Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You should have planned for a better and more capable girlfriend :downsrim:

I kid, I kid.

Nothing wrong with traveling with first class. But I don’t get why you have to worry about bags and all that when everything is priority luggage.

You have money and you should have internet. Tokyo should be lots of fun, do check out the good shopping there. Lots of smaller but still great brands and isetan actually delivers your purchases to the airport for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah you have like the optimal and what should be mostly stress free trip imaginable because you’re gonna get waited on hand and foot. Don’t worry at all about baggage size; they should fit, and on the off chance they don’t you’re going to have priority baggage service and if you have to check it at the gate it will probably be out already by the time you leave immigration.

But man if you’ve got the money to burn you should be going overseas more often. No time like the present though.

You got/are going to get a rental SIM or or WiFi? Makes getting around much easier.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
nixon goes to china japan

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Phone posted:

nixon goes to china japan

you know nixon never tipped a porter

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
The cold scowl they receive will be praise enough. ...Maybe I should stop using the word porter?

Thanks again for the input. I'm putting together a short summary of plans for general making GBS threads upon.

Looks like Kyoto is getting hosed up right now. I saw a picture of Arashiyama and it looks pretty gnarly. Stay safe, Japan goons.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

But man if you’ve got the money to burn you should be going overseas more often. No time like the present though.

You got/are going to get a rental SIM or or WiFi? Makes getting around much easier.

It's a somewhat recent life change but yeah, that's my new goal. One big trip and 2-3 small trips annually. Next year I might brave a cruise ship...maybe.

I'm on project fi so I'm hopeful that it's as seamless as I've been reading about. I did pick up a hotspot as a backup through Japan wifi buddy and I'm bringing my 26000 mAh battery, which my lovely math tells me is just under the allowable size for a plane.

I am still a bit anxious about moving the two checked bags with a courier but I'm sure my clueless foreigner expression will win the heart and mind of whatever poor front desk person tries to help me.

E: thanks for the double post, awful app.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dude you are paying through the roof for front desk service, don’t sweat it.

You will be coming in from the airport, so everyone is trained to treat you like VIP since your first impression is important. And being a high end hotel, the staff are trained to handle all sorts of personalities - stuck up rich people, discrete rich people, not rich people, ogling peasants who just want to see the lobby,

And of course - rich clueless tourists. Yeah there’s no need to feel too bad at all, it’s not like you are coming in with 13 bags of shopping and DEMAND UTMOST CARE FOR YOUR SHOPPING BAGS. You will be fine.

If you can, just be super excited and positive and tell the front desk it’s FIRST INTERNATIONAL TRIP and ask for a freaking upgrade.

As for tipping tip whatever. Even if you don’t have your money up front. I’m sure you going back to the bellhop and giving them money will make their day.

And if you really want to make it rain you can ask for the number of front line staff and tip them 5000 or 10000 yen each (like my mom)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So what’s going on with the bag situation and courier ? I don’t get it. And mind if you tell us which hotel you are staying that offers station pickup?

Is it the Ritz Carlton or Peninsula ?

Oh and here’s a food map

Good food in tokyohttps://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/1tLjJSa6MpiuIeWTBsF1RwPSjynQ?hl=en

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Ha, thanks. I'm not intending to strut in like Kanye and start tossing bills at everyone, I'm not trying to get any special attention or pretend I'm some 1%-er. I only even asked because I didn't want to stiff or insult anyone and, again, anal planning and not carrying yen on me until I hit up a 7/11.

I'm staying at the four seasons. I've got a few smugness levels to go through before I'm staying somewhere like the Aman.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

You’re not a mainland tourist so you’re already a leg up. You’re gonna have a good time, we’re just giving you poo poo. I hope in your future travels you can get more comfortable / adventurous though, that’s where all the fun stories come from!

If you’re a Sprint customer, you will roam for free and at full speed on SoftBank and it is awesome. Faster LTE speeds than at home.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of Japanese hotels, according to the emails I've been getting recently, some English reservation software got owned

quote:

The following personal information maybe leaked to unauthorized parties, we ask our guests to be cautious with spam emails.

