Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite was the NYT magazine openly wondering if korean dominance in speed skating was due to their genetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

quote:

Fumbling to take a bite of kimchi, I was struggling to get a grip on my slippery metal chopsticks – and, it seemed, on the Korean language.

Hilarious stuff.

Debate & Discussion › Korea Thread: Fumbling to take a bite of kimchi

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 6, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

My favorite was the NYT magazine openly wondering if korean dominance in speed skating was due to their genetics

Honestly it would be a lot less frustrating if it were just straight up biotruths race science stuff. What you get instead is completely unfalsifiable and unempirical assertions about states of mind and ‘culture’. It’s ‘Asian people act the way they do because that’s the way Asian people act’ racist tautology all the way down. I want to beat these people to death with a copy of David Hume’s works

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Random crosspost time-

Powered Descent posted:

Dustin does have a point here. Once you start noticing the "political we", it's actually kind of jarring. For example, "we" didn't win that war a couple centuries ago (or whatever), the people who lived and fought then won it. Why are "we" trying to claim a share of the credit for it now?

A serious news organization managed to write, research, and edit that article without noticing that English also uses the same word in the same way in similar circumstances, just not the one in the anecdote that prompted the dumb article idea.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Silver2195 posted:

Debate & Discussion › Korea Thread: Fumbling to take a bite of kimchi

edit: which reminds me, did I ever crosspost the weird kimci institute material I found from the pseudoscience thread?

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

quote:

Pompeo Brings 'Rocket Man' CD for Kim Jong-un
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2018/07/06/2018070600907.html

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Best case: Kim sends trump some troll gifts. Worst case: Pompeo just got punked by his boss and has to hope the guy who brutalizes poster thieves doesn't take it out on the middle man.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1015577862643109888?s=19

what a surprise.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

icantfindaname posted:

Honestly it would be a lot less frustrating if it were just straight up biotruths race science stuff.

Isn't it that? All that stuff always seems like the core of it is the idea "all asians look the same" and trying to work that out into them being some interchangeable hive mind. Like even mr rodgers fell into having the panda characters come from another planet where everyone looked and thought the same.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, it isn't, but honestly pretty defensible on the part of the DPRK. Diplomacy is actually about negotiation, not unilateral surrender.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah not talking poo poo about the DPRK here, it’s just the very predictable outcome thus far

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah not talking poo poo about the DPRK here, it’s just the very predictable outcome thus far

It is basically the preliminaries before the actual negotiation begins (it is still uncertain the US/Trump won't walk out when they realize this).

As for what an actual path for peace looks like, at best it is going to be a very slow phased approach that is going to require plenty of incentives.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Isn't it that? All that stuff always seems like the core of it is the idea "all asians look the same" and trying to work that out into them being some interchangeable hive mind. Like even mr rodgers fell into having the panda characters come from another planet where everyone looked and thought the same.

No, the kind of unfalsifiable/tautology logic you seen with East Asia is very distinctive and different from the racist alt-libertarian geneticist people you normally associate with biotruths stuff. Like with this quote

quote:

In American culture, the ‘my’, ‘me’ and ‘I’ exist as an autonomous entity, according to University of Hawaii professor of Korean language and linguistics Ho-min Sohn. But in Korean culture, they do not.

It’s obviously an extremely strong claim (nobody in 'Korean culture' thinks of themselves as an autonomous individual?) but I guarantee any counterexample will just be dismissed as that person not thinking like a Korean

Meanwhile biotruths race stuff leans very heavily towards the empirical, with IQ tests and genetics stuff plus the general Pinker-esque cult of Science. That difference corresponds to the general difference in political valence between the those racists and the kind who write articles like we’re discussing, who in my experience overwhelmingly identify as progressive liberals. They’re not racist, they’re just brave truth tellers saying what people don’t want to hear. Even the opposite; what could be more progressive than acknowledging how another society is Different than we are? Actually, the idea that concepts like liberal democracy or individual human rights are suitable for Asian societies is the true racist position. There’s a kind of general vague postmodern leftism that very often accompanies this stuff

