Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Making a strange cellular automata thing that uses ascii

Also I'm getting a strange thing to eventually happen on the left side that might be a bug explained here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3070034&pagenumber=180&perpage=40#post481874569

as they said in the other post calculate the next generation onto a back buffer and switch your "bug" is where char 1 is generated and char 2 is using the new value of char 1 in its generation rather than the old value causing the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

lord funk posted:

I mean, I'm get unreasonably annoyed at unnecessary clicks / taps, but considering there will be a corresponding 'mode' switch, I'm betting the swap will go over just fine.

I'm glad it was mentioned, because it really made me consider that it felt unnecessary. I can see how the user would tap the button and then it moves, and be like "What the heck? I just tapped that! Why did it move away?" It's an extra step, but at the same time there's the advantage of giving the user context on where they are. I think I'm going to add some kind of indication of static box where the largest button is supposed to be to show more what is selected than just a larger button. Then again I can't decide for the user's what makes sense.

TheresaJayne posted:

as they said in the other post calculate the next generation onto a back buffer and switch your "bug" is where char 1 is generated and char 2 is using the new value of char 1 in its generation rather than the old value causing the issue.

I really want to get back into this. I tried over and over and it turned into a clusterfuck of confusing problems. I'm going to go back to my original, buggy version and try again. There's certain rules that made it unexpectedly harder. One was the vector of a newborn where another species is occupied and needs to change it's attack vector to it's birth vector and try attacking. Doing this backwards where each surrounding character is making the result of one character instead of each character individually playing out its simple rules gets so complex.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm glad it was mentioned, because it really made me consider that it felt unnecessary. I can see how the user would tap the button and then it moves, and be like "What the heck? I just tapped that! Why did it move away?" It's an extra step, but at the same time there's the advantage of giving the user context on where they are. I think I'm going to add some kind of indication of static box where the largest button is supposed to be to show more what is selected than just a larger button. Then again I can't decide for the user's what makes sense.
Well here's my question: if I hit record (video), is the camera (snapshot) button still active? Can I take a picture while the video is recording, or is it disabled? Does pressing it stop the video recording, but not take a picture?

The built-in camera app takes care of this by having one action button and the swipe-to-change mode thing. I like the idea of getting rid of that -- I dislike the mode switching when I'm frantically trying to take a video and not a picture, or it's moved to square picture, etc., and I'm not in the right mode. So the multi-button approach is good, it should just feel natural no matter what state (recording / idle) we're in.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

lord funk posted:

Well here's my question: if I hit record (video), is the camera (snapshot) button still active? Can I take a picture while the video is recording, or is it disabled? Does pressing it stop the video recording, but not take a picture?

The built-in camera app takes care of this by having one action button and the swipe-to-change mode thing. I like the idea of getting rid of that -- I dislike the mode switching when I'm frantically trying to take a video and not a picture, or it's moved to square picture, etc., and I'm not in the right mode. So the multi-button approach is good, it should just feel natural no matter what state (recording / idle) we're in.

No, the snapshot, settings and photo library buttons disable while taking video.

I think the built in camera's swipe menu makes sense because there are so many modes, but you're right it does make it harder to get to the right mode quickly enough. I've had so many times where I missed a photo of a bird or something I needed to capture quick because of this. I think since my app only has two capture modes (photo import not included), the user can still navigate quickly enough to get to the correct one where it's only one tap in a predictable place. I already have a sideways UIPickerView under that for the filter selection.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yesterday I whipped up a simulator on JSFiddle for the game Pokémon GO. It's supposed to help you build intuition about the spread that's out there in the world, specifically of hidden stats out of random Pokémon spawns that come from the game server. It's for people who know what hidden stats are.

Press "calculate" to watch it animate:

https://jsfiddle.net/bx45mphh/embedded/result/

Anyway as a program it draws some graph bars that smoothly grow, and it continuously runs new random trials and redraws the graph by calling requestAnimFrame once you tell it to start. Even with the math and graphing it's also a really short piece of code (hardly a page). https://jsfiddle.net/bx45mphh/embedded/

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Me and a guy made a thing as a learning project.
It takes a keyword, gets related news articles and builds a graph. It performs a bunch of basic operations on a Storm pipeline and updates the resulting graph as data comes back.

