Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Superman was evil for 5 minutes

did you mean dead

he was dead for a while in the 90s and dead again recently

he was pretty much better off dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

value-brand cereal posted:

Louis lane screamed CLAAAARK as if she pressed the triangle button right in front of a cop right after superman came back to life and started flying arou d on public.

I'm confused and mad at that scene.

Speaking of triangle button, the final fight with steppenwolf was seriously some lovely video game plot. Defend cyborg while he does the thing so fight lots of goons and occasionally fight the boss.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The final battle in Guy Ritchie's King Arthur is straight out of Dark Souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-XLWdMOMIU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I still can't believe that guy is named Steppenwolf.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

packetmantis posted:

Darkseid and pals go back, WAY back. They were originally introduced in Jimmy Olsen's comic book of all things. I can't remember if the band is a reference to the character or they're both referencing something else.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

packetmantis posted:

He was just such an utterly :effort: antagonist. "Here's this guy, he wants to conquer earth." "But why?" "Dunno, gotta conquer something I guess."

As flawed as the MCU movies tend to be, at least they generally try and establish something of an emotional connection/conflict between the protagonists and antagonist. But here it was pretty much just a perfectly random monster from space that none of the cast had any particular history with.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Darkseid and pals go back, WAY back. They were originally introduced in Jimmy Olsen's comic book of all things. I can't remember if the band is a reference to the character or they're both referencing something else.

Theyre both referencing the book, most likely

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

syscall girl posted:

did you mean dead

he was dead for a while in the 90s and dead again recently

he was pretty much better off dead

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Superman should have pulled a, "Hey, Bruce. Bigger Inspiration: Me or YOUR MOM?"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Theyre both referencing the book, most likely

Yea but what the gently caress does the comic character have to do with herman hesse's literary classic? loving nothing

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't remember if the band is a reference to the character or they're both referencing something else.
:catstare:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ignite Memories posted:

Yea but what the gently caress does the comic character have to do with herman hesse's literary classic? loving nothing

I think in both cases it just sounded cool

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Not even Dark Souls, just suuuuuuper generic. There's nothing memorable about that bad guy, which Hollywood does all the time now. Its rote for them, just going through the motions.

But worse, the cinematography in that fight is awful. Guy Ritchie needs to stick to gangster films. The camera's flipping around like he's super excited at what CG can do but the pacing is a mess and it looks awful, its too tight. He switches to CG characters while spinning the camera around them WHILE doing the 300 stop-go-stop-go thing... its way way way too loving much. They also obviously look like two dudes on a green screen stage, they don't sit in the scene at all or interact with it in any meaningful way.

This is Michael Bay cinematography. That's what you are now, Guy Ritchie. That's sad.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Jul 8, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I heard the film sucked but that fight was dope as hell. And its on Netflix!

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

it's always cool to see modern-day nerds have less understanding of culture than children, from the 1960s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aerosmith were also named after a book they'd all read in school, weren't they?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

Aerosmith were also named after a book they'd all read in school, weren't they?

Kinda but not quite apparently

quote:

The members of the band reportedly spent afternoons getting stoned and watching Three Stooges reruns.[29] One day, they had a post-Stooges meeting to try to come up with a name. Kramer said that, when he was in school, he would write the word aerosmith all over his notebooks.[30] The name had popped into his head after listening to Harry Nilsson's album Aerial Ballet, which featured jacket art of a circus performer jumping out of a biplane. Initially, Kramer's bandmates were unimpressed; they all thought he was referring to the Sinclair Lewis novel they were required to read in high school English class. "No, not Arrowsmith," Kramer explained. "A-E-R-O...Aerosmith."[31] The band settled upon this name after also considering "the Hookers" and "Spike Jones."[30][32]

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Vormir in Infinity War also looked very Kiln of the First Flame/Lothric-ey. It even had an eclipse that looked like a giant dark sign.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Kinda but not quite apparently

Man I wanna live in the universe where Steve Tyler fronts a band called The Hookers

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Biplane posted:

I heard the film sucked but that fight was dope as hell. And its on Netflix!

I... didn't hate it, I guess? It was pretty drat forgettable, but it was Guy Ritchie enough to keep me entertained.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Perestroika posted:

I... didn't hate it, I guess? It was pretty drat forgettable, but it was Guy Ritchie enough to keep me entertained.

I saw it in theaters and it's fine. Its. Fiiiiine.

