Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The new and improved game OCTOPATHINGS TRAVELLER will introduce 4 new characters:

Irenicus
Nobunaga
Golbez
(Mr.)Satan
Give me Galuf instead of Golbez and you've got yourself a goddamn deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I hope the experience scaling for lower-level party members is significant because I'm sure I'll be switching up my party constantly.

The levels themselves seem to scale up quickly in how much XP they need to level up, so low level party members should be pretty easy to quickly get within ballpark of your other characters.

You get new characters at level 1 but they end up the same level as you by the end of their intro mission, so seems like it'll work fine even if you neglect a character for awhile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Koraku has a first take saying 20 hours in most of the stories are separate and don't have a lot of character interaction. But kotaku is also dumb and often wrong, and it sounds like he only just got all 8 characters so it could still shift to an overarching plot later...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Koraku has a first take saying 20 hours in most of the stories are separate and don't have a lot of character interaction. But kotaku is also dumb and often wrong, and it sounds like he only just got all 8 characters so it could still shift to an overarching plot later...

Yeah most of the previews are positive so I'm not really taking this one from a guy who didn't get very far too serious. I'm fine with spending a lot of time on just the recruitment, means the game has a lot of stuff to do. Even if the overall plot is transient I'd be happy with a few dozen sidequests being the bulk of my time.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I played a preview of the game and enjoyed the hell out of it so that's enough for me to purchase the game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Now I want Bravely on my Switch. :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MMF Freeway posted:

Idk if this had been confirmed or not but the character you pick first is always in your party.
Doesn't that make the other (opposite) character that shares the same path action pretty redundant and unplayable? Would you want to sacrifice an ability to have the opposite character around for their story?

If so, is there be a combination of opposite characters that are less/least redundant?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Doesn't that make the other (opposite) character that shares the same path action pretty redundant and unplayable? Would you want to sacrifice an ability to have the opposite character around for their story?

If so, is there be a combination of opposite characters that are less/least redundant?
Therion and Tressa aren't really redundant. Neither are Ophilia and Primrose.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

He does say there are banter sections where party members interact, so I am willing to take that.

He does say he likes the game, but it is sort of a "Adjust your expectations" thing, and I think most of us did once we saw how recruitment works in the demo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jason Kotaku's favorte rpg this year is Ni No Kuni 2, take that as your will

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a GameXplain video where he xplains that due to the way the game is structured, there isn't much interaction between the party members. Each character is basically alone in the cutscenes in their particular storylines. There are times where party members do talk to each other but he gave the impression that they're few.

Also keep in mind, your starting character can't be taken out of the party at all.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tae posted:

Ni No Kuni 2 is good though?

Oh I get it this is the part of the thread where we get critical about anyone who even remotely says a bad thing about the game and they are WRONG WRONG WRONG now and forever! I love this part! :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

It doesn't have a ton of competition

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 6, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sucks to hear about the limited interparty interaction. The story/characters will probably still be as good as the SNES/PS1-era Square RPGs, it just seems they won't be taking that extra step to really make this group of travelers feel like an actual group.

A bit disappointed, but still hyped for the other parts of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a GameXplain video where he xplains that due to the way the game is structured, there isn't much interaction between the party members. Each character is basically alone in the cutscenes in their particular storylines. There are times where party members do talk to each other but he gave the impression that they're few.

I don't really love the sound of this. It almost sounds like they planned on making them eight completely separate stories like SaGa Frontier and then just mashed them up at some point without really changing anything else.

If that's the case, I'd probably prefer it if all eight stories were completely separate and the characters never met up at all. Just have a bunch of minor characters with a few lines each that anyone can recruit and make the game much more explicitly just be about jumping between all these different stories that are taking place at the same time. That'd be less jarring. Obviously it'd be a huge amount of work to write a separate cast of party members for each main character, but just using the SaGa Frontier model (where most recruitable characters are just random NPCs you meet and join up and maybe have some relevance to one character but that's it) would've been fine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm fine with SaGa style stuff even if there's a weird ludonarrative dissonance with party members, though I do hope that eventually there are acknowledgements between the characters. If they exist then nobody is saying anything---a lot of previews have said they can't comment on anything that happens too far into the future i.e. more than 15-20 hrs in.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

I'm fine with SaGa style stuff even if there's a weird ludonarrative dissonance with party members, though I do hope that eventually there are acknowledgements between the characters. If they exist then nobody is saying anything---a lot of previews have said they can't comment on anything that happens too far into the future i.e. more than 15-20 hrs in.

