Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

But would that explain a droop that happens over days while the car is off?

Right what confuses me is "After a rodeo if there are no leaks" -- that video doesn't suggest the system is open and will bleed out fluid or anything.

If the rods are broke it would stay down all the time. Bad sensor could cause a drop after a day or two. Seen them fail in all kinds of half stages.

The rodeo is mainly for purging air out of the ABC system once it’s been opened for a repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, accumulators are basically the size of a softball and fairly easy to replace. There is a membrane inside of it with half of it filled with nitrogen. Membrane leaks...well that's where the fluid is going.

The rodeo test is very stressful on the car. I view it as a good thing, some do not. I'd rather have something fail in my driveway versus 200 miles away.

Have any clunks during startup when cold? That is a sign of cavitation and a hose leak.

Before or after the exhaust fires up? Before, no, besides intake whooshing. After, I'm not hearing anything over the exhaust.
Does each corner have independent refilling/leveling of the strut? I thought in the last few drives before the replacement, that, shortly after startup, the rear left had some pump sound going on while, maybe to raise the corner back up?

Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know Mercedes had its own implemementation of Citroen's suspension balls.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think they licensed Citroen's patent as Mercedes has been using that system on and off since the W114 S Class.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kimbo305 posted:

Called the shop, and Nick (who's Greek), said "yes, I calibrate. I make the car dance."

:snoop:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kimbo305 posted:

Before or after the exhaust fires up? Before, no, besides intake whooshing. After, I'm not hearing anything over the exhaust.
Does each corner have independent refilling/leveling of the strut? I thought in the last few drives before the replacement, that, shortly after startup, the rear left had some pump sound going on while, maybe to raise the corner back up?

Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know Mercedes had its own implemementation of Citroen's suspension balls.

Granted mine is a 221 and not a 220 so I'm taking a quick guess here. The sound you are hearing from the back left is probably the air tank/compressor for your seats. Sounds like a faint whine.

But no, no separate pumps. Also good you don't have any clunks. On mine, the leak was so minor I could hardly spot anything. Start the car cold and it literally felt/sounded like someone hitting the bottom of the car with a sledgehammer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Granted mine is a 221 and not a 220 so I'm taking a quick guess here. The sound you are hearing from the back left is probably the air tank/compressor for your seats. Sounds like a faint whine.
Ah ok. I also hear the seats themselves inflating/repressurizing faintly.

quote:

But no, no separate pumps. Also good you don't have any clunks. On mine, the leak was so minor I could hardly spot anything. Start the car cold and it literally felt/sounded like someone hitting the bottom of the car with a sledgehammer.

Will Star be able to diagnosis any specific part in the system as defective? If not, what part should I replace next? Is the valve replaceable as a unit?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Will Star be able to diagnosis any specific part in the system as defective? If not, what part should I replace next? Is the valve replaceable as a unit?

Perhaps, it has been a while since I've ran das/star/xentry (which is a good thing for me) but it is pretty incredible what you can do with it. It is fairly easy to use and in some cases gives suggestions on what to do. You can do the rodeo test for example. IIRC there is a calibration/normalization on the suspension levels but I can't quite remember the details. Whatever, should give you some answers. First thing to do is run the "test" in it that checks quite a few things and then look at the error log.

One of the weird ones I had after replacing a hose/accumulator...a few months later I heard a ticking noise. For some drat reason the front left raised up to full height (it looked like a 4x4 on one corner) and was as stiff as a 2x4. So with star I told it to release the pressure* and took it in. They did the rodeo for a couple hours, everything seemed fine but it was the tandem pump which I expected since that was where the noise was coming from. Problem hasn't came back knock on wood.

*I'll just warn you...and it will too...there are things that can kill or severely injure you. I know this might sound dumb but as I get older I feel compelled to give safety its respect. Dump the pressure through star it will shoot fluid everywhere and if someone has their fingers between the tire and fenders they will be amputated. Sit in the front seat with your laptop and pick normalize seats and it will be a scene out of Christine.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 27, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

STAR laptop came in the mail but I've been busy and too afraid to open it and get sucked in. The left rear stays up just fine for the first few days before it starts sagging, so I don't feel like I'm in a rush.

The other day, it was only 95F or so, but too hot apparently for the rear privacy screen to come up. After the AC had been on for a while, I tried again, and the rear passenger lent a hand and helped the car push the screen up. She said it was burning hot. Is that part of the pneumatic system, or is it electric? Given that symptom, guessing pneumatic?

Does the S65 have an LSD? Or is it cursed to one-wheel peel its puny 275 rear tires? Coming away from a light at a brisk pace, I heard the rear right chirping away with nary a light or intervention come up in the dash. The wheelbase is long enough that I didn't really notice anything besides the noise.
Trying to pass people really fast on the highway, I heard what sounded like a wheel well rub during the acceleration. I was fully raised once, so would be surprised if that were it. But it was pretty consistently produceable -- I just build up speed dangerously fast trying to test it out. I really like the brakes, at least. Not supercar powerful given the weight, but good feel and pretty strong.

I've driving it more in the manual mode (was mistaken about 2 manual modes -- the car was just in gears 1 and 2 respectively when I was looking!). I think the way it works (still haven't read the owner's manual online) is that it just tries to limit the top gear to shift into?
It's pretty slow to respond, and it ignores you at low speed low load situations, but it does give you engine braking, which is nice.
What's crazy, though, is if you're in an automatic shift mode and pull on the downshift paddle, it'll try to put it into 1M, aka top gear is 1st gear. I dunno what safteys are in place, but I don't really wanna try it out on the highway.

The rubber boots around the folding part of the mirrors have been cracking out. The PO told me it was going to happen, and he also said that most DIYers cut the harness and resplice there instead of feeding it out from somewhere deep in the body. Anyone heard about that?

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

kimbo305 posted:

STAR laptop came in the mail but I've been busy and too afraid to open it and get sucked in.
I want one of those so bad, but I can't justify dropping $700+ for it right now. I've got a Foxwell 520 Pro which gives tons of visibility as well as active tests and recoding. I still want the full STAR system, though. How much did you pay?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hell it has been a couple years so my memory is sort of hazy, but I think I picked up STAR 3 with Dell 610 laptop and the cables (which are somewhat amazing quality and quantity wise) for around $400 off of alibaba.

And at that price it has been worth every penny.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GPF posted:

I want one of those so bad, but I can't justify dropping $700+ for it right now. I've got a Foxwell 520 Pro which gives tons of visibility as well as active tests and recoding. I still want the full STAR system, though. How much did you pay?

It was 734 from DHGate. Shipped pretty quickly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

And no LSD, relies on traction control which is somewhat laughable. Try driving it in the snow. (hint: try not to)

275 ain't real puny, but it is at this level of HP and torque and size of the car. Probably tried to balance ride quality/performance. But it is quite easy to wag the tail especially coming out of a corner.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

275 ain't real puny, but it is at this level of HP and torque and size of the car. Probably tried to balance ride quality/performance. But it is quite easy to wag the tail especially coming out of a corner.

Yeah, 275 isn't too bad. Weight helps I imagine, but we're talking over 700 ft-lbs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, 275 isn't too bad. Weight helps I imagine, but we're talking over 700 ft-lbs.

Do you have 18's or 19's?

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

kimbo305 posted:

The rubber boots around the folding part of the mirrors have been cracking out. The PO told me it was going to happen, and he also said that most DIYers cut the harness and resplice there instead of feeding it out from somewhere deep in the body. Anyone heard about that?

If it's anything like my 2005 E320, it should be easy as anything to swap out. I never cut a wire if I can avoid it. I just clipped the hole a little bit and it stretched out fine, still doing a good job of wrapping around the wires. I'm not sure how deep into the door your wires go. Mine were directly under a panel that was accessed by opening the door. I'll bet there's a panel with an airvent in it that meets one in the dash when you close the door. If it's anything like my E, there should be connectors under that panel where the mirror electronics plug in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Do you have 18's or 19's?

