Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Remaking the prequels is a really stupid idea and I don't know why anyone thinks it would ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

cargohills posted:

Remaking the prequels is a really stupid idea and I don't know why anyone thinks it would ever happen.

Solo was a really stupid idea and yet they did it anyway. Though one would have to think that with all the hate they've been getting with "ruining the original vision behind star wars" and the weird turnaround a lot of peoples opinions have had on the prequels that they know there would be too much negative backlash if they tried.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cargohills posted:

Actually I disagree. Imagine remembering the prequels in ten years with rose tinted glasses. Its beautiful fodder for an actually good proper tv series. True Detective + I,II,III = $$ for Disney.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

Actually I disagree. Imagine remembering the prequels in ten years with rose tinted glasses. Its beautiful fodder for an actually good proper tv series. True Detective + I,II,III = $$ for Disney.

What is this, just filming Cinema Discusso's version of the prequels?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The extent to which people hate the prequels is massively overstated in any event and has been for about 15 years.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

Imagine remembering the prequels in ten years with rose tinted glasses.

That is precisely what people will do if Disney makes them because they're so absorbed in their "ruinous Disney ree" narrative.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It really pays to rewatch the series every five years or so, because you're going to miss/forget a lot of details

Watched the Despecialized Edition of the OT and was completely blown away by how much of it I had been recalling incorrectly (and not just because of the Special Edition changes)

Also slightly embarrassed it took me twenty years and an episode of Star Wars Rebels to realize one of Threepio's legs was in fact silver from the knee down

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm not saying Disney would do a better job but at the same time I don't want these stories retold again.

I want new Star Wars stories

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Complain about them all you like but I really can't think of anything I'd especially want to change about the prequels without going into my silly fanfiction ideas.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Age up Anakin and move TPM closer to AotC

Redo the start and Naboo sections of AotC to tone down Anakin's creep factor

Just make Matthew Stover's RotS novelization into a film (which completely omits the Battle of Kashyyyk, sure, but do we really need a Chewbacca cameo?)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a tv series happening, which is going to be produced by Jon Favreau, but it's supposed to be set between ROTJ and TFA.

I think the idea that Disney is going to redo the prequel trilogy has been making the rounds since they bought the company. I don't really see it happening, though.

This could be kind of cool depending on what they touch on in it. Maybe they could get Max Von Sydow back or some of those other folks that are in Force Awakens for like one second. Not that everything has to be connected, just I think Force Awakens more than a lot of these flicks have advertised and talked up stuff for the movie that ended up only popping up in some comics and tie-in novels.

I don't see Disney remaking the prequel trilogy either as much as fans like to talk about it. At most there'll be another TV show, hell an Old Republic series could easily own - not even taking into account anything in the games they could just base it off those Tales of the Jedi comics where we first saw the 3,500 years before A New Hope era stuff.

I don't know if I'd mind a "remake" of the prequels if they got the people who did the Clone Wars series to just make another awesome series though set like immediately after Revenge of the Sith or right before Phantom Menace or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the only big thing I would change from the prequels would be putting Dooku in TPM. I think that could give him a stronger story arc if he's in all three movies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vinylshadow posted:

Redo the start and Naboo sections of AotC to tone down Anakin's creep factor

Why?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Making Anakin older in TPM (to make more of the Anakin/Padme relationship early on, and at least make it vaguely believable that he could build a droid and a world class jet-powered racing car from scrap) and showing him using the Force in some raw way - like pulling his engine back in with it rather than with a magnetic selfie stick, or by actually getting angry as kids do and loving up Sebulba to win - would have made a hell of a difference. That way, he has a dark side to overcome (or succumb to) right from the start. It also would make Qui-Gon's decision to train him more hubristic, and Obi-Wan's failure both to fulfil his promise to his mentor and to save his friend more painful.

But no, he's the perfect angel child who gets corrupted by a couple of speeches from Space Hitler.

