Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

It worked ok, even at 750, but I was outside and had it on a grill so it would have been containable.
glad you're ok, though you'd probably have a grill fit for Dali if you'd tried to contain it.

Here's a PDF detailing smoke/flash points of various oils, and also what it looks like when oil's about to ignite(pg 18)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The BGE is OK to 800F I think, though I might have to replace the seals. That link will save me some danger, thanks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

a foolish pianist posted:

Sear the short ribs in butter, remove them, toss in some shallots and thyme. When they're fragrant, pour in some wine or stock or both, scrape up the fond, reduce a bit, taste, add salt and pepper, turn the heat off and stir in a knob of butter, maybe a bit of mustard if the emulsion is looking a little titchy. Serve the short ribs over mashed potatoes or pureed turnips, with the sauce poured over, and since it's summer, maybe some cold tomatoes and cucumbers with salt, chili flakes, garlic, and some balsamic vinegar on the side. Just go nuts.

I often times see the phrase "cook until fragrant." What does that mean here? Does that mean the shallots are browned/sauted?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Knifegrab posted:

I often times see the phrase "cook until fragrant." What does that mean here? Does that mean the shallots are browned/sauted?

Pretty much - basically cook on medium heat until whatever you're cooking smells delicious. Use your nose!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Cooking a pork butt for the 4th and checked it this morning. This is the 1st failure of a zip lock I've ever had. The zip mechanism completely pulled away from the bag. Meaning it stayed locked together but the backing to the zip lock part pulled away from the wall of the bag. Oh well, re-bag and hope for the best. I'm sure it will still be fine. Extra moist right guys...*nervous laughter*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’d eat it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've built a stirfry setup that if I let it go for a few minutes on the preheat will actually get my wok glowing cherry red and instantly auto-ignite sesame oil I put in the pan. Finally. Wok Hei.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

had some sous vide rack of lamb yesterday with forums user Jan to celebrate 'murrica day

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Made my short rib meal. Trip report. drat the meat was good, it came out really tender with a good sear. Not perfect but drat near good.

Homemade mashed potatoes need some work, I gotta get better at that. And unfortunately I am garbage at sauces still. I could not for the life of me figure out exactly how many shallots to use, and the first attempt I burned them which left a terrible acrid taste.

The second attempt was better but I still don't know if I cooked it long enough or if I used enough. I threw in some red wine and some broth and reduced but I didn't reduce enough and it ended up too watery.

Overall I just need to practice cooking way way more.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Knifegrab posted:

The second attempt was better but I still don't know if I cooked it long enough or if I used enough. I threw in some red wine and some broth and reduced but I didn't reduce enough and it ended up too watery.

If all else fail, cornstarch slurry will thicken up sauces very nicely.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do ATK's mashed potatoes and never gently caress them up again.

Adapt as desired: use red or Yukon gold potatoes, peel or don't, make them chunky or smooth (use a lot less half-and-half for chunky), substitute regular milk, substitute compound butter, throw in a head of roasted garlic, whatever your taste is.

The key elements it gets right are the proportions and the order (always do butter before milk).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finely-grated horseradish, please.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Local supermarket has some nicely priced quality chicken cuts, thought I'd try. Done at 65C/149F for 2 hours or so.

Bags out of the vizzle and into a sink filled with cold water, chilled to room-ish temp. Debagged and patted dry:

(the thighs were hickory marinated)

Once the baked potatoes were done, they got blasted under the broiler:

Turned out quite nice and the broiler blast reheated the center to palatable temps without cooking the center any more. Great taste, very juicy. I'm going to let them fry even more next time, and align them with the broiler elements more carefully, the skin isn't quite crispy enough. Will also try higher temp, like 70C, more of the connective tissue needs to break down.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a hosed up mashed potato even like?

You can throw just about anything in there if it came from a tit to get the consistency you like.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I've had a lot of gluey, starchy, overwhipped, nasty as hell mashed potatoes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Didn’t have a cafeteria in school I guess!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The easiest way to gently caress up mashed potatoes is too cook them at a full boil for too long. The starches in the outer edges of the potatoes will burst and turn into paste by the time the centers are done. Follow that by overbeating the spuds, and you've got glue, not food.

Just making sure your potatoes are 1) cut into even pieces and 2) cooked at a simmer, not a boil will get you 99% of the way there. A splash of vinegar or some other acid in the cooking water will give you a little extra margin for error.

Or sous vide your potatoes, I guess, although in my experience it doesn't really change the results much. Might be a more appropriate route if you want the silky, pomme puree style rather than classical fluffy mashed.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I think 'slurry' is a good word to describe it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Didn’t have a cafeteria in school I guess!
My parents never gave me money for the cafeteria when I was young and we made Redskin mashed at college... I'm thankfully ignorant.

