Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Leraika posted:

I wish there was a version of 3.5 that kept the parts that were good, namely the Binder class, and tossed the parts that were bad, namely everything else.

Secrets of Pact Magic exists so that's pretty much the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Fate Core does this pretty well.

For some reason I had it in my head that Fate was incredibly crunchy and difficult. Maybe I mixed it up with FATAL.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

For some reason I had it in my head that Fate was incredibly crunchy and difficult. Maybe I mixed it up with FATAL.

...An easy mistake for sure.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Slimnoid posted:

Secrets of Pact Magic exists so that's pretty much the same thing.

This is going to sound needlessly picky but I don't really like how SoPM handles things like influence and I don't like how few of their vestiges have any basis in real mythology, which was the cool part for me.

e: also Grimoire of Lost Souls was extremely high in fetish content and bad ideas

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

holy lmao. No FATE is basically THE fairly light universal system. I'd say it's good for anything that isn't going to be seriously combat focused, though most of the time you're probably going to want to pick up a hack or make up some additional subsystems, because Core is pretty bare bones.

On the other hand, I would steer you away from Fate Accelerated.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Magic is common and forms a sort of backbone to society or technology, i.e. isn’t particularly “special”. The system can handle actions by characters who intuitively weave magic as easily as mundane characters can move around.

Basically a system that can handle “I’m a fire mage so I’m going to <anything fire related>” without breaking horribly and letting players control the sun at level 1.

What kind of stpries do you want to tell in this setting?

Setting-wise, what you are talking about is Eberron.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Covok posted:

Personally, I find them more as a stream of misinformation.

this is also everyone's older brother who taught them 2nd ed tbf

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

moths posted:

D&D is pretty garbage overall, largely due to its culture and fanbase. All of the appeal comes from nostalgia and its role as "default fantasy. "

While I agree with the first statement, I think the second is hyperbolic. There's a lot of neat things in D&D's lore and monster designs and spell ideas that's buried under a lot of bad mechanics and weird design philosophies that seem afraid of player creativity. 4e, while not a perfect game, did a good job of creating some fun mechanics and unifying some of the better aspects of the lore into something coherent and interesting. It's just that D&D is currently under the yoke of people who love the worst parts of the game and don't understand the good parts at all. The fact that this has coincided with an explosion in the game's popularity is endlessly annoying.

Plutonis posted:

Skullgirls is mediocre definitely would like a loving thread for talking about a game without some pearl clutching cretin coming in every five pages or so to start a derail.

See, Plutonis agrees that it's bad, because he likes it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DOA is fine, I just dislike Lab Zero's ouevre.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Covok posted:

Personally, I find them more as a stream of misinformation.

You're not wrong, but this sort of implies that most people actually value playing RPGs RAW instead of "Rules As I Remember Them And We're Having Enough Fun As It Is So gently caress It".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

Skullgirls is mediocre definitely would like a loving thread for talking about a game without some pearl clutching cretin coming in every five pages or so to start a derail.

Skullgirls is not mediocre. Where did you get that delusion?

Pollyanna posted:

I can’t think of a magical version of DBZ that already exists.

I know this is sarcasm, but is Magi this? You know, that series about the Aladdin guy? The Shonen series about Aladdin? I've never seen it, I'm wondering if it's any good.

spectralent posted:

this is also everyone's older brother who taught them 2nd ed tbf

Well, then it is an accurate metaphor.

Anyone reading the comic book Giant Days? It's very good. I just feel like mentioning it. I guess, to tie back to board games, it would be pretty good example of Chuubos.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Got another Unity email earlier today:

quote:

There have been several inquiries into how non-backers can get their hands on the Digital PDF Corebook. We wanted to ensure the majority of our backers received their copy first and we’re reaching a point where many have opened their emails and claimed their copy. We are currently working on setting up a store. We will hopefully be able to open up digital sales over the course of the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, if you have friends that are itching to purchase a copy and can’t wait, you are welcome to tell them they can send an email to us at support@unity-rpg.com with the subject title: “DIGITAL PDF ORDER” and let us know who referred them. We will get them sorted no problem.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
wait, they're delaying the game - at least in part - because people are taking too long to redeem their pdf codes?! that's so weird

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Skullgirls is not mediocre. Where did you get that delusion?

From playing Arcsys games.

quote:

I know this is sarcasm, but is Magi this? You know, that series about the Aladdin guy? The Shonen series about Aladdin? I've never seen it, I'm wondering if it's any good.

No, there's a bunch of wizards but at the end it's people using djinn weapons and poo poo. You're thinking of Fairy Tail.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

From playing Arcsys games.

No, there's a bunch of wizards but at the end it's people using djinn weapons and poo poo. You're thinking of Fairy Tail.

Arcsys is good without any qualification. As long as we ignore their latest BlazBlue title. Because that was a bit of garbage. But, I still think Skullgirls is better than the average fighting game. It did come out with a lack of features, but that was fixed in patches.

And I forgot about Fairy Tail. But I thought Fairy Tail wasn't about Wizards, that it was just an excuse to put a redhead in a series of revealing outfits.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I thought people generally liked Cross Tag Battle? I guess I haven't looked into it too much...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kai Tave posted:

Got another Unity email earlier today:

So, uh, is Kai Tave a good name to use for the referral if we do try this?

Covok
May 27, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I thought people generally liked Cross Tag Battle? I guess I haven't looked into it too much...

My understanding is that half of the roster is DLC and that was announced before the game was launched and there is no offline play because they decide to cut arcade mode at the last minute. And we know they cut arcade mode because their arcade cabinets in the main lobby with a road leading to them but you can do nothing with them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Arcsys is good without any qualification. As long as we ignore their latest BlazBlue title. Because that was a bit of garbage. But, I still think Skullgirls is better than the average fighting game.