And yeah, having Dooku there from the start as an ally who turns evil would also have helped. (More Christopher Lee can never be bad.)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cue the "Rey's mom!!11!" and associated fart noises

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1015282239188361216

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

cue the "Rey's mom!!11!" and associated fart noises

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1015282239188361216

Misandry. :qq:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1015297052006371328

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Elizabeth Jennings doesn't hate men, she hates capitalism. She kills men. In horrifying numbers, and that's what I hope Keri Russell brings to the table in Ep IX.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Are they still doing the whole penis embargo thing i haven't been keeping up?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vinylshadow posted:

Just make Matthew Stover's RotS novelization into a film (which completely omits the Battle of Kashyyyk, sure, but do we really need a Chewbacca cameo?)

His Obi-Wan is a humble paragon of virtue I have no idea why you'd want that over Ewan McGregor or Alec Guiness's versions of the character.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the funny thing is episode 8 seems to respect the prequels more than it respects episode 7

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Wren610 posted:

Are they still doing the whole penis embargo thing i haven't been keeping up?

What?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

the funny thing is episode 8 seems to respect the prequels more than it respects episode 7

good

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ideal Star Wars viewing order:

II
III until I get bored, I mean I like the prequels but Padme is criminally underused

Wait 3 months

V
Auralnauts' The Last Laser Master

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

real star wars viewing order: II, the Bail Organa episodes of Clone Wars, III, the Bail Organa episodes of Rebels, Rogue One.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I prefer 1,2,3, solo, rogue one, 4,5,6,7,8.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

cargohills posted:

real star wars viewing order: II, the Bail Organa episodes of Clone Wars, III, the Bail Organa episodes of Rebels, Rogue One.

Does Jimmy Smits voice him in the cartoons?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Sadly not, but it’s the guy who played Vamp in MGS2 so that makes up for it.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Lampsacus posted:

I prefer 1,2,3, solo, rogue one, 4,5,6,7,8.

To be honest I think even if you like both films watching 7 and 8 in close proximity is going to give you whiplash. You should space out those 2 so that 7 is a hazy memory before watching 8.

So at least an hour between them :grin:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
RWEAL Star Wars watch order (trust me on this)

ANH
Sicario 2: So You Wanna Be A Soldado
Pumpkinhead
THX 1138
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
This music video by Gackt
Read Star Wars: Darksaber by Kevin J. Anderson
TPM
Pumpkinhead 2: Hypercube
Mobile Suit Gundam: New Mobile Report - Mobile Suit Gundam Wing - A Star Wars Story
TESB
TFA
That one Twilight Zone with the all-powerful kid
Solo, the David Bowie/Philip Glass collaboration
RotS

it's an emotional journey

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

Solo, the David Bowie/Philip Glass collaboration
RotS
it's an emotional journey
Philip Glass leading into that incredible space battle at the start of Return of the Sith is perfect. That battle gets me so crazy, it makes me feel like a child honestly. I was watching Legend of Galactic Heroes the other evening and I just wanted an upper atmosphere space battle. I love the way Anakin says 'They are coming around." nonironically.

My one problem with Rogue One is when k2so runs away after the ambush on Jeda. It looks so GGI.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The ending scene of Phantom Menace really effectively uses Philip Glass too---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRg3agJn1Mg[

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

galagazombie posted:

Solo was a really stupid idea and yet they did it anyway. Though one would have to think that with all the hate they've been getting with "ruining the original vision behind star wars" and the weird turnaround a lot of peoples opinions have had on the prequels that they know there would be too much negative backlash if they tried.

