Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I think zestiria was in a bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bill Buckner posted:

That's a shame, I thought Berseria was pretty good.

A poorly received game usually means a dip for the one after.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria came out after a lot of negative stuff around zestiria, and zestiria's gone on sale for $7 multiple times over the years before berseria even released while the deepest discount berseria's started hitting is $15

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mutata posted:

code:
Brigador: Up-Armored Edition," 94,477
Tacoma," 76,114 
Tastes Where the WaterLike Wine," 9,061 "
Ouch.

Tacoma was excellent, I can understand it’s not a game that’s gonna be a huge seller though. I feel like that’s a pretty respectable number though, but I have no idea what the game cost to make.

Where The Water Tastes Like Wine was sadly a mechanically bad game. I dug the premise a lot

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Tacoma was excellent, I can understand it’s not a game that’s gonna be a huge seller though. I feel like that’s a pretty respectable number though, but I have no idea what the game cost to make.

Where The Water Tastes Like Wine was sadly a mechanically bad game. I dug the premise a lot

PC games have a longer tail than console games. At the end of March the dude was saying he had less than 3,000 sales or so but that number has tripled since. Granted he's still in the quadruple digits, but no indie console game would see a steady and appreciable growth over 5 months.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the ANet firing was 100% about her being a woman and anyone saying otherwise is really not tuned into whats fuckin going on in our trash poo poo world

https://twitter.com/ChrisHanel/status/1015138194939973632

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Andrast posted:

don’t attach your real name to a twitter profile

It’s pretty much the same thing as having your SA name be your actual name

For creative professionals, Twitter is a really hosed up situation that’s kind of inescapable. I know journalism better than I know games (but I know games a little) and Twitter is a place where you hang out with friends/industry buddies, meet people in your field, promote your work, interact with fans and critics and sometimes get harassed by a hate mob. It seems obvious then that you shouldn’t use Twitter but for a lot of people, the cocktail party atmosphere is a critical part of professional success because of the opportunities it opens up.

Going back to about 2010, 100% of the income I have earned can be linked back to contacts I made on Twitter with only a few projects in the past year being through other networking avenues (that are second order effects of contacts I made on Twitter). As Twitter has become more and more toxic, people are desperately searching for alternative ways of staying in touch with people, without losing access to opportunities.

Twitter is a perfect venue for creative professionals because these industries are already constantly asking you to blur the lines between work and personal life and Twitter is amazing at that. It’s unhealthy to link your name to your Twitter but it’s understandable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Twitter sucks so goddamned much.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

the ANet firing was 100% about her being a woman and anyone saying otherwise is really not tuned into whats fuckin going on in our trash poo poo world

https://twitter.com/ChrisHanel/status/1015138194939973632

Lmao, that post reads like parody. Their point of reference for how corporate policy should be isn't where they work, it's at their dad's restaurant.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

mutata posted:

So a bug in the system let people pull real player numbers from Steam's API. This shows the number of people who have ever launched all games that have achievements. This is the closest thing we'll probably ever have to a broad view of overall Steam sales numbers:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

There's a link to a csv file with the whole list. Go find your favorites and marvel at how little they've sold!

Edit: Link to the file: http://www.arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/games_achievements_players_2018-07-01.csv

Tomb Raider
drat

Rise of the Tomb Raider
drat

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Jealous

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Lmao, that post reads like parody. Their point of reference for how corporate policy should be isn't where they work, it's at their dad's restaurant.

Hey, do you know the name of their dad? Its Raising Cane's

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Btw that Rami guy is an awesome indie dev to follow on the tweetsters. He is also nice.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Tomb Raider
drat

Rise of the Tomb Raider
drat

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Jealous
wow look at that fall off

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

homeless snail posted:

Looking at some other games and genres I think there's just a trend of 'people really really really loving love sales'. I think it's just the first has been cheaper, more often.

And the third's been on sale 0 times so really just the worst thing you can do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Real hurthling! posted:

Hitman 2016 flopped bigly on pc probably due to the terrible episodic release and messaging around that

Also, to be fair, if someone played Absolution they'd be pretty justified in not wanting to come back to Hitman

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Macaluso posted:

Btw that Rami guy is an awesome indie dev to follow on the tweetsters. He is also nice.

He's 1/2 of Vlambeer and makes kickass games like Nuclear Throne, Luftrausers, and Ridiculous Fishing. He's very vocal about the trials and tribulations as an indie dev and is one of the best recurring guests on Giant Bomb.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

homeless snail posted:

The numbers mirror how long the games have been on market, too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Also, to be fair, if someone played Absolution they'd be pretty justified in not wanting to come back to Hitman

Every single one of them should be targets in hitman 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the hitman 2016 patient zero level except you're in a pressing plant trying to prevent discs of hitman absolution from escaping

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bill Buckner posted:

That's a shame, I thought Berseria was pretty good.

Zesteria is so bad many people dont care about tales now
rear end creed origins is also supposedly good but lol at jumping in early on the new decade of yearly rear end creed whatever games

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Were the 2d asscreed games set in China and India any good? I like that the series takes interesting historical settings but can't be bothered with all the bloat on them, and maybe the non-main line ones are better about that?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing the headstart of Defiance 2050, the game is dead. I have ran into no other players.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling! posted:

Zesteria is so bad many people dont care about tales now

i mean a lot of those people also didn't care about any tales games that weren't symphonia or vesperia

among the hardcore fanbase it's a divisive game but not base-destroying

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't care about any tales game thats not phantasia or star ocean 1

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gross

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only vaguely interesting part of star ocean 1 is that you can legally call the main character Rod Dick

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

The Colonel posted:

the only vaguely interesting part of star ocean 1 is that you can legally call the main character Rod Dick

Pretty good name

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

i mean it's narratively cool that ronixis is all "i realize i'm an ace space pilot but i want you to teach me how to be a hellsorcerer with death magic"

but mechanically mages suck

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Playing the headstart of Defiance 2050, the game is dead. I have ran into no other players.

I had no idea this even existed until reading your post so it's not really surprising.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Motto posted:

A poorly received game usually means a dip for the one after.

I didn't really like any of the ones after Vesperia and before Berseria.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wowwwwwww

Cities: Skylines 6,132,366

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

whoa there was a sequel to gunz: the duel

it was called gunz 2: the second duel

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oddium posted:

wowwwwwww

Cities: Skylines 6,132,366

Is this game really that good? I've never played it. How does it stack up to the SimCity series? SimCity 2000 holds a special place to my heart.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think it's really good but i'm not a civil engineer kind of person. eventually i just cheated everything and made pretty cities

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Is the Dying Light DLC worth it? I have the itch to play it again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

littleorv posted:

Its like 3 times bigger than the main game so yeah

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

littleorv posted:

The Following definitely is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

littleorv posted:

How do you feel about driving a buggy with a spiked cow-catcher and flamethrowers through a horde of zombies

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How do you feel about driving a buggy with a spiked cow-catcher and flamethrowers through a horde of zombies

Sounds good to me fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Feminist Cyborg Vs Last guy(gay) 27

• Locked thread