Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

WHY DON’T THESE PEOPLE JUST PLAY EVE?! Aren’t there some formidable corps out there who are checks on Goon power? I know you guys got your asses blown out like 2 years ago by some big coalition.

Because in EVE you can't stand on the bridge of your ship and enjoy a quiet cup of space tea like Jet Black, or meet Miles "Three Jackets" Prower in a seedy bar to pick up work like Mal Reynolds.

Seriously, for probably most of the people still left in the game it's the ridiculous "space second life" fantasy aspect that keep them as hooked as they are. It's what got most of them into it (I should know, it's what hooked me before I realized how retarded and empty it would be), and it's what will keep them dreaming of jacking into The 'Verse RPO-style long after CIG has shuttered their offices and started crowdfunding digital bottled water or whatever the gently caress they're gonna do next.

e: vacation taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I don't think forcing a shark to give a tube a blowjob is the best use of resources.

e: Maybe it could give CR one though.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 7, 2018

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

You know what you have to do

Looks like I gotta get me one of those fancy Platinum accounts now.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

Because in EVE you can't stand on the bridge of your ship and enjoy a quiet cup of space tea like Jet Black, or meet Miles "Three Jackets" Prower in a seedy bar to pick up work like Mal Reynolds.

Seriously, for probably most of the people still left in the game it's the ridiculous "space second life" fantasy aspect that keep them as hooked as they are. It's what got most of them into it (I should know, it's what hooked me before I realized how retarded and empty it would be), and it's what will keep them dreaming of jacking into The 'Verse RPO-style long after CIG has shuttered their offices and started crowdfunding digital bottled water or whatever the gently caress they're gonna do next.

You see that on the Reddit, with how the majority of the posts are just pretty looking screenshots devoid of any real gameplay. It's just people imagining that they're in space and theory-crafting about some never to be released fidelicious second life mechanic. The 600i is really the pinnacle of this, as it does not and will never serve any real gameplay function, or move the game that's supposed to be about space ships shooting each other towards being actually fun. It exists only as a static object to be fetishized. On a subconscious level, I don't think any of the remaining hardcore backers really want a game. Any sort of release with a defined set of features would collapse all of their fantasies.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Evil_Greven posted:

I don't think forcing a shark to give a tube a blowjob is the best use of resources.

e: Maybe it could give CR one though.

it's so he can breath while we poke and prod him though!

colonelwest posted:

You see that on the Reddit, with how the majority of the posts are just pretty looking screenshots devoid of any real gameplay. It's just people imagining that they're in space and theory-crafting about some never to be released fidelicious second life mechanic. The 600i is really the pinnacle of this, as it does not and will never serve any real gameplay function, or move the game that's supposed to be about space ships shooting each other towards being actually fun. It exists only as a static object to be fetishized. On a subconscious level, I don't think any of the remaining hardcore backers really want a game. Any sort of release with a defined set of features would collapse all of their fantasies.

I think I've said this before on here, but the thing that finally sold me on Star Citizen back during the KS days was the idea that I could dock my ship to my friend's ship (lol they removed that) and float over and have a cup of space coffee with him while we orbited a planet (lol they removed that). It's a bizarre thing to point to as the thing that made me go "Okay yeah I'm in" but it's emblematic of the "fidelity" that they've been hawking at every turn. Star Citizen sells users the fantasy of living on the Millenium Falcon, and the people who are left are the ones who haven't realized they're not going to be able to deliver it (and also that they shouldn't deliver it because holy gently caress what a boring, un-fun thing to put in your game). That's part of what's killing/has killed any chance at a real game ever coming out of this mess, too. Most of their efforts are going towards delivering that un-deliverable dream ( a walk speed slider? Hand carrying cargo? Bespoke animations for the fifteen different kinds of mess hall tables?) and it's a massive resource drain.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Ah, I didn't realize that was how it was done. Neat.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Evil_Greven posted:

Ah, I didn't realize that was how it was done. Neat.

Yeah it's not a great picture (we haven't gotten them all back yet so I'm snaking things off instagram haha) but the tube is attached to a pump and pumps seawater over the gills. It also serves as a handy pacifier that gives them something to chew on that's not a hand or foot - really nice to have for some of the bigger ones!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

Sometimes I wonder if you guys even play the new patches anymore before trying to shill them.