Oh yes I can definitely say that Skullgirls is better than SFV, MVCI and Injustice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

So, uh, is Kai Tave a good name to use for the referral if we do try this?

Yeah, go for it.

Countblanc posted:

wait, they're delaying the game - at least in part - because people are taking too long to redeem their pdf codes?! that's so weird

Yeah it's weird, but I guess this is progress? Sort of?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, go for it.

Yeah it's weird, but I guess this is progress? Sort of?
I think it's weird he wants to do his own storefront instead of DTRPG but hey, whatever works.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

I think it's weird he wants to do his own storefront instead of DTRPG but hey, whatever works.

I thought this too but maybe having it on their own store means they get more of the profits? I assume DTRPG charges some sort of transaction percentage on sales.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I thought this too but maybe having it on their own store means they get more of the profits? I assume DTRPG charges some sort of transaction percentage on sales.
Yeah I am positive that's it, but I still dunno if it's the right call. DTRPG gives you more eyeballs, I am sure.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

If you agree to be exclusive, they take about 30% of your sales.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moriatti posted:

What kind of stories do you want to tell in this setting?

Dragons fighting airships powered by crystal engines. God-planets spitting undead fungus on the world to digest it. Giants turning into pillars of salt when they die and maddening the populace with their body's particles. Arcane radio towers transmitting song magic from the planet's soul. Tools and physical manifestations of magic rebelling against their masters. Mages that bend aether to smite their foes, cook their food, and talk to their moms. All sorts of planar fuckery. The crazier, more out-of-hand poo poo.

quote:

Setting-wise, what you are talking about is Eberron.

Eberron is also cool, but apparently it's not as popular as Forgotten Realms I think?

Covok posted:

Never seen it. :shrug: I've heard good things, though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pollyanna posted:

Eberron is also cool, but apparently it's not as popular as Forgotten Realms I think?

Popularity shouldn't determine what you should or should not run. Eberron has a ton of supplemental material for it, and while nothing will ever approach the sheer volume of work in FR, the stuff that is out for Eberron is both good and consistent in terms of setting tone and expectations.

Also FR sucks.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A) you fool that’s how you summon arivia

B) some individual subsettings in forgotten realm are cool, but for some reason all the media focuses on the sword coast, which is intensely boring

C) Ebberon is cool, you might want to read some Exalted material too. It kinda does the super high magic tech stuff

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Judging solely by the videogames set in the Forgotten Realms...

Yeah, it's a pretty uninteresting setting without much going for it beyond name recognition if you're big on tie-in novels or w/e.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Dragons fighting airships powered by crystal engines. God-planets spitting undead fungus on the world to digest it. Giants turning into pillars of salt when they die and maddening the populace with their body's particles. Arcane radio towers transmitting song magic from the planet's soul. Tools and physical manifestations of magic rebelling against their masters. Mages that bend aether to smite their foes, cook their food, and talk to their moms. All sorts of planar fuckery. The crazier, more out-of-hand poo poo.

how strong do you want the player characters to be?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Serf posted:

how strong do you want the player characters to be?

I guess it depends. It might be fun to run a game about overpowered assholes that are effectively gods. That's "epic" level campaigns, right? But I guess the question I have is, does having a setting and a system that supports balancing that setting rule out non-overpowered characters? Is it possible to have high magic and still keep things interesting and dangerous?

Also the only thing I know about Forgotten Realms is that Chult exists and that TAZ only nominally takes place there, and everything else about it is homebrew.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
High magic settings lend themselves to powerful PCs but don’t have to. I’d check out Godbound and Exalted for setting inspirations

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I guess it depends. It might be fun to run a game about overpowered assholes that are effectively gods. That's "epic" level campaigns, right? But I guess the question I have is, does having a setting and a system that supports balancing that setting rule out non-overpowered characters? Is it possible to have high magic and still keep things interesting and dangerous?

Also the only thing I know about Forgotten Realms is that Chult exists and that TAZ only nominally takes place there, and everything else about it is homebrew.

Godbound is the way to go, it seems. If you pick up the deluxe version there's even rules for Heroic Mortals, who kinda occupy that middle space between average adventurer and literal demigod.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Actually yea Godbound with only martial arts, cybernetics, and mortal magic will give them a good range of power without the setting warping power that goes with Words

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds interesting...how about high magic with not-so-powerful characters? Is that just a matter of setting, or are they mutually exclusive?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you want to do low powered characters in a high powered setting you’re probably just going to have to plug your favorite system into a custom setting, or even just into Godbound.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm gonna do the opposite and have the party be the Floor Guardians of the Great Tomb of Nazarick on a low level setting world full of dweebs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah check out Godbound. The rules are free, even.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Plutonis posted:

I'm gonna do the opposite and have the party be the Floor Guardians of the Great Tomb of Nazarick on a low level setting world full of dweebs.

Roleplaying games are about being strong as gently caress in a world full of poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting at. It's still possible to be strong where others are weaker when magic is plentiful and integrated into society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Pollyanna posted:

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds interesting...how about high magic with not-so-powerful characters? Is that just a matter of setting, or are they mutually exclusive?

You can definitely do all of this in Fellowship, for sure. The setting can get very high magic depending on how much the players embrace their ability to Command Lore. One of my games has halflings as elemental gods powered by the beliefs of their community, which leads to things like "this lumberjack community has a pine tree bear god watching over it" or "this old ruins is guarded by an ancient evil halfling who is angry their community was destroyed." And the Halfling player themselves is a river god, who can conjure their river to sweep away foes (which is mechanically just a Keep Them Busy check).