Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I use Snap Links Plus to open a heap of tabs at a time from SA's control panel because individually clicking on each link is for cavemen.

I just keep all the threads I follow open. Then I can press down Ctrl and alternate between R and Tab to refresh half a dozen threads and continue where I left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I didn't anticipate just how much I'd enjoy having the dark theme being extended to the menu and new tab page.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Dark One posted:

I didn't anticipate just how much I'd enjoy having the dark theme being extended to the menu and new tab page.

Maybe they can extend it to the blank page you see when opening a link in a new tab before it loads the page, I've taken to instinctively shutting my eyes for a few seconds when using Firefox on my phone at night.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
RSS feeds and Live Bookmarks are getting the heave-ho in 62 or 63. Gutted. Any extensions picking up the slack?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
From like a month ago, but RE: firefox making windows wake back up

I think it's due to the video-playback disabling autosleep so it doesn't shutdown 10 minutes into a 30-minute youtube video.

That's been my experience anyway, it's either gotten confused about the state when I closed a tab that was playing, or there's some lovely autoplay video on a garbage website that's demanding your machine stay awake for it.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

WattsvilleBlues posted:

RSS feeds and Live Bookmarks are getting the heave-ho in 62 or 63. Gutted. Any extensions picking up the slack?

yeah I'm bummed about this too. FeedBro seems to be the closest thing I can find, but I'm going to miss the native Live Bookmarks.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/25/mozilla-plans-to-remove-rss-feed-reader-and-live-bookmarks-support-from-firefox/

quote:

Mozilla is working on alternatives such as Pocket or Reader Mode, and on improving WebExtensions which could provide features related to RSS/Atom feeds without the toll on maintenance.

What can we use to replace this feature that we claim only 0.1% of our users make use of? A feature that no one wants or uses!

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 28, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pocket is hot garbage, but I find Reader mode useful to convert big news articles and blog posts into easier to read formatting even on desktop.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Pikestaff posted:

yeah I'm bummed about this too. FeedBro seems to be the closest thing I can find, but I'm going to miss the native Live Bookmarks.

I've been using Feedbro since... Bamboo(?) stopped working for me a while back.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Pocket is hot garbage

It is? I find it quite handy for keeping a list of links to, y'know, read later. Is there a better alternative (instead of bookmarking everything I might look at once)?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Pocket is good, people just have a grudge against it because Mozilla sullied their precious default toolbar with a button for it

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
They need tabs on bottom.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Live bookmarks going away will just gut me. There is nothing that can replicate it. Web extensions doesn't have the apis necessary to allow it to be remade. I've used them for as long as I've used Firefox (and I've been using it since it was called Phoenix) and they have become a part of my browsing flow. I hate you Mozilla.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Milkman posted:

Pocket is good, people just have a grudge against it because Mozilla sullied their precious default toolbar with a button for it

Also, it's bad.

Nalin posted:

Live bookmarks going away will just gut me. There is nothing that can replicate it. Web extensions doesn't have the apis necessary to allow it to be remade. I've used them for as long as I've used Firefox (and I've been using it since it was called Phoenix) and they have become a part of my browsing flow. I hate you Mozilla.

Probably best to switch to a real RSS reader. I like Newsblur, but there are plenty others.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

If pocket is bad, maybe recommend an (open source) alternative, because I haven't found anything for "read later, tag appropriately"-situations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I switched to Feedbro after my previous RSS ticker extension that used my Live Bookmarks for the feed list died. Sucked converting all the bookmarks over but it seems to work as advertised.

No opinion on Pocket, I haven't used it. If they add RSS scanning so that I'll get alerted for updates without drowning me in stuff I've already read I'll consider it though.

FRINGE posted:

This man speaks truth.

Something Witty
Jan 24, 2009
Fun Shoe

FRINGE posted:

Add:

code:
#TabsToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 3 !important;
  margin: 0 !important;
  padding: 0 !important;
  background: transparent !important;
}
to your userchrome.css

Kinda janky, some transparency might be messed up and I also had to enable the titlebar for it not look like garbage. This and other (possibly out-of-date) tweaks here (not mine).

Something Witty fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 29, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Milkman posted:

Pocket is fine, whatever. If I actually wanted to use Pocket, I'd use Pinboard.

Pocket is a lovely replacement for live bookmarks. Live bookmarks live in the bookmarks and are an easy way to see a single site's recent content. Pocket is build around consolidated flow. (This also applies to full-feature newsreaders.)

Live bookmarks getting removed with Pocket suggested as what people should switch to makes my :tinfoil: senses go off. Pocket is an ad-based service and I can't help but wonder if this was an intentional kill to push use of a revenue generator.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I did a bit of googling, and a pocket alternative you can host yourself is shiori https://github.com/RadhiFadlillah/shiori

I've installed it, you can import your pocket list together with tags. Seems ok.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Klyith posted:

Live bookmarks live in the bookmarks and are an easy way to see a single site's recent content

But I don't want to see a site's latest content, I want to save a specific article for reading later and not have 50+ bookmarks

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Klyith posted:

If I actually wanted to

nexus6 posted:

save a specific article for reading later and not have 50+ bookmarks
I'd use Pinboard.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I only want to read the text and not use image galleries etc, I press the reader view button and save as PDF. On mobile at least. On my laptop the page usually just holds.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I keep things I want to read later open in a tab and then when I get too many of them I shove them into OneTab. :shobon:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
New logos being designed:

http://www.huhmagazine.co.uk/firefox-is-redesigning-its-icons-and-it-wants-your-help/

Not a fan. What's wrong with the current logo, Mozilla?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: nevermind

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 31, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's wrong with the current logo, Mozilla?

It says right in the thing: the artists at Mozilla think that the current logo is hard to make derivatives of while keeping all of them looking like they "belong" together. If you look at the gallery, it gives you a better idea of what they're doing (and it shows how the actual Firefox logo probably won't change too much).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

GitLab

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Avenging Dentist posted:

It says right in the thing: the artists at Mozilla think that the current logo is hard to make derivatives of while keeping all of them looking like they "belong" together. If you look at the gallery, it gives you a better idea of what they're doing (and it shows how the actual Firefox logo probably won't change too much).

And why do they need to make derivatives of it?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wooger posted:

do you not know that graphic design, as a discipline, exists

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you not know that graphic design, as a discipline, exists

They gotta do something with that art degree.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's why we have McDonalds :shrug:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

wooger posted:

Because Mozilla would like to make things other than just Firefox, while also having a consistent branding style for all of them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
they need derivative designs for other mozilla projects that they want to tie into firefox branding (because firefox is still their most successful project)

the better question is "why is a non-profit foundation so obsessed with branding and re-branding?"

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Klyith posted:

they need derivative designs for other mozilla projects that they want to tie into firefox branding (because firefox is still their most successful project)

the better question is "why is a non-profit foundation so obsessed with branding and re-branding?"
A non-profit with really only one purpose for existing, Firefox. Seems like they've become awfully corporate and concerned with branching out when they should probably just be focused on making the best browsers possible if they want to continue being relevant competing against tech giants.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Spyde posted:

A non-profit with really only one purpose for existing, Firefox. Seems like they've become awfully corporate and concerned with branching out when they should probably just be focused on making the best browsers possible if they want to continue being relevant competing against tech giants.
But how would marketing/branding/artists accomplish fix bug X and/or add feature Y?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

Too many art major "UX designers" and no actual programmers?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Spyde posted:

A non-profit with really only one purpose for existing, Firefox.

No

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

What else does Mozzarella do?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Klyith posted:

yes, why would an organization with millions of users and customers care about branding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm

Lambert fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 1, 2018