Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah this show will make a good conclusion in a super robot wars someday, we'll always have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I regret watching this

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Endorph posted:

yeah this show will make a good conclusion in a super robot wars someday, we'll always have that

It will be profoundly beautiful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
E: ^^ gain

Looking fwd to the school au ova as predicted by the ending.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
but what about that giant hand tho

If they released all the minds that Virm had in the Virmatrix when they blew up that planet, and also Hiro and 02 flew back to Earth and reincarnated, does that mean that all the old adults that Virm uploaded are also going to reincarnate? If it works that way, it would solve the issue of, "but what body is that soul even flying back to".

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

wow that loving sucked, why did I start watching this halfway through.

a second series starring an out-of-water old rear end rich dude that got uploaded by VRIM and just came back into his body 300 years later could be funny though.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I want reincarnated Hir02 to get married and then have their happy lives destroyed by VRIM's third invasion. :unsmigghh:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Maxwell Adams posted:

but what about that giant hand tho

If they released all the minds that Virm had in the Virmatrix when they blew up that planet, and also Hiro and 02 flew back to Earth and reincarnated, does that mean that all the old adults that Virm uploaded are also going to reincarnate? If it works that way, it would solve the issue of, "but what body is that soul even flying back to".

The answer to all the reincarnation business is that it's some bullshit they pulled out of their asses because they didn't have the balls to just let Hiro and Zero Two die on their dumb solo suicide mission, so they decided to ape Gunbuster's welcome home extremely badly, but couldn't figure out how to do it without rewriting the final battle so they just handwaved some poo poo about reincarnation being a thing at the last moment so they could have a ~deep~ and ~meaningful~ scene with New Hiro and New Zero Two reconnecting, proving that ~true love~ is indomitable.

Basically it's one final one shot thing that is substanceless and doesn't connect to the rest of the setting at all, so it's not worth pondering.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 8, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

anyway this show got like half a dozen transphobes banned so its good

It's a definite silver lining.

Oh well. I didnt hate this show, but it kinda fell apart in the second half like I felt Kill La Kill did as well. Ikuno's ending was something, but it would have been nice to have her romance be a bit more blunt and less subtle. Also, boy oh boy were the last two episodes' action sequences.............bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sincx posted:

You might want to tell that to Trigger.

To be more specific, Trigger only did the animation. No major Trigger staff was involved in the actual writing and direction for this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

To be more specific, Trigger only did the animation. No major Trigger staff was involved in the actual writing and direction for this.

Trigger had staff writing and directing a few episodes in the first half. They also were heavily involved in preproduction, if I remember right.

...Which helps explain the problems. It's Trigger's habits of overindulgence without their talent in the execution that sometimes lets things pull through anyway. Like trying to learn to play basketball by watching Curry's three point game. Some people can make the impossible work, and someone else trying to copy the same trick... can't.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
AX revealing extremely important lore:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Trigger had staff writing and directing a few episodes in the first half. They also were heavily involved in preproduction, if I remember right.

...Which helps explain the problems. It's Trigger's habits of overindulgence without their talent in the execution that sometimes lets things pull through anyway. Like trying to learn to play basketball by watching Curry's three point game. Some people can make the impossible work, and someone else trying to copy the same trick... can't.

They had one relatively minor Trigger guy write the script for Episode 3 (under the supervision of Hayashi and Nishigori). Other than that, the main arrangement was that A-1 staff did the writing, while Trigger staff did the visuals (especially the action scenes). If the end product feels vaguely like a Trigger show in writing terms, that’s because of shared ancestry rather than direct involvement. Nishigori is a former Gainax animator who worked on most of their most famous shows, while Hayashi is a giant Gainax fsnboy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im just happy they didnt do an ff7 and go "you know what would be a good alternative to soul power plants? coal :D"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

drat well better get paired with Diebuster. Diebuster Nono and Apus 02 can be buddies.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, I only just now finished this thing, and hooo boy. N-thing the impressions so far.

This show sucks.

It was pretty cool until the halfway mark or so, with genuinely cool mecha scenes (rocket spears!!!) and some intriguing setup. Also, selfish mean-spirited 02 is the most entertaining one.

