fact I'm pretty sure I said multiple times the only reason it escalated was because she was a woman in the workplace being vocally upset.

You're insane

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yyyyyikes that Mike O'Brien quote holy poo poo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Yea you got it lol, capitalism is evil.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

This is not much different from someone having a mildly unpleasant interaction with me at a bar and then using that to try and get me fired.

If someone at my job was telling people at a bar to go gently caress themselves in like, a company shirt yeah I could see them getting fired it if came back to them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

an actual dog posted:

Yea you got it lol, capitalism is evil.

Well I can't disagree there.

Samuringa posted:

You're insane

Cool, great contribution :thumbsup:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Discord can be useful

well, don't leave me hanging

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

If someone at my job was telling people at a bar to go gently caress themselves in like, a company shirt yeah I could see them getting fired it if came back to them.

Please just shut up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unless the company in question had an explicit policy that employees should leave public interaction to the PR people and not even try to represent the company on twitter, then it's basically their own drat fault that some of their employees don't perfectly represent their ~brand~ and she shouldn't have received more than a slap on the wrist

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

She wasn't tweeting from an official ArenaNet account. She was tweeting from her personal account.

Yes, that account mentioned that she worked at ArenaNet, but even if it didn't, she works in the entertainment industry, which means her name is in the game's credits. Does that mean that literally everything she says or does in public is her acting in "a company shirt?"

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Whether you agree with it or not, this 100% a thing people have, are, and will be fired over.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

is your argument "you need to protect yourself because your employer is not your friend, will not have your back, and will find ways to screw you out of your job if you prove to be inconvenient" because well okay sure that comes perilously close to victim blaming but you aren't wrong. or is it "this system is good and cool and should be continued" because then lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FanaticalMilk posted:

Whether you agree with it or not, this 100% a thing people have, are, and will be fired over.

Obviously, what's in question is whether or not its right, which it's not.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Harrow posted:

Yyyyyikes that Mike O'Brien quote holy poo poo

Considering that Mike O’Brien said in a Guild Wars 2 forum post.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/586426#Comment_586426 posted:

Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Anet takes it quit seriously about developers attacking their fan-base.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That is the unfortunate reality of capitalist America. Your social media is monitored when you're in consideration for hiring and monitored while you're an employee. It's poo poo, and the only way out is a mass exodus from social media or legislative action that bars it from being valid (fat chance of that, particularly with at will employment).

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

lol "attacking"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

my hot takeaways:

A) Don't vent in public to thousands of people. Smoke weed and watch anime.

B) Companies that fire over the smallest transgression show how disposable the workforce is and is more evidence for the unionization of labor and scrutiny of multi-million dollar companies who readily throw their employees under the bus but bury sexual harassment allegations especially against executives who hold all the power

C) If you like a video game so much you revolve your life around it, love the people who make it. If you're feeling upset smoke weed and watch anime.

D) Legalize weed

This has been a message from Internet Buddha.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

is your argument "you need to protect yourself because your employer is not your friend, will not have your back, and will find ways to screw you out of your job if you prove to be inconvenient" because well okay sure that comes perilously close to victim blaming but you aren't wrong. or is it "this system is good and cool and should be continued" because then lol

The former mostly, but also "don't treat twitter as a private and public space simultaneously".

Let me be clear; she absolutely should not be fired over this. I understand exactly why the company would fire her but that doesn't make it morally correct. I just think her initial actions are also really silly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BexGu posted:

The thing is that neither of these employees attacked Anets whiny rear end community.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

al-azad posted:

my hot takeaways:

A) Don't vent in public to thousands of people. Smoke weed and watch anime.

B) Companies that fire over the smallest transgression show how disposable the workforce is and is more evidence for the unionization of labor and scrutiny of multi-million dollar companies who readily throw their employees under the bus but bury sexual harassment allegations especially against executives who hold all the power

C) If you like a video game so much you revolve your life around it, love the people who make it. If you're feeling upset smoke weed and watch anime.

D) Legalize weed

This has been a message from Internet Buddha.

Thankfully ArenaNet is located in Seattle, where weed is legal. So both employees can smoke a bowl today and take the stress off of not having a job.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My real takeaway from all this is I'm super glad I work at a university instead of a corporation

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

My real takeaway from all this is I'm super glad I work at a university instead of a corporation

Whats the difference lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big fan of the fake PSX adventure game they put in Danganronpa 2. I've always pined for psx aesthetic indie treasures. I'm hoping we get a revival of that look in the next decade

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

lol people get fired from universities over online mobs constantly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

Whats the difference lol.

the government, at least in this state, generally won't fire you over loving nothing

the culture is also pretty chill because I work with a bunch of scientists instead of corporate suits but that's just my corner of the university not the entire thing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

That is the unfortunate reality of capitalist America. Your social media is monitored when you're in consideration for hiring and monitored while you're an employee. It's poo poo, and the only way out is a mass exodus from social media or legislative action that bars it from being valid (fat chance of that, particularly with at will employment).

It works both ways though. Watching the drama unfold as people at alt-right rallies throwing sieg heils are fired from their jobs because no business wants to be associated with literal Nazis was beautiful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

an actual dog posted:

lol people get fired from universities over online mobs constantly

well then maybe my real takeaway is I'm glad I'm not on social media then

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BexGu posted:

She got into a twitter fight with one guy, not the whole fanbase. An apology would've smoothed the whole thing over for anyone who isn't just out for woman game dev blood, and that group doesn't deserve to be placated.

cheetah7071 posted:

I work for a software company but I'm extremely glad our clients are exclusively large organizations and not individuals. Nobody's going to come find me on twitter to rant at me about how they don't like the documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its going to be very hard for me to run for president when everyone sees what i posted on SA when I was 18-22

• Locked thread