The performance increase is due to cig removing a large number of static and per player NPC ships and characters.

Since the age of 2.0 the per player performance for a given server has been largely the same. The only difference has been what cig tried to stuff in the instance regarding ship models and NPC fluff.

E: after reading through another 10 pages of verbal diarrhea im sorry for writing that. You clearly belong here friend. Please tell me more how gpus that run any vehicle combat simulation in existence at max settings and UHD are actually bad and outdated.

That 1080 is going to be outdated in about 8 months and won't be able to handle SC on max settings. That will really be the chance to upgrade past these proles!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Agony Aunt posted:

Always amazes me about how they talk about things planned for SC in the present tense, but when panning ED (or other games) they compare future SC with current (insert other game). Yet if you say something like "Well, ED will probably have space legs in the future" they say "Ah, but it doesn't have it now!".... and i'm like... but... but.... you are bringing up future SC as though its now!

This is part of the always present mystery of Star Citizen, spurred by the people looking exactly for this kind of game: dreams.

Dreams are difficult to compete with. CR says all the right things, has a big studio, puts out a ton of videos... so the appearance of progress is had. But actual progress is not.

With the amount of time and money and manpower CR has had, it's shocking that he hasn't been able to put out a complete vertical slice of his ideas yet.

Sometimes I sit on meetings for project after action reports for both failed and successful products. Any time I hear "if I had more time and money I could have gotten this in a better state" and their project was perfectly reasonable at the outset, no, no you couldn't have dumbass.

I'm not saying time and money doesn't help, but it's not a magic "I can do anything!" button. There's huge amounts of organization, preparation, analysis, documentation and getting everybody on the same page long before any amounts of code should be written. Most interactions don't need to be totally filled out because of agile, but everybody needs to have a core idea of how tab A is supposed to fit into slot B, and what sort of expectations there are for code necessities and DB, etc etc.

Then armed with this knowledge you set up milestones for deliverables. Each milestone should have some sort of noticeable impact on the project, and shows a definitive forward momentum as well as an understanding of the final goal of the project.

For SC, the documentation appears to be "Dreams of what I think this should be like" full of an almost entire games worth of activities and complex actions.

The milestones appear to have been entire modules, all of which were just supposed to fit together like bricks because this is as far as Chris' understanding of how object oriented programming is supposed to work.

So naturally nothing actually fit together, and the whole plan for the project became "we now we have to get this in there ourselves because group X was so stupid!" even though it was not group C being stupid at all; they were only as good as the requirements and specs they were provided. The expectations for the end results were impossible, but the ceo didn't care at the time.

So all senses of milestones are abandoned now, and they're limping along with patches where they try to throw whatever they can in there; with the major focus being on supporting whatever new mechanic some the next best space ship is supposed to do.

Where is the project in regards to milestones vs expected completion??? Nobody knows.

When will it be done??? Nobody knows.

These issues aren't fixable with time and money; they only get worse and worse. The promises for "what we have done!" constantly pile up because you need to show some progress to people who aren't buying you new ship to enjoy the 10 minutes of choppy gameplay you ramrodded into the game just for that sale.

Pretty soon a year goes by, and this feature you said was in there is still not there. And those features pile up. Pretty soon people need to come to some sort of a conclusion :

1: You have no loving clue what you're doing and how

2: You're lying to everybody each time to open your mouth

There's not really a third option, but for CR it was:

3: Absolve yourself of all responsibility for your years of errors and keep on going!

Obviously number 3 is ridiculously silly and stupid to most normal people, and is exactly not what you say at an interview when somebody asks you:

"How did you handle a difficult situation where you obviously screwed up and it cost the company?"

If you answer:

"I forgave myself and took no responsibility for my actions."

You won't be getting that job. And that's exactly what CR is saying to his supporters.

Keep backing the game because it's an epic train wreck that may not happen again in gaming for a long time like this. :)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

So... the only benefit of this whole thing is just so other players can see you eating Cheetos, and dead staring at a computer screen?

This is pretty much the worst product. Nobody is going to be an actor or animated outside of messing around with it for 5 minutes and shutting it all off because they get laggy everywhere with it on.