I think that is where I am at with the game too. I still like the game enough from my time with the demos to give it whirl, warts and all.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Sucks to hear about the limited interparty interaction.

Same, but like outfit changes, it's something they can add to the sequel.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Legend of Mana was awesome and it had three plot lines that didn’t touch for poo poo, we’re all gonna be okay.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bean posted:

Legend of Mana was awesome and it had three plot lines that didn’t touch for poo poo, we’re all gonna be okay.

I think it's okay if the plotlines don't really interact with each other, I just think it's jarring that the characters are all in a party together that whole time. If they were eight totally separate stories (that you could still do on one save file by just jumping between them on the map screen), with like some minor side characters to fill out each character's four-person party, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. I think it's just going to be hard to get over the idea that these eight people are traveling together but have basically nothing to say about the no-doubt intense poo poo they're supposedly dealing with together.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
If party interaction straight up does not exist then I'm probably out, which sucks but oh well. I was in the thread post-demo when a lot of the discussion was like "party interaction probably exists but not in chapter 1s," and now it seems like the other take (one I shared) was the correct one - if it does exist it's not for 20 plus hours which is frankly insane

The battle system is real cool but I don't know if that's enough to carry a whole JRPG for 80+ hours

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are supposedly party banter segments but not during any of the actual plot cutscenes

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
No interaction during character stories is slightly disappointing but definitely not "I'm out" disappointing, for me at least. Just reminds me of SaGa Frontier's story modes more, where character stories were largely self contained and your party members might comment but not in such a way that it intrudes on the character's personal story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

No interaction during character stories is slightly disappointing but definitely not "I'm out" disappointing, for me at least. Just reminds me of SaGa Frontier's story modes more, where character stories were largely self contained and your party members might comment but not in such a way that it intrudes on the character's personal story.

I think the difference for me is that SaGa Frontier doesn't have all seven characters in a party together and no other recruitable party members. That makes it a lot more jarring.

I'm still definitely not totally at "I'm out" levels of disappointed but it's definitely going to be something that nags at me throughout the game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm just going to make up my own party interactions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's probably going to be one of the biggest criticisms from the game and I bet a sequel would do better about it. That said, I'm still hyped for next week.

Tressa.gif

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I don't really love the sound of this. It almost sounds like they planned on making them eight completely separate stories like SaGa Frontier and then just mashed them up at some point without really changing anything else.

If that's the case, I'd probably prefer it if all eight stories were completely separate and the characters never met up at all. Just have a bunch of minor characters with a few lines each that anyone can recruit and make the game much more explicitly just be about jumping between all these different stories that are taking place at the same time. That'd be less jarring. Obviously it'd be a huge amount of work to write a separate cast of party members for each main character, but just using the SaGa Frontier model (where most recruitable characters are just random NPCs you meet and join up and maybe have some relevance to one character but that's it) would've been fine.

Yeah I'd be interested in seeing what it would have been like if they'd just embraced 8 separate RPGs, where you'd see little bits of the other characters while on any given character's path.

But I'm still gonna buy the poo poo out of this game next week.

Also hoping that later on the stories do combine a bit and become more incorporating of having multiple characters, but we'll see. Will be fun either way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

If party interaction straight up does not exist then I'm probably out, which sucks but oh well. I was in the thread post-demo when a lot of the discussion was like "party interaction probably exists but not in chapter 1s," and now it seems like the other take (one I shared) was the correct one - if it does exist it's not for 20 plus hours which is frankly insane

The battle system is real cool but I don't know if that's enough to carry a whole JRPG for 80+ hours

Its important to remember that different people play games different ways. You can probably get past where this guy did in like 4 hours if you only focus on getting a couple characters and then getting on with it. Some people stop and smell every rose they can, and other people still are just slow and bad at videogames.

loving Final Fantasy XIII you didn't even get past the tutorial until after 20 hours :v: That's JRPGs!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ugh, I love Detective Nerd Wizard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ugh, I love Detective Nerd Wizard.

