Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I was wondering about the arena weapons. Do we know how much power the box hammers hit with?

The announcers mentioned once that they hit with 100 pounds of force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If only we had some kind of science guy to explain it to us.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Great Beer posted:

They reverse when something jams them to prevent the motor from exploding.

That's what saved Witch Doctor.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

WampaLord posted:

The announcers mentioned once that they hit with 100 pounds of force

That's it? No wonder it seems so impotent.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

That's it? No wonder it seems so impotent.

Their wiki says 150, but that would still need to be "per square inch" to be interesting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Saw Blaze metagaming is nothing new. Bite Force won the tournament with a do-nothing primary weapon in 2015. They switched to a vertical spinner after that, but they used to just rely on being a solidly-built wedge and occasionally it would pick someone up.

I never need to see Overhaul again. What a boring piece of poo poo.

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of pieces of poo poo I appreciate the effort they put into its ai but has Chomp ever actually accomplished anything? Even the MIT bot dunked on it.

e: lmao Duck! rules

The last season it made it to the playoffs and eliminated one of the powerhouse bots (I think the reigning champ Bite Force?) with a single shot in the first round. But it really relies on nailing that one shot, which rarely happens.

I like to see Chomp every season. I enjoy this woman's nonsensical struggle to completely eliminate driving from the competition. I expect at some point she's going to show up with a robot that's totally autonomous.

Duck seems like it's basically using a similar strategy to Saw Blaze, they just aren't as savvy about it. If they don't fight a spinner they can disable using its own force, they're gonna get rolled.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Does anyone else get angry at teams that gimp themselves by splitting up the driving and weapon controls and giving them to two different people?

Like you're not in the loving drift cockpit from Pacific Rim, in the time it takes for you two to talk to each other the opportunity to strike has already passed.

I can just imagine "Okay, hit them NOW! No, you were too slow, NOW! No, too slow again, NOW!" over and over

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WampaLord posted:

Does anyone else get angry at teams that gimp themselves by splitting up the driving and weapon controls and giving them to two different people?

Like you're not in the loving drift cockpit from Pacific Rim, in the time it takes for you two to talk to each other the opportunity to strike has already passed.

I can just imagine "Okay, hit them NOW! No, you were too slow, NOW! No, too slow again, NOW!" over and over

Can't the other person just see when to press the button

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Can't the other person just see when to press the button

But they don't have a psychic mind meld with the driver, there's a delay from having to visually process that it's time to strike, but if you're the one driving and doing the weapon, you know when you're going to be in position to strike as you're doing it.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right, but I honestly can't see the benefit to splitting the driving and weapons systems. Like in theory it gives each person just one thing to focus on, but in practice I see no way you'd be more effective than one driver.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

WampaLord posted:

No, not at all. Just driving around can get seriously nerve-wracking in a fight, and handing off some parts of the robot to someone else can be a big help. Two people can focus 100% on weapon or driving instead on one person trying to juggle both. I think ideally it would be better for one person to do everything, but it can be harder than it sounds. I've got a 3lb lifting robot and immediately before every fight I practice moving my left thumb in the direction that lifting the enemy would be and repeat something like "up is lift, up is lift" over and over. There's nothing worse than getting your opponent in the perfect position, and then moving your stick in the wrong direction. Because it happens. Even for like a spinner robot if your blade is stalled, if you're distracted by driving, you might take a second or two to realize to take your thumb off the throttle, and in the meantime you've burnt out something expensive. Having a second person there controlling the weapon would prevent that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

No, not at all. Just driving around can get seriously nerve-wracking in a fight, and handing off some parts of the robot to someone else can be a big help. Two people can focus 100% on weapon or driving instead on one person trying to juggle both. I think ideally it would be better for one person to do everything, but it can be harder than it sounds. I've got a 3lb lifting robot and immediately before every fight I practice moving my left thumb in the direction that lifting the enemy would be and repeat something like "up is lift, up is lift" over and over. There's nothing worse than getting your opponent in the perfect position, and then moving your stick in the wrong direction. Because it happens. Even for like a spinner robot if your blade is stalled, if you're distracted by driving, you might take a second or two to realize to take your thumb off the throttle, and in the meantime you've burnt out something expensive. Having a second person there controlling the weapon would prevent that.