It's recursive so it can build a graph up to an arbitrary maximum depth, depending on hardware limitations.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 29, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I like the keyword choices

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have constructed a game; FUTBALL:

I find it very stressful to play, but fun enough (in short doses). Also, writing the ray tracer for the graphics was fun. That does mean it requires a pretty beefy GPU to run.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
2013:

Suspicious Dish posted:

I decided to learn 3D graphics and GL, so I wrote a BMD model viewer in WebGL:

2015:

Suspicious Dish posted:

Continuing with my theme of reverse engineering lots of random game formats...

2018:

https://magcius.github.io/model-viewer/#zww/Room44.arc;4542.97,1794.88,13559.47,-0.98,0.05,-0.21,-0.22,-0.21,0.95
https://giant.gfycat.com/BlushingHatefulGalapagossealion.webm

https://magcius.github.io/model-viewer/#mkwii/water_course;2374.73,775.74,639.49,0.23,-0.09,0.97,0.97,0.02,-0.23
https://giant.gfycat.com/SolidMiniatureDobermanpinscher.webm

https://magcius.github.io/model-viewer/#smg/PeachCastleGardenPlanet.arc;6657.74,354.60,5495.59,-0.57,0.06,0.82,0.82,0.04,0.57
https://giant.gfycat.com/BountifulColorfulEgret.webm

https://magcius.github.io/model-viewer/#mp1/Metroid1.pak;628.92,-447.90,-481.68,1.00,0.01,0.04,0.04,-0.14,-0.99
https://giant.gfycat.com/EthicalUnhappyAlbatross.webm

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 23, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mezzanine posted:

I will pay you money if you can do something similar with Mario Kart 8 or Super Mario 3D World. I would just LOVE to be able to fly around and look at the stages from MK8 because some of them are gorgeous!

I know last time I was looking around, the formats for Mario Kart stages (at least Mario Kart Wii and 7) had been mapped out, so some guys were putting out the models for the karts and characters, and there was at least a way to see the 3D data for the stages. Getting it textured would be a whole different beast, I'd imagine.

I have no idea if you still read this thread. DM me for PayPal details.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Holy poo poo that rules

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

This is incredible! Nice work!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Holy poo poo that rules

Not emptyquoting

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What magical combination of browser does that work on? No luck with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge 💩

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I know it works on my machine in Chrome and Firefox on Windows. Check Developer Tools console, make sure you have hardware acceleration and GPU enabled, and triple-check that this page says WebGL 2 is supported.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I presume something about texture limits because it's an Intel GPU, I'm just surprised it doesn't really show anything

I presume that last one needs a few extra passes to raise the graphics from Quake 2 level? What is it missing, it is extra lighting? It makes me think of the cool breakdowns of doom and gta v

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 24, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The "there is no texture bound" is Chrome complaining about my workaround for WebGL's API stupidity. Retro uses quite a number of textures in Metroid Prime, and texture bind and draw call overhead is expensive in WebGL. That shouldn't break Intel Integrated graphics, but given the quality of graphics drivers, I'm not surprised.

EDIT: the logo.png 404 is Parcel stupidity. Every single one of these dumb JavaScript bundlers is broken and untested out of the box. Web development sucks.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
The Metroid map does take a couple of seconds to render here (I assume due to the textures), the rest are instant.

The failure on Edge seems to be due to this: https://caniuse.com/#search=textdecoder

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Edge probably breaks in the Metroid Prime code first because of TextDecoder, but it likely breaks everywhere else because of https://caniuse.com/#feat=webgl2

Similarly with Safari.

I love the web platform, it's bad rear end.

Metroid Prime's levels probably also take a while to load because they're downloaded from my servers instead of GitHub's, and the files are ~100MB downloads instead of ~10MB for every other level.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Is the mouse supposed to be inverted on both axes?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not unless you turn the camera upside down yourself. Hit "B" to reset the camera to the origin.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

No luck in Xubuntu Chromium:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Your OS doesn't support multisampling. Get a better OS. Should also be fixed in an hour or two, hopefully. Blind check though

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MrMoo posted:

What magical combination of browser does that work on? No luck with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge 💩

Works fine for me in chrome, you might just have to wait longer than you expected to load everything.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Not unless you turn the camera upside down yourself. Hit "B" to reset the camera to the origin.

Is it possible to turn the textures off completely? I am curious about the raw geometry, I took a look around but could only find the textures used.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Is it possible to turn the textures off completely? I am curious about the raw geometry, I took a look around but could only find the textures used.