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 7, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

icantfindaname posted:

No, the kind of unfalsifiable/tautology logic you seen with East Asia is very distinctive and different from the racist alt-libertarian geneticist people you normally associate with biotruths stuff. Like with this quote

I don't know, it always just seems like people taking the olde timey "asians all look the same" racism and trying to say it in a lot more words. That they actually aren't individuals.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

This article has some interesting bits I didn't see in the AP story-

quote:

According to the spokesman, during the talks with Pompeo the North raised the issue of a possible declaration to formally end the 1950-53 Korean War, which concluded with an armistice and not a peace treaty. It also offered to discuss the closure of a missile engine test site that would “physically affirm” a move to halt the production of intercontinental range ballistic missiles and setting up working-level discussions for the return of U.S. war remains.

However, the spokesman said the United States came up with a variety of “conditions and excuses” to delay a declaration on ending the war. The spokesman also downplayed the significance of the United States suspending its military exercises with South Korea, saying the North made a larger concession by blowing up the tunnels at its nuclear test site.

So the stumbling lock seems to be that North Korea wants the war to end and we're treating this as a concession, even though we have as much to gain from a peace treaty as they do, if not more. In all fairness, a peace treaty would require a confirmation vote from two thirds of the Senate, and I could easily see them refusing to do so because the Senate, Democrats and Republicans both, is god-awful. Like straight up worse than Trump bad.

I wonder if American negotiators have actually brought this up. I could certainly see the North Korean negotiators being insulted at such an explanation. You're telling us that in your country, the President can run concentration camps for children by himself but needs approval from the Senate to sign a peace treaty for a war that ended seventy years ago? Do you take us for idiots!?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Some Guy TT posted:

This article has some interesting bits I didn't see in the AP story-

So the stumbling lock seems to be that North Korea wants the war to end and we're treating this as a concession, even though we have as much to gain from a peace treaty as they do, if not more. In all fairness, a peace treaty would require a confirmation vote from two thirds of the Senate, and I could easily see them refusing to do so because the Senate, Democrats and Republicans both, is god-awful. Like straight up worse than Trump bad.

I wonder if American negotiators have actually brought this up. I could certainly see the North Korean negotiators being insulted at such an explanation. You're telling us that in your country, the President can run concentration camps for children by himself but needs approval from the Senate to sign a peace treaty for a war that ended seventy years ago? Do you take us for idiots!?

the senate is not worse than trump

the rest of your post is decent though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fake news, trump didn't pen it

he crayoned it

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1015749613448384513?s=19

I see "maximum pressure" is being used again.

I think things are going as John Bolton laid out on Fox before becoming NatSec. Do the summit, let talks fail, say we tried diplomacy, and go to war.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure I'd count the cancellation of military exercises as 'maximum pressure', personally.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I still don't see how blowing up tunnels at a nuclear test site is at all a concession if you've actually finished making nuclear weapons and don't need to test anymore.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

It’s obviously an extremely strong claim (nobody in 'Korean culture' thinks of themselves as an autonomous individual?) but I guarantee any counterexample will just be dismissed as that person not thinking like a Korean

Meanwhile biotruths race stuff leans very heavily towards the empirical, with IQ tests and genetics stuff plus the general Pinker-esque cult of Science. That difference corresponds to the general difference in political valence between the those racists and the kind who write articles like we’re discussing, who in my experience overwhelmingly identify as progressive liberals. They’re not racist, they’re just brave truth tellers saying what people don’t want to hear. Even the opposite; what could be more progressive than acknowledging how another society is Different than we are? Actually, the idea that concepts like liberal democracy or individual human rights are suitable for Asian societies is the true racist position. There’s a kind of general vague postmodern leftism that very often accompanies this stuff

If knowing languages other than English gives you superpowers, why the gently caress do these people refuse to learn them? I mean, I suddenly understand russiagate, but goddamn these people are stupid.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Some Guy TT posted:

Interesting that your perspective is predicated on North Koreans all being morons.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Interesting that your perspective is predicated on North Koreans all being morons.
The honorable oriental hive mind could never comprehend our base and decadent YT civilization.

