Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Covok posted:

, they just no longer recognize fear and thus no longer feel shame or social pressure. So you can still be an effective cop and you would be immune to fear and be the most powerful Green Lantern.

This would make you more like irl cops and I don't think we want them to be more like irl cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From a couple of SDCC panel descriptions, I'm guessing Mark Russel's got a new mainline comic (there's a separate Vertigo panel, so it's not his upcoming Vert comic), and it's far enough away from Brave and The Bold that Liam Sharp is probably there for a new thing (or maybe he's just added to a JL art roster.)

11:15am
DC Nation
Rejoice, DC faithful! The DC Nation is back and better than ever! DC publisher Dan DiDio hosts this all-star gathering with Tom King (Batman, Mister Miracle), Joshua Williamson (Flash), Jimmy Palmiotti (Harley Quinn, The Jetsons), Amanda Conner (Harley Quinn, The Jetsons), and Mark Russell (The Flintstones, The Snagglepuss Chronicles)talking and teasing upcoming stories.
Friday July 20, 2018 11:15am – 12:15pm
Room 6DE

4:15pm
DC Justice League
Meet the talented minds behind DC’s “New Justice” movement as they share their inspirations behind your favorite DC superheroes. Scott Snyder, Adam Glass, Joshua Williamson, James Tynion IV, Bernard Chang, and Liam Sharp have a lot to share about your favorite characters and their fight for justice.
Friday July 20, 2018 4:15pm – 5:15pm
Room 6DE

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 7, 2018

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Madkal posted:

Villians United is pretty cool. You can read that. Ditto for Omac. Otherwise....meh. I don't hate Infinite crisis as much as others here but it is very much a meh story for me.

Day of Vengeance always gets over looked and that's a shame cause it's really good. Also Infinite Crisis is reeeeeeaaaall bad. Just go find and read Edited Crisis #4.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I guess I should have asked in here before I spent $75 on an omnibus so huge it's probably going to damage the floorboards in my apt if I drop it. I always thought it was meant to be a prime example of the quality of DC in the mid 00s, other examples of which I've read and liked a lot - 52, Morrison Batman, Johns GL, etc.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Don't listen to people if you're enjoying the experience. There was a time when Infinite Crisis was the hot thing around these parts before it was the hot thing to say that it wasn't the hot thing.

I personally still hold it up as one of the best-executed crossovers, even if a lot of it was hit-or-miss, and that that period of DC Comics was one of the most interesting times to be reading DC Comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So well executed that they published it with unfinished art!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Don't listen to people if you're enjoying the experience. There was a time when Infinite Crisis was the hot thing around these parts before it was the hot thing to say that it wasn't the hot thing.

I personally still hold it up as one of the best-executed crossovers, even if a lot of it was hit-or-miss, and that that period of DC Comics was one of the most interesting times to be reading DC Comics.

Not me, I always hated that poo poo and have continually poo poo posted about hating it since reality punch inception.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

So well executed that they published it with unfinished art!
Well what were they supposed to do? Delay...a comic...??

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like COIE and Final Crisis a bunch, but the events are never the best thing going.

Prove that wrong, King!

edit: If you haven't read Crisis on Infinite Earths already, do that. It's neat just seeing every hero up till 1985 or whatever all together, but the story does tie in in a major way.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 8, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jaime was the only good thing Infinite Crisis ever gave us.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dunbar posted:

I guess I should have asked in here before I spent $75 on an omnibus so huge it's probably going to damage the floorboards in my apt if I drop it. I always thought it was meant to be a prime example of the quality of DC in the mid 00s, other examples of which I've read and liked a lot - 52, Morrison Batman, Johns GL, etc.

If you like those works there is a good chance you will enjoy IC. I enjoy it and the event is one of the better events published in my opinion.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Just a reminder that the entire reason BSS exists is because Something Awful went basically head-over-heels bonkers for Identity Crisis.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Roth posted:

Whiny incel Superboy Prime was the only good thing Infinite Crisis ever gave us.

BrianWilly posted:

Just a reminder that the entire reason BSS exists is because Something Awful went basically head-over-heels bonkers for Identity Crisis.

If I recall it was because the majority of us absolutely hated it, and others were on the fence till around the time Deathstroke owned half the JL, and then the rest hopped off when the reveal of who the murderer was and reason behind it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like COIE and Final Crisis a bunch, but the events are never the best thing going.

Prove that wrong, King!

edit: If you haven't read Crisis on Infinite Earths already, do that. It's neat just seeing every hero up till 1985 or whatever all together, but the story does tie in in a major way.

COIE is great.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The best thing about Infinite Crisis is that it lead to 52. That alone makes the event worth it. It also lead to secret six but I might be alone in thinking that was a good thing

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

We had our own off site goon comic forum before BSS and I don’t remember it being a huge deal there at all. Very few of us around from that era though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wasn't the big deal a giant IC thread in GBS that people got sick of seeing?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wasn't the big deal a giant IC thread in GBS that people got sick of seeing?

This as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If any of you have archives and want to dive into what's probably a terrible thread full of bad takes and worse detective work, well here's the original BSS Identity Crisis thread. All 169 pages of it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1245781

(Also 2004 was a very different time on this forum, so piracy talk is probably going to be pretty rampant. And probably worse things.)

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 8, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

X-O posted:

If any of you have archives and want to dive into what's probably a terrible thread full of bad takes and worse detective work, well here's the original BSS Identity Crisis thread. All 169 pages of it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1245781

I only just click the link and all I can think is that this guy really likes Japanese female wrestlers. Also, I'm pretty sure that wrestler now actually wrestles for the WWE.

Also, I look forward to finding out how people responded to identity crisis when it came out. I remember trying to explain why I didn't like it to my friends and they were just like "what's wrong with Comics being mature and edgy? They should be!" They didn't read Comics, but they were total edgelords and I don't hang out with them anymore. I remember one of them freaked out about Miles Morales and the death of Peter Parker a lot when it happened until I explain to him the concept of the Ultimate Universe. I still think that guy might have been a little racist.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jiro posted:

If I recall it was because the majority of us absolutely hated it, and others were on the fence till around the time Deathstroke owned half the JL, and then the rest hopped off when the reveal of who the murderer was and reason behind it.

People hated it and avatars were bought with stupid guesses because we knew it would turn out bad, but we didn't know just HOW BAD it would be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EDIT: ^ Oh that's a hell of a coincidence to post this right after you posted.

A current forum regular sums it all up pretty well on page 160.

Codependent Poster posted:

Christ, that issue was even worse than the spoilers made it out to be.

Nominating "My stomach sinks down to my testicles" for line of the year.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha. Nice timing. Just like the timing Deathstroke had when he stuck his sword out and Flash ran right into it!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

People hated it and avatars were bought with stupid guesses because we knew it would turn out bad, but we didn't know just HOW BAD it would be.

Those avatars and guesses were some of the best things about that thread and had me keep coming back. Also that loving awful Rags Morales art.

Oh! And the SOCK PUPPET avatars were amazing.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 8, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Black Lightning is still a better guess than Jean Loring.

Also gently caress all y'all again for starting the avatar trend while I was at work that night.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jiro posted:

Those avatars and guesses were some of the best things about that thread and had me keep coming back. Also that loving awful Rags Morales art.

Oh! And the SOCK PUPPET avatars were amazing.

I guessed Kyle Rayner and now years later and Identity Crisis 2 is coming and I'm once again guessing Kyle is gonna get screwed by an event!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like the thing was we were only crazy for the first half, when all the PR about "the clues are right there in the issues you can figure it out" was taken in good faith.

poo poo, people were analyzing bootprints and comparing them to Bats mudstompers, and looking at costumes on the wall of a cover for Deep Issue Truths about the killer.

It wasn't until it was clear this was bull that it started to turn.