【Possible information leakage】
Guest name, email address, nationality, home address, check-in/out date, room charge, reservation number

Accordingly to “Fastbooking”, there is no leakage of payment information, bank information and password. “Fastbooking” has resolved the system hacking issue causing the incident, preventive measures are in placed to avoid any recurrence.

This incident was reported to the Personal Information Protect Commission Japan immediately following its confirmation. We sincerely apologized for the inconvenience caused and concerned raised to our guests and related parties.

We are promptly following through with “Fastbooking” on any updates and its preventive actions. We will advise again should there be any additional information.

Thank you for your attention.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

If I have to cancel my time in Kyoto due to it being underwater, I promise to spend a late night in piss alley.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
One last question I have for my upcoming Japan trip, guys.

I hired a group of 6 Japanese businessmen to follow me around. 1 to translate signs, 1 to carry my backpack, 1 to carry any figurines I buy, 1 to keep me supplied with water and sushi, and 2 to carry me around so I don't get lost. But I have no clue how much I should be tipping them?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

You're doing fine, don't sweat it. Everyone overpacks the first time.

Yeah, the first time I went to Japan I could barely fit all the figures and body pillows I bought into my suitcases. Next time I'll bring 0 clothes and a team of sherpas it'll work out better.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

The couple I'm going with has a weird approach. Not only are they planking on doing laundry in the hotel room (and I can only assume this means in the sink), they're bringing a bunch of old clothes to wear once and then throw away while there. I guess that's one way to create space for bringing home memories.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hotels have washing machines dude, there's also laundry service where you pay the hotel ~1k per bag and they wash yoru clothes

the throwing out clothes thing i have no comment on since i turn old clothes into shop rags

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I've never seen self service washing machines in a hotel, but I've never really looked either. I rolled my eyes at bringing clothes to throw away, but they rolled theirs at me bringing massive checked bags so whatever.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've never seen self service washing machines in a hotel, but I've never really looked either. I rolled my eyes at bringing clothes to throw away, but they rolled theirs at me bringing massive checked bags so whatever.

I always stay in business hotels because they always have washing machines, but sometimes you need to find a laundry place in the neighbourhood, its not a big deal to do washing when on a trip though.

And taking old clothes so you can throw it out is a great idea. as then you can buy new clothes, and as long as you are not a super goon most of the larger japanese stuff will fit you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

The American allergy to checking luggage is so frustrating, especially since you’re traveling international and get at minimum 45 lbs to check for free. And I know we’re giving you poo poo but a checked bag and a carry-on size really isn’t awful for that length of time.

There are ways to travel light and minimize what you’re bringing, by having clothes that can be re-used especially. But considering it’s Japan in summertime, sweatiness is a worry.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Remember, he first just said he had 4 suitcases without mention of partner, size, etc.

Also, checking bags is for suckers.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I travel to Asia between 4-8 times a year and Asians from Asia have the most baggage of everyone on average. So much poo poo that you regularly see them wheeling cardboard boxes of poo poo along with them. Americans generally have the standard set of items, 1.25 bags an average persons and carryon. Not sure where this weird Americans overpack thing is coming from

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Richard M Nixon posted:

The couple I'm going with has a weird approach. Not only are they planking on doing laundry in the hotel room (and I can only assume this means in the sink), they're bringing a bunch of old clothes to wear once and then throw away while there. I guess that's one way to create space for bringing home memories.

This is correct. The couple are obviously experienced travelers.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Stringent posted:

This is correct. The couple are obviously experienced travelers.

They're 25 years older than me and one had a career as a flight attendant so I'm trying to defer as much as I can, but excessive packing is going to be my signature move, it seems. At least I'm down to only three pairs of shoes...

Running shoes, mountain climbing boots, dress oxfords

I'm totally following their lead on fuji though. I've never done anything like it before and this will be the guy's third climb. Kind of glad that I've got someone to offer advice on that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I travel to Asia between 4-8 times a year and Asians from Asia have the most baggage of everyone on average. So much poo poo that you regularly see them wheeling cardboard boxes of poo poo along with them. Americans generally have the standard set of items, 1.25 bags an average persons and carryon. Not sure where this weird Americans overpack thing is coming from

That’s usually because they’re bringing some stuff to or from that they either can’t get at all at home or can only get for ridiculous prices. Sometimes people will actually buy a ton of stuff to sell once they get back to offset the cost of their trip. It’s not exactly “overpacking” because it’s not like they’re using that stuff on their trip.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Lol at flying first class to Japan then doing your laundry in a sink

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
on ANA and JAL Biz/First definitely order the Japanese option if you are not a baby about food. for ANA first, they serve Hibiki 21, which honestly is a better option than their 300-400$ champagne or whatever.

You can get caviar even if you get the Japanese option, but honestly a lot of Japanese seafood is better than caviar imho.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
also did you actually buy an ana first ticket or did you use points?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

They're 25 years older than me and one had a career as a flight attendant so I'm trying to defer as much as I can, but excessive packing is going to be my signature move, it seems. At least I'm down to only three pairs of shoes...

Yeah, that's some flight attendant stuff right there. Packing light is a big deal for frequent travellers because they want to minimize the possibility of airport hassles and for backpacker types because they'll end up lugging them around by foot. For you, having a checked bag will be no big deal. If you want you can even skip the whole porter thing and get your bags sent between the airport and the hotel. There's a luggage delivery service in Narita and the hotel concierges will take care of everything.

Have a good time in Japan. Great place to go for a first time abroad when you have $$$.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol at flying first class to Japan then doing your laundry in a sink

Hey they're doing their own thing to get there. Dude really wanted to fly on a dreamliner so he's going to another city and flying united Polaris.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ntan1 posted:

on ANA and JAL Biz/First definitely order the Japanese option if you are not a baby about food. for ANA first, they serve Hibiki 21, which honestly is a better option than their 300-400$ champagne or whatever.

You can get caviar even if you get the Japanese option, but honestly a lot of Japanese seafood is better than caviar imho.

Yeah I know their big thing is ~Krug~ which is awesome but I'm interested in trying some Japanese whiskey since I've never had it before. I also wanted to try some good sake and maybe shochu, if you have any recommendations.

I'm a little intimidated by some of the Japanese menu items but not entirely. The eel aspic is the only thing that really turned my stomach because aspic is a garbage tier food but I'm going to try it.

They only had one award ticket so one is purchased with miles and the other with cash. Apparently ANA award availability is garbage. I was later told that I could have waitlisted but the time for that is long past. Lesson learned.

Saeku posted:

Yeah, that's some flight attendant stuff right there. Packing light is a big deal for frequent travellers because they want to minimize the possibility of airport hassles and for backpacker types because they'll end up lugging them around by foot. For you, having a checked bag will be no big deal. If you want you can even skip the whole porter thing and get your bags sent between the airport and the hotel. There's a luggage delivery service in Narita and the hotel concierges will take care of everything.

Have a good time in Japan. Great place to go for a first time abroad when you have $$$.

I think they forgot that this is almost three weeks of leisure and not a redeye work trip, but \_/ I'm nobody to make fun of travel habits.

I didn't intend for a pagelong derail about luggage habits, I just wanted to confirm that the takyubin thing was working just as well in the other major tourist areas like Kyoto and Hakone. I don't intend throw myself down the escalator in NRT as I comicly fumble with six old-style travelling trunks. I think the worst I'll experience is bringing a carry-on sized bag on one of the local trains and getting hate glares.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 7, 2018

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

That’s usually because they’re bringing some stuff to or from that they either can’t get at all at home or can only get for ridiculous prices. Sometimes people will actually buy a ton of stuff to sell once they get back to offset the cost of their trip. It’s not exactly “overpacking” because it’s not like they’re using that stuff on their trip.

Every time I come back from the States my bags are 50% Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and maple syrup.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wait list never worked for me.

And if you are staying at the 4 seasons I would recommend you to pick oak wood premium.

It’s a serviced apartment that’s cheaper than 4 seasons and also right next to the Tokyo station. You also get a nice kitchen and washing machines. There’s no pool but you are in central Tokyo so who the gently caress cares.

And you have another couple traveling with you, not sure if you guys are on the same flight but if you guys are together then skip the porter service.

Actually skip the porter service. If you look at google maps, you can go snake along B1 and then go up to the hotel. Having the hotel pick you up is a nice gesture but if you can reach the hotel on your end then you should proud of yourself .

Yeah google maps and google translate it your friend. Don’t be like Bill Murray in lost in translation. I used to like the cinematically like that movie but gently caress that character - traveling to one of the nicer places in Tokyo and being so dismissive of the locals

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And don’t worry about overpacking stuff. My family over packs but they actually bring in a half empty suitcase for souvenirs when they go to japan. They are in Okinawa and at the end of July they will all go to Tokyo WITHOUT ME :qq:

gently caress I wanna go to Tokyo for the weekend when and catch up with limburg but I can’t go because I already made plans to go to Europe with my wife and inlaws :qq:

I’m cooped up in my house and the past half year I have been going back and forth between shanghai and Hong Kong. It’s nice to meet Magnakaser and goons there, work is good.

but deep down my heart is in Tokyo.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Wait list never worked for me.

And if you are staying at the 4 seasons I would recommend you to pick oak wood premium.

It’s a serviced apartment that’s cheaper than 4 seasons and also right next to the Tokyo station. You also get a nice kitchen and washing machines. There’s no pool but you are in central Tokyo so who the gently caress cares.

And you have another couple traveling with you, not sure if you guys are on the same flight but if you guys are together then skip the porter service.

Actually skip the porter service. If you look at google maps, you can go snake along B1 and then go up to the hotel. Having the hotel pick you up is a nice gesture but if you can reach the hotel on your end then you should proud of yourself .

Yeah google maps and google translate it your friend. Don’t be like Bill Murray in lost in translation. I used to like the cinematically like that movie but gently caress that character - traveling to one of the nicer places in Tokyo and being so dismissive of the locals

I mean that’s one of the points of the movie imo; they’re these sad characters living empty lives in an expensive hotel completely cut off from the community around them.

Also I first went to Japan in 2005 to go to language school for 10 weeks, a couple years after it came out, and gently caress was it annoying how everyone talked about how that movie was inspiring to them or something.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

LimburgLimbo posted:

Also I first went to Japan in 2005 to go to language school for 10 weeks, a couple years after it came out, and gently caress was it annoying how everyone talked about how that movie was inspiring to them or something.

Same except when studying abroad in 2010

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

Actually the best bet in Tokyo is to stay in some cheap biz hotel or hostel with a private room near a good station that you want, with coin laundry. Iunno it just doesnt make sense to cook in Tokyo, and you're not going to spend any time in the hotel. Instead, take that $500-$600 and book a luxury ryokan somewhere else another day.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Same except when studying abroad in 2010

Moreover it’s really nothing about Japan at all except for some background bullshit and a few gags about how Japanese are bad at English and sexweirds

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Actually the best bet in Tokyo is to stay in some cheap biz hotel or hostel with a private room near a good station that you want, with coin laundry. Iunno it just doesnt make sense to cook in Tokyo, and you're not going to spend any time in the hotel. Instead, take that $500-$600 and book a luxury ryokan somewhere else another day.

But this way there’s a knife included and you can slice up the melons yourself.

Can’t discount the comfortable bed and location for being right next to Tokyo Station. No more keio plaza for me

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
gently caress I'm never staying at knife place again. it was like a 11 minute walk to the station to which sucked like poo poo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol at the high rolling eikaiwa senseis humblebragging about flying around me business and first class. Err, get the filet Mignon in first class bro. Trust me, it’s delicious. Ps caviar isn’t that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Once I flew ANA economy and was hype when they gave out ice cream.