Also they don't have Wikipedia there I guess.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

You think our political system works in a rational way? Most days I'm surprised the whole thing hasn't fallen apart already.

edit: also, the sheer stupidity of our political system isn't special occidental knowledge only Koreans would have trouble understanding. Russians hired specifically to gently caress around with American elections in 2016 didn't even realize what the electoral college was until summertime

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 9, 2018

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Some Guy TT posted:

You think our political system works in a rational way? Most days I'm surprised the whole thing hasn't fallen apart already.

edit: also, the sheer stupidity of our political system isn't special occidental knowledge only Koreans would have trouble understanding. Russians hired specifically to gently caress around with American elections in 2016 didn't even realize what the electoral college was until summertime

I honestly thought it was just a dumb joke, that you were so eager to take a dig at the US that you just incidentally ended up being very condescending to the North Koreans. The decision to double down on "obviously diplomats engaged in crucial bilateral peace talks can't be bothered to use Wikipedia" has me wondering, though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

There's a pretty big difference between pulling up Article II of the Constitution on Wikipedia and taking at face value claims that American senators are so dysfunctional they'd refuse to approve a peace treaty with a country we're not at war with just out of sheer spite.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Asking the question "what, if any, domestic hurdles will this agreement have to overcome on the other side?" is really part of the basic job description for high level diplomatic negotiators. I don't understand why you're insisting that this would be too much to expect from North Koreans.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In a thread where half the conversation post-summit is about how Trump is an obvious liar and the North Koreans will be furious when they discover this, you are surprised that I am suggesting the North Koreans might be mad because American negotiators told them something that sounds like an obvious lie even if it isn't.

fake edit: or maybe American negotiators told them actual lies. Who knows. It's not like we have recordings.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If they're getting upset over something that could be verified over a lunch break, then yeah, they're really dumb. In what world is that not dumb?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
Either a country is at war and needs peace treaty to end it, or is not at war and does not need peace treaty. Am I missing something in the translation? Who would say United States government not consider itself at war with North Korea, it is to silly.

I do not believe any country have ever signed peace treaty with North Korea or South Korea, for any war. In theory at least China should sign a treaty with South, and the dozen not US or South Korea combat countries should sign treaty with North as well.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's important to keep in mind that signing a peace treaty is also a declaration of the legitimacy of their government, which means that once the treaty becomes ratified law it's over for reunification; there will officially be two Koreas, rather than just de facto two.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Russians aren't occidental either. :colbert:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Silver2195 posted:

Ah really huh? I like to hear this argument.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

thanks groyper

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

It's important to keep in mind that signing a peace treaty is also a declaration of the legitimacy of their government, which means that once the treaty becomes ratified law it's over for reunification; there will officially be two Koreas, rather than just de facto two.

Reunification can or can't happen with or without a peace treaty, a "declaration of legitimacy of their government" doesn't matter at all as it's obvious North Korea is a sovereign country. North Korea is even a member of the UN.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

As it's been said, not really? West and East Germany were both de jure independent sovereign states but reunification happened anyways. The geopolitical situation of any nation's territorial boundaries are inherently malleable to geopolitical happenstance.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/mradamtaylor/st...ingawful.com%2F

Art of the Deal: Korean style.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Double posting I guess it's slow news?

Going just as John Bolton hoped it would.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How is the progress with South Korea going anyway? Are they just freezing out America, or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
What a hosed up situation

https://www.gq.com/story/otto-warmbier-north-korea-american-hostage-true-story