Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Ever tried a game you actually enjoy playing?

*that isn't any form of gambling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Ever tried a game you actually enjoy playing?

*that isn't any form of gambling

I play farming simulator 2017 a lot. There's no gambling in that, although I am always pretty far in fake-debt because I keep accidentally driving my tractors into lakes trying to take shortcuts to sell my stuff.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Aramek posted:

Lounge singer covers of rap songs, however, do own.

Sure, but lounge singer covers of nu metal also owns

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
-We are completely alone in the universe and believing otherwise is wishful thinking,similar to believing in God and angels and the afterlife. Also we're never going to invent space travel or colonize the universe because the distances are too vast. Also we're running out of resources and the climate will gently caress up our civilization. We'll be reduced to pre-industrial, pre-literate, hunter-gatherer level of society by 2100, and we'll never, ever build our way back up.

-Its okay to punch terfs. I dont care about optics or anything. Its okay for a physically larger and stronger trans woman to beat up a smaller, weaker, frailer cis terf.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I would argue it takes more faith in religion to believe we are "alone in the universe" than to believe otherwise. We might be functionally alone in the sense that we'll never contact each other, but it's tremendously naive to think that our particular planet is special in any way.

And in 2100 we'll be perfectly fine. People have been predicting that the world would degenerate in the next century for centuries and it has never happened. It will just be more of the same, just with more advanced technology.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Lowtax should give you a medal I lost count how many others avatar moneys someone spent with you by now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

And in 2100 we'll be perfectly fine. People have been predicting that the world would degenerate in the next century for centuries and it has never happened. It will just be more of the same, just with more advanced technology.

You do realize the world now is not the same at all as it was in the past? I really can't tell if you are being ironic with your last few postings, well done.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Jul 7, 2018

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

doverhog posted:

You do realize the world now is not the same at all as it was in the past? I really can't tell if you are being ironic with your last few postings, well done.

"Yeah and these drat kids being raised with no morals will be the downfall of us all." said literally everyone in history

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Look at the post I am responding to, implying we are going to revert to hunter gatherers within the next 80 years. It's absurd. We will be much closer to being the same as we are now, maybe with superpowers swapped around, than we will be to wandering around gathering berries to feed our children.

e: also thank you to whoever bought me back the cat. You are a true hero.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jul 7, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

"Yeah and these drat kids being raised with no morals will be the downfall of us all." said literally everyone in history

The youth always were more full of life and gently caress than their elders, who resented that fact. That is not new.

I mean things like climate change, the internet, etc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah we’re not going to be mad max hunter gatherers in 2100 but we absolutely are facing a unique challenge with issues like climate change.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think our biggest challenge is cultural cohesiveness and I don't know hoooow the fuuuck

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I would argue it takes more faith in religion to believe we are "alone in the universe" than to believe otherwise. We might be functionally alone in the sense that we'll never contact each other, but it's tremendously naive to think that our particular planet is special in any way.

Yeah it's way more likely that we're not alone but alien life is too, you know, alien for us to ever communicate with easily.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Or just too far away, or just bacteria, or they killed themselves shortly after developing nukes or retroviral engineering.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah it's way more likely that we're not alone but alien life is too, you know, alien for us to ever communicate with easily.

I think it's practically a certainty that life exists elsewhere, but the odds of primordial life (i.e. bacteria, single cell organisms etc) existing is so much higher than intelligent life at our level . That doesn't mean civilizations equal or greater to ours don't exist, but contacting them is even more unlikely.

that doesn't mean we shouldn't try though. People who argue that we should abandon research of space and space travel are short-sighted passionless and frankly sad people. Progress isn't made without people that keep trying despite people telling t hem it will never work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I think it's practically a certainty that life exists elsewhere, but the odds of primordial life (i.e. bacteria, single cell organisms etc) existing is so much higher than intelligent life at our level . That doesn't mean civilizations equal or greater to ours don't exist, but contacting them is even more unlikely.

that doesn't mean we shouldn't try though. People who argue that we should abandon research of space and space travel are short-sighted passionless and frankly sad people. Progress isn't made without people that keep trying despite people telling t hem it will never work.

Really, we should go to space because it's there. We're human. We do poo poo like that.

Why do people climb Everest? "Because it's there."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really, we should go to space because it's there. We're human. We do poo poo like that.

Why do people climb Everest? "Because it's there."

Exactly. People always say "well think of how many people you can feed with the budget of a space shuttle launch", but you're barking up the wrong tree. Like let's say we hypothetically divert a third of NASA's budget to humanitarian aid. It would help a bit while basically devastating NASA. Do the same with the military, and there would be a crazy level of benefit to the people while our overall military goals would be basically untouched. But yet people always cry when they see the space program do their job and say "think of the children". The space program is not the bad guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’d rather be an undersea bubble citizen than a space colonist.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Exactly. People always say "well think of how many people you can feed with the budget of a space shuttle launch", but you're barking up the wrong tree. Like let's say we hypothetically divert a third of NASA's budget to humanitarian aid. It would help a bit while basically devastating NASA. Do the same with the military, and there would be a crazy level of benefit to the people while our overall military goals would be basically untouched. But yet people always cry when they see the space program do their job and say "think of the children". The space program is not the bad guy.

Capitalism is the bad guy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If you go to a gas station or other small place and basically try and break a hundred dollar bill (either flat out, or try the 'buy a candy bar and pay with a hundred' trick), you're a horrible monster.

(I wouldn't think this to be unpopular, but evidently it is because it happens at my side job every goddamned day I work. Fuckers, no. Stop it.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Splatoon 2 is the best online shooter

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’d rather be an undersea bubble citizen than a space colonist.

I agree, rapture was awesome.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Capitalism is the bad guy.

The space program is pretty much universally reviled no matter what your economic or political views are. Whenever people look for government waste they always focus on the sciences, because if it's not killing our enemies or (to a much lesser degree) feeding our citizens, it surely can't be important, right?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Why do people climb Everest?

Marketing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

sassassin posted:

Marketing.

If it were just another mountain, sure, but it being the tallest mountain is all the marketing it needs. It's apparently not even a fun or particularly challenging climb, the only selling point is there is no mountain with a higher peak. It just happens to be by coincidence a climb most people can do with fairly low risk. If K2 were the tallest mountain then maybe more people would ask "why would you climb it" because there is more to it than just "it's the biggest thing". With everest though dying isn't in most people's mind, it's just "i'm going to do it and tell everyone i did it".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"The tallest mountain" appeals to climbers (but not serious ones who know there are better and more difficult climbs).

Climbing Everest has been marketed as a major, significant life accomplishment worth bragging about for decades. Its appeal reaches far, far beyond those who would ordinarily be interested in climbing a thing.

All those people who die up there every year have been killed by capitalism, not natural human instinct alone.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There is certainly a marketing aspect but serious climbers would still climb it. Plenty of serious climbers seek out the seven summits achievement because climbing the tallest mountain on each continent feels like a big accomplishment even if most of them aren't technically difficult. Even K2 is only famous because it is the "most deadly". Nobody would care to climb some random peak even if it was difficult unless there was something interesting about it. I don't see why you think capitalism has anything to do with it. Even a communist mountain climber would see the appeal in climbing the world's tallest mountain. It seems nonsensical to bring up economics.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
For serious climbers it's one of those things that you're just obligated to do, kind of like a residency for a doctor.

For everyone else, it's a means to be king poo poo at the next cocktail/dinner party

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MizPiz posted:

For serious climbers it's one of those things that you're just obligated to do, kind of like a residency for a doctor.

For everyone else, it's a means to be king poo poo at the next cocktail/dinner party

I think most people nowadays would just shrug and say big deal unless you had some harrowing near-death tale to tell. K2 is clearly the new hotness if you want to prove you have both balls and money. Most people would ask "what is k2 why didn't you climb everest" but just link the death statistics and most people will probably be more impressed.

If I ever have the time and money I'd go for Kilimanjaro. It's not a hard climb, but it's long and still challenging enough to have a story to tell where the only danger is altitude sickness instead of the mountain actively trying to kill you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m the soviet union and/or an early modern monarchy, both famously small spenders on military matters and known to never attempt power projection outside their own borders.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

I think our biggest challenge is cultural cohesiveness and I don't know hoooow to fuuuck

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In this era of reboots and remakes, the franchise that most desperately needs a big budget reboot or remake is the early 2000s mecha anime Vandread

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m the soviet union and/or an early modern monarchy, both famously small spenders on military matters and known to never attempt power projection outside their own borders.

Yeah, instead the soviet union kept oppressing their own people and covering up any wrongdoings by pinning it on a "traitor", or claiming it was an accident

better opinion: There needs to be an alternate history movie where michael moore won the 2016 election, and how he would do nothing but documentaries painting himself in a bad light

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Pick posted:

I think our biggest challenge is cultural cohesiveness and I don't know hoooow the fuuuck

It's a problem sure but when WW3 starts due to climate change cultural cohesiveness is not gonna seem like such big deal really.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The space program is pretty much universally reviled no matter what your economic or political views are. Whenever people look for government waste they always focus on the sciences, because if it's not killing our enemies or (to a much lesser degree) feeding our citizens, it surely can't be important, right?

The space program is bad and should be ended. NASA should be dismantled. We got problems on earth that need fixing, not wasting money and time on larping star trek.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

The space program is bad and should be ended. NASA should be dismantled. We got problems on earth that need fixing, not wasting money and time on larping star trek.

Please list any one major humanitarian problem that would be completely solved by applying NASA's meager budget to it. You are barking up the wrong tree, they don't have poo poo relative to other government organization budgets, which makes what they have accomplished even more impressive.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
NASA's budget is about 20B / year. You could eliminate homelessness in America for that kind of money, but like a lot of problems the issue is with political ideology and not available resources.

Personally Held Unpopular Opinion: Winter Soldier is the worst of the Captain America movies.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Jul 9, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I bet we could fix seven goons a year with 20B.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

NASA's budget is about 20B / year. You could eliminate homelessness in America for that kind of money, but like a lot of problems the issue is with political ideology and not available resources.

Personally Held Unpopular Opinion: Winter Soldier is the worst of the Captain America movies.

You have to factor in that it's the government running it. If 100% of the money were used on providing housing and only that purpose, it might work. But they would spend half of it circlejerking on how exactly to go about doing it in the cheapest way possible, a third would be siphoned off as administrative/overhead costs, and the rest would maybe help a fraction of the people who are homeless.

Or more likely, they would spend it all on ad campaigns convincing us that homelessness isn't a problem.

The point is you could get that 20 billion from any number of government agency (i'm looking at you, the military) without totally dismantling it. 20 billion from the military wouldn't hurt it at all. They probably wouldn't even notice.

The bottom line is that humanity has been interested in space for thousands of years. The government should provide funding for it (and other sciences), because advancing scientific knowledge is an important part of advancing civilization. To say we have gained nothing from the space program and it's a total waste like blue star would have you believe is closed-minded, ignorant and just plain wrong.

e: also the budget of the department of HUD is 32 billion. If 20 billion could solve homelessness, why haven't they been able to do it with 32?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Jul 9, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E:too much

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

e: also the budget of the department of HUD is 32 billion. If 20 billion could solve homelessness, why haven't they been able to do it with 32?

The 20B figure came from HUD (admittedly a few years old now). They spent 1.9B /year on it at the time.

I totally agree about taking the money from elsewhere though.