I forgot about overwhipping the starches.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anne Whateley posted:

Do ATK's mashed potatoes and never gently caress them up again.
Somebody hates retrograded starches.

Tendales posted:

Just making sure your potatoes are 1) cut into even pieces and 2) cooked at a simmer, not a boil will get you 99% of the way there. A splash of vinegar or some other acid in the cooking water will give you a little extra margin for error.
The galaxy brain modernist approach is to pressure cook, cool, then reheat.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm gonna do a large, thick, irregularly shaped chuck for 48 hours at 133F, any reasons why this might be a bad idea?

I heard 133 might not be enough to break down the connective tissue, but any higher and it would probably be overdone. I previously tried a small chuck at 129 for 24 hours and indeed, it was still a bit tough.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I came, I saw, I camped in style.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Feenix posted:

I came, I saw, I camped in style.

Haha, that's genius. Shower before steak dinner?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ola posted:

Haha, that's genius. Shower before steak dinner?

Before? Same time!

Jk.

Yeah we car camped at a really nice spot in the San Juan islands with 4 families (8 kids) and I had a shower stall set up and water on demand.
Yes you can just boil water, but this was nice to just turn on and keep it at temp.

Also the Anova recommends 5 Gallons max and the Home Depot buckets are exactly that. It was transcendent.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've come to the realization that for large roasts (prime rib, leg of lamb, etc), the reverse sear reigns supreme.

With the exception of the deep fried SV Turkey Porchetta, the outside/crust develops much better from the dry air heat vs the bag, even if you spend a bunch of time drying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t understand. Don’t you have to dry it off before searing in a reverse sear?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you reverse sear in an oven, by the time you take it out of the oven to sear it, there's absolutely nothing you could dry off it. The heat from the oven has already evaporated the surface moisture.

SubG posted:

Somebody hates retrograded starches.
I'm never not gonna eat Robuchon potatoes if someone gives them to me, but they're not what I'd make for myself!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

If you reverse sear in an oven, by the time you take it out of the oven to sear it, there's absolutely nothing you could dry off it. The heat from the oven has already evaporated the surface moisture.

Oh, so bag, oven, sear. Interesting — in the oven just long enough to dry out the surface?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, so bag, oven, sear. Interesting — in the oven just long enough to dry out the surface?

Reverse searing doesn't involve the bag. It's just low oven to temp, then sear.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

reverse searing is cooking the meat to temp, then finishing in an obscenely hot oven to color the outside
doesn't really matter if the first step is sous vide or not.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’d mostly heard it applied to searing after SV instead of before, I think. Good to know I’ve been using it incorrectly!

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I'd mostly heard it applied to searing after SV instead of before, I think. Good to know I’ve been using it incorrectly!
They are likely talking about this: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/step-by-step-food-lab-reverse-sear-prime-rib.html

I did a prime rib last new year's eve this way and it was heavenly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I’ve done roasts that way for years, I just didn’t know it as “reverse searing”.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Guys, I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. Took my cast iron out to the gas grill and got her ripping hot. One of the best sears I've done. Anywho, these were some massive 2" thick Ribeye that I picked up for 5.70/lb and the picture is half of 1 Ribeye. I didn't even finish my portion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can’t believe how cheap meat is in the US. I lived there for 5 years and I still can’t believe it. I would expect to pay $20/lb for ribeye up here. $5.20USD barely gets me BSCB.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I pay around $18/lb for good ribeye in California.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

sterster posted:

Guys, I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. Took my cast iron out to the gas grill and got her ripping hot. One of the best sears I've done. Anywho, these were some massive 2" thick Ribeye that I picked up for 5.70/lb and the picture is half of 1 Ribeye. I didn't even finish my portion.

I got a cheap rear end cast iron pan from amazon and only sear outside now, gently caress the mess inside.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

My chefman showed up and I tried to cook my first meal and no matter what I do it keeps throwing a low water alarm when the water is very much between the two lines.
:sigh:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Chemmy posted:

I pay around $18/lb for good ribeye in California.

Choice is typically about $10/lb here for ribeye (Washington state, Costco). At holidays I've gotten rib roasts for $5/lb with the bone. Needless to say I stock up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It was nice to enjoy the 4th and not fuss with a grill. Pulled pork finished on a kettle grill and I also decided last second to do some burgers with my anova. Pretty awesome how easily that is for batch cooking for 20 people.

I meant to post this when I first saw it
http://reddit.com/r/sousvide/comments/8vcikz/four_ny_strip_steaks_for_dinner_tonight_i_love_my/

Dude isn't trolling and people were defending his cooking at 154 degrees