Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Hold up. Only three people have done it with Red Mage? God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

VHGS posted:

Hold up. Only three people have done it with Red Mage? God drat.

It is super long and also RNG based. Increase or remove the timer and more people and jobs would be able to clear it. Every time you run out of time or die on high floor sets you've wasted multiple hours of time. For most people this isn't something they're going to bother with.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah. The real problem with a RDM solo clear is almost entirely time. Once you start hitting floors 150+ there are enemies who have too many MUST CC attacks that... well, you can't really do in a RDM solo. So you wind up wasting a lot of time waiting for enemies to move somewhere where you can run past. I'd also imagine the Pomander drain of going past 150 is real, since I can't think of many instances you'll be able to try and restock on the last 50 floors without a lot of luck on your side. Throw in the fact that a enemy spawn trap is probably just a death at that point and you've got a lot of things that can go really wrong for a run that has to restart a hundred floors down or more should it fail.

I'm surprised someone didn't manage to get a clear with WAR during HW, but maybe they just run into the problem of not being able to kill something before they need to have their stun up again (and don't) and without something more active to heal with then Inner Beast they just get too chunked.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phone posted:

At 50 you unlock a new currency called Poetics which can be traded for i120 gear (can be upgraded to i130 but I've never ever bothered) at level 50 which will carry you easily to the later half of the 50s.

Poetics can also be used for i260 gear at level 60 which is fine until a very specific dungeon at level 64.

Is this the thing I get from these beast tribe dailies?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Ytlaya posted:

Is this the thing I get from these beast tribe dailies?

Yeah you do get poetics from pre-SB beast tribes. In piddling amounts generally but they're there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Me, playing MCH in Heavensward content posted:

This really sucks. I thought a class based around guns would be more fun. I guess I'll level it to 70 just to get it out of the way.

Me, playing MCH in Heaven on High posted:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The 789th Order kobolds are my good friends. Friendship with the Scions ended, now the 789th Order are my best friends.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's true, the Scions will never sell you a flying chair powered by living bombs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Picked up Samurai again and a FC mate crafted me a full set of 350 gear. Been practicing my rotation and can clear O5S and Byakko EX dummies just fine so I'm doing pretty swell. More importantly, the 350 crafted gear has a nice murder hobo look to it so I've been enjoying the fashion endgame.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Sade posted:

HoH is pretty fun. I adore the art absolutely everywhere and am glad to have it as an option for combat jobs. I'm glad that Apex seems to be a little shorter this time but I hope it's as hard as the last 20 or 30 floors of potd were. Petrifying pomegranates and magicites are a big flavor improvement over rages and absolutions. I wish there had been a few more new pomeranians but I'm entertained and I hope to see at least a Susano magicite before the expansion's over.

Apex 31-70 is pretty much equivalent to PotD 101-150, in that it's not totally braindead but you have to go pretty far out of your way to get into trouble. 71-80 is starting to get a bit more challenging and then 81-90 absolutely skullfucks you with nasty, durable mobs, massive winding floors, and a propensity to stack gloom with amnesia, restricted items, or all three at once. Edit: Also Blind is unbelievably infuriating to have to deal with and it shows up a lot.

I've been to the top twice now and both times we're doing floor sets in 15-30 minutes and then 81-90 shows up and takes nearly the entire hour they give you. Those 10 floors are pretty much the challenge when climbing the Tall Dungeon. 91-100 actually has slightly easier mobs to handle on average, although it still requires very careful play. Frankly the last set of floors, much like PoTD, is easier then the penultimate set because you can unleash the petrifactions and magicites you were (hopefully) holding until then.

I think the biggest tower climbing tip there is, beyond standard gameplay practices that carry over from palace, is that with only 100 floors you basically won't make a 21-100 attempt if you're starting fresh, even with a good party of 4. You'll need to stop at some point and grind your weapon and armor up and extra 30-40 levels before you reach the hard stuff; we did this by running 21-30 a bunch but you could also just have two parallel climbs, stopping the first one at 60 or 70 and taking the second one up.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 8, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is repeatedly running dungeons the best way to grind levels for combat jobs, or are levequests better? It's not a big issue right now (I just had an awkward 3 level gap before the next story quest, which requires level 49, where I couldn't find any more normal quests around my level), but I imagine it'll matter when I want to level another job.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Is repeatedly running dungeons the best way to grind levels for combat jobs, or are levequests better? It's not a big issue right now (I just had an awkward 3 level gap before the next story quest, which requires level 49, where I couldn't find any more normal quests around my level), but I imagine it'll matter when I want to level another job.

Running your roulettes every day is the best way, but once you exhaust those you're left with running the highest level dungeon for your job, yeah.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the deep dungeons are also decent xp if rerunning dungeons gets boring, esp if you're a dps class and the queue times are a bit long.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

We died on floor 98 and plz hold me since we ran out of time too.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I don't think I really wanna do HoH. Maybe I'll spend my millions on the dodo if it ever becomes more common.

I'm probably boring, but... Egh, the roguelike features stress me out more than amuse me. I still wanna get stuff done in PotD 100+ some day too, but I just don't have the patience. I have more fun spamming EXDR or roulette in general over and over. Maybe I'm just jaded.

I ought to take a break from the game but I have a hard time focusing on most other games lately. Also I'm looking forward to the MonHun event and don't want to miss out. It's a conundrum.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
MonHunPC release date and specs are going to be announced Monday, so...?

edit:

:toot:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 8, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Impermanent posted:

the deep dungeons are also decent xp if rerunning dungeons gets boring, esp if you're a dps class and the queue times are a bit long.

If boredom is a concern, you probably shouldn't suggest grinding potd for xp.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The 789th Order kobolds are my good friends. Friendship with the Scions ended, now the 789th Order are my best friends.

The 789th Order is too lazy to care about anything, and I can respect that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
bomb mount best mount

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Mordiceius posted:

The winners of the Mordiceius & Masami's 1st Annual Housing Decorator Battle Royale have been announced!

Silver Bells selected three winners for their own prize money.
3rd Prize is Bolow Santosi with a prize of 1 million gil.
2nd Prize is Never Early with a prize of 2 million gil.
1st Prize is Genovie Montevere with a prize of 3 million gil.

The Best In Show: Apartment is Oliver Cox with a prize of 1 million gil and a Byakko Cub!

We had such a hard time picking a winner, that we created a runner-up prize for the estates.

The Best In Show: Estate - Runner Up is Mac Zehn with a prize of 2 million gil!

The Best In Show: Estate is Cherry Pepper with a prize of 5 million gil and a Byakko Cub!

Because of the prize money from Silver Bells, and a loan from Disco Lemonade, Rhoga and I were able to snag a medium plot! Just wanted to say thanks, and to share some pictures from the old small Shirogane plot.

Outside:

Top Floor:

Bottom Floor:

More pictures at: https://imgur.com/a/odL4z8R

The new house is undergoing renovations at the moment, since there is so much more space and we have absolutely no money left, but feel free to check it out at Lavender Beds Ward 15, Plot 1.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just did my first full party instance (fighting that imperial dude with the arm shields as part of the MSQ), and the visuals from everyone's attacks were extremely disorienting, with constant explosions making it impossible to see anything (which made it difficult to keep track of which way the boss was facing). Is there some way to make the visuals from allied's abilities less obtrusive?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So I just did my first full party instance (fighting that imperial dude with the arm shields as part of the MSQ), and the visuals from everyone's attacks were extremely disorienting, with constant explosions making it impossible to see anything (which made it difficult to keep track of which way the boss was facing). Is there some way to make the visuals from allied's abilities less obtrusive?

Sure is! Under Character Configuration -> General -> Character tab and it should be listed under battle effects settings.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Be sure to turn it back up when you do your first 24 man, so you can be permanently blinded by spell effects

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I bought the game in the steam sale because I played on a demo account way back when. I have a pre-existing account that I can't remember if it was associated with steam or not but now, when I try and use the steam cd-key on the mogstation to add the expansion pack, I get told the CD key is invalid. I'm a little puzzled about what to do to actually get in and playing.