Oh well. Sounds like a great thing for CIG to sink years and millions on instead of say, a fun game that is fun to play.

Oh, I am pretty sure there will be a whole lot of people practicing their suave-as-gently caress gestures and using them all the time... m'lady :pervert:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It never stops amazing me that the normal critic/troll vs community dynamics of this project are so abnormal.

Normally, trolls are there to ruin your fun, close the pool for AIDs, and generally mess up a good thing with actions the developers didn't anticipate or did a bad job of defending against.

Here, there trolls are literally saying, "you're being scammed, stop spending your money, we're here to help."

And the community is still feeling like, "STOP RUINING OUR FUN."

the trolls literally set up a subreddit to help you get refunds

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Oh, I am pretty sure there will be a whole lot of people practicing their suave-as-gently caress gestures and using them all the time... m'lady :pervert:

Creepy as gently caress.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

doingitwrong posted:

It never stops amazing me that the normal critic/troll vs community dynamics of this project are so abnormal.

Normally, trolls are there to ruin your fun, close the pool for AIDs, and generally mess up a good thing with actions the developers didn't anticipate or did a bad job of defending against.

Here, there trolls are literally saying, "you're being scammed, stop spending your money, we're here to help."

When you’re tripping balls on theorycrafting 24/7, reality itself is the cruelest troll.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

the trolls literally set up a subreddit to help you get refunds

The community is so toxic that being genuinely helpful is seen as trolling. :iia:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Titanic posted:

Nobody is going to be an actor or animated outside of messing around with it for 5 minutes and shutting it all off.

I'd point out if this ever becomes a game I'll turn that poo poo on just to sit and make the stupidest faces I can (which if you saw my face it would be totally easy) while the RPers are trying to be super cerial in their space meetings at the space bar.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AbstractNapper posted:

This looks like some extreme violation of personal space.

Seriously how can this still happen in this... thing?

Except if you look closely it appears to be two of the same person

Its less a violation of personal space and more a violation of causality and euclidean dimensions

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hav posted:

Or they're hoping that the people around them can make it work. Our CEO once asked angrily where his Drones were when Amazon started to roll them out. _But they're a loving stupid idea_ never crossed his mind. He makes around $6 million a year.

The Peter Principle is the idea that someone rises to the level of their incompetence, and it's based on the idea that while you could be a good sergeant, you might not make a good lieutenant, so once you make it there, the promotions stop. But now you have a bad lieutenant. A couple of counters to this have been suggested; demote everyone every year, or promote randomly from a pool of the best and worst performers.

Yes, it's vaguely insane, but I like the application of logic to ape brains. Now consider the Peter Principle without the actual promotion bit, and we have the Chris Roberts problem. Everything flows from one place, and it's not from the best person for the job.

No, I think he's beginning to sweat the gap between his vision and the reality, literally. He has a body of documentary evidence that is going to produce a quite amusing Roberts Vs Roberts series as he starts to suggest that after ten years development is when things get _really_ stale.

So, maybe Croberts is a big believer of the Secret?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Titanic posted:

This is part of the always present mystery of Star Citizen, spurred by the people looking exactly for this kind of game: dreams.

Dreams are difficult to compete with. CR says all the right things, has a big studio, puts out a ton of videos... so the appearance of progress is had. But actual progress is not.

With the amount of time and money and manpower CR has had, it's shocking that he hasn't been able to put out a complete vertical slice of his ideas yet.

Sometimes I sit on meetings for project after action reports for both failed and successful products. Any time I hear "if I had more time and money I could have gotten this in a better state" and their project was perfectly reasonable at the outset, no, no you couldn't have dumbass.

I'm not saying time and money doesn't help, but it's not a magic "I can do anything!" button. There's huge amounts of organization, preparation, analysis, documentation and getting everybody on the same page long before any amounts of code should be written. Most interactions don't need to be totally filled out because of agile, but everybody needs to have a core idea of how tab A is supposed to fit into slot B, and what sort of expectations there are for code necessities and DB, etc etc.

Then armed with this knowledge you set up milestones for deliverables. Each milestone should have some sort of noticeable impact on the project, and shows a definitive forward momentum as well as an understanding of the final goal of the project.

