Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Spoiler: Anthem is a secret Mass Effect sequel following from the Synthesis ending if you find a series of well-hidden codex entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I just so tired of all these mass effects

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

Spoiler: Anthem is a secret Mass Effect sequel following from the Synthesis ending if you find a series of well-hidden codex entries.

I doubt that. Pretty sure Mac Walters was busy jerking off about synthesis in ME: Andromeda's script while they would've been planning Anthem.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hard counter posted:

Apparently in a recent interview Casey Hudson has implied that there will be more Mass Effects in Bioware's future.

It's not over yet boyos.

"If you let Anthem kill us, you'll be killing these future babies!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is time for the mass effects, to end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt that. Pretty sure Mac Walters was busy jerking off about synthesis in ME: Andromeda's script while they would've been planning Anthem.

It was a joke.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just think that it's amazing how they keep touting "the game world can change at any time, and we'll keep adding new content" when all they're willing to show less than a year from release is a single over-directed gameplay demo of a small dungeon.

Cythereal posted:

It was a joke.

I know, mine was too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

Casey Hudson, being fried by Advent Lightning: "I can save the one you love! You must choose!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW8_OJn9oeE

so they released the demo. its umm a thing.

its destiny but with even less personality and with rocket packs.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So Destiny 2. :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

widespread posted:

So Destiny 2. :v:

true. i never finished that one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Hmm. the flying looks kind of fun

although that's in warframe isn't it

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mass effect game will be dlcs for anthem and will be the last thing that game will get before EA shut down the entire company

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hmm. the flying looks kind of fun

although that's in warframe isn't it

I honestly want it to be good because my childhood and teen years loved bioware. but gently caress me it just looks so generic and cobbled together.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Marketing budget must be a doozy because I saw a bunch of fluff pieces about Anthem.

TheCenturion posted:

Let’s have a ME where you’re the guy trying to destroy the galaxy.

They could almost get me with a prequel where you play as either Saren or Anderson...

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I should also mention that Hudson was much more forthcoming re: information about the next Dragon Age so I think that one's far enough along that it's definitely coming one way or another even if Anthem bombs.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

hard counter posted:

I should also mention that Hudson was much more forthcoming re: information about the next Dragon Age so I think that one's far enough along that it's definitely coming one way or another even if Anthem bombs.

I was under the impression that everything was functionally on hold while Anthem finishes, and assumed that if Anthem bombed that was the end of everything.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NeurosisHead posted:

I was under the impression that everything was functionally on hold while Anthem finishes, and assumed that if Anthem bombed that was the end of everything.

There's also been some indications that the work was heavily rebooted or revised when Andromeda bombed.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Some details are definitely on hold since they're waiting on some key staff that'll be transferred from the Anthem team after that's finished up but a small team has been plugging away at DA4 for a few years now, apparently getting the crux of the core work done in that time. I suspect that in the worst case scenario where Anthem utterly bombs tho the team will get gutted to a bare minimum that enough work has been done to justify finishing it.

That's certainly not desirable tho since that'll mean another DA title completed under a tight budget as Bioware sharts out one last title in its death throes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hard counter posted:

Some details are definitely on hold since they're waiting on some key staff that'll be transferred from the Anthem team after that's finished up but a small team has been plugging away at DA4 for a few years now, apparently getting the crux of the core work done in that time. I suspect that in the worst case scenario where Anthem utterly bombs tho the team will get gutted to a bare minimum that enough work has been done to justify finishing it.

That's certainly not desirable tho since that'll mean another DA title completed under a tight budget as Bioware sharts out one last title in its death throes.

i think the problem with anthem is its a game no one wants. the world feels ripped from a JRPG mixed with some destiny. I feel like the world exploration will be shallow as gently caress(think ME:A but worse) with ME: A shooting. at least destiny has funnish gameplay. doesn't help with the numbers flashing up. If i hear genuinely good things after release, i'll give it a shot but so far, it looks meh at best.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The me too strategy always works, especially when you're copying a game with low player numbers and a poor reception. That way the market isn't saturated.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Christ, anthem looks like some bland, tasteless gamer food

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I cant wait for bioware to die, they've been utter garbage for years. Dragon age was never good, mass effect was always trash and that's why Andromeda was the best one cuz at least the gameplay was halfway decent. No one will miss them. Bethesda next please

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I cant wait for bioware to die, they've been utter garbage for years. Dragon age was never good, mass effect was always trash and that's why Andromeda was the best one cuz at least the gameplay was halfway decent. No one will miss them. Bethesda next please

bethesda will never die as long as they make moddable garbage games that can put boobs on a mudcrab.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 7, 2018

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dragón age origins was good. Whatever the gently caress they did to that franchise wasnt

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If bioware wants us to like the game they got a lot of work to do. The Bioware Austin office has managed to keep SW:TOR alive for 7 years and actually turn it around from failure after the endgame (literally only huttball) was hilariously panned at launch, but I don't know what the edmonton office has done that's been good lately.

The quote from Casey Hudson about the weather changing how everything is on the planet seems pretty over-promise under-deliver like a classic Peter Molyneux moment.

They also need to release actual compelling poo poo about the game, the 19 minute powerpoint slide like "gameplay trailer" was garbage. I want to see a non-scripted demo level, even if it's not lengthy, I want to see the randomness that they're praising at work.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 8, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

With unlimited flight you could do lots of interesting emergent stuff in this kind of game with swarms that intercept you midair or 200-ft. tall bosses that you fly around to fight but it looks like all the traversal is just getting to a checkpoint where the same cannon fodder bugs line up to get annihilated by your rocket launcher.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, this is Bioware. They're only going to get and keep Bioware's traditional fanbase if there's a decent story to this nonsense and they've been very tight-lipped about that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume its a battle royale game now?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Greater Rifts and diablo loot or gtfo imo for anthem

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cythereal posted:

Also, this is Bioware. They're only going to get and keep Bioware's traditional fanbase if there's a decent story to this nonsense and they've been very tight-lipped about that.

Lol bioware fans don't give a poo poo about story, they want weird gross romances to jerk it to

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

orange juche posted:

If bioware wants us to like the game they got a lot of work to do. The Bioware Austin office has managed to keep SW:TOR alive for 7 years and actually turn it around from failure after the endgame (literally only huttball) was hilariously panned at launch, but I don't know what the edmonton office has done that's been good lately.

The quote from Casey Hudson about the weather changing how everything is on the planet seems pretty over-promise under-deliver like a classic Peter Molyneux moment.

They also need to release actual compelling poo poo about the game, the 19 minute powerpoint slide like "gameplay trailer" was garbage. I want to see a non-scripted demo level, even if it's not lengthy, I want to see the randomness that they're praising at work.

honestly the thing that bugs me is all is bioware isn't loved for the gameplay. its loved for their world building and story and good characters. they have fuckton of issues in those departments but at least they are memorable. instead they are tossing that for some generic JRPG poo poo with meh andromada but meh gameplay.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

You all know Bioware's not the one actually making the decisions, yes? Bioware these days is just a hand puppet on the end of one of EA's slimy black tentacles.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This is incredibly superficial of me but I hate that the game is called Anthem because every time I see it that lovely lovely Good Charlotte song gets stuck in my head.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desJKYvdq9A

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heh, lucky for me there was a five second ad and I was able to close the app before the song started playing. :smugdog:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DrNutt posted:

This is incredibly superficial of me but I hate that the game is called Anthem because every time I see it that lovely lovely Good Charlotte song gets stuck in my head.

Pretty soon we'll all be singing this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6opYkdM15fI

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

But Sarah Ryder found the books and is gonna do more Mass Effects even though Commander Shepard told her not to, unless the next director decides to trash that plot. I know how this works.

DrNutt posted:

You gotta stop listening to bad bands and/or allowing their music to be played around you. True, people might start to mockingly call you an old, but the trade off is no more lovely music.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I feel like I'm on crazy pills when anyone calls TLJ "subversive" when everything about it just cynically and pointlessly resets the entire setup to rebels vs. empire unto eternity, because that's the only story Star Wars knows how to tell. Don't you idiots understand, NOTHING has changed! NOTHING has been accomplished in this movie's 5 1/2 hour runtime! Wake up sheeple!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like I'm on crazy pills when anyone calls TLJ "subversive" when everything about it just cynically and pointlessly resets the entire setup to rebels vs. empire unto eternity, because that's the only story Star Wars knows how to tell. Don't you idiots understand, NOTHING has changed! NOTHING has been accomplished in this movie's 5 1/2 hour runtime! Wake up sheeple!!

Don't worry. You're sane.

You can tell from the increasing desperation of people trying to explain how GOOD and SUBVERSIVE and RELEVANT it was, and the increasing number of people going "...Was that it?"

It's just hard to admit something you loved is broken.

Not that it's at all on topic in this, the thread for the healthy and viable franchise "Mass Effect", which is doing great forever.