5-10 years from now we'll load up the instanced SA social network and review the Batwedding posts and say "See! We all knew it was poo poo before the reveal!" while ignoring how the double-date totally had us buying into it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So the NYT actually put up an article about their spoiler filled article revealing Batman 50. It's a weird read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/reader-center/when-a-spoiled-batman-comic-has-unintended-consequences.html

DC asked them to feature it in the Weddings section, after finding out it wouldn't actually happen the writer declined feeling that would be disingenuous so it turned into something else.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

See, I wish people were as bonkers about comics these days as they were about ID Crisis. That thread was a hundred plus pages of pure unadulterated goonery, but it was still...well, a hundred plus pages of pure unadulterated goonery. These days? Something like the Bat-wedding fails to happen and we get a couple people getting a little annoyed about it a little, I guess. A pale flicker compared to the glorious blaze that once roared through this world. (except for me 'cuz I was still lurking at the time :buddy:)

(And I'm not blaming anyone for it. If anything it has way more to do with the state of the industry and the diminishing returns exacerbated by years of DC dropping balls all over the place. But it's still unfortunate)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BrianWilly posted:

See, I wish people were as bonkers about comics these days as they were about ID Crisis. That thread was a hundred plus pages of pure unadulterated goonery, but it was still...well, a hundred plus pages of pure unadulterated goonery. These days? Something like the Bat-wedding fails to happen and we get a couple people getting a little annoyed about it a little, I guess. A pale flicker compared to the glorious blaze that once roared through this world. (except for me 'cuz I was still lurking at the time :buddy:)

(And I'm not blaming anyone for it. If anything it has way more to do with the state of the industry and the diminishing returns exacerbated by years of DC dropping balls all over the place. But it's still unfortunate)

Burn out. There's so much to be mad about it's hard to be mad.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

I care a lot about certain things but no one cares about what I care about around here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BrianWilly posted:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people just expect comic companies to be very mercenary nowadays. They were always mercenary, but a lot of us have seen a lot of the blatant bullshit first-hand now and just expect it instead of being shocked by it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Also consider that a lot fewer people are posting on this forum. Seriously bring some friends in or something.

And also super-lol if you didn't guess Jean Loring did the murder and she brought a flame thrower with her because why the gently caress not.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All the clues are there it was right in our faces! :O

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Covok posted:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people just expect comic companies to be very mercenary nowadays. They were always mercenary, but a lot of us have seen a lot of the blatant bullshit first-hand now and just expect it instead of being shocked by it.

Pretty much this and if being an abused fan of WWE has done anything for me is always expect the dumbest poo poo at the dumbest time. All the time. Like I'm pretty loving annoyed at the BatWedding not happening, but it's DC they can't not poo poo the bed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

All the clues are there it was right in our faces! :O

Monkeyspit posted:

My biggest problem is why did the burns on Sue point to Doctor Light. In the third book it's stated she did not die from the burns, that she was dead prior to the burns. Who cares. If he did burn her, it would not have been with a flamethrower and a flamethrower would have left some fuel residue someone would have picked up on in the preliminary search of the house Dr. Light would not. Worst plot point ever.

I don't see what the problem is. The heroes went after Light before the autopsy report. Ralph and the others assumed it was Light because of past history and because Light can burn people. Where are you getting this flamethrower thing from?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

bring some friends in or something.

What part of 'shameful secret' don't you get?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Wish the picture was high quality enough to clearly make out all the text. Looks fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

Also, I look forward to finding out how people responded to identity crisis when it came out. I remember trying to explain why I didn't like it to my friends and they were just like "what's wrong with Comics being mature and edgy? They should be!" They didn't read Comics, but they were total edgelords and I don't hang out with them anymore. I remember one of them freaked out about Miles Morales and the death of Peter Parker a lot when it happened until I explain to him the concept of the Ultimate Universe. I still think that guy might have been a little racist.

There was an article released between issues two and three entitled In defence of Sue Dibny's rape, which doesn't open for me but which you can probably access via Wayback Machine or something.

It's more recent but here's another article; the author of the first one shows up in the comments to agree with someone who argues that discomfiture over rape scenes in comics is because people are too uptight about sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I've always wondered if they weren't planning to kill Jimmy Olsen in Identity Crisis but were talked down before pulling the trigger. There was a lot of narrative focus on Superman's supporting cast that ends up going nowhere...