Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

He also says a lot of dumb poo poo about women

Like there are valid reasons to think hes a dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Man my eyes were rolling backwards by the half point of that guys question

From what I understood that guy was asking if THE JEWS could take over the world or something, but a refusal to even acknowledge that bullshit doesnt seem like an agreement to me

seems like an agreement when an overwhelming amount of your fanbase believes that they indeed could and you are refusing to use your platform to disabuse them of the notion

like dude if you wanna suck kermit, it's cool, but stop acting like he's a worthwhile human being

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Subjunctive posted:

You are a credulous buffoon of uncommon magnitude.
Lol

Subjunctive posted:

he refuses to distance himself from his toxic alt-right fan base

This seems like the most troubling aspect of this guy I could see, but in the few interviews Ive listened to hes not reciting mein kampf or anything close, on the contrary.

maybe I dont know the secret codes hes sending out to other Nazis. Also I havent seen the video someone else recommended about him a few pages ago, supposedly exposing him

Anyway, carry on, Im not gonna die on the Jordan Peterson hill. If anything Im more curious about it and would love some proof of his supposed racism or nazism

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

To be fair most visible alt righters arent quoting mein kampf either.

I dont think hes a Nazi, I just think hes another run of the mill right wing white guy intellectual whose target audience is young right wing insecure virgin white boys. Not inherently bad, but when you hear what he has to say about left wing politics and women, its hard to justify his position and approach.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lol

He is so depressed

I heard his recent rogan interview, he directly addresses a lot of the criticisms the internet has.

I still think he’s a good guy, I don’t understand the hard on the internet has to hate him, his message is mostly good and nothing out of the ordinary for self help

Stand up straight with your shoulders back
Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
Make friends with people who want the best for you
Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
Tell the truth – or, at least, don't lie
Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don't
Be precise in your speech
Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Because absolutely none of these things are original to him or even particularly meaningful advice and half the time he doesn't even live up to them himself and yet he gets worshipped by this bizarre cult of personality and it is entirely because he triggers people

Like the refrain literally everybody uses is oh sure he's said some dumb things but he's said some good things too and it's like so the gently caress what? Why does JBP in particular deserve disproportionate accolades simply because some of the things he says are good advice? He's just Dawkins 2.0, people loving love him because he's perceived to be transgressive in the most milquetoast way possible against nonsensical enemies while exhibiting a lot of the same behaviors he rails against and he's too fuckin wrapped up in his own rear end in a top hat to be self reflective because he's the professor and the therapist, he's supposed to act as a mirror to people who are sick, he can't have pathologies of his own!

Plus he's so evasive and nonspecific in his claims that he will walk back and divert every time he's called out on something and claim he's being misinterpreted or misrepresented, so he can have his ideological cake and eat it to. He is effectively anything to everyone, which is why if you try to look up, say, his opinions on God and religion, you'll find a slew of articles from both atheists claiming him as their own because of his logical reasonableness and conservative Christians who are delighted by him because he could bring atheists back to God. And you'll find both sides condemning him in equal measure for the same poo poo. He's frustrating because he's a chaotic mess of emotional meanderings who threads his thoughts together with post hoc logical connections in the same way we apply a coherent narrative to a dream once we're awake. He's the definition of reactionary in the literal sense, he responds to his emotions and then justifies them afterwards, then claims he was being rational all along, which is why his main cultural touchstone seems to be movies aimed at children. Combine all that with a deeply profound sincerity and Peterson's popularity and you finally start to piece together why he's popular: he's sincere without a strong moral core, so he weeps at the flux of vague concepts like "individualism" and utterly free of the irony poisoning that has ravaged the majority of the rest of us, but that alone doesn't make for a good spiritual leader or mentor since it's clear he can't even be assed to clean up his own loving room before appearing on a live video for millions of people to see even though it's literally a core tenet of his loving imbecile self help philosophy. At least hire a loving maid and fake it you dullard

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Subjunctive posted:

You are a credulous buffoon of uncommon magnitude. He is widely known within his faculty as an rear end in a top hat (though his academic work is reputedly strong), he refuses to distance himself from his toxic alt-right fan base, and his ramblings dont stand up to even cursory examination (see the trivial comparison to the civil rights movement posted earlier). He is approximately entirely without merit in his public form.

It's not that he disagrees with the alt-right about the Jewish question or whatever, he just thinks that a vast Jewish conspiracy is a good thing because phenology declares Jews to be the smartest race

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
From the NYT interview with Jordan Peterson:

quote:

Mr. Peterson illustrates his arguments with copious references to ancient myths bringing up stories of witches, biblical allegories and ancient traditions. I ask why these old stories should guide us today.

It makes sense that a witch lives in a swamp. Yeah, he says. Why?

Its a hard one.

Right. Thats right. You dont know. Its because those things hang together at a very deep level. Right. Yeah. And it makes sense that an old king lives in a desiccated tower.

But witches dont exist, and they dont live in swamps, I say.

Yeah, they do. They do exist.
They just dont exist the way you think they exist. They certainly exist. You may say well dragons dont exist. Its, like, yes they do the category predator and the category dragon are the same category. It absolutely exists. Its a superordinate category. It exists absolutely more than anything else. In fact, it really exists. What exists is not obvious. You say, Well, theres no such thing as witches. Yeah, I know what you mean, but that isnt what you think when you go see a movie about them. You cant help but fall into these categories. Theres no escape from them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That is an enviable intellect there.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Lol

This seems like the most troubling aspect of this guy I could see, but in the few interviews Ive listened to hes not reciting mein kampf or anything close, on the contrary.

maybe I dont know the secret codes hes sending out to other Nazis. Also I havent seen the video someone else recommended about him a few pages ago, supposedly exposing him

Anyway, carry on, Im not gonna die on the Jordan Peterson hill. If anything Im more curious about it and would love some proof of his supposed racism or nazism

how is the video i linked, where he admits he is incapable of answering a question about whether or not there is a worldwide jewish conspiracy to control the world/media, not proof he might be a bit of a racist nazi. i thought in tyool2018 we were all capable of admitting that there just isn't a worldwide jewish conspiracy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Subjunctive posted:

That is an enviable intellect there.
If J-Petes is trying to make the point that ideas and stories and images exist as abstract concepts which can often deeply inform people's perspectives, he's absolutely right, but you would think that a professional academic would have at least sat down to workshop a fifty-word summary of a big idea at some point.

e: like in the sense of deep-seated unquestioned cultural ideas, not, like, Persona dungeons

Nessus has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Jul 7, 2018

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, witches live in little cottages in the woods, not swamps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nessus posted:

If J-Petes is trying to make the point that ideas and stories and images exist as abstract concepts which can often deeply inform people's perspectives, he's absolutely right, but you would think that a professional academic would have at least sat down to workshop a fifty-word summary of a big idea at some point.

Youd think someone whose career is made up of explaining concepts to people wouldnt sound like he was 3 mickeys in while being interviewed in a context where he can freely pause.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Nessus posted:

e: like in the sense of deep-seated unquestioned cultural ideas, not, like, Persona dungeons

persona dungeons at least call people out on their bullshit

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Stand up straight with your shoulders back
Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
Make friends with people who want the best for you
Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
Tell the truth or, at least, don't lie
Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Most importantly, always wear sunscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

quote:

If I could offer you only one tip for the future,
Sunscreen would be it
The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists
whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ekuNNN posted:

Hey sometimes they live in Bubbles or castles.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ekuNNN posted:

What about that one witch with a house that walks around on giant chicken legs? You gotta live in a swamp if you have a house like that, right?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, Baba Yaga lives in the forest too

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Office Commando posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbZZyVyEHGo

this is (an infinitesimally small part of) why we hate him

he is telling people to "set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world" when his loving house looks like that man how is this hard for you to figure out

It's also remarkable what a bad faith question that is.

Yes we must hold the leadership of the USSR responsible for the Holodomor. You know, all those well-known Jewish leaders such as... Lenin. Secret Jew. Stalin? Secret Jew. Beria? Molotov? Oh you better believe thems some secret Jews.

loving :jerkbag:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ekuNNN posted:

Nah, Baba Yaga lives in the forest too

Well, in that case she really missed a trick. My respect for John Wick has plummeted.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat horror queefs posted:

You know, all those well-known Jewish leaders such as... Lenin. Secret Jew.

Well, his mom was Jewish before she converted. I assume that's enough for antisemites.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

From what I understood that guy was asking if THE JEWS could take over the world or something, but a refusal to even acknowledge that bullshit doesnt seem like an agreement to me

Someone comes into your house and right in front of you, while maintaining eye contact, they take a huge poo poo on your floor, and then they ask you what you think about that. Do you say "I'm not going to answer that" or something more along the lines of "what the gently caress is wrong with you, you're not welcome here, get the gently caress out" :thunk:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

ekuNNN posted:

Well, his mom was Jewish before she converted. I assume that's enough for antisemites.

Yeah probably. I mean he had been dead for almost a decade by the time the Holodomor happened and Trotsky (the only actual Jew in the central committee) was deposed and exiled a few years before too but trifling details like facts are not JP's strong suit

e: or his fans', in this case

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

I still think hes a good guy, I dont understand the hard on the internet has to hate him, his message is mostly good and nothing out of the ordinary for self help

Here's a quick key to understanding the hate hard-on

1) He thinks women are a distraction to men in the workplace, and a net negative influence on productivity
2) He thinks increased racial diversity in various institutions is a negative phenomenon
3) He testified to defeat a trans rights bill on the grounds that someone would drag him to jail for not using the right pronouns
4) Climate change denial

Serious question do you just not acknowledge this stuff, or is his self help message amazing enough to make his message "mostly good."

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I dont think Petersons a Nazi but hes definitely enough of a scumbag grifter that he will take Nazi kickbacks. Basically, He doesn't support Nazis but he knows that because the Venn diagram circle of his supporters and Nazis looks like a target, he wont denounce them.
Because of this he might as well be a Nazi. Like, " Im not a nazi! I just sell them the guns and the ammo and the torches"

Just be like a regular person and be "hey if your a nazi or think other races or culture are less than your own, just stop coming to my things, your not welcome." But he already thinks women are less than men so its not a huge jump to believe he thinks the same of brown people.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hihohe posted:

But he already thinks women are less than men so its not a huge jump to believe he thinks the same of brown people.

This whole deal kinda brings up why intersectionality is a thing in terms understanding prejudice and civil rights, because there's hardly going to be a person who supports a social hierarchy (with christian white males on top of course, nothing personal privilege for them to gain out of this system of course) and all the brutal disenfranchisement needed to maintain the artificial system of it but who will then say "Yeah, but I support equal rights for other people who aren't exactly like me". Just doesn't happen. There was a news article that was about the women in the neonazi movement complaining that the male neonazis were being extremely sexist to them, and I'm like "no poo poo."

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Also the Canadian government had to step in and say, "No you're not correct about bill C-16, scooby plz"

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Update, July 6, 2018: One day after being exposed as a member of a violent white supremacist group, Michael Miselis (with arms raised) has lost his job as an aerospace engineer. In an email, company spokesman Tim Paynter told ProPublica and FRONTLINE that Miselis is no longer an employee of Northrop Grumman.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/major-defense-contractor-to-investigate-violent-white-supremacist-on-its-staff#utm_source=Partner

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Northrop definitely wouldnt want to employ a violent war enabling fascist.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Northrop definitely wouldnt want to be known to employ a violent war enabling fascist.

Appearances is everything in politics, more than actuality. NG would hire every fascist if it increased production and profit threefold, but they can't be seen doing it.

Hell, half the reason the military budget is so big is because nobody wants to get the flashlight and the helmet and go budget spelunking to find out who's buying what and for how much.

Also, they're not in the business of using weapons, just selling them impartially. Any bias on that front would give clients reason to turn away.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Comfy Fleece Sweater is a gimmick account, ignore them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Are you sure, because there's no shortage of unironic alt righters and Jorp fans here in GBS.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MoreLikeTen posted:

Here's a quick key to understanding the hate hard-on

1) He thinks women are a distraction to men in the workplace, and a net negative influence on productivity
2) He thinks increased racial diversity in various institutions is a negative phenomenon
3) He testified to defeat a trans rights bill on the grounds that someone would drag him to jail for not using the right pronouns
4) Climate change denial

Serious question do you just not acknowledge this stuff, or is his self help message amazing enough to make his message "mostly good."

Got any links to check out for these accusations?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comfy Fleece Sweater has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Jul 12, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Already heard of the first, totally unsurprised at the second, the third is the punch line lol.

Verisimilidude posted:

He also says a lot of dumb poo poo about women

Like there are valid reasons to think hes a dingus

I've noticed his apologists around here are very quick to distance and play down any accusations of racism, but when the sexism comes up they just kinda shrug and go "meh".

Grape has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Jul 7, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Here's a video, please watch the whole thing so you have the correct context
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7NbRFyg3Y

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Jordan Peterson is not even subtle about being a Nazi at this point so I don't understand why his fans try to maintain the charade

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He is on the record as being a misogynist, transphobe, racist, and basically every kind of poo poo a person can be. Like, Google it

xtal has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Jul 7, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

CheesyDog posted:

Here's a video, please watch the whole thing so you have the correct context
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7NbRFyg3Y

:munch:

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Yeah, plenty. Tried to use the good professor's own words where possible

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LedAxZkjQc0
2) https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1006981616176992256
3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson#Bill_C-16
4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfZZLSWbY3g&t=310s

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

He doesn't refuse to acknowledge it, he refuses to answer it. There's a massive difference between "I can't say the words you want me to say, [e: and furthermore will not say why in public]" and "I refuse to acknowledge that question because it is founded entirely on lies, and anyone who believes otherwise is a zealot who is not welcome in my lecture hall. Get out." And that difference is thus:

Being famous is more important to him than being right. And as an academic that is one of the worst sins you can possibly accomplish.

Somfin has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

I still think hes a good guy, I dont understand the hard on the internet has to hate him, his message is mostly good and nothing out of the ordinary for self help

Tell the truth or, at least, don't lie

To say Peterson himself has any interest in following these rules is laughable on its face.
e:especially that last one drat, avoiding that is like his whole shtick