I don't think there was anything inherently stupid to the idea of Solo. The "no one cares about how Han Solo got his start!" thing is a post-facto meme generated by the movie's terrible buzz before it ever hit theaters. Lucasfilm made a mistake in allowing(?) the movie to be framed as "an origin story for Han Solo" as though he were another Marvel Superhero, when it should have been "a heist story featuring a young Han Solo."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

it should have been han sleeping with jabbas wife

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Harime Nui posted:

I don't think there was anything inherently stupid to the idea of Solo. The "no one cares about how Han Solo got his start!" thing is a post-facto meme generated by the movie's terrible buzz before it ever hit theaters. Lucasfilm made a mistake in allowing(?) the movie to be framed as "an origin story for Han Solo" as though he were another Marvel Superhero, when it should have been "a heist story featuring a young Han Solo."

I'll have to disagree with you there. Tons of people (myself included) thought it was a terrible idea from the day it was announced. And everything people jokingly said would make it bad ended up in the movie, namely the thing "prequel" stories always have these days where everything is made into some super-significant item/event that all happened over the course of a weekend. We now have groan inducing "origins" for every item ever held and line ever muttered by Han or anything related to Han. And exactly as predicted it's all overly literal and missing the point. The Falcon doesn't talk weird because the ship is a jerry-rigged muscle car held together by the will of the force, It now has a groan inducing explanation so literal you wonder if the writers actually speak english. Now Hans name is because he is literally Solo, now he literally had someone teach him to shoot first as if the Greedo scene had any major in-universe importance to his life (it didn't), now Han's gun is some special weapon gifted to him by his mentor like Luke receiving his lightsaber, and on and on and on. Its like a comedy skit about how dumb these kinds of movies are played without a hint of self awareness. And people called it out from the start. Hell isn't there some screen junkies skit from like five years ago that joked about them doing all this and whoops turns out it all actually happened in the movie?

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
There was no "right" way to do this movie. It shouldn't have included Han. It should have been called something like "Scoundrels: A Star Wars Story" and featured no name gangsters trying to heist and make it under the shadow of the Empire. Starring Dash Rendar if you really want to be nasty because now you have a whole potential series of new movies with no need to cross over into the main stories and no hackneyed forced callbacks with old characters where you already know how it'll end for them, because that's boring. Shiiid, you can even include Lando if you really want to. Instead, Solo's script felt like something a 15 year old would write for a school project, right down to Darth Maul out of nowhere because "it's cool". I still loved it though, as insipid as it was. But I'm also a dirty, dirty whore. :huh:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But then how would we know where Han got his legendary rear view mirror dice or his pant stripe

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There are probably still people who are furious that we've lost the EU backstory about Han possibly being an heir to the throne of Corellia, aren't there?

(Long story short: Han has to compete for Leia's affections with this space prince so C-3PO goes off and does some research and announces that Han is the descendant of the King of Corellia; later in the same book where this happens, he learns that the king in question was a pirate and a pretender to the throne, so it seems Han is just a smuggler; but then years and years later, another book revealed that in ancient times, there was a Corellian prince who won a war against the Republic and his name was... Solo.)

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
So the EU ripped off Spaceballs. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

There are probably still people who are furious that we've lost the EU backstory about Han possibly being an heir to the throne of Corellia, aren't there?

(Long story short: Han has to compete for Leia's affections with this space prince so C-3PO goes off and does some research and announces that Han is the descendant of the King of Corellia; later in the same book where this happens, he learns that the king in question was a pirate and a pretender to the throne, so it seems Han is just a smuggler; but then years and years later, another book revealed that in ancient times, there was a Corellian prince who won a war against the Republic and his name was... Solo.)

Is this from the Courtship of Princess Leia? I don't remember all of it but some highlights are that Solo steals a mind control gun and kidnaps Leia so she won't marry a prince from a previously unknown planet.

The price, like most of the self insert EU author characters is way cool, he has a belt buckle sheild that is better than a lightsaber and in my mind I always pictured him looking like He-man, furry underwear and bare chested.

He was cooler than Luke and Han had to complete with his affection for Leia, barely winning because Price Alien He-man was a massive charming rich beefcake.

Oh, EU, never change.