I actually wish there was more magic stuff.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phanatic posted:

Also, he’s a cop, and the only witnesses to the crime are other cops. Even beyond that, finding your pregnant wife’s severed head in a box when you’re right next to the guy who severed it, who just happens to be a confessed serial killer who has already murdered a bunch of other people, is going to scream “diminished capacity” to every defense lawyer and prosecutor. No way are charges filed, even if the cops don’t swear up and down that John Doe lunged at him and tried to take his gun. Which they would.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I meant.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I hate it when movies hold back a twist when they have no reason to other than the fact that they know they are making a movie. I'm spoiling poo poo but it's such a nothing movie I don't think anyone will care if I don't use tags, but if you want to watch it stop reading.

In The Drop, Tom Hardy's character is a hardened killer and some guy comes along who claims to have killed someone he himself killed and starts extorting him for his new puppy. The Tom Hardy at the end of the movie who nonchalantly shoots the guy in the neck twice like it was nothing would have done that the first time this guy broke into his house asking for the dog. He plays nice for no reason other than to trick the viewer into thinking tom hardy's character is a good guy. He works with the Chechen mob, he would have blown the guy's face off at the first confrontation if it were reality.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love how Supes just looks super fuckin confused in that last panel hahaha

e:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I love how Supes just looks super fuckin confused in that last panel hahaha

e:

The last panel looks like he's thinking this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

correct, Jojo is also bad and lovely

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Some thoughts on A Quiet Place:

1. Why would you grow that much freaking corn for such a small amount of people? Wouldn't you grow some other things if for nothing other than variety, to say nothing about the nutritional deficiencies you get from a corn-based diet?

2. For that matter, how do you manage to furrow, sow, and harvest that much corn without making any noise?

3. If ambient noise camouflages you, why wouldn't you set up shop near a source of it, like that nearby waterfall? Then you could talk and plan and tinker without the inconvenience of having to be silent. (Maybe the answer to (2) is they do it while it's raining?)

4. Where are they getting power? Obviously there's no engine driving a generator, but we don't see solar panels or a windfarm (and keeping all those CRTs running is going to be a lot of power). We even see the power flicker a few times but there's no indication why.

5. Where the hell was all that water coming from? Rainwater storage tank? If so, that's a big loving rainwater storage tank and you wouldn't locate it right next to your underground hideout.

6. How did the one thing get down into the underground hideout?

7. All parents should have a soundproof cradle.

8. How were these things ever a threat, let alone a threat serious enough to basically destroy civilization? Their whole thing is "make a beeline to whatever you hear and try to eat it," they'd be trivial to trap, capture, or otherwise extinguish. Dig a dry moat around your fortress, line it with punji sticks, make all the noise you want. One Apache could slaughter hundreds of them. Or just do the mechanical-oven-timer trick but leave it sitting on top of a 500-lb bomb. In a city with a mass transit system they'd be committing mass suicide trying to eat moving trains. Similarly, you'd think "These things hunt by sound, maybe it's possible to disturb them with some kind of noise" would be one of the first things tested on the ones that would inevitably have been live-captured by putting an oven timer in a big squirrel trap.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I liked how the main dad character sacrifices himself by dropping his axe and screaming at the monster.

Dude just throw the axe at something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rolo posted:

I liked how the main dad character sacrifices himself by dropping his axe and screaming at the monster.

Dude just throw the axe at something.

I was thinking the kids should just have stayed up on the silo. It was fine, they were safe, there was no emergency need to get down. Dad would've found them eventually (Heck, I figured "they know what to do" meant "they know to get to the top of the silo and light a signal fire), especially once it was daylight, and it's not like they were going to freeze or starve up there.

Also you don't sink in corn. And neither did the kids, unless they had to in order to create drama. In some scenes they sank, in others they didn't. If the grain's *moving*, like falling through an elevator or pouring out a chute, or it's a big pile that can slide freely down on the sides, it won't support your weight and you can easily get engulfed, but a big mass of static corn isn't like quicksand (which also doesn't pull you under, but I'm talking about Hollywood quicksand).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They were probably thinking of this when they wrote the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8I1ImzoXvU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It was also weird how they've been shown capable of ripping up solid, centimetre-thick steel plates no problem, but then one of them was just completely incapable of forcing its way into a truck's cab for like a full minute.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out the premise of most horror movies is poo poo if you think about it much at all

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Some thoughts on A Quiet Place:

1. Why would you grow that much freaking corn for such a small amount of people? Wouldn't you grow some other things if for nothing other than variety, to say nothing about the nutritional deficiencies you get from a corn-based diet?