He's Wizard Phoenix Wright and I love it

I'm starting Cyrus even though I love Olberic and Primrose too. They'll be my first pickups, and they're kinda on the same way south so that works out. I guess I should stop and grab Tressa on the way too.

(You only get 1 save and my girlfriend saved over mine, so I'm going to wait for next week and start over so she can keep her save. Should have logged on her profile but too late)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also about the 20 hours thing, I haven't seen any of the reviewers talking about sub-jobs yet. If they don't have sub-jobs yet then they aren't THAT far into the game.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Since it's following a similar formula to Saga Frontier, this is probably correct.

Adding meaningful character interaction to a game as open as this would be very difficult, and looking at all of the (bad) old conventions the rest of the game holds onto, this comes as little surprise.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can't believe this game isn't cool and good and is actually bad and terrible, oh well

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Your Computer posted:

can't believe this game isn't cool and good and is actually bad and terrible, oh well

It's a Square-Enix game, it was always going to be bad and terrible.

I'm still going to buy and enjoy this bad and terrible game though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
On the four new jobs:

Rune Lord: Essentially the Spellblade of the game. Or Spell Fencer or Mystic Knight if you prefer. Buff yourself to add an element to your physical attacks (unsure if it's only for normal attacks) and whenever you do a physical attack, a magic attack will trigger at the end and hurt the enemy. Due to that, characters that have high elemental attacks might actually be better for this class than the physical attackers.

Enchanter: Spells that hit thrice but are expensive to cast. Has Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Wind magic and might have the other two elements as well.

Augur: Seems to have what appears to be a random magic attack and a couple of buffs like regen.

Warlord: Can equip every weapon in the game and comes with attack skills for at least Sword, Lance, and Axe. The physical counterpart to the Enchanter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

Rune Lord: Essentially the Spellblade of the game. Or Spell Fencer or Mystic Knight if you prefer. Buff yourself to add an element to your physical attacks (unsure if it's only for normal attacks) and whenever you do a physical attack, a magic attack will trigger at the end and hurt the enemy. Due to that, characters that have high elemental attacks might actually be better for this class than the physical attackers.
oh hey it's one of my favorite rpg classes :toot:

what's the deal with these extra jobs anyway, though? I guess you get the option to turn your characters into them (instead of multi-jobbing I assume)?

Mega64 posted:

It's a Square-Enix game, it was always going to be bad and terrible.

I'm still going to buy and enjoy this bad and terrible game though.
:yeah:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

oh hey it's one of my favorite rpg classes :toot:

what's the deal with these extra jobs anyway, though? I guess you get the option to turn your characters into them (instead of multi-jobbing I assume)?

I think they're subclass options.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
People online seem to be freaking out about "oh no the stories will never intersect!" when some Nintendo dude has already said that they will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umbaj5cwEXo&t=170s
(2:50)

Also,

https://twitter.com/OCTOPATH_PR/status/1015250447207002112

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do we know if it's possible to go through the game (a story?) with just one character?

Not that I would necessarily do that, I'm just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm gonna go ahead and make the comparison to another multi-protagonist Square RPG, Treasures of the Rudras, which had multiple (Only 3, 3 and a half) completely separate storylines, which you could play all of on one save file. Of course there each character had their own party of supporting characters, and the different parties would meet occasionally and interact (and you'd see these interactions twice, form both sides), and when one group accomplished something that caused a major change in the world, the other groups would notice it. It felt a lot better to me than Saga Frontier in that regard. It also has a final epilogue chapter where all the characters come together.

The big difference to me is being forced to use your first character in every scenario. If each story is going to be separate I'd much rather have more freedom to try different team compositions without having to drag around the same person who is only plot-relevant 1/8th of the time.