And then, nothing pays off! No actual rebellion takes place. Noone actually reacts to the revelations about the setting, most of which are covered almost as an aside in disaffectionate plotdumps. Hell, I think Zorome never even showed any reaction whatsoever to the old lady being extremely loving dead (did he even realize?!). All just... gone, unimportant. And the show then has the loving gall to end on a shot of the Earthside protagonists staring into the horizon, spouting some moral that has gently caress-all to do with the actual show. It just continues to ignore all its potential for... nothing, really.

Also:
- Now what the hell was the giant hand, even? Just a huge Klaxosaur who never appears again? A manifestation of the queen's power? What?
- WHAT WAS THE POINT OF 02's FLASHBACK TO HER DEAD PARTNERS AND THE HAND?!?!?!
- The action scenes in these last two episodes were almost entirely garbage. Literally just textures moving against each other, with some eventually replaced by expanding circles. THIS IS NOT WHAT I'M HERE FOR
- VIRM continues to be disappointing. Not just their lame 2D texture representation, which looks like a goofy face from a distance, but mostly just lazy. The VIRM creatures themselves are also pretty much garbage. Just... random purple shapes. Nothing completely alien, as in the later half of TTGL, just generic monster shapes that might've been cannon fodder Klaxosaurs if you painted them blue. Eh concept, incredibly lame execution.

What a pointless and disappointing show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torquemadras posted:

- Now what the hell was the giant hand, even? Just a huge Klaxosaur who never appears again? A manifestation of the queen's power? What?

That was Star Entity. You know the thing that became Strelitzia Apus.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The biggest shame of this series is that it brought down the quality of the 4koma from outstanding to just great, because there wasn't even anything fun to make fun of anymore.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
as someone who stopped watching after ep 1 it warms my cockles to see that it ended badly

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

as someone who stopped watching after ep 1 it warms my cockles to see that it ended badly

Stopped watching after ep 1 but still checks the thread until after it ends lol

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Decent ending to a decent show IMO.

Endorph posted:

Yeah that final attack that Zero Two and Hiro used practically was screaming SRW to me. Looking forward to seeing DarliFra in it some day.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
The character drama was fun when it wasn't Hiro and 02 past the halfway mark. Hell, I kinda wish the show hadn't focused them so loving hard by the end. Everything bad about the final episode was literally Hiro and Zero Two, with the most phoned in loving Diebuster + Jupiter Bomb final battle ever.
Honestly though, as someone who came for the robot girls this show was incredibly disappointing. Me and my robot artist group are pretty annoyed by the whole thing, even if we ended up liking majority of the show.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Stopped watching after ep 1 but still checks the thread until after it ends lol

Thats against the rules

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
To me this anime including the ending was just :mediocre:.

We're never going to have a Mech anime as awesome as TTGL was are we? :negative:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

spasticColon posted:

We're never going to have a Mech anime as awesome as TTGL was are we? :negative:

There've been a lot of mecha shows as good as or better than Gurren Lagann

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spasticColon posted:

I think this show was never really going to be in the same vein as TTGL, it was at its best when it was doing character drama. If anything, the hard pivot into TTGL style high stakes action is when it started kinda sucking.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
for this reason, the climactic battle was weak, and the •Pray didn’t really land

i liked the denouement though

and this ending did not make me as laugh out loud furious as valvrave

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Endorph posted:

I think this show was never really going to be in the same vein as TTGL, it was at its best when it was doing character drama. If anything, the hard pivot into TTGL style high stakes action is when it started kinda sucking.

My main complaint is that the show focused too much on character drama. To me it looks like they couldn't find a balance between the character drama and mecha action.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
This was a romance/character drama show that just had it's setting in a mecha universe. Like we had a 4 episode stretch of the mechas not even being used. And yeah, the jump to aliens was a bit much, we could have just kept at the level of Papa being like, some rogue AI that decided HOOMANS were inefficient and still get a space fight finale attacking the space station, but whatever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

Exactly this. The potentially good and interesting parts of this show were all tied to the characters and their development, and the show got worse when they tried to make things mega epic fate-of-the-world style stuff because that stuff was all occurring at a level that only peripherally involved the protagonists at best. The story of the Klaxxosaurs vs the VIRM could be an interesting story in a show all about that, maybe, except that's a story that really has nothing to do with the entire show's focus on the kids and their growth and development.

spasticColon posted:

My main complaint is that the show focused too much on character drama. To me it looks like they couldn't find a balance between the character drama and mecha action.

The mecha stopped being a major focus of the show really early. For most of the series they were only used for the direct purpose of character development, and you had long stretches of episodes where the mecha either weren't used or were only shown for a brief moment to set up the conceit of the episode. I don't think they were ever trying to find a balance; for the majority of the runtime the characters clearly came first.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spasticColon posted:

I agree with that second part, at least. It felt like there were two very different creative visions for this show and it failed at both of them. The character drama failed because all of it was completely written off as soon as the action started, and the action failed because too much of it was weighed down by character drama that didn't tie into the action well, or exposition dumps that never paid off.

It feels like what you'd get if you put the worst parts of EVA and Gurren Lagann together.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IMO it reflects this show's splintered nature as a whole. It's a show with a lot of ties to Gainax's past, and a lot of blood from Trigger's future, but it's actually an A-1 show. It's a show about mecha action where the mechas are perfunctory for half the show. It's a sexy show that basically drops titties six episodes in. It's a character drama that refuses to let the main characters have any meaningful or elongated consequences. It's a show with gorgeous character design and animation that spends its finale stuck in a CG hellzone with characters only existing as cutaways to yelling faces.

Remember the episode where the guys and girls drew a line in the midde of the dorms? That's kind of a metaphor for the show - two things that are ostensibly part of the same thing, but can never really bridge the gap, connect with or understand each other.

This show had a few highlights, but it ultimately just feels like a waste. There were clearly a ton of talented people involved, but it just never felt like there was any one, unifying vision. Which would be fine, if this was a Space Dandy style scenario of the week thing, but it was theoretically a heavily plot-driven show. Ideally, a show like that shouldn't feel like everyone drew lots to decide what plot beats to put where.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in conclusion, i was right all along about godannar being better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NLVTFL1rvU

BAN BAN

GAN GAN GAN GAN

HEARTBREAKER GAGAGAGANGANGAN

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Endorph posted:

IMO it reflects this show's splintered nature as a whole. It's a show with a lot of ties to Gainax's past, and a lot of blood from Trigger's future, but it's actually an A-1 show. It's a show about mecha action where the mechas are perfunctory for half the show. It's a sexy show that basically drops titties six episodes in. It's a character drama that refuses to let the main characters have any meaningful or elongated consequences. It's a show with gorgeous character design and animation that spends its finale stuck in a CG hellzone with characters only existing as cutaways to yelling faces.

Remember the episode where the guys and girls drew a line in the midde of the dorms? That's kind of a metaphor for the show - two things that are ostensibly part of the same thing, but can never really bridge the gap, connect with or understand each other.

This show had a few highlights, but it ultimately just feels like a waste. There were clearly a ton of talented people involved, but it just never felt like there was any one, unifying vision. Which would be fine, if this was a Space Dandy style scenario of the week thing, but it was theoretically a heavily plot-driven show. Ideally, a show like that shouldn't feel like everyone drew lots to decide what plot beats to put where.

I imagine this show will be studied for awhile as an example of how not to do something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If 02 had pegged Hiro on episode 3 or whatever we would have had kill la kill + TTGL and it would have been a better show for it.

Non of this walking in the middle sort of poo poo, either go full crazy sexy giant robots or milktoast A1 character drama.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

in conclusion, i was right all along about godannar being better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NLVTFL1rvU

BAN BAN

GAN GAN GAN GAN

HEARTBREAKER GAGAGAGANGANGAN

:agreed:

For people in this thread who have a tolerance for some extremely dumb fanservice and want a show that blends mecha action and relationship drama a whole lot better than Franxx ended up doing, watch Godannar.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kanos posted:

:agreed:

For people in this thread who have a tolerance for some extremely dumb fanservice and want a show that blends mecha action and relationship drama a whole lot better than Franxx ended up doing, watch Godannar.

they just got done watching a show about characters with butt handles

and one time an enemy kinda just splooged on the mechas to make all the girls naked for no reason

i think they're probably prepared

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know what was a good show? Vandread.

I haven't seen it since 2004 so if it's actually bad don't yell at me.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Condiv posted:

and one time an enemy kinda just splooged on the mechas to make all the girls naked for no reason

There needs to be a reason? (Besides, wacky hijinks ensued. Wacky hijinks are worth a lot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

You know what was a good show? Vandread.

I haven't seen it since 2004 so if it's actually bad don't yell at me.

The first opening was pretty great, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN9TD_Txy2k

• Locked thread