Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Been working on a Hollywood Tiger for an upcoming Kelly's Heroes anniversary event and I think I'm more or less finished with it outside some basic decals.
Oh and the four rings around the barrel I realize now.
Granted I am missing some foliage on the sides but no idea how to pull that off well.

That's some sexy zimmerit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Been working on a Hollywood Tiger for an upcoming Kelly's Heroes anniversary event and I think I'm more or less finished with it outside some basic decals.
Oh and the four rings around the barrel I realize now.
Granted I am missing some foliage on the sides but no idea how to pull that off well.

Hi Citadel + Model Color buddy.

That’s a fine looking tank.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Harkano posted:

Did someone say Wet Palette?

Just had this Kickstarter arrive.

Tried it out briefly this morning and it seems really solid (the absorbent foam is really nice). Will see how it handles a few hours of blistering UK weather when I open it again tonight.

Daaaammmnnnn. Still waiting on mine to arrive. Lucky bitch.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

That's some sexy zimmerit.

Thankfully I didn't have to add that onto it as it turned out.
But I've already built a dislike for Warlords brand of plastic and dealing with metal pieces and its penchant to having paint flake off at the slightest touch.

Shadin posted:

Hi Citadel + Model Color buddy.

That’s a fine looking tank.

Someday I want to get back to painting models kits again. :shobon: Warhammer just takes a lot less space in comparison.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Goddamn do I like this color scheme

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Harkano posted:

Did someone say Wet Palette?

Just had this Kickstarter arrive.

Tried it out briefly this morning and it seems really solid (the absorbent foam is really nice). Will see how it handles a few hours of blistering UK weather when I open it again tonight.

I never heard of these. What makes it everlasting? I've never been able to wrap my head around getting a wet palette to work as intended. Attempts have usually resulted in the wax paper becoming either too wet so that it eventually tears, or too dry. So it's been the old tile palette for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Das_Ubermike posted:

I never heard of these. What makes it everlasting? I've never been able to wrap my head around getting a wet palette to work as intended. Attempts have usually resulted in the wax paper becoming either too wet so that it eventually tears, or too dry. So it's been the old tile palette for me.

You need to use parchment paper, not waxed paper, FFS

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Skails posted:

My first painted miniature:

What's up, ancient-GW-plastic-skeleton-as-first-painted-miniature buddy! :hb::hf::hb:

EDIT: Oh, and if we're posting pictures of tanks in here now, here's one I just finished recently:

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Das_Ubermike posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061749597/everlasting-the-best-wet-palette-for-miniature-pai

Some combination of the foam (which is very different from stuff I've seen in my other wet palettes), the paper, and the airtight lid. It doesn't actually claim to last forever, but keeping your paint going overnight is generally good enough. The paper seems really good quality at least, dont' see it tearing.

I've been using dimple palettes for a while, but I'm looking forward to going back to wet, with an option for dimple on the occasion it's useful.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

Thankfully I didn't have to add that onto it as it turned out.
But I've already built a dislike for Warlords brand of plastic and dealing with metal pieces and its penchant to having paint flake off at the slightest touch.

Now I want to make one of those "T-34 cosplaying a Tiger" Slavbodges they talk about...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn do I like this color scheme

haha, thanks man. I've always had a thing for white and to this day most of my models have some. I was going for a malal type thing

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

What's up, ancient-GW-plastic-skeleton-as-first-painted-miniature buddy! :hb::hf::hb:

EDIT: Oh, and if we're posting pictures of tanks in here now, here's one I just finished recently:

gently caress yes

i need to get off my rear end and weather that panzer iv

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can't imagine spending real money on a wet palette when you can throw one together with basic stuff from the kitchen for a few quid.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

So following the thread's advice, I just went ahead and painted the other two Chaos Marines, and I think they came out pretty good relatively okay.

You'll get there, dude

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

sassassin posted:

I can't imagine spending real money on a wet palette when you can throw one together with basic stuff from the kitchen for a few quid.

Or you can pay $10 for one on Amazon.

But, then again, this $50 one has been "Tested & approved by Pro-Painters" (presumably those frequenting eBay.)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zuul the Cat posted:

Coming together nicely, I think! Now to pick out details, then transfers, then weathering.