19s. I think that's the smallest option. I didn't research up-sizing the widths when I got these new tires.

GPF posted:

I just clipped the hole a little bit and it stretched out fine, still doing a good job of wrapping around the wires.

Clipped the hole or clipped the rubber seal? And stretched meaning going around the mirror?

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

kimbo305 posted:

Clipped the hole or clipped the rubber seal? And stretched meaning going around the mirror?

Clipped a little cut in the wire hole in the center of the seal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Get the DAS/Star unit yet?

The ODB connector is sort of hit and miss due to how it designed. Don't let it get you down when trying to connect. As in, mess with it a little and then see if works. Don't assume the multiplexor is bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Finally unpacked it all, just so I could charge up the laptop battery.

This peripheral is part of STAR? Is it made by Panasonic or Merdeces? It looks like the same as the rest of the Toughbook.
What format is that giant plug?

kimbo305 posted:

I could 100% see this happening with my fiance:
https://jalopnik.com/rental-car-customer-accidentally-steals-someones-car-fo-1827514337

So far, she's mistaken a Sonata and a Jetta for the S65 when walking to the car in the parking lot:

At least the grays were very similar. I'm getting a clearer picture of what it means to be car blind.

I keep seeing the W220 headlights on the local buses:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hold up, what's happening on that magazine cover?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dagen H posted:

I think it's a Super GT replica. I haven't even read it yet, I'm so backed up with work.

Forgot to link this shot of the laptop and the peripheral:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

One other random and significant note -- it's insane how balanced the V12 is. No matter how hard you get on it, you really don't feel any per-piston vibration.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah that's the number one dope thing about v12s is the primary balance.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Looks like an Amphenol mil-spec plug to me

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dagen H posted:

Audi IMSA clone.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's a Super GT replica. I haven't even read it yet, I'm so backed up with work.

Forgot to link this shot of the laptop and the peripheral:

The peripheral is the multiplexer, which does all the actual work. The laptop is basically just to view what’s going on in the multiplexer. You can disconnect and restart your laptop, reconnect and be right back where you left off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Away this week but need to face my fears and at least hook the whole setup to the car when I get back.

muckswirler posted:

Yeah that's the number one dope thing about v12s is the primary balance.

When it's in manual mode, the only way I notice it's revved up is from the sound -- it feels the same at 5k as at 1k.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Short update: i loving love this car, and i loving hate this car

Last weekend, I had a bike ride in western Massachusetts, about 2 hours away.
Carefully stuffed my road bike sans front wheel into the back seat. Was running about an hour late, but just loving put the hammer down on the open roads. The transmission is still not great, but the torque more than makes up for it. Ended up coming in just ahead of the start time, but didn't matter since my friends were late.

After a full day's ride, packed back into the car and make a 3.5 hour ride up to NH to a friend's bachelor party. Already in progress, so again really hammered on the empty roads. I remember in the Z06, the car was very stable and composed past 90, but it would get uncomfortably loud from the wind going past all the seams and edges. In the S65, wind noise isn't really an issue even up to 100. Certainly floatier, but that's part of the formula -- I didn't have to white knuckle it at all. I was getting lazy and had to stop myself from just driving with one hand resting on the armrest.

The next morning, less than 10 hours parked, the left rear was already sagged pretty bad. What the hell? I've driven it a few times since and haven't seen the drop rate be that bad since.
When it's in its highway devouring element, the S65 is really excellent. But whenever some random glitch crops up, it just makes me wonder. Still haven't put together the STAR kit -- just in a funk with some condo renovation disputes with the neighbors.

