Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dehry posted:

The numbers were pulled from a glitch involving achievements. Someone had to have gotten one to be counted.

Ah, the achievement numbers are much more reliable than the sales numbers, true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Selane posted:

Alright, I'm not posting on my phone any more so I'm gonna whine about PoE a bit more thoroughly here. Ultimately my problem with Pillars was that it felt super unfun and anti-player, like they were trying too hard to be a "hardcore roleplaying experience".

Mandatory permadeath, a lousy spellcasting system that's one step above vancian casting, arbitrary restrictions on resting, etc. I don't want to play any more games where I can "use up" my spells and spend the next dozen fights waving a wand around or shooting sparkles out of my fingers. Then you play OS2 and it's like "hi all our spells are literally free and you just need to wait a few turns before you can use them again. Feel free to use all your cool-rear end spells in every fight hf guys(ps the spells all look and sound way cooler also)".

And like people said the writing/lore were bad too. Divinity could occasionally be a little long-winded, but never in a pretentious, up its own rear end way like in Pillars.

The last problem was the RTWP thing, like people also mentioned. I didn't even know how bad it really sucked until Pillars. I remember thinking I wanted RTWP during the kickstarter because BG had it and that was good, so it must be a good system? Yeesh, learned my lesson there. It didn't help that it was unrewarding(iirc you didn't even get xp for fighting). So I just ended up avoiding fights as much as possible for the 5 or 6 hours I actually played it. Again, compare to OS2 where I would sometimes literally punch a city guard in the face for no reason because the combat was so fun that I wanted to be fighting all the time.

I know no one really cares about my opinion but man do I hate Pillars of Eternity and I'm glad we are complaining about it for a bit. It's a nice break from the eight page slapfight about whether or not ff13 is good or bad

Pillars 2 is a hell of a lot better

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Poe 2 blows Poe 1 out of the water and I say that as someone who liked Poe 2. It's kinda of a Shadowrun returns thing. mediocre first game but the sequel(s) :discourse:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

babypolis posted:

jesus pillars 2 was a huge flop compared to pillars 1 and OS 2. what the hell happened there

Original Sin 2 did a lot to rectify the major criticisms of the original game. It also focused a lot on four player co-op which is a big selling point in today's market. Dynamic co-op games work gain good traction on Twitch and YouTube.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WrightOfWay posted:

I always assumed it was an attempt to be more like Diablo, which was super popular and released around the same time as Baldurs Gate 1 started devolpment.

A lot of (not magic-heavy) combat in Baldur's Gate is perfectly fine in real time. If you're playing with friends the amount of pausing would be even less, if any. When BG1 came out I played it a ton with 3 others and usually when we paused it was an auto-pause for something like a party member suddenly dying or dropping to critical hp, and the pause just let them queue up a potion (if it wasn't on a hotkey) or for someone to target them for healing. In magic heavy fights, especially BG2 mage fights, the game was basically turn-based because you needed to micromanage your party unless you were just cheesing the poo poo out of a fight, like with projected(?) image allowing you to stick the image in a corner and give your mage uncounterable invisibility to everything. Or traps. Traps in any fight where you can setup beforehand (like all the tough poo poo in Watcher's Keep) meant you just placed a few (dozen) traps and then when the fight starts everything dies instantly. Especially to those level 20 traps.

I will say that D:OS's combat really shone in the freedom of how you could fight stuff. Especially when you (ab)use the teleport pyramid things. I'd haste myself and haul rear end why my brother would hit high-powered enemies at range then teleport to me when he was in danger, for example.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first Divinity game did actually have isometric real-time combat ala Diablo and a similarly desaturated color palette. It wasn't what I would call great but it was extremely a product of its time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm one of those people who played the first Sky for a couple of hours and then dropped the franchise entirely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Renoistic posted:

I'm one of those people who played the first Sky for a couple of hours and then dropped the franchise entirely.

i played all the way through trails in the sky 1 and got to the second game, and i played like four hours of that and the plot had yet to progress whatsoever after ditching you on a major cliffhanger at the end of the first game

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

quote:

Ys Origin N/A

:confused:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

i played all the way through trails in the sky 1 and got to the second game, and i played like four hours of that and the plot had yet to progress whatsoever after ditching you on a major cliffhanger at the end of the first game

the first few hours of that game are literally the main character reacting to the cliffhanger, and then working up the resolve to deal with, said cliffhanger

trails SC has some bloat but the intro isn't part of the problem; it's pretty necessary characterization

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm barely interested in the "main plot" of the trails series (the one involving an evil council reaching for some goal that surely won't be revealed until two hours before the end of the series). This is after playing all the translated games, mind you. I don't think it's anything too special. Now what i think is special is the extremely detailed and well written world and character building. If you're not in for that I don't know what you'd get out of the series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't love sky fc or sc but idk i'd say the pacing in sc is a lot stronger than the first game until you hit like, chapter 7. the tower dungeon marathon kinda sucks and walking across the world in chapter 8 is a neat idea saddled with a bad gimmick, everything else is fine

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean, the "evil council"/whatever is a pretty big part of said world building.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you want to finish a game's story in under 1 trillion words, Trails isn't for you