Not really. Well, you could take a capture with renderdoc or nvidia nsight and look at the Geometry tab I suppose. But chances are you don't want that -- a lot of geometry is alpha-blended planes, or alpha-tested stuff. So you'll just see a lot of random junk in the way of what you want to look at.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Not really. Well, you could take a capture with renderdoc or nvidia nsight and look at the Geometry tab I suppose. But chances are you don't want that -- a lot of geometry is alpha-blended planes, or alpha-tested stuff. So you'll just see a lot of random junk in the way of what you want to look at.

First things first though, it is really impressive. :)

Could you flatshade it?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I could, yes, similar to what I do for the Dark Souls Collision Data viewer. Would take some time and refactoring to be able to "hack in" a flat shade bit though. Is there any reason you want that feature though?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

I could, yes, similar to what I do for the Dark Souls Collision Data viewer. Would take some time and refactoring to be able to "hack in" a flat shade bit though. Is there any reason you want that feature though?

No reason, I was just interested in how much geometry they use to get the levels look that good.

I just checked the dark souls one, that is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

John used your model viewer in his latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exp1Yrxt50A

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's super cool to see! Happy people are enjoying it.

Shoutouts to the Digital Foundry intern that had to hold "A" on my model viewer for 20 seconds to record that wide pan.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

I wanted to experiment a bit with Vue.js, so I decided to implement Heckmeck am Bratwurmeck (aka Pickomino) in it.

It's playable on http://heckmeck.brohr.dk .

Not the prettiest thing, but it should be fully functional.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

This is awesome.

2 bugs:
1) if you have already selected all of the dice you still have the option to roll, resulting in a certain fail
2) players without worms do not cause the top worm piece to be discarded on a fail according to the rule book.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Sereri posted:

This is awesome.

2 bugs:
1) if you have already selected all of the dice you still have the option to roll, resulting in a certain fail
2) players without worms do not cause the top worm piece to be discarded on a fail according to the rule book.

1 was actually intentional laziness, but I just fixed it up so you can't do it anymore.

2 was me not knowing the rules correctly, and just implementing it as I usually play it. :) I've fixed it so it matches the rulebook. (I.e, no worm turned over on grill if you fail without any worms, and no worm turned over on grill if you return the topmost worm to grill.)

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Sure, it's a very small project at the moment, but it compiles without warnings. That's a start, right? :v:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've been learning about state machines and message queues at work lately.

My project has been building a new Engineering Change Order process that's primarily web based. The fun part is that it needed to connect to the Solidworks EPDM system, which can only be done in .Net on a Windows computer actually running EPDM, but all of our primary development is done in PHP on Linux servers.

I setup a RabbitMQ server to take messages from the PHP app and built a .Net application that can consume the messages. I then got the .Net app to handle round-robin load balanced workloads. Once a workload is finished it sends back an API call to my PHP application to tell it to execute the next state machine transition.

Now I can fire up as many instances of my app that are needed, and it they'll chug through the workloads we send them. It's been really fun, but now I'm a bit paranoid being the only person that knows how this whole system functions, let alone can do any .Net development.

The actual state machine's workflow is kind of ridiculous. I heavily simplified it on the user interface side of things.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sebbe posted:

1 was actually intentional laziness, but I just fixed it up so you can't do it anymore.

2 was me not knowing the rules correctly, and just implementing it as I usually play it. :) I've fixed it so it matches the rulebook. (I.e, no worm turned over on grill if you fail without any worms, and no worm turned over on grill if you return the topmost worm to grill.)

:tipshat:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Edward_Tohr posted:

Sure, it's a very small project at the moment, but it compiles without warnings. That's a start, right? :v:
You forgot -Wpedantic :getin:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You forgot -Wpedantic :getin:

:colbert:

I won't say it doesn't belong in the Coding Horrors thread, but it still compiles without errors. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

In a similar "not that interesting of a screenshot" but I think it's cool: Google Benchmark numbers from my laptop of inserting 100 million tuples 10x...
code:
BM_SimpleInsert/repeats:10/real_time_mean              934.931MB/s   18.6986M items/s
Hell yeah the storage engine I'm working on for our new RDBMS can sustain inserting 18 million tuples per second single-threaded. We started the day at ~1M/sec and after spending a bunch of time fixing memory alignment issues and reducing other unnecessary operations, now it's flying.

Tomorrow comes concurrency control though, which will take a nice bite out of performance.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 10, 2018