Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jonny 290 posted:

i've had really good luck with RAM mounts in the bimmer for my phone and all my radio poo poo, I think i'm going to just stay on that system and buy some bike mounts. Not weatherproof, but should be fine for sunny day riding at least.

They’re the poo poo, and will even do alright in the rain if you can get it in the bubble. I only put my phone away in downpours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I cemented a Quad Lock adapter on the back of my Galaxy S5 that I keep as a spare for GPS purposes. Keep a GPS app loaded onto it, set it up for GPS only, and it’s a fairly waterproof phone.
Then I can keep my main iPhone pocketed safely.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Took my FZ6 in to get serviced, valve adjustment, tires, oil change, because I have neither the time nor the garage to do the work myself at the moment. Obviously this put a sizable dent in my checking account.

Well, when I scheduled the service I asked for a set of PR4s since I'm about to take an 8000 mile trip across the country. I go to pick my bike up today AND THOSE WORTHLESS FUCKS PUT THE WRONG GODDAMN TIRES ON, they're Pilot Powers not PR4s, so they offer to change them, but I have to leave my bike there, tireless, until they get the PR4s in which is not an option because I sold my car for the aforementioned trip and I need the bike to commute to work.

So, does anyone know a reputable motorcycle shop between Florida and Texas? 'Cause that's when I expect to run out of tread on my stupid sportbike tire.

On the positive side, hoooooly poo poo does the bike feel awesome turning in on a tire that's not a hosed to poo poo Dunlop with the cords showing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've always had my tires put on here, which is also where I bought my only new bike. They've always been fine but don't consider this a glowing review, I wouldn't say I've taxed their skills bringing in wheels and tires every so often, so if you get a better recommendation go with it.

https://southmspowersports.com

They're maybe 15 minutes from I-10, in Mississippi. If you come down here and have to wait, and I'm free, I'll buy you lunch.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

I was supposed to get lasik today and [...] at night I'll get a dry eye sometimes and it makes one eye all blurry, which isn't really ideal when you're on a bike.

I had LASIK on both eyes 11 years ago, and my left eye still gets dry enough at times that I need some eye drops. I've also got some starbursts, but I don't regret it in the slightest, tho.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I had LASIK ~5 years ago. Occasional dry eyes in the morning. I recommend carrying these eye cleaning moist mini-towels they sell at the pharmacy. I mostly use them if I get sweat in my eyes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Found an oil spot under the bike today, turns out the same shop that put the wrong tires on also put the oil drain plug in finger-tight, I'm lucky it didn't rattle out on the freeway and wreck my engine.

I can't wait to have a garage again so I can never pay another incompetent fool to touch my bike ever again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Found an oil spot under the bike today, turns out the same shop that put the wrong tires on also put the oil drain plug in finger-tight, I'm lucky it didn't rattle out on the freeway and wreck my engine.

I can't wait to have a garage again so I can never pay another incompetent fool to touch my bike ever again.

"Why did you get into working on your own vehicles?"

"Two reasons: One, I'm a cheap bastard. Two, I can't trust dumb motherfukers to do the goddamn job right."

There's like, a half dozen people I would trust to work on any vehicle I own. I don't know what the gently caress I'm going to do when I get old.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Elviscat posted:

A competent, honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold. I have mediocre DIY skills at best, but I've caught mistakes from more than one mechanic. I have a good one right now, but he's no spring chicken.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1011584315040419840

wonder how that's gonna play out amongst the HD riders

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
A jingoistic rally cry, barely heard over the deafening dirge of tinnitus but resoundingly repeated nonetheless. God Bless this Great Country.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 27, 2018

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Quite A Tool posted:

A jingoistic rally cry, barely heard over the deafening dirge of tinnitus but resoundingly repeated nonetheless. God Bless this Great Country.

Like a Harley rider would spend enough time on the bike per year to get tinnitus...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Like a Harley rider would spend enough time on the bike per year to get tinnitus...

Yeah but they are all real old.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/stephenathome/status/1011792477391675397

Guess he's never seen a BMW

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I have NEVER heard a BMW with a pipe...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have. They’re still not that loud.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

A BMW with straight pipes sounds like a mid-60s Beetle.

The most quiet and unassuming raw exhaust noise possible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My mate has a rockster with a remus and it...doesn't really sound like anything to me. Ridden it a bunch of times, there's definitely a noise and it definitely comes out the exhaust and yeah.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just worked out I'm spending more per month on the bus/train to work right now than it would cost me to finance, insure, tax, and run a brand new Ninja 400. gently caress my life.

Don't remember if I mentioned it but the GPX is still holed up at the shop because they spotted the coasting enricher diaphragm on the carbs had perished, and the replacement is taking an age to ship.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Christ I loving hate skaters

Bunch of crustpunks doing tricks in a plaza downtown. Two of them wipe out at the same time and their boards go shooting into the street just as I'm riding by. I managed to finesse the throttle and brake so that one board went in front of the bike and another behind, with maybe three feet to spare on each end. They all laugh and "whooaaaaooooowwoooowowoooaaahhhh" as I give them the no-hands double finger.

Take your child poo poo to the playground please, thank you

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I think skaters are ok and that was an unfortunate event you had to deal with.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I haven't had a chance to form an opinion on skaters. But bicyclists running red lights near me... arrrh. Just the other day I was making a left turn at like 30mph, and this fucker runs the light from the oncoming lane and makes a wonderful last-second decision to split right between me and the car following me, no doubt causing them to smash on the brakes. Fuuuck you, buddy.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm thinking I should take the car to work on Friday, unless I want to arrive drenched in sweat.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm thinking I should take the car to work on Friday, unless I want to arrive drenched in sweat.

Rode in 96F weather with humidex over 104 for 1.5 hours today, it sucked balls. Take the car

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coredump posted:

I think skaters are ok and that was an unfortunate event you had to deal with.

If you can't keep control of your vehicle, don't ride it in a public area. hth

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Sagebrush posted:

*lowsides*

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
loving gently caress DPD forever.

The parcel that was meant to have my replacement part in it arrived last week... without the part inside. The box tore at some point in transit and it fell out, but did DPD check the contents, or phone ahead to say anything? Nope, just slapped some tape over the hole and stuck a note to the box saying they'd patched it. Idiots.

So I'm in for another probably two week wait while kawasaki reship another diaphragm. Ugh.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

didnt you just crash

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

didnt you just crash

Fair point. However, unlike skateboarders, I don't lose control of my vehicle dozens of times every time I use it, nor did it go shooting across the road for hundreds of feet, narrowly missing several other vehicles, when I washed out the front tire.

I just really fuckin hate skateboards

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
u just got mailboxed

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Fair point. However, unlike skateboarders, I don't lose control of my vehicle dozens of times every time I use it, nor did it go shooting across the road for hundreds of feet, narrowly missing several other vehicles, when I washed out the front tire.

I just really fuckin hate skateboards

Just cause their hobby of choice is cooler than yours is no reason to hate them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guys, guys, we’re losing focus. We need to channel our rage to the one true road hazard: bicyclists

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Guys, guys, we’re losing focus. We need to channel our rage to the one true road hazard: diesel

Lobby your local political representative to support investment in freight rail!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Guys, guys, we’re losing focus. We need to channel our rage to the one true road hazard: bicyclists
I recently rebuilt and test rode one of these things from 1923. It has a top speed of 30, brake (singular) the size of a moped, and is easily the most frightening thing I've ridden in 8 years of working on vintage bikes. First ride, coming back to the shop, I pulled to the side of the side of the road to stop and let everyone go by me before I turned left. It takes a number of seconds to engage the clutch and move forward from a stop. I stopped in the bicycle lane, having seen no bicyclists around at the time. I could have stopped in the middle of the road and blocked all the cars which I assume would have been more appropriate according to the letter of the law. Had to stay stopped for a minute because of all the traffic. A bicyclist rode past me yelling YOU CAN'T USE THIS LANE YOU CAN'T USE THIS LANE

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

A bicyclist rode past me yelling YOU CAN'T USE THIS LANE YOU CAN'T USE THIS LANE

... and likely continued yelling it as he rode through a stop sign/red light at the intersection. You were stopped in the bike lane, not riding along, correct? gently caress that guy, and gently caress cyclists who pull the "share the road" card when it's convenient but can't be bothered to follow traffic rules when they're not.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Reading bicyclist complaining about cars, motorcyclist complaining about cars and bicyclist and motorcyclist complaining about each other is the funniest thing to read.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The important thing to remember is everyone on the road is an rear end in a top hat, except for me

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I'm walking bicyclists are assholes because they never stop at pedestrian crossings.

When I'm on the motorcycle pedestrians are assholes because they step out into the road without looking.

When I'm in the car other cars are assholes because they hog the left lane and I don't have a rocket launcher on my car to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If you're not being an rear end in a top hat, then why did you even buy a motorcycle?