For SC, the documentation appears to be "Dreams of what I think this should be like" full of an almost entire games worth of activities and complex actions.

The milestones appear to have been entire modules, all of which were just supposed to fit together like bricks because this is as far as Chris' understanding of how object oriented programming is supposed to work.

So naturally nothing actually fit together, and the whole plan for the project became "we now we have to get this in there ourselves because group X was so stupid!" even though it was not group C being stupid at all; they were only as good as the requirements and specs they were provided. The expectations for the end results were impossible, but the ceo didn't care at the time.

So all senses of milestones are abandoned now, and they're limping along with patches where they try to throw whatever they can in there; with the major focus being on supporting whatever new mechanic some the next best space ship is supposed to do.

Where is the project in regards to milestones vs expected completion??? Nobody knows.

When will it be done??? Nobody knows.

These issues aren't fixable with time and money; they only get worse and worse. The promises for "what we have done!" constantly pile up because you need to show some progress to people who aren't buying you new ship to enjoy the 10 minutes of choppy gameplay you ramrodded into the game just for that sale.

Pretty soon a year goes by, and this feature you said was in there is still not there. And those features pile up. Pretty soon people need to come to some sort of a conclusion :

1: You have no loving clue what you're doing and how

2: You're lying to everybody each time to open your mouth

There's not really a third option, but for CR it was:

3: Absolve yourself of all responsibility for your years of errors and keep on going!

Obviously number 3 is ridiculously silly and stupid to most normal people, and is exactly not what you say at an interview when somebody asks you:

"How did you handle a difficult situation where you obviously screwed up and it cost the company?"

If you answer:

"I forgave myself and took no responsibility for my actions."

You won't be getting that job. And that's exactly what CR is saying to his supporters.

Keep backing the game because it's an epic train wreck that may not happen again in gaming for a long time like this. :)

Mining in SC is a classic example of how they wrote reams of literature without any consideration for the implementation or playability.

If you have read the mining document its insane. Not only in how much effort it would be to implement (and how far off the current tier 0 implemetation of that is) but in terms of playability its a mess, and not at all single player friendly... or even multiplayer friendly. If its ever implemented you're going to have people sat at various roles doing nothing but watching numbers and pressing buttons occasionally.

This is why i sometimes refer to SC as the devs wanting to make Second Life in space. With so many "planned" features revolving around absoloutely mind numbingly boring activities, but will be very social. Captain calling down to the guy in refinery, checking in on numbers, the guy by the refinery saying aye aye Cap'n while pressing a button to process more ore.

They are planning on spending a lot of dev effort that will only be appreciated by those looking to make SC their lives.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'd point out if this ever becomes a game I'll turn that poo poo on just to sit and make the stupidest faces I can (which if you saw my face it would be totally easy) while the RPers are trying to be super cerial in their space meetings at the space bar.

I would have thought that the saturation of Gary Parpman throughout the materials related to this project would have provided a pretty big hint to backers as to exactly which facial expression they'd be surrounded by if the FOIP fever dream ever actually made it in game.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Mainstream media trying to get in on those 40-like tweets

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

So... the only benefit of this whole thing is just so other players can see you eating Cheetos, and dead staring at a computer screen?

This is pretty much the worst product. Nobody is going to be an actor or animated outside of messing around with it for 5 minutes and shutting it all off because they get laggy everywhere with it on.

Oh well. Sounds like a great thing for CIG to sink years and millions on instead of say, a fun game that is fun to play.

And again, Everquest 2 did this like 10 years ago and it was so unpopular they actually patched it out of the game. Nobody used it.

Its neither cutting edge tech nor something anybody really wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZse9VPzv8c

Its dumb but that's Chris Roberts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I've come around on that fake glassdoor review tbh. The amount of consternation it appears to be causing when the real answer is "Who the gently caress cares, it's obviously fake" is p good

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

And again, Everquest 2 did this like 10 years ago and it was so unpopular they actually patched it out of the game. Nobody used it.

Its neither cutting edge tech nor something anybody really wants.

There are a lot of people who think that if only the software where they live out their dreams could be more *realistic* it would be more *immersive*. This is false, as anyone who has ever lost an afternoon to a good book knows. Words on a page look nothing like the fantasy worlds they depict, but they suck us in all the same.

