Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't know what is pissing me off more this Blooper or the airship mast.

The Blooper is the game giving you a competent opponent, but it would be nice if it was on a more neutral stage. I don't understand how my shots keep richocetting out of bounds off of the mast, but the squid can richocet off it no problem. Also his curve shot makes me mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Blooper is the game giving you a competent opponent, but it would be nice if it was on a more neutral stage. I don't understand how my shots keep richocetting out of bounds off of the mast, but the squid can richocet off it no problem. Also his curve shot makes me mad.

Fair warning; blooper is the easier opponent on the ship. You have to rally with Kamek later and it’s a loving challenge, to say the least.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

santanotreal posted:

Fair warning; blooper is the easier opponent on the ship. You have to rally with Kamek later and it’s a loving challenge, to say the least.

Fuuuucckkk, at the very least I can feel myself getting better playing against Blooper. Just getting a better feel to play and my timing with Zone Shots have gotten better. It's just half the time he scores against me it feels like it's not my fault because I richocet out of bounds off of the mast.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I had one of the most ridiculous matchs as Toadette v Chain Chomp. The moment I shattered his last racket the game froze and there was a communication error. I'm assuming that's a rage quit. Hopefully that Switch didn't get destroyed! :ohdear:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I had one of the most ridiculous matchs as Toadette v Chain Chomp. The moment I shattered his last racket the game froze and there was a communication error. I'm assuming that's a rage quit. Hopefully that Switch didn't get destroyed! :ohdear:

I'm impressed you manage to play Toadette! Both the mushroom's height really works against them, but at least Toad is faster.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fuuuucckkk, at the very least I can feel myself getting better playing against Blooper. Just getting a better feel to play and my timing with Zone Shots have gotten better. It's just half the time he scores against me it feels like it's not my fault because I richocet out of bounds off of the mast.

Special Shots are the bailout, use em whenever you see something wonky with the post

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whoever designed and okayed trick shots should never be involved in the creation of another game mechanic for as long as they live.

Trick shots are going to be my breaking point that makes me never play this game again. :(\

Also the music that plays while matchmaking would not be out of place in Pokemon.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Whoever designed and okayed trick shots should never be involved in the creation of another game mechanic for as long as they live.

Trick shots are going to be my breaking point that makes me never play this game again. :(\

Also the music that plays while matchmaking would not be out of place in Pokemon.

You should really play Simple Mode. It's a tight arcadey tennis game with none of the bullshit attached.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You should really play Simple Mode. It's a tight arcadey tennis game with none of the bullshit attached.

I like the meter bullshit though :(. If trick shots were decoupled from the meter, or cost meter to use regardless of their timing, I'd be much more okay with trick shots.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fair enough. Maybe try joining them if you can't beat them? Trick shot your way to victory? I'm pretty sure the cheapness of the ability is a feature and not a bug. The developer imagined people flipping around the field returning balls before swatting them with ridiculous specials, it definitely makes sense given the visual appeal of the move.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fair enough. Maybe try joining them if you can't beat them? Trick shot your way to victory? I'm pretty sure the cheapness of the ability is a feature and not a bug. The developer imagined people flipping around the field returning balls before swatting them with ridiculous specials, it definitely makes sense given the visual appeal of the move.

I do and I'm real bad at it, but I don't know why. I press my right stick in a direction and I typically travel in a direction 90 deg to the direction I intended to go. I also have a lot of trouble with drop shots not triggering. I cannot make AB feel natural so I use down + x. Very often I never swing, as in the command doesn't register. Other times it turns into a lob. I up and down are not in the same ball park. If I didn't have other games to compare to I'd say my controllers are broken.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I have a similar issue with Drop Shots, but for me it's when I try and use the A+B command, holding Up or Down, both will result in a Lob, no matter when I hold the stick or anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I have a similar issue with Drop Shots, but for me it's when I try and use the A+B command, holding Up or Down, both will result in a Lob, no matter when I hold the stick or anything.

A then B is lob, B then A is drop.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m sticking with simple online until they balance poo poo. It just gets frustrating and unfun as I make my way to championships in standard with all the Bowser Jrs.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Managed to feel accomplished today

https://twitter.com/saboyland/status/1015754764481523714

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm impressed you manage to play Toadette! Both the mushroom's height really works against them, but at least Toad is faster.

Toadette is secretly really good. She has the blue shots of a tricky character, the speed of yoshi, the angles of hell and really and I mean really is good at catching people off guard. No one expects her to return so well. I would argue she is an all rounder in disguise.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Standard mode with trick shots turned off is basically the perfect t Mario Tennis game.

Also the patch notes says there is character balancing but I see no such thing.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 8, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Without Trick Shots it's pretty much the GBA game with the special moves. Those were fun to use and collect.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've also noticed against certain opponents that the 5 bar connection will suddenly drop to 1 bar if they start losing, is there some sort of exploit with the switch to quickly cut and reconnect the internet? There was a Bowser I faced who had no super meter but every time I hit the ball the game froze showing him the direction of my ball, its almost as if he switched apps rapidly or something.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Anidav posted:

I've also noticed against certain opponents that the 5 bar connection will suddenly drop to 1 bar if they start losing, is there some sort of exploit with the switch to quickly cut and reconnect the internet? There was a Bowser I faced who had no super meter but every time I hit the ball the game froze showing him the direction of my ball, its almost as if he switched apps rapidly or something.

I notice this to and I'm not convinced if it's a legit thing that people are doing our if it's me noticing network hiccups only when they do not work in my favor.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Anidav posted:

Toadette is secretly really good. She has the blue shots of a tricky character, the speed of yoshi, the angles of hell and really and I mean really is good at catching people off guard. No one expects her to return so well. I would argue she is an all rounder in disguise.

But Toadette doesn't have the speed of Yoshi? Not by a long shot? Also, her trick shots kind of suck, which, if you're playing standard, is a factor in how good a character is.

Also, her having next to no reach is really bad.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah, Toadette is objectively worse than most characters. Doesn’t mean a good player won’t do well with her, but her stats still make her worse.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anidav posted:

Standard mode with trick shots turned off is basically the perfect t Mario Tennis game.

Also the patch notes says there is character balancing but I see no such thing.

The patch notes say character balancing is coming later. It hasn’t been implemented yet

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ZeButler posted:

But Toadette doesn't have the speed of Yoshi? Not by a long shot? Also, her trick shots kind of suck, which, if you're playing standard, is a factor in how good a character is.

Also, her having next to no reach is really bad.

I dunno I've been having not much trouble with her.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Welp, finally beat all three COM tournaments with all the available characters.

it doesnt do anything

...yet?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Welp, finally beat all three COM tournaments with all the available characters.

it doesnt do anything

...yet?

Why would you take the time to do this?!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You get a star next to your name like in Mario Kart

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

santanotreal posted:

Why would you take the time to do this?!

sufferrrrrr

I work a midnight job with no supervision, but a strict NAT. I can use ethernet to play online but I keep forgetting my adapter.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anidav posted:

You get a star next to your name like in Mario Kart

Really?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I read it online and I've seen people with stars next to thier name on free play.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm not seeing it on my name, but I'll check when I get home and have better internet

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I am really starting to believe there is some sort of exploit to make the switch drop bars. The game just grinds to one bar suddenly when some people are losing, I tried to see if I could find it but it isn't anything in docks which makes me think people are walking away from their wifi in order to lag the game and predict shots easier. I mean I beat them sometimes but I really do believe some people are intentionally dropping bars on their switch when they are losing. I noticed you can do screenshot capture and record online so I wonder if you spam the share button in handheld mode it might stall the switch to a halt by hitting the screenshot button repeatedly or something. I ran into the same guy repeatedly and the game would free when I hit the ball and unfreeze when they hit the ball and it definetely looked like he was tampering with the connection somehow if it be by stalling the Switch OS or walking away from their wifi and back again.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Anidav posted:

I am really starting to believe there is some sort of exploit to make the switch drop bars. The game just grinds to one bar suddenly when some people are losing, I tried to see if I could find it but it isn't anything in docks which makes me think people are walking away from their wifi in order to lag the game and predict shots easier. I mean I beat them sometimes but I really do believe some people are intentionally dropping bars on their switch when they are losing. I noticed you can do screenshot capture and record online so I wonder if you spam the share button in handheld mode it might stall the switch to a halt by hitting the screenshot button repeatedly or something. I ran into the same guy repeatedly and the game would free when I hit the ball and unfreeze when they hit the ball and it definetely looked like he was tampering with the connection somehow if it be by stalling the Switch OS or walking away from their wifi and back again.

elaborate rube goldberg machine that drops a sheet of aluminum foil over the docked switch when you pull a string.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Yeah, this is brutal. I'm totally stuck here as well. I wonder if doing Kamek is even worth it. In any event, if anyone has any pointers, that'd be great :yaycloud:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, this is brutal. I'm totally stuck here as well. I wonder if doing Kamek is even worth it. In any event, if anyone has any pointers, that'd be great :yaycloud:

Against Kamek, I hit the ball down the line instead of cross court, and then would slide my character towards center court. This made it so they would consistently hit it down the line back at me, negating the mast from loving you up. Also save all energy for emergency power shots.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah use flat shots down the line when you're on the outside and slices when you're closer to the center and that should avoid you hitting the post

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

eightysixed posted:

Beat him on my third try. It's really simple if you use BACK trick shots. Essentially when he hits the ball when it lands in your court just hit the right stick back, even when it's deflected you'll zone in out it automatically. Don't use trick shots if the Ball has no color streak, because it won't bounce back far at all, but then it should be easy enough to hit. I'd be careful with certain star points as well, but you'll figure it out fast enough.

Seriously trick shot back and you'll be hitting pretty much everything and you'll learn what you won't be able to hit, which you can easily hit otherwise.

Trick shots are broken as gently caress. It doesn't even matter where you attempt to return it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I could never picture myself using trick shots on that level but I guess the ultimate joycon-smashing frustration of doing a lateral trick shot instead of a back when you're three shots away from beating the level would be enough to improve one's trick shot usage overall

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I honestly can't laterally trick shot to save my life, but back trick shotting is super easy and it builds meter like nobodies business. If I ever missed it was because I trick shotted for a hit that went short, which is why if it hasn't got a streak just hit it. Even if it's diverted it's moving slow enough to catch with zone speed in the worst case scenario.

Also, play simple mode a bit and learn positioning, it's really useful and you'll find you're never too far away from the ball when necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
To piggy-back off of your woes I CANNOT block a power shot to save my life. Over half my losses are because of broken rackets :suicide: