Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I remember this article, good work.

Thanks, Pick. Good work on your STar Trek drawings thread going gold, I am willing to eat crow for hating on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Leavemywife posted:

Kolchak is still good stuff, though. I got the whole series for like, $17 at Wal-Mart. Easily one of the best purchases I've made there.

yeah it's still solid entertainment for what it's worth, i enjoyed it too

imho the problem just is the original premise was only designed for a one-shot tv movie/unpublished novel iirc which turned out to be weirdly popular when it first aired so then they made another one and then they tried to stretch the idea into a tv series which was a little awkward (but still worked) but now when you compare it to modern shows that awkwardness shows a little more since program formats like the x-files more easily accommodate a new monster investigation every week

Drunk Nerds posted:

I wrote an article for Cracked, back 10 years ago when it wasn't horrible poo poo, that looked at exactly this:
https://archive.li/y0iw0

hey great stuff, i can still recognize it ten years later

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

I wrote an article for Cracked, back 10 years ago when it wasn't horrible poo poo, that looked at exactly this:

Basically

- Roseanne's last season was off the rails stupid
- Flintstones brought in time traveling, wish granting alien
- Family Matters turned into Urkel's sci fi wackyporium
- Felicity, freaking felicity, turned from romcom teen show to time traveling witch poo poo
- Airwolf lost the rights to use the helicopter, so it pieced together shows with archived footage of the Airwolf

I was absolutely in the wrong demographic to watch Felicity as a 15 year old straight male when it came out, but I've always had confusing memories of it, like "Was it like Sabrina the Teenage Witch? Nah, it was just a teen drama, right?" I guess this is why. Also your article makes Felicity's premise sound a whole hell of a lot like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and that show didn't even exist when you wrote that article.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ariong posted:

Huh? It's a well established thing that Homer strangles Bart on a pretty regular basis. I'm sure they've quietly retired that now, but this seems pretty tame by comparison.

In that weird VH1 'Behind the Show' thing they did, Homer refers to the strangling as "a horrible act of child abuse which became one of our best-loved gags", which I thought was great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Straight White Shark posted:

You're actually not too far off. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some cross-pollination between the two, especially once Burn Notice started getting back into official spy poo poo.

There's even an episode where Archer's mom gets drunk(er than usual) and mad at Archer and puts out a burn notice on him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I will defend the later seasons of Sabrina the Teenage Witch with this: When Harvey came back from his Hiatus, he became really funny and a lot more interesting because he got a lot of stuff to do due to finally being in on the secret. Standout Moments from Season 6:

1) Salem trying to convince Sabrina and her family to help let him help them cheat at poker. Sabrina turns him down flat, and Harvey does too, but then Josh proves to be a poor winner and Harvey gives Salem a small nod, and they start cheating like crazy.

2) Harvey and Josh discussing Sabrina in the coffee shop. Josh is annoyed and says that he thinks he knows why she and Harvey broke up - Harvey thinks he's figured it out, and during their conversation Josh thinks Harvey is speaking metaphorically about all the weird magic poo poo until this amazing exchange:
H: Well, that's nothing compared to the time she made me pregnant...
J: Wait, what are you talking about?
H: What are you talking about *flees in horror as he realises his mistake*

3) Harvey being in on the secret being discovered by the Spellman family's cruel matriarch, who tortures Harvey to prove his loyalty to the Spellmans and his resolve in keeping her secret. Harvey's final test is to tell her what he thinks of her (in a kind of teasing "Do you think I'm pretty sort of way), and the others are hoping to hell that he'll be complimentary. He summarises his feeling as such: "You are extremely pretty. However, you are also a horrible person." Her response is to admit "Yup, you nailed me. I'm a bitch. Well done, welcome to the family kid."

4) Sabrina's evil twin putting a spell on her via a email virus that turns Sabrina into an airhead. Harvey notices the situation and gets her straight to her aunts for help. Well done Harvey.

He just gets so much to do and it's kind of cool.

This is reminding me of why modern superhero movies tend to dispense with the secret identity poo poo, or have close friends and family immediately figure it out; the comics tapped that well dry long long ago and there's actually a lot you can do with an ordinary person dealing with ridiculous supernatural bullshit going on around them. Hell, even Smallville specifically added a character who's in on Clark's secret while maintaining the usual dynamic with his love interests. For that matter, so did the Sabrina cartoon probably for exactly the same reason.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Basically

- Roseanne's last season was off the rails stupid
- Flintstones brought in time traveling, wish granting alien
- Family Matters turned into Urkel's sci fi wackyporium
- Felicity, freaking felicity, turned from romcom teen show to time traveling witch poo poo
- Airwolf lost the rights to use the helicopter, so it pieced together shows with archived footage of the Airwolf

The Roseanne one is certainly a bit funnier in hindsight.

Also, the finale movie for the original Flintstones series is a caveman version of Moonraker where Fred Flintstone is recruited to replace a missing secret agent who looks exactly like him.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Jun 28, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The best farewell episode for Scrubs was during Cougartown.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think the original ending of Roseanne made up for the rest of season 9 being poo poo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One of the plots they considered for Dexter would have been his dad actually being alive and following him around the whole time. I’m almost disappointed they didn’t go with it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dexter is truly a bad TV powerhouse.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bobjr posted:

One of the plots they considered for Dexter would have been his dad actually being alive and following him around the whole time. I’m almost disappointed they didn’t go with it.

Like, those visions he had would actually have been his actual father all along? That'd be hilarious.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Samuringa posted:

Like, those visions he had would actually have been his actual father all along? That'd be hilarious.

Yeah, it was one of the plans for the last season. It would be terrible writing but enjoyable to me at least.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Drunk Nerds posted:

I remember that article -- good stuff. Also, I'd had no idea USA even tried an Airwolf reboot until I first read it.

Anyway, your passage here:

quote:

It was like finding out that Cliff Huxtable had murdered his family, buried them in the basement and then hallucinated a decade of wacky Cosby adventures.

seems oddly prescient in light of what we found out about Bill Cosby in recent years.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bobjr posted:

This is like a Reverse Scrubs, where originally the Janitor was going to be all in JD's head, they even specifically didn't have him interact with any other characters so they could pull this twist, then they decided that Neil Flynn was too good to waste and made him "real" again.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bobjr posted:

Yeah, it was one of the plans for the last season. It would be terrible writing but enjoyable to me at least.

even at it's absolute best dexter skated a fine line between hokey black comedy and dead awful tripe, i had enough fun back in season 2 to recommend it to people i know as a kind of niche tv show but i fully recant that recommendation now seeing how much more awful it got later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5kOl_zNs14

forgiving the fan music edit in the middle - this scene is where, within the show's fiction, two of the most dangerous, most successful serial killers to ever live meet one another during the Best Story Arc of the Best Season with the Best Acted Guest Villain and it's still got: cringey puns, dancing presented as non sequitur, completely on the nose dialogues & monologues and if the clip started 15 seconds earlier iirc dexter completely guides the audience along the episode's events as if he couldn't trust the audience to keep up by themselves

and this, friends, was top tier television

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Dexter was campy and bad but I liked it for a while. The series should have ended at the end of that season with John Lithgow though. It went straight awful after that and had it concluded then it would have retained what limited dignity it ever possessed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I never watched Dexter, per se, but my college roommate one year watched the first two seasons on his laptop and I listened to it while I was studying.

It worked pretty well as an audio drama, at least early on.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Dexter should have ended with him giving up to Dep and freeing Doakes from the cage. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bSEfx6D8mA

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Shadin posted:

Dexter was campy and bad but I liked it for a while. The series should have ended at the end of that season with John Lithgow though. It went straight awful after that and had it concluded then it would have retained what limited dignity it ever possessed.

Nah it should've stopped after season 6 because that painting of Michael C. Hall as a demon is hilarious.

Everything after that exact moment was utter garbage though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The last season did give us the treadmill moment though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wow, didn't expect to come to this thread and see all this Dexter hate. I've been wanting to watch through it again, but any time I bring it up gf just says "LUMBERJACK??". I mean yeah it sucks but there is so much good in that show. Season 5 even was good but the whole 6-7-8 was obviously a poor send off.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked season 1 quite a bit. 2-4 were OK, though largely retreading the same ground and lack the tension provided by Doakes.

In the later seasons everyone close to Dexter is dead, gone or in on his secret so there are no stakes and I don't care if he gets caught. The incest subplot with his sister was awful.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I said it years ago, Doakes should have joined Dad as an advice giving ghost trying to talk him into turning himself over to the police.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

early dexter was fine for a kind of niche tv but it gets to be pretty awful down the line imho, either way no matter how you feel about its quality early on it's definitely an example of a show that ran out of steam in its final seasons

i'd say a similar show concurrent to dexter that also had its good seasons early then ran out of steam was californication, it also retread its one idea to the point where if you liked the show in s1 or s2 you were probably exhausted by s7 imho

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Dexter went downhill for me after Doakes's death because Dexter no longer had an antagonist as a serial killer. Without that, the show seemed to lose the plot and be less of a character study of a serial killer blood splatter analyst and more a soap opera based on the sex lives of the Miami PD. The writing was campy, which worked in a cheesy horror movie way for the serial killer plot, but failed when the focus shifted to drama.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

OutOfPrint posted:

Dexter went downhill for me after Doakes's death because Dexter no longer had an antagonist as a serial killer. Without that, the show seemed to lose the plot and be less of a character study of a serial killer blood splatter analyst and more a soap opera based on the sex lives of the Miami PD. The writing was campy, which worked in a cheesy horror movie way for the serial killer plot, but failed when the focus shifted to drama.

Uh, what about Quinahaha nah I can't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate Dexter but the intro is still great. The same ad company did the intros for Six Feet Under and True Blood.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The intro starts with him shaving and ends with him walking out of the house with a face full of stubble. If his hair grows that fast how is he not a yeti by five o'clock?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate Dexter but the intro is still great. The same ad company did the intros for Six Feet Under and True Blood.

Yeah that was a great intro. Breakfast has never been more gruesome.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Thranguy posted:

The intro starts with him shaving and ends with him walking out of the house with a face full of stubble. If his hair grows that fast how is he not a yeti by five o'clock?

It only grows to that five o clock shadow. Dexter shaves every morning but the stubble returns as soon as he finishes, a modern Sisyphus.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

fruit on the bottom posted:

It only grows to that five o clock shadow. Dexter shaves every morning but the stubble returns as soon as he finishes, a modern Sisyphus.

The Dexter Clause

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A modern homer simpson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD_kLQUTeRA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basically the same as House. Who somehow never shaved but also never actually grew a beard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thranguy posted:

He clearly only shaves his neck. When he's flossing you can see his neck's shaved but his face isn't. His breakfast routine makes no sense though. First he cooks and eats the bacon. Then he cooks and eats an egg. Then he makes coffee and orange juice and cleans his teeth. Then he puts on shoes. Then finally a shirt. So he cooked bacon and eggs shirtless, and he put his shoes on before he finished getting dressed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiggum posted:

He clearly only shaves his neck. When he's flossing you can see his neck's shaved but his face isn't. His breakfast routine makes no sense though. First he cooks and eats the bacon. Then he cooks and eats an egg. Then he makes coffee and orange juice and cleans his teeth. Then he puts on shoes. Then finally a shirt. So he cooked bacon and eggs shirtless, and he put his shoes on before he finished getting dressed.

Well, he is supposed to be a psychopath.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He only didn't become a leather-clad 90s superhero because Miami's too hot for it.

And given said weather I'm down with only putting on a shirt when absolutely necessary.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I can't get over how awful Agents of SHIELD is. Poorly lit, grey concrete corridors double for everything, and even with all the fuzzy filters and terrible lighting the CGI and costumes are still terrible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I haven't seen much Dexter, but the impression I get is that his moral sociopathy and self-professed detachment from humanity results in him being a huge loving weirdo whether he's going through his daily routine or artfully disposing of corpses. (does he start eating people in the show?)

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't seen much Dexter, but the impression I get is that his moral sociopathy and self-professed detachment from humanity results in him being a huge loving weirdo whether he's going through his daily routine or artfully disposing of corpses. (does he start eating people in the show?)

He never eats people and what makes Doakes such a good foil for Dexter is he's the only one that notices that something about Dexter is hosed up but nobody believes him.

Doakes is basically the guy from the Chicken Boo cartoon shorts screaming "He's a giant chicken I tell you! A chicken!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dexter doesn’t make sense as a character because his entire thing is supposed to be that he can’t feel normal emotions but half the show is about how he feels normal emotions