Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

So I set up my typical early mana farm and couldn't figure out why the mana spreader was hording mana and not putting it into the pool.

I looked up how mana spreaders work, apparently a redstone signal can turn them on and off ... oops. I don't know if you can see it but there's a wooden plate behind the spreader. The coal was landing and shutting off the spreader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a strange feature you almost never run into naturally, but I would probably go insane trying to figure out what was wrong.
That said, it's probably best to have your mana spreader directly next to your mana pool in a setup like that anyway, so it can have the maximum throughput of mana.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

It's a strange feature you almost never run into naturally, but I would probably go insane trying to figure out what was wrong.
That said, it's probably best to have your mana spreader directly next to your mana pool in a setup like that anyway, so it can have the maximum throughput of mana.

It had me for at least an hour until I finally figured it out. I had it working in single player but this was on a server. I finally noticed the position of the spreader.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My computer Blue-screened while I was playing Blightfall, and now my world won't load. When I try to play it it goes to the "Loading world" screen, then either goes back to the world select screen or the main menu. No error message. Is there a fix for this? If not, is there another cool mod pack available via the technic launcher someone could recommend?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Do 1.7.10 modpacks not keep autobackups?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Where should I look for them?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Base Blightfall does not. I had to insert a mod to do it on my local instance.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Be warned: the Vanilla Automation Block Placer in Exoria produces sounds in a completely different location (which is REALLY WEIRD) when it fails to place a block, and clicks when its inventory is empty. The OpenBlocks block placer makes a noise every time it gets a redstone signal. The Autoverse block placer doesn't work like you expect and places items in a line in front of it. The Actually Additions block placer is the only one that will sit there silently while waiting to place a block.

Edit: uh okay, I set up a canola farm with the plant grower/gatherer and the AA stuff, which effectively produces 80 RF/t from a single windmill. I figured it was time to see if I could run a void ore miner off of that, knowing it has some sort of cooldown period after producing ore. Except, now I seem to have filled up the void ore miner with RF... and there's no ore? It's not doing anything. I've got a chest on top of the controller block like I'm supposed to, why isn't it working?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 6, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Edit: uh okay, I set up a canola farm with the plant grower/gatherer and the AA stuff, which effectively produces 80 RF/t from a single windmill. I figured it was time to see if I could run a void ore miner off of that, knowing it has some sort of cooldown period after producing ore. Except, now I seem to have filled up the void ore miner with RF... and there's no ore? It's not doing anything. I've got a chest on top of the controller block like I'm supposed to, why isn't it working?

I think the chest goes onto the side, not the top. Also, is there a laser rendered?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think the chest goes onto the side, not the top. Also, is there a laser rendered?

The bottom of the laser needs clear view down to bedrock - then the laser effect will show up and it'll start working

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Ariong posted:

My computer Blue-screened while I was playing Blightfall, and now my world won't load. When I try to play it it goes to the "Loading world" screen, then either goes back to the world select screen or the main menu. No error message. Is there a fix for this? If not, is there another cool mod pack available via the technic launcher someone could recommend?

Log files under the Blightfall installation directory should hopefully have an exception or something that you can post here and maybe someone knows how to fix it. Technic stuff should be under "%APPDATA%\.technic" unless you changed the install directory.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

The bottom of the laser needs clear view down to bedrock - then the laser effect will show up and it'll start working

loving really? None of the guides said to do this, and that's especially irritating for Exoria since land is so high up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

VegasGoat posted:

Log files under the Blightfall installation directory should hopefully have an exception or something that you can post here and maybe someone knows how to fix it. Technic stuff should be under "%APPDATA%\.technic" unless you changed the install directory.

Okay, I got that. The full paste can be found here but this seems to be the pertinent section:

quote:

[17:31:59] [Client thread/ERROR]: Exception reading C:\Users\Bill Murray\AppData\Roaming\.technic\modpacks\blightfall\saves\domp\level.dat

Uh, the name of my computer's main user was "Bill Murray" when I got it. I am not Bill Murray.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nice try, Bill Murray

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved you in groundhogs day. You were proof ugly guys can be successful.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Ariong posted:

Okay, I got that. The full paste can be found here but this seems to be the pertinent section:

Definitely looks like a corrupt save. If you're lucky you might have windows backup enabled, check properties on your domp folder and see if there's anything on the previous versions tab. If so you could copy the level.dat from a backup. You might also be able to sort of recover by creating a new world and then copying everything except the level.dat file from the corrupt save into the new world.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

VegasGoat posted:

Definitely looks like a corrupt save. If you're lucky you might have windows backup enabled, check properties on your domp folder and see if there's anything on the previous versions tab. If so you could copy the level.dat from a backup.

drat. You're a genius. Thank you.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Huh, I didn't even realize Windows backed up everything in AppData automatically, good to know for the future I guess.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How do I get essentia form a warded jar into an AE network? I have an ME drive with essentia storage cells in it, and an essentia import bus connected to the system. Essentia tubes won't connect to the bus, and it won't accept essentia directly from jars.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 7, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm seriously considering powering my base on Numismatic Dynamos. I made one on a lark to burn off all the random gems that my void miner is pulling up, and a resonant lapidary calibrated numismatic dynamo is putting out 960 RF/t. That's better than an ignition plug compression dynamo, and even my two T1 void miners seem to be pulling in more gems than I can realistically burn with my power load.

Ariong posted:

How do I get essentia form a warded jar into an AE network? I have an ME drive with essentia storage cells in it, and an essentia import bus connected to the system. Essentia tubes won't connect to the bus, and it won't accept essentia directly from jars.

Are there essentia disks in your ME drive?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Whoops, turns out your network stops working if you have too many drives and cells in there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Whoops, turns out your network stops working if you have too many drives and cells in there.

That shouldn't be the case. Are you sure you didn't just run out of channels?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, that's what it was. Bigger cables were needed.

Now I have a real question, one which I don't think I'll solve seconds after making this post. How do you get essentia from an arcane alembic into an me network? essentia import busses won't take from them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Now I have a real question, one which I don't think I'll solve seconds after making this post. How do you get essentia from an arcane alembic into an me network? essentia import busses won't take from them.

Isn't there a widget in thaumic energistics that you can use with an alchemy golem? Failing that, use jars and pipes/golems as a go-between.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Essentia import busses definitely should connect to an alembic. If it's not check your connections.

(Screenshot shows three essentia import busses connected to alembics)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Black Pants posted:

Essentia import busses definitely should connect to an alembic. If it's not check your connections.

(Screenshot shows three essentia import busses connected to alembics)

The big wire is connected to my network, I've tested it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Do you have space in a disk in your network for the aspect?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Note: you need special storage cells for essentia.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Ariong posted:

Isn’t that an export bus? It’s been a while since I did any AE2 but the model on the bus looks different (small side is closer to the object, larger is toward cable) than the ones on the other screenshot. Or did they just change models in different versions?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do you have space in a disk in your network for the aspect?

Yup, tons.

EDIT:

BlondRobin posted:

Isn’t that an export bus? It’s been a while since I did any AE2 but the model on the bus looks different (small side is closer to the object, larger is toward cable) than the ones on the other screenshot. Or did they just change models in different versions?

Aw, drat it! That was it. Thanks!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

GOD. drat. IT.

Okay, so after adding four more input busses to the cable there, the whole system stops working. It seems that the system can handle no more than two input busses. At the point, it's at 8 out of 32 channels. When I connect a third input bus, the whole cable says "0 of 32 channels." I've tried spawning in a creative energy cell and replacing the power supply with that and it still doesn't work.

So, if I have enough channels, and I have enough power, why does the system shut down? It does still draw power in this state, it just doesn't function.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Ariong posted:

GOD. drat. IT.

Okay, so after adding four more input busses to the cable there, the whole system stops working. It seems that the system can handle no more than two input busses. At the point, it's at 8 out of 32 channels. When I connect a third input bus, the whole cable says "0 of 32 channels." I've tried spawning in a creative energy cell and replacing the power supply with that and it still doesn't work.

So, if I have enough channels, and I have enough power, why does the system shut down? It does still draw power in this state, it just doesn't function.

Do you have dense cable all the way to the controller? Also, even if you do, is there any other cable that connects from that dense cable that connects back to the controller? All AE2 channels need to be run in routes from object to controller, and the system that builds that route is... not the smartest.

...alternatively, do you have a controller on this network at all? AE2 networks can’t handle more than 8 devices without a controller, cable capacity be damned.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BlondRobin posted:

...alternatively, do you have a controller on this network at all? AE2 networks can’t handle more than 8 devices without a controller, cable capacity be damned.

Oh, okay! I hadn't heard of that before. I thought you just needed a drive/chest, an energy acceptor, and some sort of terminal. That worked. Thanks!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So, what did everyone else use for power generation in Exoria? I built an oil generator without realizing that a compression dynamo could use canola oil as well, which was a mistake since the oil generator costs like an entire stack of iron and can't be upgraded like the dynamo can. Also I forgot the accumulator exists when making that decision, whoops.

Seems like I need 200 rf/t to run a void miner?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

[quote="“McFrugal”" post="“485900612”"]
So, what did everyone else use for power generation in Exoria? I built an oil generator without realizing that a compression dynamo could use canola oil as well, which was a mistake since the oil generator costs like an entire stack of iron and can’t be upgraded like the dynamo can. Also I forgot the accumulator exists when making that decision, whoops.

[/quote]

I built one of those Immersive Tech steam engine and alternator combos someone mentioned earlier in the thread. It cost a fortune in steel but has the advantages of looking hella friggin’ sweet, and generating essentially infinity energy whenever it’s on from an investment of almost no fuel with a steam dynamo from Thermal Expansion.

It’s probably massive overkill, fwiw, but I build for looks anyway. Screw flat plains of devices, I want a terraced base with a massive, animated steam engine.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

So, what did everyone else use for power generation in Exoria? I built an oil generator without realizing that a compression dynamo could use canola oil as well, which was a mistake since the oil generator costs like an entire stack of iron and can't be upgraded like the dynamo can. Also I forgot the accumulator exists when making that decision, whoops.

Each one of these babies puts out 24,000 RF/t. You can run just short of five of them from a single thermal expansion steam dynamo with the first tier upgrade and the boiler augment installed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
AE2 pro-tip: Go into the config file and turn off cable limits. Never deal with that annoyance again.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rynoto posted:

AE2 pro-tip: Go into the config file and turn off cable limits. Never deal with that annoyance again.
Yep. The problem is that so many quests/packs rely on the controller existing and this option removes the block entirely.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rynoto posted:

Alternatively work with it over a couple of modpack iterations to get a sense of how it all works and then build compact and aesthetically pleasing. You don't start by banging out a perfect system the first time through.

Like this is like 7th or 8th time using AE2 systems that are using multiple sides of a controller. The paired interface/assembler things I cooked up from playing Blightfall a couple years ago. The crafting units (2x3x1 with four on each side) are a smaller reproduction from Project Ozone 2 about a year back. Then I threw in that many disk drives because I needed something to fill space.

You can't see the cables in the first shot because I hid them with covers. That tiny bit of neon you see in the middle is the ME controller. A single block is controlling everything you see in the first shot, a second floor of like four screens to interact with what's inside, and a decent amount of automation in the basement. Oh and one channel is connected to a subnetwork for what I really wanted to try this time around.

This is a massive (incomplete) storage facility using Deep Storage Units that will happily accept 2 billion of a single type of item each. A fully loaded subnetwork that's using another single block ME controller can handle ~190 DSUs. And that's before moving to another block type that combines 9 DSUs into a single block. This is why my disk drives are so empty.

Sometimes it's fun working within limitations. To each their own, though, I can understand not wanting to deal with the frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

BlondRobin posted:

I built one of those Immersive Tech steam engine and alternator combos someone mentioned earlier in the thread. It cost a fortune in steel but has the advantages of looking hella friggin’ sweet, and generating essentially infinity energy whenever it’s on from an investment of almost no fuel with a steam dynamo from Thermal Expansion.

It’s probably massive overkill, fwiw, but I build for looks anyway. Screw flat plains of devices, I want a terraced base with a massive, animated steam engine.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Each one of these babies puts out 24,000 RF/t. You can run just short of five of them from a single thermal expansion steam dynamo with the first tier upgrade and the boiler augment installed.

Ah, thanks, I'll start working towards the 200-odd steel I need for one of these bad boys. In the mean time I suppose I'll just putz along with my lovely generator setup.