Making a world both immersive and realistic is really, really, loving hard. This is a big part of why movies cost way WAY more to make than books do. It takes teams of professionals from a huge range of disciplines to bring words like, "In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul." to the screen. Herbert probably dashed that off in 30 seconds or less.

One part of that team of professionals is actors and if there is one thing that most game-loving nerds are not, it is good at acting.

Voice chat harmed immersion in fantasy worlds because you discovered that all those orc and elves you were friends with were just human men and women with modern accents. gently caress it, the ability to name your loving character already did a lot to ruin immersion. FOIP would make all of it even worse.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

doingitwrong posted:

Voice chat harmed immersion in fantasy worlds because you discovered that all those orc and elves you were friends with were just human men and women with modern accents. gently caress it, the ability to name your loving character already did a lot to ruin immersion. FOIP would make all of it even worse.

"Okay Raid. BebopButts, Sephiroth, Legolaaaas43x and Murgen, I need you to stand over there and tank the adds."

Also I think FOIP can only help. How else will you realize that every person you're playing with has that mouth open, zoned out look with the occasional chewing motion as they forget they're broadcasting. And there's that roulette chance of pinging your budy on your space phone and seeing an O face. It'll be amazing. :suicide101:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Virtual Vinegar Strokes: the future of immersion

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Huh, so wait, does the immersive space sim MMO Star Citizen have actually any RP servAHAHAHAFDHAFHADHADFHADFH
I'm sorry, I just can't finish the thought, it's too stupid to type.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

At this point Star Citizen is really just Ready Player One, its second life in space, and that's not realistic to make or actually fun.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

Huh, so wait, does the immersive space sim MMO Star Citizen have actually any RP servAHAHAHAFDHAFHADHADFHADFH
I'm sorry, I just can't finish the thought, it's too stupid to type.

No but a lot of people on the forums where very angry that people were running and jumping inside Olisar, ruining the immersion, and wanted CIG to force players to walk at a realistic pace when inside the station.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Oh I missed this but I have to agree with Vertisce here:
The evidence is right there. Only those that wish to remain deliberately ignorant don't see it :allears:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

I see all those words, but all I'm reading is:

Shitizen 1: "SC is still coming out someday... right?!??"

Shitizen 2: "Of course! And the game will be AMAZING!"

Shitizen 1: "Oh, thank goodness!"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

On that note, I just uploaded a simple one, and it’s free of editorial entirely. (Save for the closed captioning.)

YOUTUBE: A One Minute History of Squadron 42

This is a good summary, G0RF. I thought the initial part with Erin in a christmas cap was from later, but I guess that was just information overload on my part.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Haha, said by someone who refuses to see any evidence of anything wrong with SC or CR.

Maybe take a look in the mirror Verticse.

Also, does he seem to think that we think we can somehow influence the development of this game? I thought we were just having a laugh at it all. I wasn't aware we had control of what goes on inside CIG. I think if we had any influence, we would be using it to push CIG in a direction which would result in a releasable product and to cut back on the bullshit.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Virtual Captain posted:

:woop: ARGCast Season Two will likely be recorded LIVE on Saturday, July 7th in the afternoon :woop:

If someone can mashup a new intro with Stephen Mocking and Chris "I don't manage peoples time well" Roberts, that would be cool
Derek Smart was invited but can't make it on short notice
I don't know how to patch Skype users into Discord so all recording will occur on Discord
If you have never been a guest; here is a group DM invite to express interest: https://discord.gg/d6bT7r (previous guests don't need to click that)
Listen live at https://www.twitch.tv/virtual_captain
:siren: There will be booze :siren:

We're starting soon! Need more guests!!!

Updating Star Citizen major systems progress estimate live while we setup
Make this the #1 watched Star Citizen stream, click here: https://www.twitch.tv/virtual_captain

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Agony Aunt posted:

Also, does he seem to think that we think we can somehow influence the development of this game?

Because when the game dies they'll need someone to blame. It won't be Christ Roberts, his wife or his brother. It won't be the devs or themselves for never holding CIG to any deadlines. No. It'll be those evil FUD-spreading gons. Hat gons.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

even NINTENDO

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

even NINTENDO

OH NOOOOO!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot