Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It seems like you guys are enthusiastic about this game; would you say it's worth getting now, or better off waiting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's a good and fun 2d base builder if you feel like working with gasses and liquids while also babysitting a handful of dwarves duplicants. It's also in early access and there are a couple of obvious unfinished systems (biggest one that feels like that is the germs/diseases IMO, everything else mostly feels about right).

I sink a few evenings in once every half a year.

e: Also, there's literally no outside threats, the animals are annoying at worst. The only failure states are running out of air/food, really.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
It's on sale atm and I just snatched it, have already dumped like 3 hours into it even though I have no idea what I'm doing. Haven't killed anyone yet at least.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It seems like you guys are enthusiastic about this game; would you say it's worth getting now, or better off waiting?

Game good. Absolutely worth getting it now if you got Factorio / Dwarf Fortress brainworms.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

Missing the cooling chamber.

I mean setting up a self-powering electrolizer is easy enough. The "gotcha" is that it outputs oxygen at 70 degrees, which can quickly overheat your base and kill your agriculture. So you need to cool the gas first.

Here's the most popular design.

Well thats why i said i set it up in a cold biome :shrug:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Truga posted:

I know, the thing with abyssalite is, insulators give you what 10x? 100x? higher heat resistance, abyssalite is like a million times. Unless your pipes/tiles are holding things at thousands of degrees, it's going to be good enough, and far better than any other material + insulated stuff.

You can go overkill and do both, but IME it's never needed. I have a goddamn copper volcano in a room lined by just a single tile of abyssalite, and said abyssalite tiles haven't even budged a degree from the temperature it was built at yet in a few dozen cycles. It's pretty drat impressive, tbh. And even if it does get hot in time, the oxygen it's in contact with isn't conductive enough to matter :v:

Didn’t they change recently so heat transfer uses average of the two bodies parameters instead of lower, so regular abyssalite pipe became not an insulator at all, but tiles were still insulating as they used to

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Scarecow posted:

Well thats why i said i set it up in a cold biome :shrug:

Cold biome isn't magic. It's totally possible to heat it up. If you build an electrolyzer in a cold biome, it will eventually heat up its surroundings and the melted ice will flood the biome. That's why you need wheezeworts.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

Cold biome isn't magic. It's totally possible to heat it up. If you build an electrolyzer in a cold biome, it will eventually heat up its surroundings and the melted ice will flood the biome. That's why you need wheezeworts.

And i also mentioned that you can siphon off hydrogen into a cooling room with worts god drat :cmon:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Game seems fun. How do I get started? Are there any basic guides?

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
You're going to lose some colonies, but that's half the fun.

Early on, think about setting up a mealwood farm and then figuring out a source of water and power.

100+ hours into ONI (most before the jobs update) and I just figured out you can assign dupes new jobs after they've mastered whatever line they're in and they keep the perks. I kept hitting a wall around cycle 100-150 when they were all too anemic to run far enough to do work in remote biomes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Sipher posted:

You're going to lose some colonies, but that's half the fun.

Early on, think about setting up a mealwood farm and then figuring out a source of water and power.

100+ hours into ONI (most before the jobs update) and I just figured out you can assign dupes new jobs after they've mastered whatever line they're in and they keep the perks. I kept hitting a wall around cycle 100-150 when they were all too anemic to run far enough to do work in remote biomes.

They will also keep the highest tier decor and food they have been introduced to with their jobs. It's why you only keep around one tenured scientist or suffer a lot of stress build up.

Gopher's a good initial start because of the +2 Strength it provides and it's low-tier. There's a few jobs that hand out stat bonuses like that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pyromancer posted:

Didn’t they change recently so heat transfer uses average of the two bodies parameters instead of lower, so regular abyssalite pipe became not an insulator at all, but tiles were still insulating as they used to

I have a bunch of pipe carrying 90+ degree hot polluted water around my base to feed the pepper farms and they don't seem to radiate any heat, so it seems to work ok still.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Learning via cascade failure is part of the fun, but a few general pointers:

1) Make one of your initial dupes someone with very high Learning; they can crank out research ridiculously fast (and set their priorities so that they're the only ones spending the time on the research desk/supercomputer).
2) If you do basic farming research first then you can get planter boxes set up and start growing Mealwood in the first few days; this can circumvent the need for making mush bars.
3) You don't have to take new dupes whenever they come up; you can reject them each time or even disable the gate. Until you get a better sense of how rapidly dupes can go through food/oxygen you may want to limit yourself to a smaller group of folks, then only bring in new dupes when things are not getting done due to manpower constraints.
4) Click the Room overlay; you can see the requirements for various types of rooms that provide bonuses; these can also help guide your colony design to a certain extent. Some easy and good rooms to set up are bedrooms, bathrooms, and later on farms/ranches (mealwood isn't affected by Farm buffs, so don't stress that one early on). You don't have to fully tile rooms to get the bonus, so they can have dirt ceilings; just put doors and walls in to enclose the rooms and you can get the boosts.
5) The most common issue I've seen with folks just starting off is they don't dig enough. This leads to them only excavating exactly the tiles they're building on, which means there's no room for gases to expand and any oxygen generation efforts fail because the generators literally can't expel oxygen into overpressurized areas. Dig out 3-4 tile high sections that can be turned into rooms easily enough and you'll create enough area for CO2 to fall down and oxygen enough room to expand. Obviously it's possible to overexpand and lead to issues maintaining a minimum gas pressure, but worst case there you just build some walls and airlocks and seal off a main part of your colony to keep pressure.
6) You can always deconstruct and move things around later, so don't feel like you're locked into your initial placements of furniture/devices/etc.

If you get the initial food situation worked out and provide a reasonable amount of space for gas expansion you're probably good for your colony to run for a few dozen cycles, at which point something will inevitably go wrong and then you can look into tips for dealing with whatever specific problem(s) caused you issues, like "oh god it's too hot in here", "everyone's pissed off and throwing tantrums" or "help my dupes have the plague".

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
My first colony is oxygen rich! but I'm running out of water :(. I might have to start making dudes drink sewer water.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Research your way down to the sieve as quickly as you can so you can start converting sewage, and while you're doing that start digging around in search for some geysers.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Managing labour in the scum zone to prevent slimelung was kind of interesting, but I'm not really keen on germs in water without chlorination or UV lights or something as options. I might adjust immunity for my next run to not have to deal with that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It felt really cool once I started combating slimelung with an airlock and a bottom up approach, but it takes forever to dig out a slime biome and that's really the only way you're going to take it out.

I've put it down until they manage to figure out a way to make the transition from getting initially stable to late game less, well, insane. The infrastructure requirements for building a germ free water supply is insane. I need to purify it, then cool it down enough to kill germs, then dump it in my actual supply.

That means I need to establish a polluted water pool, a pump, the needed electric to power that, a cold biome/lots of wheezeworts/then a vent. If I want it automated at all I need sensors. If I gently caress it up once that entire pool of water that i'm making is contaminated and I have to try again.

I'd like it if there was some less efficient but less ballbustingly complicated to set up.

Do sinks still not care if they get fed germy water?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Truga posted:

Research your way down to the sieve as quickly as you can so you can start converting sewage, and while you're doing that start digging around in search for some geysers.

Warning: do not run your toilet sewage through the sieve and mix it with your regular water supply because it has germs in it.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Germs don't matter as much if you only eat food made on the grill as that irradicates any germs before your fabs can eat them. Things like Meal lice bars and other things made in the microbe musher will still carry germs as they need water in their recipes.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Yeah I fixed my colony by digging out an entire new tank, filling it with pure water and only feeding showers/sinks with that. 2 dupes came down with food poisoning but I had built a med room by then and the pharma chamber fixed them.
The other germy tank is now empty though and heat is bad enough that my bristle farm stopped working. Plus I have no coal left. The cold water geyser I found won't start again for another 26 cycles - that was a rude surprise when I analyzed it. Even if you find one and your scientist gets it looked at you have to wait for the drat thing to go active again.
I found a natural gas geyser but by the time I get there and analyze it, if I have to wait another 40 cycles for it to activate I'll be waiting in the dark. I've been too scared of the slime biomes to go into them. I carefully grubbed out some gold amalgam then left it.

One positive thing though, I noticed a glossy drecko egg and grabbed it before it hatched. I read about farming those for plastic. I'll read up on ranching next and try to farm hatchlings for coal. A desperate measure but all I have left. Research is finished too and I found the entropy nullifier.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo yeah. If you're still eating mush/meal bars definitely do not do that until your sewage is heated enough to kill germs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dogstile posted:

Do sinks still not care if they get fed germy water?
They do not. Lavatories and sinks don’t care about germs or temperature.

Once I realized that (probably from a post here) life became a whole lot easier. Once you build sinks/lavatories the only things that need “proper” water in the first few hundred cycles are bristle berries and some stuff you cook. I think.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh good, I hope that remains the case for whenever I next play, the pipe system for water isn't fun the 5th time you do it but i think most of that is on me for just having a design that's fairly optimal.

Factorio at least let me be lazy and blueprint it out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can I get a current invite to the goon discord, or did it peter out?

e: Where do I find wheezeworts?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 7, 2018

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
1) cold biome
2) there is a pretty good and active discord for the game from the klei forums

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

enraged_camel posted:

Warning: do not run your toilet sewage through the sieve and mix it with your regular water supply because it has germs in it.

showers/sinks/toilets work really well on a closed loop.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CellarDweller posted:

showers/sinks/toilets work really well on a closed loop.

Very true, except toilets produce more water than they use, so you'll need some way to remove small amounts of water from the system, like put a liquid valve just downstream of the water sieve and set it to 1~5g/s max flow to a liquid vent that drips filtered (but still germy) water into a tank off to the side. The pipes between the sieve and the toilet/sink/etc will stay full of clean water, and the valve slowly siphons off the excess water so the sewer pipes don't get too backed up.

Also make sure the outlet port of all sinks/toilets are not directly connected main drain line, because buildings need an empty outlet pipe or they won't output; even if it's just 50g of dirty water sitting in the pipe the shitter won't flush.

edit: a trick to avoid getting your dupes permanently stressed from being a tenured scientist, fire them before they reach full tenure, and have someone else take over their research. I'm sure there's an academia joke in there somewhere.

Mastering the job gives permanent food/decor requirements, but you don't always need the ability to do volcano/geyser research. Also works with other jobs where the top tier gives some benefit that you don't need often: mechatronics engineers, electrical engineers, and plumbers.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 7, 2018

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I just go with a decent sized germy water tank now I know a bit more. It can be used for hydroponics too and the plants don't seem to mind the germs or have them in the produce. Plus I can let biome water melt into it or pump green water from places I want to clear in there.

The game I was playing went into a death spiral at cycle 99. Dupes starving, the place too hot to grow anything, coal gone, no water left and too many sick to do any work - a right old mess. I went back to the save of cycle 91 and with pumping some reserves around, placing ice containers and I set a cooling loop from the ice biome back to my farm area then back to the ice biome. I added a pump to the return leg carrying away hot oxygen so the biome becomes breatheable and carry heat off. It's a piss poor solution but it'll buy time to fix it properly. And also crucially time for the geyser to become active.
That's going to be a problem all on it's own though. I need to get more wheezworts and lay out how to cool the water before pumping it or I'll just make the problem worse.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ratzap posted:

That's going to be a problem all on it's own though. I need to get more wheezworts and lay out how to cool the water before pumping it or I'll just make the problem worse.

Alternatively leave out the wheezeworts by heat exchanging the vent water with your poop water, then supplying your fertilizer synthesizers to 'delete' heat in excess of 50 degrees Celsius.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So let's say I want to make a central repository for resources. I'll build a bunch of storage compactors somewhere. To make sure my dupes aren't wasting too much labour grabbing everything that's loose, I'll set the compactors to store all resources but be sweep only so they only store things that I designate. That way I can unclutter places on demand.

If I build a compactor somewhere else and set it to hold a resource such as coal next to a coal generator, will my dupes take coal that has been swept into the sweep only boxes and move it to the coal box? (without me undesignating coal as a resource on all my sweep boxes)

I could test this myself but it can take time and effort to see if dupes are doing what you want, and even then it's not always obvious.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 7, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

So let's say I want to make a central repository for resources. I'll build a bunch of storage compactors somewhere. To make sure my dupes aren't wasting too much labour grabbing everything that's loose, I'll set the compactors to store all resources but be sweep only so they only store things that I designate. That way I can unclutter places on demand.

If I build a compactor somewhere else and set it to hold a resource such as coal next to a coal generator, will my dupes take coal that has been swept into the sweep only boxes and move it to the coal box? (without me undesignating coal as a resource on all my sweep boxes)

I could test this myself but it can take time and effort to see if dupes are doing what you want, and even then it's not always obvious.

You will want to do this anyway (coal next to coal generator) for when you get sweepers that will automatically load your coal generator for you.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also don’t forget about sandbox mode.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively leave out the wheezeworts by heat exchanging the vent water with your poop water, then supplying your fertilizer synthesizers to 'delete' heat in excess of 50 degrees Celsius.