Newly discovered glitches:
- the headlight on indicator LED beside the light control comes on and off on its own.
- the rear headrest are tied into the pneumatic system, so they like to recline into the unused mode on their own schedule
- with the rubber cover off the trunk open button, it takes either 2 or 3 clicks to open the trunk. And it likes to gently close after it's open for maybe 10s.
- this isn't a glitch, but just a construction quirk:
The shape of the windshield glass reflects the top chrome trim of the wood paneling on the dash, and makes it look like a crack in the glass at certain angles of the sun.
I haven't captured the effect in the day, but here's what the "crack" looks like at night:

I think the biggest let down of this car for me is that auto transmission. What a crazy vehicle it would be with a stick.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

https://www.eurocharged.com/products/-en106/65-series-performance-transmission-software

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what did you do with the SAAB

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I don’t have experience with their s65 stuff, but Eurocharged wasn’t ever able to give me a good TCU tune on my ‘05 E55 that would both firm up shifts and let me do unmitigated burnouts. The latter part was frankly more important at the time and across 2 or 3 TCUs we never got it figured out. I also used them for the e55’s engine tune as well as for our X5M’s tune but I didn’t really notice much of a difference post-tune on either car...

While I don’t see people having issues with Eurocharged, I question how effective their tunes actually are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

1) Heh, on mine (w221) the trunk button is flaky. It feels like it has a mind of its own. Curious if you tried a firmware upgrade of the trunk module controller via DAS/STAR.

2) It would be a hoot with a manual...

When you "get on it" the car doesn't really start feeling its oats until the 60-70 mph range. I mean sure, it is quite a crap your pants moment when starting slow and you gun it. But at that point the big twelve and turbos going full bore you are breaking the law in most cases before it can really shine.

But going back to the manual part...wouldn't be fun trying to park in a lot. But at the same time, the engine could couldn't care less what gear you were in.

Didn't realize the headrests on the w220 were pneumatic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In some of the other threads people were questioning "what's the difference between 500hp and 600hp?"
Of course you're not always gonna be using the max power of the car, but it's still there, and someone actually pulls out of the passing lane after sitting there for a half a mile, feeling the car spool up, downshift, and push you to 100mph in a few seconds is something else.

Colostomy Bag posted:

But going back to the manual part...wouldn't be fun trying to park in a lot. But at the same time, the engine could couldn't care less what gear you were in.
As long as the clutch weren't super duper heavy. From a stop, trans slips a lot, compared to what I'm used to. Like it's only auto car I've been in where, if I'm on an incline, it'll roll back pretty fast unless you get on the gas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what did you do with the SAAB
We still have it! I like that car a lot. The steering/handling is a lot sportier, and I like the looks more.
300hp coupled with smarter shifting is totally adequate around town.
Having fold-down back seats means it's the beater car for hauling stuff from Home Depot.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

In some of the other threads people were questioning "what's the difference between 500hp and 600hp?"
Of course you're not always gonna be using the max power of the car, but it's still there, and someone actually pulls out of the passing lane after sitting there for a half a mile, feeling the car spool up, downshift, and push you to 100mph in a few seconds is something else.

Yeah, sort of the point I was making. I'm not quite sure where mine will end up but thinking the tune route with the transmission, better intercooler pump, ECM, etc. Should hit around 700HP at that point. Might as well go out with a bang.

I always find it funny when I have someone else drive the car.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

As long as the clutch weren't super duper heavy. From a stop, trans slips a lot, compared to what I'm used to. Like it's only auto car I've been in where, if I'm on an incline, it'll roll back pretty fast unless you get on the gas.

Yeah, that's not good. Kind of curious what angle of grade you are talking about. On mine it has an inclination sensor so it applies back brakes on hills. Not sure on the W220.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slopes where I would tell myself to make sure to clutch out promptly to not roll back too much on a manual. So noticeably steep. But yeah, it's one of those hmmmmm areas of the car.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I personally can't stand the Comfort setting on the E63, and will change it to Sport immediately.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Eurocharged is a lot cheaper than Renntech, but I'm not super fond of removing the ECU and TCU and mailing them off to get modified.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

don't you mash the brake pedal after you stop in mercs to get them to hill hold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Eurocharged is a lot cheaper than Renntech, but I'm not super fond of removing the ECU and TCU and mailing them off to get modified.

You can do remote ECU tunes with Eurocharged through various tune-box or software + OBD2 cable methods but yeah. The reason I ended up with 2 TCUs to begin with was due to shipping one off and still being able to drive the car in the meantime.