Fair enough, I guess I can see some of the benefit, but also I feel like I see quite a few bots just miss really easy opportunities to use their weapon and oftentimes it feels like because of this dynamic.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

WampaLord posted:

Fair enough, I guess I can see some of the benefit, but also I feel like I see quite a few bots just miss really easy opportunities to use their weapon and oftentimes it feels like because of this dynamic.

It sure is easy to armchair-Battlebot and wonder why Bronco didn't launch the opponent on all the great opportunities it had during a slo-mo replay. It's way different in real time from the one perspective you get standing there. You bring up a really good question though! There is no perfect answer, there's a lot of different strategies, and there's going to be pilot error no matter what you do. It would be a cool thing to interview people about on the show and I wish they'd do that.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Oddly relevant to the current discussion, after the Bronco fight we switched the transmitter setup so the disk was operated by a second person. With all the spin-up issues we were having, me needing to take thought away from driving to try to get the disk spinning (usually requiring playing with the throttle a bit until everything synched properly) was having an impact on the driving at the worst possible moments. If the weapon doesn't require much thought beyond "NOW!" then I prefer to control it, but when there's significant mental effort to make it work, then a person dedicated to it is nice, particularly if there's no need to coordinate activation.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GuavaMoment posted:

It sure is easy to armchair-Battlebot and wonder why Bronco didn't launch the opponent on all the great opportunities it had during a slo-mo replay. It's way different in real time from the one perspective you get standing there.

Now that you've mentioned it, I'd love to see the game from a player's perspective to see how lovely it is. Not just a camera guy behind the player, but a "go pro on their forehead" or some other way of really getting a feel for how it all looks from the driver's perspective.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Now that was a good battle of spinners. Yeti definitely has a ton of muscle, but it's a shame about the wheel on Bombshell.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That was a very exciting episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm shocked at how sturdy Huge is.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

GuavaMoment posted:

It would be a cool thing to interview people about on the show and I wish they'd do that.

MikeNCR posted:

Oddly relevant to the current discussion, after the Bronco fight we switched the transmitter setup

And they did show it! Both judges decision were super close, those were some tough calls to make for them. How bad was the fire? What burned out?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Very fun episode, I've been very impressed with the television production this season. They've generated a lot of good matchups, and have been doing a decent job of keeping attention for fights

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
I think the judges made a strange call on that last one, I thought they were suppose to keep somewhat of a tally of hits etc to judge score. Ken seemed salty about it too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PITT posted:

I think the judges made a strange call on that last one, I thought they were suppose to keep somewhat of a tally of hits etc to judge score. Ken seemed salty about it too.

It was a weird one. If I was scoring that fight, I'd give Icewave full credit for damage, none for control, and little for strategy. And I'd give Skorpios no credit for damage and full credit for control and strategy. So, then there's aggression. That makes it a tough call, like, in my mind, Skorpios was being way, way more aggressive, since Icewave spent most of that fight running away, but it didn't get many attacks in with its powered weapon, which is supposed to be the most important aspect of aggression. But then there's also "consideration is also given if the attacking robot is risking serious damage on each attack," which would be in Skorpios' favor. If I was a judge, I'd probably have scored it as a slim victory for Icewave, but I could see it going the other way depending on how you interpret "aggression."

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

GuavaMoment posted:

And they did show it! Both judges decision were super close, those were some tough calls to make for them. How bad was the fire? What burned out?

Somewhat early in the fight Yeti tagged one of our drive axles, bending it. While this didn't cause binding, that side of the bot was bouncing like crazy the rest of the fight which was part of why it wasn't driving as well after that point. The other issue it caused (as best I can tell) was that you're hammering the wheel into the ground causing brief, repetitive current spikes. In theory, we should have been fine as the esc current limit was set to 100A less than the rated continuous current (VictorBB at 200A) and the motor was being run at the recommended specs. (48v long Ampflow) In practice, the commutator on the drive motor exploded and the motor controller caught fire near simultaneously. Murphys law being what it is, the esc that caught fire was the one we hadn't disabled the bec on (we'd heard of issues with having multiples of these escs all with their becs enabled killing the escs) which meant the receiver turned off and the motor/esc that wasn't burned up stopped.

Based on the issues we saw in our own use and with other teams we decided that for future builds we'd be actively avoiding both the motor and esc unless we had no other option.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Not gonna lie, I'm salty as gently caress about the split decision on that Icewave / Skorpios fight. That was some bullshit :argh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm salty as gently caress about the split decision on that Icewave / Skorpios fight. That was some bullshit :argh:

Hard same. Worst call of Battlebots ever.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MikeNCR posted:

In theory, we should have been fine as the esc current limit was set to 100A less than the rated continuous current (VictorBB at 200A) and the motor was being run at the recommended specs. (48v long Ampflow)

Arent the 48v Ampflows the same ones witch doctors team had to remove?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
pairing a 2-0 bot against an 0-2 bot is kind of weird matchmaking

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

got some chores tonight posted:

pairing a 2-0 bot against an 0-2 bot is kind of weird matchmaking

Very symmetrical though.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Great Beer posted:

Arent the 48v Ampflows the same ones witch doctors team had to remove?

They were running the 150's, we were running the 400's. Neither seems terribly capable of handling the power Ampflow claims they're able to put out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

I'm shocked at how sturdy Huge is.

There's a robot just like it on the British version of Battlebots called Gabriel that I think the Huge guys straight-up ripped off.

http://www.robotwars.tv/competitors/season-10/week-2/gabriel-2/

Except the British one is a lot dumber because it just swings a blade. But it has won matches just by being durable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Huge is going to take the title, I'm calling it.
Not really.

Maybe next week Chomp can fight that shoebox with a flag on it that Yeti brought, probably still lose. Brutus put on a good show. I was a little surprised at the Unanimous decision for Yeti even if I am rooting for them. He needs more strategy than slam head first into the enemy weapon again and again, that's all he ever does.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tombstone gonna win.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

T1g4h posted:

I get it. Technically Icewave should have won and I don't think anyone would have contested if they did, BUT Icewave could have sat still the entire match and it wouldn't have affected the outcome. Icewave ran from Skorpios almost the entire match, they were outdriven.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
After reading the rules I understand and kind of agree with both close decisions. Try thinking backwards if it helps. Imagine a fight where one bot gets 2 damage points, and the other bot gets all 3 of the other points to win. What would that fight look like? Wouldn't it look kind of exactly like the Icewave Skorpios fight?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

After reading the rules I understand and kind of agree with both close decisions. Try thinking backwards if it helps. Imagine a fight where one bot gets 2 damage points, and the other bot gets all 3 of the other points to win. What would that fight look like? Wouldn't it look kind of exactly like the Icewave Skorpios fight?

Basically

Does this imply that a really, really good wedge bot could compete?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PostNouveau posted:

Basically

Does this imply that a really, really good wedge bot could compete?

The rules require that a bot have some kind of powered weapon to enter.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
I been starting to think a lot of these close decisions could be averted if the fights were a minute or so longer. Seems like the buzzer is often going off when its getting interesting. I was watching some robot wars YouTube video and noticed they had 5 min fights.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Watching Spectre from King of Bots makes me think they really should crank up the wall hazards a touch in the Battlebots arena. Would also be relevant for when someone loses their main weapon like the Scorpius fight.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chomp is bad but it is solidly built, that's the only time I remember it really getting wrecked.

I want to see Tombstone vs Huge. I suspect Tombstone would rip those wheels apart but if they're flexible enough that it doesn't, that'd be a real fight. Being so tall you're above everyone's weapons seems to be working out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Chomp is bad but it is solidly built, that's the only time I remember it really getting wrecked.

I want to see Tombstone vs Huge. I suspect Tombstone would rip those wheels apart but if they're flexible enough that it doesn't, that'd be a real fight. Being so tall you're above everyone's weapons seems to be working out for them.

I feel like even if those wheels somehow held up, Tombstone's blade would be able to break/disable Huge's.

• Locked thread