Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

So, Pixel 2, 1+ years of OS updates and 2+ years of security patches left, right?

How does the kinda blue one look in person?

My wife has one, it's a pale blue. I think the pictures on the web don't do it justice, it's not that gray, but coming from Really Blue it's disappointingly bland. Still better than black or white though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

It's not like we were falling prey to major exploits left and right before monthly updates became a thing.

This is wrong.

I mean, even nowadays, a couple or a few times a year a major exploit is patched out by a security update.

In Play-store-having countries we're often insulated from the effects of exploits because Google does some amount of automated filtering at the level of the play store. But it seems pretty naive to just hope in that protecting you.

In non-play-store countries (or countries where alternative app stores are more common) millions of Android phones are out there already compromised by a third party because of an exploit that is not present on phones with monthly security updates.

I mean, sure, you can hope that when Exploit 2398 comes out the year after your phones security updates stop that Google or Samsung goes back and patches your device. But they're not going to do that for every exploit. You're basically gambling that whatever exploit falls above some arbitrary line of importance so that someone somewhere decides its important enough to go back and do something about it.

BTW, there are plenty of drive-by web exploits out there in the world right now that are not fixable by the browser itself. They require the involvement of the OS to mitigate.

Of course, I'm not a fan of the idea that security updates are the One True Measure of which device to get. There's some balance between updates, price, availability, features, and the type of usage you're going to be doing that makes a phone with a year of security updates (or even no security updates) a worthy purchase. The only way to find that balance is to have the knowledge and be honest with yourself about what exact trade-offs you're making.

Unfortunately, things like security updates are too easy to undervalue the importance of because their day-to-day benefits are not directly user-facing, are based on probabilities, are often a cost right now for just the possibility of a future payoff. Human beings are just too vulnerable to hyperbolic discounting.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

This is wrong.

I mean, even nowadays, a couple or a few times a year a major exploit is patched out by a security update.

In Play-store-having countries we're often insulated from the effects of exploits because Google does some amount of automated filtering at the level of the play store. But it seems pretty naive to just hope in that protecting you.

In non-play-store countries (or countries where alternative app stores are more common) millions of Android phones are out there already compromised by a third party because of an exploit that is not present on phones with monthly security updates.

I mean, sure, you can hope that when Exploit 2398 comes out the year after your phones security updates stop that Google or Samsung goes back and patches your device. But they're not going to do that for every exploit. You're basically gambling that whatever exploit falls above some arbitrary line of importance so that someone somewhere decides its important enough to go back and do something about it.

BTW, there are plenty of drive-by web exploits out there in the world right now that are not fixable by the browser itself. They require the involvement of the OS to mitigate.

Of course, I'm not a fan of the idea that security updates are the One True Measure of which device to get. There's some balance between updates, price, availability, features, and the type of usage you're going to be doing that makes a phone with a year of security updates (or even no security updates) a worthy purchase. The only way to find that balance is to have the knowledge and be honest with yourself about what exact trade-offs you're making.

Unfortunately, things like security updates are too easy to undervalue the importance of because their day-to-day benefits are not directly user-facing, are based on probabilities, are often a cost right now for just the possibility of a future payoff. Human beings are just too vulnerable to hyperbolic discounting.

Of course, like I said it's not the best attitude to have. But this is in the context of someone buying a Pixel 1 in July 2018. Ideally you'd get security updates for 5 years like an iPhone but that's not the case for Android owners.
I worded it poorly but I guess I'm trying to dismiss the idea that your phone is an enormous security liability the moment security updates stop and must be replaced immediately.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

My wife has one, it's a pale blue. I think the pictures on the web don't do it justice, it's not that gray, but coming from Really Blue it's disappointingly bland. Still better than black or white though.

Yeah, was looking Kinda Gray in photos, but I ordered it anyway.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Uthor posted:

So, Pixel 2, 1+ years of OS updates and 2+ years of security patches left, right?

How does the kinda blue one look in person?

Pixel 2 is getting a total of 3 years of OS and security patches. Google made them the same for the 2.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705 has the cutoff dates for pixel 1 & 2.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How long are Android one devices supposed to get patches for ? I got an x4 off Google fi with a friend and moved it to my Verizon account so I'm banking entirely on Android one doing the updates since fi won't and I bet Verizon won't either

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

My 5x is having constant/intermittent, if that makes any sense, gps problems where it says I'm a block away, turns off and doesn't update for 30 seconds, then says I'm a block in the opposite direction now. I'd soldier on if I could just get it to work again.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

It was a great idea whoever recommended I factory reset for Oreo/S7.

Good poo poo.

Anyway, how do I get the temperature back on my status bar via Accuweather...

e: Just went full retard and paid for NOAA... Gotta stop posting (got temp in status bar)

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 7, 2018

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So my Nexus 6P is starting to shut off whenever it does anything slightly taxing at <60% battery (such as an alarm going off), dropping down to 1% and requiring a charge before it's usable again. Which means it's time to start looking for a replacement.