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i don't love sky fc or sc but idk i'd say the pacing in sc is a lot stronger than the first game until you hit like, chapter 7. the tower dungeon marathon kinda sucks and walking across the world in chapter 8 is a neat idea saddled with a bad gimmick, everything else is fine

The Jenis Royal Academy invasion sidequest is one of the best in the game but it's really the only thing of worth in the entire chapter, yeah. The other two quests are fine but feel like they belonged elsewhere in the game, and the main plot thread was busywork at best

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tae posted:

If you want to finish a game's story in under 1 trillion words, Trails isn't for you

idk i think trails 3rd is a pretty good story with less words than the game immediately before it

if the game wasn't placed as like an interquel that assumes you know a lot about the world i'd prob even recommend it as like a standalone game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

:hai:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I wasn't a fan of the "revisit a town from the first game, something strange happens, could this be the work of an enemy enforcer???" thing that repeated over and over for the first like five chapters of SC either

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SC Chapter 8's finale is one of the best parts of the series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the saddest thing to me about trails is that all of the stuff i love in the series comes like a while after the first two games so most people aren't ever going to get to it. even people just skipping over to cold steel are gonna be missing out on sky 3rd, so that kinda bums me out sometimes

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I loved SC but I do understand why people are down on the pacing of the game since every chapter seems very generic villain of the week and not all of the villains introduced have anything to do with the overarching plot in these chapters either. It does a pretty poor job of introducing that villainous organization truth be told; the Crossbell and Erebonia games (especially CS3) make them a hell of a lot more interesting and less of a unified generic bad guy organization.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CS3 just felt like SC again to me lol. Even reuses the same dumb excuse for it

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Trails in the Sky SC is a fantastic game, but after that game I basically never want to see Joshua again. Him not being completely terrible in Third didn't really do anything to change this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trails Sky 3rd is one of the most impressive overall JRPGs I've ever played. In terms of singular games it's up there as a top 5 for me, probably.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

The method they used to find out sales numbers involved looking at achievement numbers (since they had something like, 15 decimals or so, allowing for a lot of precision). However, neither Origins nor Oath in Felghana had achievements so no sales numbers. It's probably in the above 100/200K realm I'd wager, they were pretty early Steam releases (comparatively) and have been through a lot of sales.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remember a couple years ago they announced that origin had broken around like 200k

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah I think it's the only time Falcom made a direct comment on western sales numbers.

Also I'm totally wrong, they do have achievements. I'm not sure why I thought otherwise. There's likely something busted in their implementation given neither show up in the full games spreadsheet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Danakir posted:

People like me who kickstarted Pillars 1 and found the writing so offensively dry and boring that they quit in the first couple hours and never came back. Maybe Pillars 2's way better or maybe it's also an overwritten piece of poo poo with lots of incredibly dull and uninteresting 'lore', who knows? I feel like a lot of people got burned with Pillars 1 and never came back for the second go.
I kickstarted Pillars 1 and my conclusion after playing for several hours was "Wait... did I actually like Baldur's Gate?"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
imo pillars is way better than baldur's gate simply by nature of, you don't have any of those ridiculous lovely mage duels where the AI targets you from off screen. alternatively, the optimal strategy is in fact NOT, entering an area, getting enemies to start casting, zoning, resting, rinse, repeat until enemy mages are out of MP.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Once they eventually make Trails of Cold Steel Kai, they'll be rolling in so much money they won't know what to do with it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

imo pillars is way better than baldur's gate simply by nature of, you don't have any of those ridiculous lovely mage duels where the AI targets you from off screen. alternatively, the optimal strategy is in fact NOT, entering an area, getting enemies to start casting, zoning, resting, rinse, repeat until enemy mages are out of MP.

I love BG a lot still but it's absolutely bullshit to the maximum degree that they throw encounters with spells like Hold Person at you long before you have any way to deal with it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Actually being able to play the Trails games really made the sheen come off, huh.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nah, they own.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, it's not a Type-0 where it turned out people were getting worked up about an extremely forgettable game, just a marked shift in discourse from being some amazing intangible like with a lot of long untranslated games. Just within trails that rep shuffled pretty fast from Sky SC to Ao, for instance.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's funny how trails 3rd got that rep for a while, then like a week before it was coming out it suddenly became "well actually this game is an unnecessary waste of time" until people actually got to play it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That was a weirdly lasting rationalization back from when people thought SC was the last game we were ever gonna get.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Sometimes you distance yourself to spare yourself the pain.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I played the original PSP Type-0 and it was great imo. But mainly because it was an original portable FF on the go. I'd rank it as one of the best PSP rpgs.

Playing it on a home console misses the whole point.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I played the original PSP Type-0 and it was great imo. But mainly because it was an original portable FF on the go. I'd rank it as one of the best PSP rpgs.

Playing it on a home console misses the whole point.

so you're saying it needs a switch port?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

WaltherFeng posted:

I was all set to argue this with you before I started thinking about PSP-debuting/exclusive titles in general and realizing "Oh, gently caress, I guess when your competition is things like Third Birthday..."