Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Shadin posted:

I’ve bought the large racks for both Citadel and Vallejo size bottles. They’re awesome and very worth it.

EDIT: This is the style I got. https://www.hobbyzone.biz/hz/hz_s02s.shtml

The modular system looks cool but seems like it’d get super expensive.

What shipping did you use and how was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

mango sentinel posted:

I've bought from them a few times before. There's only one shipping option for me, but it's always been fine (more expensive now that I moved far away from their warehouse though). Use hobbyzone.pl if you're in Europe though.

I highly recommend the modular stuff too. It's great for organizing all your other crap and helps keep your inevitable hobby mess from getting too crazy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Have any of you nerds bought paint racks from hobbyzone.pl? I really need to organize my paint collection and MDF racks seem the way to go.
Yep, they're outstanding.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I can’t remember exactly the shipping but it was reasonably priced and well packaged. Think like $10 for two of the large ones.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Have any of you nerds bought paint racks from hobbyzone.pl? I really need to organize my paint collection and MDF racks seem the way to go.

Maybe not exactly a rack, but I have their painting station and it's well-made. Surprisingly resistant to random water spills even on the unpainted bits, too.

(also, they make good dice towers, just ask to have yours stained as an extra)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
What are people’s suggested solutions to hunching over your desk while you paint/hobby and having your back in rebellion against you if you try to do more than 30 minutes a day?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Solemn Sloth posted:

What are people’s suggested solutions to hunching over your desk while you paint/hobby and having your back in rebellion against you if you try to do more than 30 minutes a day?

Put your elbows on the desk and your wrists together to make a tripod for your hands. It should elevate the model to head height so you can sit up straight, and it helps stabilize your paintbrush.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lower your chair.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lean back in your chair.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Solemn Sloth posted:

Deadlifts.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Anyone have a reliable method for removing pewter bases that are attached to the pewter minis? I’m working on a Frostgrave warband and have made up some snowy rubble bases, but trying to break my genie off from his base ended with him having no feet and my needing to improvise with some snow and cork. What does everyone use? Is it even worth trying to do a base swap with pewter?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Quidthulhu posted:

Anyone have a reliable method for removing pewter bases that are attached to the pewter minis? I’m working on a Frostgrave warband and have made up some snowy rubble bases, but trying to break my genie off from his base ended with him having no feet and my needing to improvise with some snow and cork. What does everyone use? Is it even worth trying to do a base swap with pewter?

What I've done previously was cut around the feet vertically so it looks like the figure is wearing sandals (only way I can describe it) then chop them off

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Quidthulhu posted:

Yeah I think a jewelers saw is your best best, cut around the feed and then trim off the bottoms. Doesn't sound worth it to me.

What I would do is glue the pewter base to a standard plastic base and then fill in the gaps/edges with green stuff.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Put your elbows on the desk and your wrists together to make a tripod for your hands. It should elevate the model to head height so you can sit up straight, and it helps stabilize your paintbrush.

This is a really fantastic suggestion, thank you. The other suggestions to get a proper height desk and chair are also good but in the meantime this helps immensely

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So I asked an OH&S professional about posture and back strain while painting. His answer was that while it's fine to paint in a high stress posture the problems only really arise when you're holding the same pose for hours on end. His advice was so long as every hour or so you get up and move your arms around a bit through some basic stretches you'll be fine.

I find this convenient because I listen to hour or 90 minute long podcasts while I work, so the end of each episode is my cue to stand up and stretch. So long as you're aware that it's a high stress position and you treat it as such you can stop it messing you up in the long term.

Desk and chair height are also really important. Do what you can to avoid hunching.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Tried painting eyes for the first time. I'm not horrified.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Here are some yellow mans I've been working on. I really want to thank the Badcast Badboyz for telling me to do 5-6 layers of Yriel Yellow - it looked like garbage until I layered enough yellow on.

Sorry for the cellphone pix, I'll have better photos later.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Painted up a gunchicken for 40k. Also working out the kinks of the new camera.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Tried painting eyes for the first time. I'm not horrified.

This is a good looking Primaris Dark Angel Captain :)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zark the Damned posted:

This is a good looking Primaris Dark Angel Captain :)

For the Emperor! the Lion! Sigmar!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are there any other services out there like Hero Forge for making and ordering custom minis? Particularly stuff that looks like it could fit int he 40K universe?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

BigRed0427 posted:

Are there any other services out there like Hero Forge for making and ordering custom minis? Particularly stuff that looks like it could fit int he 40K universe?

From one of the Facebook groups I lurk in, someone mentioned buying the .stl file from HeroForge and using Impact Miniatures to actually print it out.

From what they were saying, it was SLA resin, $5 to print and $5 to ship. Now, obviously I don't know where they're shipping from or to, but for the quality of the mini, it seems like you could save a few bucks and get a better mini overall.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
So the blistering uk heat has had my paint drying quicker than I could get it on the model.

Can confirm, a makeshift wet pallette (I used tescos greaseproof, didn't seem to have wax) is amazing and totally changes everything. I hadn't realised how much time while painting I'd been spending on maintaining paint consistency.

Now it's like mix it and forget it, I've been working from the same pool of white for just over an hour!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
So i spent my painting time this weekend looking at new color schemes.

Left to right, first, there's the Ultramarine and Enchanted flat blues that i tried like four years ago.
Then they discontinued both of those colors, so next there's Altdorf base with Lothien highlights because i followed a color-matching chart. But trying to use a citadel layer paint like altdorf as a base coat suuuucks and forget doing that across a bunch of dudes.

So, the test backpacks are: Codex-Approved macragge and calgar, kantor and altdorf, caledor and lothien, and the fang and fenrisian.
I'll probably do a full guy in each once the weather breaks and i can actually spraycan prime the sprue with the rest of the torsos.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Used some water effects and tamiya clear to make a BLOOD WELL out of some terrain.

What do people use on their terrain to keep it from chipping after too much use? I was gonna brush on some matte varnish and call it a day but if there’s better/cheaper/faster stuff I’m all ears.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Badablack posted:

Used some water effects and tamiya clear to make a BLOOD WELL out of some terrain.

What do people use on their terrain to keep it from chipping after too much use? I was gonna brush on some matte varnish and call it a day but if there’s better/cheaper/faster stuff I’m all ears.

I lay down a reeeaaal thick layer of rattle can Krylon Matt varnish on my resin table. It seems to do a pretty good job

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Finished my first space marine!

Edge highlighting loving sucks.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

Finished my first space marine!

Edge highlighting loving sucks.

This is fantastic. Amazing job!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ceebees posted:

So i spent my painting time this weekend looking at new color schemes.

Left to right, first, there's the Ultramarine and Enchanted flat blues that i tried like four years ago.
Then they discontinued both of those colors, so next there's Altdorf base with Lothien highlights because i followed a color-matching chart. But trying to use a citadel layer paint like altdorf as a base coat suuuucks and forget doing that across a bunch of dudes.

So, the test backpacks are: Codex-Approved macragge and calgar, kantor and altdorf, caledor and lothien, and the fang and fenrisian.
I'll probably do a full guy in each once the weather breaks and i can actually spraycan prime the sprue with the rest of the torsos.

Each one looks pretty great, although personally I would highlight the kantor blue one with something lighter and/or more saturated than altdorf. I'd really like to see your full marines in each one cause I think they'll be awesome

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

FromTheShire posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on materials to use to transfer GW paints to dropper bottles? I know I've seen it done by someone either in here or the 40k thread but I haven't been able to re-find it, and Amazon has rapidly given me analysis paralysis with approximately 10 billion results for dropper bottles and tiny funnels and agitators.

I didn't use the funnels - I bought them and realized that it was just as easy to thin the paints a bit and just pour them into the dropper bottles. Unless you have very unsteady hands, you can easily pour in a thin enough stream to transfer the paint.

Thanqol posted:

So I asked an OH&S professional about posture and back strain while painting. His answer was that while it's fine to paint in a high stress posture the problems only really arise when you're holding the same pose for hours on end. His advice was so long as every hour or so you get up and move your arms around a bit through some basic stretches you'll be fine.

I find this convenient because I listen to hour or 90 minute long podcasts while I work, so the end of each episode is my cue to stand up and stretch. So long as you're aware that it's a high stress position and you treat it as such you can stop it messing you up in the long term.

Desk and chair height are also really important. Do what you can to avoid hunching.

This. Just like sitting at a desk, staring at your PC, you need to get your rear end up and moving once in a while. It's a pain to have to put down your brush if you're in a zone, but you need to do it.

Also, us nerds are not in the best of shape usually, and our cores muscles are like limp spaghetti. Exercises that work your core (crunches, deadlifts, yoga poses, etc) that will strengthen your core are really going to help. (This is coming from the guy who spent four hours on the couch in the same position playing Fallout: New Vegas yesterday, and now has a sore shoulder.)

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Booyah- posted:

Each one looks pretty great, although personally I would highlight the kantor blue one with something lighter and/or more saturated than altdorf. I'd really like to see your full marines in each one cause I think they'll be awesome

Really? I actually liked how subtle the kantor/altdorf highlight was, but i guess that's just my taste. And thanks! I'll post them when they're done, though it might be a while. I'm also going to try out glue-and-go vs subassemblies while i'm testing things.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone have a recommendation for a little starter kit for painting, something not too expensive so its not a huge investment if it turns out to be something I'm not really digging? There are a couple reaper miniatures starter kits on Amazon that I was looking at, but I'm not sure if thats a good starting place.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ceebees posted:

Really? I actually liked how subtle the kantor/altdorf highlight was, but i guess that's just my taste. And thanks! I'll post them when they're done, though it might be a while. I'm also going to try out glue-and-go vs subassemblies while i'm testing things.

yeah it's all personal preference of course, if anything I error on the side of too bright and garish so it wouldn't be subtle

Doorknob Slobber posted:

does anyone have a recommendation for a little starter kit for painting, something not too expensive so its not a huge investment if it turns out to be something I'm not really digging? There are a couple reaper miniatures starter kits on Amazon that I was looking at, but I'm not sure if thats a good starting place.

is there a particular model you'd like to paint, or color scheme you are going for?

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 9, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've got some Vallejo grey primer that is just insanely light and watery to the point where it takes 3-4 coats out of an airbrush to get even coverage over bare plastic. Is this normal for that shade of primer or did I get a bum bottle? None of my other Vallejo primers have this issue, so I feel like it's probably down to this bottle, but I wanted to check before I bought another one.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Booyah- posted:

is there a particular model you'd like to paint, or color scheme you are going for?

not necessarily, I've got some unpainted stuff from boardgames like gloomhaven and little robot figures from a video game kickstarter that I could use though

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I've got some Vallejo grey primer that is just insanely light and watery to the point where it takes 3-4 coats out of an airbrush to get even coverage over bare plastic. Is this normal for that shade of primer or did I get a bum bottle? None of my other Vallejo primers have this issue, so I feel like it's probably down to this bottle, but I wanted to check before I bought another one.

I also have Vallejo grey primer and while I've never been impressed with its coverage, what you describe is much worse than anything I've experienced. I suspect you're right, and it's your bottle that's the problem.

(I bought a whole flat of Stinylrez primers -- the set with all the different colors -- only to get home and discover every single bottle in the set was skunked. You have my sympathies.)

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Reaper Master Series Paint Starter set appears to cover a good chunk of the spectrum but no included brushes or minis. The ones with figs tend to skip some basic color or another.

I'd also consider the Vallejo Game Color Intro Set. A little pricier and still no brushes or figs, but more paints.

Neither come with a shade wash like the Army Painter starter sets though I've found AP paints to be rather variable in quality.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ceebees posted:

Then they discontinued both of those colors...

Have you considered using Coat d'Arms paints (the original manufacturer of Citadel paints back when Ultramarines Blue was a color) or Vallejo Game Colors (which tries to copy a lot of the old Citadel colors)? That way, you don't have to settle on a new scheme. And you also get the benefit of getting more paint for less money! (At least for VGC; I haven't looked into buying Coat d'Arms.)

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Have you considered using Coat d'Arms paints (the original manufacturer of Citadel paints back when Ultramarines Blue was a color) or Vallejo Game Colors (which tries to copy a lot of the old Citadel colors)? That way, you don't have to settle on a new scheme. And you also get the benefit of getting more paint for less money! (At least for VGC; I haven't looked into buying Coat d'Arms.)

I had not! I'll probably give them a try once these eight pots of different citadel blues run out, just for cost per ounce... But I'm already eight pots of blue in, so it seems silly to turn back now (I had a gift card, don't look at me like that).

At first, I was trying to color match on the hope of getting my new mans to fit in with the ones I had done before my long hiatus, but as you might see from the new vs old there, I've just learned so much in the last few months that that was never going to work out. Thanks, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

If I want to clear coat before a wash to aid with flow, can I just use a spray can gloss varnish? i see people doing airbrush voodoo with furniture polish and stuff and i'm not down for buying more equipment.

Related: How do the varnishes in Vallejo's standard (62.062 and 62.064) range differ from the Mecha Colors varnishes (26.701 and 26.702)? I just want something I can brush on that isn't gonna bend me over on price.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 9, 2018