I've been trying to hold out for the pixel 3 launch, but I'm thinking I might have to pull the trigger on a new phone sooner rather than later. Is the Pixel 2 still the go to for someone who prefers to as close to stock Android as possible or does anyone have any other recommendations?

I would not say no to a model that has a decent camera in it.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 7, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Is there a way to force horizonal (NOT lock in vertical) in Android?

I have a weird issue where my movies are playing in vertical orientation on my nexus... (aka huge black bars on top and bottom)

If I click the lock icon it does nothing.

I went to view videos horiontal like god intended :mad:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Caganer posted:

Is there a way to force horizonal (NOT lock in vertical) in Android?
What app? It's up to the app how this works.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Tunga posted:

What app? It's up to the app how this works.

i'm using vlc

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Why why why is google fi promising me a 90 dollar trade in on my 5x? Does it turn on? Is the screen cracked? cool 90 dollars. The camera is shattered though you don't have a checkbox for that?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

fzA455 posted:

It was a great idea whoever recommended I factory reset for Oreo/S7.

Good poo poo.

Anyway, how do I get the temperature back on my status bar via Accuweather...

e: Just went full retard and paid for NOAA... Gotta stop posting (got temp in status bar)

Not sure if this is sarcasm lol! Hope not. Did a factory reset help performance or battery problems at all?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

My 5x is having constant/intermittent, if that makes any sense, gps problems where it says I'm a block away, turns off and doesn't update for 30 seconds, then says I'm a block in the opposite direction now. I'd soldier on if I could just get it to work again.

I had this problem with an old phone; get this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

On the top left, go to the menu and choose "Manage A-GPS state" and then click "download".

I had to do that about once a month. But it fixed it. Hope it works for you, too!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 8, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Krinkle posted:

Why why why is google fi promising me a 90 dollar trade in on my 5x? Does it turn on? Is the screen cracked? cool 90 dollars. The camera is shattered though you don't have a checkbox for that?

poo poo, I should have signed back up for Fi when buying a Pixel. The Google store only offered like $30. (my camera glass is shattered, too!)

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So my Nexus 6P is starting to shut off whenever it does anything slightly taxing at <60% battery (such as an alarm going off), dropping down to 1% and requiring a charge before it's usable again. Which means it's time to start looking for a replacement.

I had a great experience with uBreakiFix replacing failing battery in my Nexus 6P.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Krinkle posted:

My mom got like $120 for her dead bricked 5X on Fi. Trade in page estimated like $90 which I assumed was gonna get downgraded or maybe zero but they actually paid more for some reason.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who else living on the edge in the no case club? Just carelessly tossed my Pixel 2 on to the bed and it landed on its side and cartwheeled off against the wall and to the floor... Still scratchless after I'm gonna say 4 months? When my luck runs out it's gonna be spectacular I'm sure

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Scratchless on the front but I lent out my phone and it was dropped directly onto one tiny pebble, shattering the glass that keeps dirt and stuff off the camera lens. It still works but there's like a weird black orb in every photo I take that seems to suck all the light into it lovecraftian style.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Not sure if this is sarcasm lol! Hope not. Did a factory reset help performance or battery problems at all?

Oh yeah. Sorry. Had my S7 clogged up parent-computer style. A reset was due either way. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I overall like the newer interface of Oreo and integration of the Google apps and whatnot. It ate more battery than usual today, but I have everything set to maximum-fucker right now. Generally, it seems like they made some decent, intuitive changes. I don't use the wiggle wobble and shaking and swiping biometric features so I can't comment there. Camera settings seem improved. Nice images.

But there's a lot of features and performance settings that can be adjusted, including battery saving mode and whatnot. Especially location related stuff.

The default location settings are a constant broadcast a la wilderness rescue survival transponder for example. And every app wants location access. Gotta comb through that. Just a lot of phoning home and bullshit going on. Gotta trim the excess.

Probably an awesome can of worms: I'm logged into my Google and all my poo poo is linked on the phone. There exists the option to create a Samsung account, however every Samsung service seems to need a different app, and is overall not well integrated. So much SmartKnox whatever. Am I missing something by not biometrically paying for my coffee?

Like, how much goddamn poo poo do I need to be logged into. And do I have the latest emojis now because it looks like I do and I like that.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 8, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's a weird issue: I got a new phone (Nokia 7 Plus, coming from the 5X) and I can't get voice unlock to work properly. Nothing else about voice recognition has issues but it just refuses to work when the phone is locked despite me toggling that option on and off very many times. Even stranger is that a couple of times I got it to work exactly once by deleting my voice model and retraining it... but only once per deletion, then it would refuse to work again. Very strange.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If the Pixel 3 has wireless charging I'm going to hope my Droid Turbo 2 lasts through October and splurge on a premium smartphone for once.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Doctor Butts posted:

If the Pixel 3 has wireless charging I'm going to hope my Droid Turbo 2 lasts through October and splurge on a premium smartphone for once.

I'm still on the original Droid Turbo Moto Maxx and debating whether I should hold out or settle for something with wireless charging right now. :negative:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Amppelix posted:

Here's a weird issue: I got a new phone (Nokia 7 Plus, coming from the 5X) and I can't get voice unlock to work properly. Nothing else about voice recognition has issues but it just refuses to work when the phone is locked despite me toggling that option on and off very many times. Even stranger is that a couple of times I got it to work exactly once by deleting my voice model and retraining it... but only once per deletion, then it would refuse to work again. Very strange.

Are the settings for Smart Lock blank? It might be a problem with Smart Lock.

Some combo of these steps fixes it for me:

Go to the Trust Agents and untrust Smart Lock. Reboot. Smart Lock now should have settings, if it does, go back to Trust Agents and re-trust Smart Lock. Then go into Smart Lock and set it up again.

Try rebooting after various steps if it's not working.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They aren't. Smart Lock looks completely normal.

Because the deleting of the voice model did something, I suspect it may have something to do with me transferring my stuff over from the previous phone, but it would be a bummer if the fix turned out to be to factory reset and not transfer.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

A BLU vivo xl3+ is $140 new on Amazone (Prime) and while the software and support may be junk, I'd probably roll the dice on one if I were just going to use it for a couple months before getting what I really want.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9Z51DH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jSJqBb56XAEF1

Not sure what the current state of BLU software exploits and/or spyware is though, if any.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

codo27 posted:

Who else living on the edge in the no case club? Just carelessly tossed my Pixel 2 on to the bed and it landed on its side and cartwheeled off against the wall and to the floor... Still scratchless after I'm gonna say 4 months? When my luck runs out it's gonna be spectacular I'm sure

Not taking any chances after my old phones screen developed so many micro scratches. Immediately got a Spigen case and a tech skin as quickly as I could.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, another thing about the 7 Plus: can I turn off things like the nokia tune startup sound and the "now charging" noise and I'm missing the option, or is that just part of the OS

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

With my Moro x pure dying and unlikely to make it to October I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pixel 2 xl with the new discount. Anyone have a promo code they can share?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Loveline posted:

With my Moro x pure dying and unlikely to make it to October I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pixel 2 xl with the new discount. Anyone have a promo code they can share?

Another option is to buy a cheap used (or even cheap new) device to hold you over. Someone up thread just posted a BLU phone for like $150. I seem to recall someone talking about Moto E's for $35 at Target or something like that...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Amazon Prime is having a sale on Anker stuff; should their USB-C fast-chargers be fine for my Moto X4 Android One edition, or should they be avoided because they're third-party?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Thanatosian posted:

Amazon Prime is having a sale on Anker stuff; should their USB-C fast-chargers be fine for my Moto X4 Android One edition, or should they be avoided because they're third-party?

I've had good luck with Anker stuff. They're top-tier among the third parties, IMHO.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How much is a used 6P worth these days? I put a new battery in it. Perfect condition otherwise.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Thanatosian posted:

I have an Anker bluetooth speaker that is excellent imo (for what it cost), so I think they're decent

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anker's so reputable that when they actually did have an issue with some USB-C cords being recalled for not meeting the spec we all mostly blamed the shitshow of the USB-C standard rather than Anker.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've had a couple Anker headphones and they were trash. Super thin wires, flimsiest micro usb door ever, and it stopped charging after a few weeks. Considering it costs like $17 I didn't bother returning it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I've had a couple Anker headphones and they were trash. Super thin wires, flimsiest micro usb door ever, and it stopped charging after a few weeks. Considering it costs like $17 I didn't bother returning it.

I'm surprised that $17 headphones were like that

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I know it's just another anecdote, but I bought a $20 pair of Anker Soundbud Slim Bluetooth headphones a year ago. I use them five days a week walking to work and in the gym, and they're doing great. Sure they're a bit flimsy, but I treat them like crap just tossing them into my bag.

I have no doubt there are many duds at that price range, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well gently caress, currently waiting for the Pixel 3 to be released, I guess around Oct 20

My current phone, Pixel 1 was beginning to overheat (garbage battery) so I shut it down and now it's not booting back up

What is the best Project Fi - compatible camera phone besides the Pixel 2 under $500. I am guessing G6 or X4....

I use the gently caress out of my camera, I am used to the quality of the Nexus/Pixel cameras and apparently can't wait out the battery until the Pixel 3 arrives but don't want to sacrifice camera quality too much.