Any advice?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The advice is to refund it because you cannot use a steam key on a retail key account

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Leal posted:

The advice is to refund it because you cannot use a steam key on a retail key account

Hrm. Can I just- roll up another account? I don't think I got especially far with the prior one. Like, it had about 14 hours play on it.

Also, the version I had came with Stormblood but not Heavensward. Does Heavensward just get grandfathered in or something?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Heavensward is included with Stormblood.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Neat. Thank you~

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genovera posted:

Because of the prize money from Silver Bells, and a loan from Disco Lemonade, Rhoga and I were able to snag a medium plot! Just wanted to say thanks, and to share some pictures from the old small Shirogane plot.

More pictures at: https://imgur.com/a/odL4z8R

The new house is undergoing renovations at the moment, since there is so much more space and we have absolutely no money left, but feel free to check it out at Lavender Beds Ward 15, Plot 1.

I'm glad the money was helpful! You two had the most impressive pair of houses for me, because of how different from each other they were and at the same time how each one was incredibly thematically cohesive. Since you already posted yours, here are some screenshots I took while on the other one:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xun posted:

Sure is! Under Character Configuration -> General -> Character tab and it should be listed under battle effects settings.

That is very good to know, thanks.

One other nice thing I noticed is that the game includes several color-blind options. It's really nice when developers include stuff like that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What is it that attracts the worst people to catboys?

Someone being a tryhard? Probably a catboy.
Someone being a creeper? Probably a catboy.
Someone complaining about mechanics? Probably a catboy.
Someone doesn't know their class? Probably a catboy.

While there are terrible players everywhere, I feel like the catboys are a fuggin honeypot trap for the worst people in the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

What is it that attracts the worst people to catboys?

Someone being a tryhard? Probably a catboy.
Someone being a creeper? Probably a catboy.
Someone complaining about mechanics? Probably a catboy.
Someone doesn't know their class? Probably a catboy.

While there are terrible players everywhere, I feel like the catboys are a fuggin honeypot trap for the worst people in the game.

they're all lalas actually

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I want to know what about Paladin attracts the absolute loving dregs of humanity. You get an ADR with a bunch of DRKs and WARs, no one actually wants to tank but they generally know how to once one of them finally gives up. You get 3 PLD's and you got 3 loving idiots who never leave shield oath spamming aggro combos on the boss for 10 goddamn minutes.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
It's me, the catboy paladin with a mentor crown.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bolow posted:

I want to know what about Paladin attracts the absolute loving dregs of humanity. You get an ADR with a bunch of DRKs and WARs, no one actually wants to tank but they generally know how to once one of them finally gives up. You get 3 PLD's and you got 3 loving idiots who never leave shield oath spamming aggro combos on the boss for 10 goddamn minutes.

"im a tank im not supposed to dps"

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Paladin's the special glowy heavy armor "I'm the main character" tank. It attracts people that are the ones that have to be the center of the party. It's also the most straight forward/basic tank at least on paper, so a lot of people from other MMOs will jump into it and assume all you do is spam aggro combos and tank buttons because thats all they did over there. WAR and DRK are for the cooler secondary party members who want to do fancy big damage as well as tank, and have less outright defense, so they don't attract the same crowds.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

im DRK since it matches the darkness of my soul.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

EGSunBro posted:

It's also the most straight forward/basic tank at least on paper, so a lot of people from other MMOs will jump into it and assume all you do is spam aggro combos and tank buttons because thats all they did over there.

And to be fair, in ARR, that's all PLDs actually could do, it was just a question of which stance you were in while doing it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bolow posted:

The one two combo of torture is a catboy Paladin. I’d take any race/class combination in my party before a catboy Paladin.

Basically: catboys were a mistake and should be deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just wanna level Paladin because I like Nanamo. :)