This looks great, I love that guys knight conversion bitz, the bell is awesome.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Does anyone have a recommendation on materials to use to transfer GW paints to dropper bottles? I know I've seen it done by someone either in here or the 40k thread but I haven't been able to re-find it, and Amazon has rapidly given me analysis paralysis with approximately 10 billion results for dropper bottles and tiny funnels and agitators.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

FromTheShire posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on materials to use to transfer GW paints to dropper bottles? I know I've seen it done by someone either in here or the 40k thread but I haven't been able to re-find it, and Amazon has rapidly given me analysis paralysis with approximately 10 billion results for dropper bottles and tiny funnels and agitators.

I used these:

https://www.usplastic.com/mobile/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=44774&categoryid=530

Combined with cheap plastic funnels from Amazon meant for essential oils (I snipped most of the spout off) and a mix of Liquitex flow aid and Lahmian Medium (about 1:1 of each into the pot until it flowed smoothly).

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I used these bottles and hematite beads for agitators. The bottles will be on the bigger size for GW pots and just big enough for transferring P3 pots with room for some fluid used to aid the process.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Okay, so... considering that they're both clear acrylic mediums, is there any significant difference between pledge future and lahmian?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Ceebees posted:

Okay, so... considering that they're both clear acrylic mediums, is there any significant difference between pledge future and lahmian?

Yes, pledge is a gloss and lahmian isn't.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
So, what about Pledge vs Ardcoat?

I mean, i've bought ultrasmurfs, i know what GW thinks they can get away with by slapping a doofy fantasy name on a box. But i'm looking at a 27oz bottle of future and a 1.5oz pot of Citadel for the same price, going, "Noooo... right?"

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ceebees posted:

I mean, i've bought ultrasmurfs, i know what GW thinks they can get away with by slapping a doofy fantasy name on a box. But i'm looking at a 27oz bottle of future and a 1.5oz pot of Citadel for the same price, going, "Noooo... right?"

They are both gloss mediums. Ardcoat is quite a bit thicker than pledge, which is the consistency of skim milk and airbrushes easily. I'd just go with Pledge since it works fine when painted on too.

DandyPandy
Oct 4, 2003

I'm not an actor, but I used to play one on TV.

Ceebees posted:

I use Liquitex Gloss Varnish to seal models and then a 2:1 mix of Liquitex Matte Varnish and Liquitex Gloss Varnish to finish it. I haven't tried Pledge or Future, but have been using the Liquitex products for the past few years with great results. I shoot it through my airbrush with no problem.

(By the way, this is my first post in over a decade.)

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

DandyPandy posted:

I use Liquitex Gloss Varnish to seal models and then a 2:1 mix of Liquitex Matte Varnish and Liquitex Gloss Varnish to finish it. I haven't tried Pledge or Future, but have been using the Liquitex products for the past few years with great results. I shoot it through my airbrush with no problem.

(By the way, this is my first post in over a decade.)

Welcome back.

Seconding Liquitex varnishes. I use Ultra Gloss, Satin, and Matte both with a brush and airbrush and they’re great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shadin posted:

Welcome back.

Seconding Liquitex varnishes. I use Ultra Gloss, Satin, and Matte both with a brush and airbrush and they’re great.

Do you thin them when airbrushing?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you thin them when airbrushing?

When I first got them and was playing around I thinned them with a little flow aid but found it’s not really necessary.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Pledge Future stuff is amazing. Seriously.

Great for:
Airbrush Gloss Varnish
Brush Gloss Varnish
Airbrush Reducer / Thinner
Gloss Wash Base

Try:
5ml Future
4 drops of Burnt Umber Acrylic Ink
1 drop of Black Acrylic Ink

There is a magical combo of Future gloss coat followed by Future gloss wash. See the bark details on this motherfucker.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
To be honest, I've never trusted Future because I'm not confident that it avoids yellowing over long periods of time (you likely wouldn't notice the yellowing on floors as much, if at all). As I understand it, it's just gloss varnish plus a surfactant/flow improver, so I use Liquitex gloss varnish and (I think?) Golden flow improver. That way I don't lie awake at night worrying about my little dollies.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Finally painted my store birthday captain. Had him floating around for most of a year. I really really like this model, and think it's probably my best painted infantry model so far.

Bonus: the oldest model of mine that I can find, circa mid-2000s.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Avenging Dentist posted:

To be honest, I've never trusted Future because I'm not confident that it avoids yellowing over long periods of time (you likely wouldn't notice the yellowing on floors as much, if at all). As I understand it, it's just gloss varnish plus a surfactant/flow improver, so I use Liquitex gloss varnish and (I think?) Golden flow improver. That way I don't lie awake at night worrying about my little dollies.