Reading up on cool water geysers, it'll come out at 110 celcius. Dropping that to 25 to use (any higher will just make my central area hotter again) the wiki recommends thermo regulators but I don't see how that works. Nothing destroys heat, it's all transfers so won't the regulator just melt after a while? Or does ONI break with real physics at some point? There's also the entropy device, it's very far from the geyser but would that be a good way to dump the heat?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Ratzap posted:

Reading up on cool water geysers, it'll come out at 110 celcius. Dropping that to 25 to use (any higher will just make my central area hotter again) the wiki recommends thermo regulators but I don't see how that works. Nothing destroys heat, it's all transfers so won't the regulator just melt after a while? Or does ONI break with real physics at some point? There's also the entropy device, it's very far from the geyser but would that be a good way to dump the heat?

you can use wheeze worts to cool thermo regulators. the idea is that they transfer heat into the gas around them so its complicated based on the thermal conductivity and blah blah blah. the other thing is you don't need to cool something non stop, so you use the regulators when needed and turn them off.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Also, only cool the water you need to. If you can get the steam to condense, stick a pitcher pump in it for your research, and a liquid pump in it for your electrolyzers. The downstream water going to your farming tiles needs to go through the chillers, and that's it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Picked this game up during the Steam summer sale, enticed by the cutesy characters and then kicked in the nuts by the gasses (it was a hydrogen foot, I'm fine).

This is Max. Long before he became a truly great miner, he underestimated sand.

These dupes are Marie and Bubbles, suddenly realizing that it would have been better to manage building and destruction in a different order. They should have learned from Max.

I retired this run after about 100 cycles. It was amazing how far you can get with just Mush Fry and Lice Loaf. I also didn't bother with Lavatories and Showers. Gotta stay grimy, guv. I think heat would have eventually brought about the cascade tho, because I started doing Hydrogen Generator + Electrolyzer combos for the first time and I was pumping that O2 directly in the bedrooms. Which really was pointless, because they were close to the barracks to begin with :shepface:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 7, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here's my power setup:

Essentially, power flows from generators to transistors, and then to batteries, and finally to the corresponding circuit.

Each smart battery is connected via automation wires to two things: its transistor, and the generators via a set of OR gates. The OR gates are super important: generators run even if a single smart battery is below its threshold, but power flows to only that battery since all the other transistors are turned off.

When I need a new circuit, I just add another transistor/smart battery pair and hook them up to the grid. It's very easy.

This setup is so drat efficient that a natural gas generator and a coal generator (both tuned up) are sufficient to power my entire colony during normal days. I turn on the other two generators only if I'll be doing some serious metal/petroleum refining.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

insta posted:

Also, only cool the water you need to. If you can get the steam to condense, stick a pitcher pump in it for your research, and a liquid pump in it for your electrolyzers. The downstream water going to your farming tiles needs to go through the chillers, and that's it.

I finished all research. I have a clean water sump, a germy sump and a polluted sump. The main reason I want them to be coolish at the least is because otherwise they'll make my already hot base even hotter. I built it all without insulating pipes or tiles which is why it's so drat hot. I'll play the one I have a bit longer to work with geysers a little but the new game I started is going to be my focus. Insulation for everyone!

That power setup is nice but while I have the research done, I don't have the materials for anything like that. Metal is getting low and I need to raid other biomes for it soon. What's frustrating though is the little sods run all the way out to the work area, hit a single rock then scamper all the way back. No damnit! Do some other poo poo while you're there!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ratzap posted:

I finished all research. I have a clean water sump, a germy sump and a polluted sump. The main reason I want them to be coolish at the least is because otherwise they'll make my already hot base even hotter. I built it all without insulating pipes or tiles which is why it's so drat hot. I'll play the one I have a bit longer to work with geysers a little but the new game I started is going to be my focus. Insulation for everyone!

That power setup is nice but while I have the research done, I don't have the materials for anything like that. Metal is getting low and I need to raid other biomes for it soon. What's frustrating though is the little sods run all the way out to the work area, hit a single rock then scamper all the way back. No damnit! Do some other poo poo while you're there!

Increase the priority of your dig jobs to solve this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Also, if you haven't already, check this loving option in Errand Priorities. Your dupes will do all sorts of stupid runarounds until you do.