Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's pointless to try to bundle. The UPU cheap shipping only covers packages up to a certain size and weight, so if you're package is bigger than the limit the shipping costs jump. I've bought too many of an item from a shop and split it into two orders because shipping was cheaper that way. Buy 2 of this thing and shipping is free, buy 4 of the thing and there is a charge for shipping, unless you make 2 2-thing orders.

That seems real dumb, right? It's because the nearly-free shipping is exploiting a loophole that was never intended for commerce. It was intended so people in countries with low wages and low cost of living could use the mail service to communicate with people in affluent countries without needing to spend a weeks wages to send a letter. China has always been in the 3rd world postal pool with countries like Botswana so they got the super cheap postage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union#Current_Issues

Fascinating, thank you. That seems like info to add to the OP, maybe? Or as part of a "how to AE" section. Pick? I just thought, hey, it might not save them anything but it might be worth it from a sustainability standpoint...

norp posted:

I hope you luck out on this one.
What I've learnt from phone cases is that "genuine leather" means "PU leather" (i.e. polyurethane) unless they specify cow leather somewhere in the description.

Polyurethane would be okay, as long as it gives me a look other than "I'm wearing an obvious fitness tracker" at weddings or whatever. I guess I could skip a day, but my stats!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Betazoid posted:

I just thought, hey, it might not save them anything but it might be worth it from a sustainability standpoint...

I hate to break it to you, but this is the AliExpress Thread where people order useless stuff that contains all manners of toxic substances from China. A cardboard box is as sustainable as it gets. But you'll probably receive an abomination of black shrinkwrap packaging anyway.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Sustainability has NO place in ordering from AliExpress

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I need my stickers of butts flown via airmail to be completely sustainable.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Butts ethically sourced from bespoke rear end farms managed by fair trade booty farmers. No cellulite was harmed in the shaping of the idealized badonkadonk images on the stickers.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Horace posted:

Nothing says "archive for future generations" like a thermal printer.

Was going to post this, thermal paper has a less than 10 year life and may just turn all purple and black one day when it's hot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No poo poo, I just thought it would be appropriate for printing out SA posts.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Mocking Bird posted:

Sustainability has NO place in ordering from AliExpress

Two pages ago we had multiple people talking about buying single straws mailed from China in an effort to be sustainable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yippee cahier posted:

Two pages ago we had multiple people talking about buying single straws mailed from China in an effort to be sustainable.

Doesn't matter, really. All Western civilization will be wiped out by the crop diseases dumb-rear end goons introduced by importing loving seeds from Aliexpress. (I'm assuming all the people trying to hide durians in their shoes you see on Border Security: Australia's Front Line also post ITT.)

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
I ordered too much poo poo during the last couple of months:

A crappy fidget cube from Xiaomi

An edgy shirt.

Useful stuff:
Good pens
Scratching out watermelons has never been more satisfying.
This thing keeps your eggs spreading out in the pan
A collapsible funnel
A kitchen timer
A desk organizer
Tweezers
Digital callipers
A portable soldering iron and an insulation mat.
A multimeter.

My girlfriend loves this swamp cooler. These things apparently are the perfect breeding ground for mold, so I doubt it'll be here after summer if I can't find a replacement filter.

A
couple
of
neat
pins

IEMs and eartips

A kazoo

Translucent keycaps.

Some stickers

Nerd stuff:
A model of the Enterprise D
A wooden wristrest
Thumbs up!
A chill skeleton dude

From Gearbest:
A wireless keyboard that doesn't work with the Youtube app on my LG TV, which is what I wanted it for in the first place. Not the hardware's fault, though
A strong fan
Unscrew everything
Keeps those tiny screws from disappearing into screw-heaven
Makes late-night strolls to the bathroom easy on the eyes
A pen that's not worth buying

And some random electronics and keyswitches.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wow it's showing up as about 19€ to me. That's crazy expensive.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can find it for 13-16€ during sales. It's a pretty well-designed set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp0HlOpzvBw&t=79s

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Waiting on my new favorite t shirt to match the copy of Pringles the video game i got on ae a while ago

Denarius
Feb 25, 2013

How do you like the eartips? I have the same IEM's and I use these.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

Fun Shoe

Denarius posted:

How do you like the eartips? I have the same IEM's and I use these.

I've already bought them last year and was using them with some Brainwavz IEMs until I got the T2s. They are still the best-fitting and most comfortable pair of eartips I own.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

yippee cahier posted:

Couldn't they just buy a metal straw locally instead of blowing their carbon footprint to poo poo?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QwertySanchez posted:

Couldn't they just buy a metal straw locally instead of blowing their carbon footprint to poo poo?

Seriouspost: Yes. Buying Chinese-made stuff that has been shipped by the shitload in sea containers is all around better than having them shipped singly by air mail. But then you'd actually have to walk* to a shop and that's horrible.

*) Or drive if you're American or from the countryside.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
I just want a big wooden mug for my drunken Renaissance Festival stumbling around dressed like a princess.

Anyone bought one? My husband and I are alcoholic goony types.

500ML Natural Wood Beer Tea Cup Large Water Drink Coffee Milk Cup with Handle Home Drinkwares 11.2cm height
http://s.aliexpress.com/YbEBVfyu

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 6, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I got a wooden rice paddle and it is great

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

holy poo poo, ace ace ace

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wiha is a high quality premium brand, I have several of their other tools and work as a professional mechanic. The fit on their bits is superior to common brands and the alloys used are much harder.

I snap bought that set at that price.

EDIT: wait, that's not actually wiha. Glad I didn't hit submit on the order yet.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 6, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eSporks posted:

Wiha is a high quality premium brand, I have several of their other tools and work as a professional mechanic. The fit on their bits is superior to common brands and the alloys used are much harder.

I snap bought that set at that price.

EDIT: wait, that's not actually wiha. Glad I didn't hit submit on the order yet.

I'm glad you checked yourself before you wrecked yourself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
lol @ buying anything on aliexpress because you recognize the brand

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: Yes. Buying Chinese-made stuff that has been shipped by the shitload in sea containers is all around better than having them shipped singly by air mail. But then you'd actually have to walk* to a shop and that's horrible.

*) Or drive if you're American or from the countryside.

Why yes, let me, a poor, pay for the huge markups for the privilege of obtaining goods in-person (yes I'm aware that renting and keeping a place lit is costly).

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

there's an article on wapo saying straws are poo poo anyway, for health reasons, so don't buy them at all. ~galaxy brain~

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cosmic Web posted:

My girlfriend loves this swamp cooler. These things apparently are the perfect breeding ground for mold, so I doubt it'll be here after summer if I can't find a replacement filter.

90° angle? Anhydrous automatic shut off? Sign me the gently caress up!

Seriously though this is tempting, I sleep better with a humidifier running. A full review and pics of the filter would be appreciated.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Betazoid posted:

I just want a big wooden mug for my drunken Renaissance Festival stumbling around dressed like a princess.

Anyone bought one? My husband and I are alcoholic goony types.

500ML Natural Wood Beer Tea Cup Large Water Drink Coffee Milk Cup with Handle Home Drinkwares 11.2cm height
http://s.aliexpress.com/YbEBVfyu

This looks very cool, but I'm not sure about drinking anything from it. Who knows if/how the wood's been treated, etc.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The handle looks like a bit of a weak point.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crazy Achmed posted:

This looks very cool, but I'm not sure about drinking anything from it. Who knows if/how the wood's been treated, etc.

Don't be a baby. Or pregnant. As long as you're a healthy adult a little heavy metal probably won't kill you.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Gettin me a skeleton man and some zombie pizza holdin' pins yeah.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:thunk:

Cartoon Skull Candle Death Potion Brooch Star Skeleton Elf Enamel Pin Leather Coat Lapel Badge Halloween Kids ... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...2882135999.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

huhwhat posted:

Why yes, let me, a poor, pay for the huge markups for the privilege of obtaining goods in-person (yes I'm aware that renting and keeping a place lit is costly).

Uhh because shops buy bulk from Alibaba, not Aliexpress, they pay less than 10% of what you pay so even with a huge mark-up the price is about the same. Many "everyday" non-bootleg non-pirated non-illegal things I've looked at cost more on Aliexpress than local shops. (Aliexpress prices have noticeably been going up up up in the past year or so.)

e: I juest ordered these metal feet and tag holders for a project because I haven't been able to find anything similar here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NED...2575523965.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...2744958990.html

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 6, 2018

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mens-Womens-Tape-Stainless-Steel-Pendant-Necklace-Chain-022X/2017235008.html

These are kinda cute, got one in the post today and it looks better than the photos. You might want to swap the bead chain out for a proper chain though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

May 4th was apparently a wild time in my life

(i don't even like arizona)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was that your drunken halloween plan?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Killingyouguy! posted:

May 4th was apparently a wild time in my life

(i don't even like arizona)

I think someone actually linked a ridiculously cheap Arizona tea hoodie around that time to laugh at because who the gently caress needs that? Looks like you were drunk/stoned/suffering from insomnia and also thought it was hilarious.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...2860732643.html

Ah yes, I remember mpreg ironman, batman, superman, and captain america from the movies. Watching Captain America give birth to his third[?] vibranum shield was so touching.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
mpreg batman is the best poo poo ive ever seen thank you

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I've been trying to find some baseball style (ie, 3/4 sleeve) shirts on AliExpress. I'm not sure what to enter for search terms though. "Baseball" gives actual jersey and "3/4 sleeve" doesn't give many worthwhile results. Are they just not popular or is there another obvious name that I'm missing? Like I'm seeing boring stuff like this poo poo.

Anyway here's another shirt I found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That seems to be missing a core concept.