I have models from 15 years ago that were futured. No visible yellowing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm preparing to paint a Primaris Apothecary in Ultramarines colours (white all over with a blue shoulder), and wondered what you guys think I should shade the armour with? I've sprayed the thing Corax White so far and was planning to use the Citadel suggested Drakenhof Nightshade (blue shade) in a recess shade all over the armour before base-coating in the rest of non-white colours around the model (Abaddon Black on the weapon shroud etc). I'm assuming that I should recess shade the armour with the blue shade rather than wash the whole model? I'm certainly more used to doing recess shades. After putting in all the base colours I plan on painting most of the armour Ulthuan Grey (off-white) and then highlighting it all with White Scar (pure white).

Any suggestions? I've never painted a model mostly white before.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

I'm preparing to paint a Primaris Apothecary in Ultramarines colours (white all over with a blue shoulder), and wondered what you guys think I should shade the armour with? I've sprayed the thing Corax White so far and was planning to use the Citadel suggested Drakenhof Nightshade (blue shade) in a recess shade all over the armour before base-coating in the rest of non-white colours around the model (Abaddon Black on the weapon shroud etc). I'm assuming that I should recess shade the armour with the blue shade rather than wash the whole model? I'm certainly more used to doing recess shades. After putting in all the base colours I plan on painting most of the armour Ulthuan Grey (off-white) and then highlighting it all with White Scar (pure white).

Any suggestions? I've never painted a model mostly white before.

When I did mine when it came out I did the armor in ulthuan grey, with just the recesses shaded with drakenhof and then highlighted with pure white.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Outside of Space Marines, what else is there that's relatively easy to paint and hard to mess up? I wanted to paint somma dem Ork boyz, but it looks like there's a lot of little details that are hard to work with. Going through the GW website, I found some cheap some stuff around the $10 range, like Chaos Cultists, Guardians, Termagaunts, and Cadians. I also saw they had some of the Battle Sisters in that range, but I heard that those models are only pewter, and that there's going to be plastic ones coming out next year.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Max Wilco posted:

Outside of Space Marines, what else is there that's relatively easy to paint and hard to mess up? I wanted to paint somma dem Ork boyz, but it looks like there's a lot of little details that are hard to work with. Going through the GW website, I found some cheap some stuff around the $10 range, like Chaos Cultists, Guardians, Termagaunts, and Cadians. I also saw they had some of the Battle Sisters in that range, but I heard that those models are only pewter, and that there's going to be plastic ones coming out next year.

Eldar are pretty simple and don't have a ton of greebles.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do you happen to have any gaming stores near you? A lot of times they'll have a cheap minis from discontinued product, or minis people have sold back to them after they didn't want them anymore. You can often get 10+ minis for the price you'd pay for a single new one, and then you'd have a bunch of test subjects you can practice on and try different techniques.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
What about tyrannids? Slap on one to three colors, dip or a wash and done. Necrons are also dead simple.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Have any of you nerds bought paint racks from hobbyzone.pl? I really need to organize my paint collection and MDF racks seem the way to go.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you happen to have any gaming stores near you? A lot of times they'll have a cheap minis from discontinued product, or minis people have sold back to them after they didn't want them anymore. You can often get 10+ minis for the price you'd pay for a single new one, and then you'd have a bunch of test subjects you can practice on and try different techniques.

I've looked around and found a couple of gaming stores around my area, but I'm not sure what they offer in terms of minis. There's one that allows you to order online, and lists 40K stuff, but the prices seem to be about the same as GW's site. I'll probably have to go in person and see what they have. When I visited HobbyTown a while ago, they had a couple of jars of Citadel wash, but that was all I saw (of course, HobbyTown's not a game store).

bonds0097 posted:

What about tyrannids? Slap on one to three colors, dip or a wash and done. Necrons are also dead simple.

Yeah, I guess Necrons are mostly just silver and some bits of green, plus the little neon-green tubes they come with.

Tyranids look a little more complex, but I guess it depends on what kind. Also, I keep mixing up Tyranids with Genestealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Have any of you nerds bought paint racks from hobbyzone.pl? I really need to organize my paint collection and MDF racks seem the way to go.

I’ve bought the large racks for both Citadel and Vallejo size bottles. They’re awesome and very worth it.

EDIT: This is the style I got. https://www.hobbyzone.biz/hz/hz_s02s.shtml

The modular system looks cool but seems like it’d get super expensive.

Shadin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 7, 2018