2. For that matter, how do you manage to furrow, sow, and harvest that much corn without making any noise?

3. If ambient noise camouflages you, why wouldn't you set up shop near a source of it, like that nearby waterfall? Then you could talk and plan and tinker without the inconvenience of having to be silent. (Maybe the answer to (2) is they do it while it's raining?)

4. Where are they getting power? Obviously there's no engine driving a generator, but we don't see solar panels or a windfarm (and keeping all those CRTs running is going to be a lot of power). We even see the power flicker a few times but there's no indication why.

5. Where the hell was all that water coming from? Rainwater storage tank? If so, that's a big loving rainwater storage tank and you wouldn't locate it right next to your underground hideout.

6. How did the one thing get down into the underground hideout?

7. All parents should have a soundproof cradle.

8. How were these things ever a threat, let alone a threat serious enough to basically destroy civilization? Their whole thing is "make a beeline to whatever you hear and try to eat it," they'd be trivial to trap, capture, or otherwise extinguish. Dig a dry moat around your fortress, line it with punji sticks, make all the noise you want. One Apache could slaughter hundreds of them. Or just do the mechanical-oven-timer trick but leave it sitting on top of a 500-lb bomb. In a city with a mass transit system they'd be committing mass suicide trying to eat moving trains. Similarly, you'd think "These things hunt by sound, maybe it's possible to disturb them with some kind of noise" would be one of the first things tested on the ones that would inevitably have been live-captured by putting an oven timer in a big squirrel trap.

Not that most of your questions aren't irrational (because it's a horror movie and you have to watch it on its own terms to be entertained) but specifically for number 4 the power flickering was shown to be something the aliens themselves cause through some weird biochemical EM interference that they generate. That's why there are like four or five scenes of lights going dark when they're near. Also for number 6 the thing went underground because it was following the sound of the water falling into their little shelter. By that time we'd seen one tear through the metal of a grain silo so it'd be trivial for it to plow through the mattress they have over their hole, which is why it didn't bother me. Finally for number 8 the aliens are pretty well established as impregnable, indestructible killing machines. I agree though that if there's one thing humans are good at it's figuring out how to kill things so it's more likely that some military would have taken care of them, but the movie was so tense anyway I forgave it that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Finally for number 8 the aliens are pretty well established as impregnable, indestructible killing machines.

Except that she blows one dead with a shotgun and then the movie ends with the clear expectation she’s going to do it twice more. I’m pretty sure that whatever armor you’re talking about a .50 or 30mm is going to penetrate more of it than a 12-gauge shotgun round will.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Humans can't even kill humans properly, I'm sure we'd be okay against a surprise alien threat :rolleyes:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yes, they shoot it in the face after it opens its face in pain after the ear implant's signal stuns it. Earlier in the film they establish that the creatures are bulletproof, but apparently if you make them expose their weak point you can attack it for massive damage!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I am pretty irritated that I spend the past hour and a half watching Super Troopers 2. It's just so aggressively uninteresting. All it is is the characters saying "hey remember that joke we made in the first one?", with some tired "lol Canada" jokes sprinkled in.

I know comedy sequels do this a lot but seriously, I wish I had just not watched it.

Most irrational irritation: one of the characters says to multiply by 2 and add 32 to convert celsius to fahrenheit. It's multiply by 1.8 rear end in a top hat.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

What do you mean by set up shop? There was a big empty house, reasonably close to the waterfall. Of course they were going to live in the house and be quiet, rather than live in a tarp under a waterfall to be slightly less quiet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I am pretty irritated that I spend the past hour and a half watching Super Troopers 2. It's just so aggressively uninteresting. All it is is the characters saying "hey remember that joke we made in the first one?", with some tired "lol Canada" jokes sprinkled in.

I know comedy sequels do this a lot but seriously, I wish I had just not watched it.

Most irrational irritation: one of the characters says to multiply by 2 and add 32 to convert celsius to fahrenheit. It's multiply by 1.8 rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I just watched it and it was real bad. The presence of Will Sasso playing an extremely over-the-top cliche Canadian character made the whole thing feel like a cheap MadTV episode. Broken Lizard, you're not geniuses but you're better than that, comeon.

I think Will Sasso is even actually Canadian but it was still a cartoon character.

It didn't do anything original the first movie didn't do and more than half the plot was just frustratingly waiting for things to resolve in the obvious way you knew they were going to.

And Farva in particular, I mean his character was always a dick but I feel like they cranked the dickishness up to 11 on that film, he was just completely insufferable. The group tries to avoid bringing him in, and then when he shows up they all groan and they're like "oh no, not Farva!" and its like, as the audience I feel exactly the same way, that's not a good thing guys.