Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's not really true, though, Vordt's is good for twinking and fantastic for PvE in general, and several of the greatswords are solid.

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic. They're definitely not as good as the weapons that I already have for my dex build though, at least so far.

Edit: Added quote 'cause page snype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

CordlessPen posted:

I also went back and killed the Curse Rotted Greatwood at level 60 and mashed him into pulp in 4 swings. Then I realized all the boss soul weapons are garbage and sold them all for 200 000 souls and leveld up even more.

Depends on your build. Not being infusable hurts their scaling at higher SL, sure.

The Crystal Sage Rapier and Prisoner's Chain are always worth transposing IMO.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I love my Demon Axe and Dragonslayer Axe. Axes are the coolest.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Picked the game back up and was trying weapons I hadn't tried before. I like the flame sword that acts like a pyromancy flame from the Demon Prince.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Demon scar is really good, you can surprise tons of people with it in PvP by mixing it up with combos/spells. But suffers from requiring you to beat like 90% of the game to get it, or alternatively beat Friede and Demon Prince early which is its own special kind of hell.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

My last playthrough I went for a pure Scythe guy. There's only 4 of those in the game and I got em all. I probably used the Corvian Great Scythe the most. It causes bleed on yourself for every hit, but it was surprisingly playable and it hit for some decent damage as well. The moveset's a bit ehhh but I got used to it eventually.

I ended up going to the first DLC pretty early on so I could get Friedes Soul and transpose it into her Scythe. And hoo boy that thing is awesome! The damage isn't super great but the weapon art fucks poo poo up and catches people off guard a lot in PvP. The weapon art R2 is also really good for catching parry-happy people off guard. Can't parry that ice floor homeslice! :thumbsup:

e: Pontiff Knight Great Scythe get's a big thumbs down tho, maybe because I already had Friedes or something but that thing is just bad somehow.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

CordlessPen posted:

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic. They're definitely not as good as the weapons that I already have for my dex build though, at least so far.

Edit: Added quote 'cause page snype!

Treeballs soul gives you the dex poise machine gun

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CordlessPen posted:

Then I realized all the boss soul weapons are garbage and sold them all for 200 000 souls and leveld up even more.

Some of them are only okay or for gimmicks, but there's only a few I'd call outright garbage and plenty that are very good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I got this game in the last steam sale, I've finished all of the main game for the first time and also Ashes of Ariandel.

I played Dark Souls 1 for the first time a little while ago, I decided to give the second game a miss since it looked kind of dull, but I thought this game was way, way harder than the first one, for me anyway, which is odd since I've seen a lot of people complain that it's too easy. It just feels like the speedier combat means almost every enemy is a bigger threat, and overall, especially later on, they can do difficult to interrupt combos for sometimes seven or eight hits of massive damage and if you gently caress up once you'll get caught in that combo, stunlocked and killed. Even the cannon fodder enemies seem to take off half my health in one go. Its also harder to avoid engagements with multiple enemies.

I'm sorry about moaning it's just I'm a bit aghast at how people's reactions seem to be saying this game was a comparative walk in the park compared to the rest of the series when I found DS1 much more manageable on the whole, this game's been a real ordeal (in good and bad ways) and I don't think I have the fortitude to try and get through the Ringed City from what I've heard about it's later content (I've just killed the demon boss), Sister Friede was a pretty awesome boss overall but that probably pushed me to my limits and if it gets harder from there, yeesh.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 7, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

khwarezm posted:

I got this game in the last steam sale, I've finished all of the main game for the first time and also Ashes of Ariandel.

I played Dark Souls 1 for the first time a little while ago, I decided to give the second game a miss since it looked kind of dull, but I thought this game was way, way harder than the first one, for me anyway, which is odd since I've seen a lot of people complain that it's too easy. It just feels like the speedier combat means almost every enemy is a bigger threat, and overall, especially later on, they can do difficult to interrupt combos for sometimes seven or eight hits of massive damage and if you gently caress up once you'll get caught in that combo, stunlocked and killed. Even the cannon fodder enemies seem to take off half my health in one go. Its also harder to avoid engagements with multiple enemies.

I'm sorry about moaning it's just I'm a bit aghast at how people's reactions seem to be saying this game was a comparative walk in the park compared to the rest of the series when I founded DS1 much more manageable on the whole, this game's been a real ordeal (in good and bad ways) and I don't think I have the fortitude to try and get through the Ringed City from what I've heard about it's later content (I've just killed the demon boss), Sister Friede was a pretty awesome boss overall but that probably pushed me to my limits and if it gets harder from there, yeesh.

Online dark souls fans view the whole series through a really stupid lens of nostalgia. Ds3 is far and away more difficult than ds1, it's just in their brains ds1 lives in this haze of nostalgia and mystique that convinces them it's the hardest game ever made.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You must've been listening to the wrong people, I feel like the consensus here has always been that 3 is way harder. Dark Souls 1 was hard at the time but going back to it it's just... so slow? It's funny to see the enemies spend half a minute winding up their attack when you can just stroll around them and get a backstab.

Of course, I think both the developers and the players themselves sort of expected 3 to be more difficult. After all, we've already played two Dark Souls games (or more if you include Demon's Souls and/or Bloodborne) and part of the appeal of the games is the challenge.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm doing decent at bloodborne but I still haven't gotten out of the high wall of lothric because the staggering power of the trash mobs is just ridiculous. You run past one guy just a little too close and you're done. I don't think the devs balanced stagger very well in this game compared to previous entries.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

jit bull transpile posted:

Online dark souls fans view the whole series through a really stupid lens of nostalgia. Ds3 is far and away more difficult than ds1, it's just in their brains ds1 lives in this haze of nostalgia and mystique that convinces them it's the hardest game ever made.

To just put things into perspective, I started off DS1 dying like an idiot forty times to the Bell Gargoyles (not an exaggeration, I was so clueless I didn't even know about weapon reinforcement and Andre, or summoning and how to do it, I ended up just chucking firebombs at one of the Gargoyles and lucking out) but by the end of the game I killed the Four Kings and Gwen and some other bosses in a single try. Coming into DS3 with much better knowledge of the mechanics I got absolutely hammered by every single boss starting with the Dancer all the way to Friede, and even with earlier bosses it was still pretty rough.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean heck, look at streams or let's plays from when DS3 came out. Everyone (including series veterans) got absolutely massacred by Gundyr and he's the tutorial boss. DS3 and Bloodborne both ramped the difficulty up pretty significantly.

I'm doing decent at bloodborne but I still haven't gotten out of the high wall of lothric because the staggering power of the trash mobs is just ridiculous. You run past one guy just a little too close and you're done. I don't think the devs balanced stagger very well in this game compared to previous entries.
Miyazaki: ....poise? what do you mean poise?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Computer posted:

I mean heck, look at streams or let's plays from when DS3 came out. Everyone (including series veterans) got absolutely massacred by Gundyr and he's the tutorial boss. DS3 and Bloodborne both ramped the difficulty up pretty significantly.

Miyazaki: ....poise? what do you mean poise?

Bloodborne feels fair at least. When I die, I can usually see exactly what I did wrong and how I can be better. Ds3 feels like bullshit for tryhards so far. When I die the only lesson is "Don't engage any enemy, ever". maybe I'll feel different once I'm leveled enough to use decent weapons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
spam roll

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Bloodborne feels fair at least. When I die, I can usually see exactly what I did wrong and how I can be better. Ds3 feels like bullshit for tryhards so far. When I die the only lesson is "Don't engage any enemy, ever". maybe I'll feel different once I'm leveled enough to use decent weapons.

Have you tried parrying? Compared to DS1 a lot more enemies are vulnerable to parrying and it can be really good at forcing tough enemies to cease their attacks, break their defenses and open them up to huge damage.

A ton of the bosses can even be parried.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They didn't. In dark souls 3 absolutely every attack is guaranteed to stagger you, no matter how small it is, unless you are currently swinging a big weapon or have a couple of very limited weapon arts activated. It feels like poo poo to get staggered and interrupted by anything that breathes on you.

Try using a shield for normal enemies, the game's a lot easier with one. You'll probably have to put it away for bosses though

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The game really suffer from the dev-team having just come off Bloodborne I think. They had gotten used to this super fast aggressive twitchy game they just made and kind of just kept going. But Dark Souls is kind of based around somewhat sluggish methodical combat so the two styles don't mesh very well. It really doesn't help when some enemies are using Bloodborne assets in that you can tell by the way they move they're designed around being fought with sidesteps and gun parries, but your character has neither of those so you end up not being able to fight them "properly"

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Deacons of the Deep, but each deacon is a swamp crab. Yes, the big ones.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

khwarezm posted:

Have you tried parrying? Compared to DS1 a lot more enemies are vulnerable to parrying and it can be really good at forcing tough enemies to cease their attacks, break their defenses and open them up to huge damage.

A ton of the bosses can even be parried.

It's hard to parry when there's 4 other guys in the room waiting to smack you in the back.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
DS3's pace and level of danger are extremely good, actually. Rolling is more than strong enough to compensate for the speed of the game.

It only gets dumb in the DLCs, and for a different reason. (Too much enemy HP.)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In a vacuum, Dark Souls 3's pacing is *mostly* fine. There are definitely playstyles that I think are somewhat hurt by the move to faster enemies and animations, but it's definitely engaging and fun on a moment to moment level.

But it's also lost a lot of the character that made me fall in love with Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, and I've seen people bounce off of it (and Bloodborne too) because they simply didn't have the reflexes to keep up with some of the bosses and enemies.

And the DLC's problem is definitely not just too much enemy HP. The encounter design in The Ringed City has some of the lowest lows in the series, and there are enemies like the Crow Knights in Ariandel that feel like they've been designed to be fought by a Bloodborne character, not a Dark Souls one.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

DS3's pace and level of danger are extremely good, actually. Rolling is more than good enough to compensate for the speed of the game.
It only gets dumb in the DLCs, and for a different reason. (Too much enemy HP.)
If you really enjoy twitch gameplay that just tests your reaction speed. Then DaS3 is the game for you. For a Souls game though the pacing is absolutely way overtuned. I mean, with every death in DaS1 & DaS2 I knew what happened and what I did wrong. On the other hand, I do not recall a single death in DaS3 that felt fair and not like the game just screwed me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's only one Crow Knight encounter that isn't fair relative to the tools DS3 gives you, and even that one's debatable. Namely, it's the one with two of them in an enclosed space, and I say "debatable" because you can climb a ladder, crawl through a hole, and ambush them from the ceiling if you're being careful and observant.

e: Which, I mean, it's Dark Souls. Screwing you for not paying attention is half of what makes the series good.

Raygereio posted:

If you really enjoy twitch gameplay that just tests your reaction speed. Then DaS3 is the game for you. For a Souls game though the pacing is absolutely way overtuned. I mean, with every death in DaS1 & DaS2 I knew what happened and what I did wrong. On the other hand, I do not recall a single death in DaS3 that felt fair and not like the game just screwed me.

The only really unfair deaths in DS3 are a handful of grabs with hitboxes that linger after the limb has already passed by. (They're usually on bosses so you can't skip them, and there's no way to know about them except to get hit or have someone tell you what they are.)

I may not have felt that way at the moment I first died to various enemies, but that's because I was new to the game and didn't know anything yet.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 7, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I may not have felt that way at the moment I first died to various enemies, but that's because I was new to the game and didn't know anything yet.
I have to admit. I appreciate the stealth "git gud" there. Dark Souls 3 is still the worst Souls game and just not fun in general. But credit where credit is due.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

But it's also lost a lot of the character that made me fall in love with Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, and I've seen people bounce off of it (and Bloodborne too) because they simply didn't have the reflexes to keep up with some of the bosses and enemies.
Yeah, that describes me. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and when I play games it's after work when I'm tired and want to relax. But DaS3 requires me constantly being alert and on guard on a level that never felt comfortable. Das1 & 2 certainly punishes you for slipping up or not paying attention. But they didn't do that constantly and there was always room to recover.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dark Souls 3 is the best Souls game, although there are specific aspects of it that are a step backwards. (Mostly the bland covenants and the overall organization / matchmaking aspect of PvP.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

It's hard to parry when there's 4 other guys in the room waiting to smack you in the back.

Bring a bow or something else that's ranged to draw them out, you shouldn't be allowing the enemies to gang up on you like that and even if it does come to it parrying and riposting will put you into an invincible state and keep at least one enemy out of the fight for some time.

Raygereio posted:

I have to admit. I appreciate the stealth "git gud" there.

Jesus Christ dude.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's only one Crow Knight encounter that isn't fair relative to the tools DS3 gives you, and even that one's debatable. Namely, it's the one with two of them in an enclosed space, and I say "debatable" because you can climb a ladder, crawl through a hole, and ambush them from the ceiling if you're being careful and observant.

Yeah, I remember that, I just climbed into the rafters, killed one with some arrows and dropped down on the other. Overall the crow knights are pretty vulnerable, the rapier ones are unbelievably open to parrying while the claw ones lock themselves into such a long combo you can just let them go for it and attack them from behind when they can't really react.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 7, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Jesus Christ dude.

Nah that's a fair take on what I said. It's also supposed to mean that everyone's been there and I get it.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I always felt like ds2 could be the most punishing, with how awful hitboxes are. Plus the game expects you to fight groups of enemies while giving you crappy rolls and low stamina. Definitely more punishing than ds1. At least in ds3 your rolls start off being good and require very little stamina.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah I’d say DS2 has a MUCH higher bullshit death quotient than DS3. Both games are significantly harder than DS1 but DS3 gives you the super powerful tool needed to deal with everything, namely incredibly cheap and permissive rolling.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Playing this for the second time and I've been mostly enjoying it but wow the Demon Ruins area is awful. It feels like a bad Bloodborne chalice dungeon. I'm pretty sure I've seen the same Catacombs set-pieces 20 times each now and the quadruped Ghrus remind me of mini Blood Starved Beasts with their spastic swiping and overly-aggressive pursuit. I just want out of this bullshit maze!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Volte posted:

Playing this for the second time and I've been mostly enjoying it but wow the Demon Ruins area is awful. It feels like a bad Bloodborne chalice dungeon. I'm pretty sure I've seen the same Catacombs set-pieces 20 times each now and the quadruped Ghrus remind me of mini Blood Starved Beasts with their spastic swiping and overly-aggressive pursuit. I just want out of this bullshit maze!

Demon Ruins was kind of a slog. It did really feel mailed in although I like the payoff of finally getting to that drat turret.

skasion posted:

Yeah I’d say DS2 has a MUCH higher bullshit death quotient than DS3. Both games are significantly harder than DS1 but DS3 gives you the super powerful tool needed to deal with everything, namely incredibly cheap and permissive rolling.

Dark Souls 2 sucked. Every time I think about that game I think about Matthewmatosis' video on it and laugh. What a terrible game overall. Bullshit mob ganging and bullshit gauntlets up to bosses. I think that catacomb area with those loving hollows that ring the bells is probably the only area of any souls game that I viscerally hate.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Dark Souls 2 sucked. Every time I think about that game I think about Matthewmatosis' video on it and laugh. What a terrible game overall. Bullshit mob ganging and bullshit gauntlets up to bosses. I think that catacomb area with those loving hollows that ring the bells is probably the only area of any souls game that I viscerally hate.

Whilst true, Matosis getting stuck on Twin Dragonriders of all things because he refused to manually target them will never not be funny

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
In my opinion, dark souls 2 is cool, and good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark Souls 2 is my favourite Dark Souls

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hello I am here to again protest Namco's villainous policy of never putting Dark Souls 3's DLC on sale except as part of the complete edition, which even when on sale is as expensive or moreso than the season pass. Eat my fat white rear end Namco.

Also,

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

In my opinion, dark souls 2 is cool, and good.
:yeah:

Third-best Souls game (fourth if you count Bloodborne) isn't the badge of shame people like to make it out to be.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Walrus Pete posted:

Third-best Souls game (fourth if you count Bloodborne) isn't the badge of shame people like to make it out to be.

Yeah it's not terrible. It's got the most glaringly annoying design decisions of any of the games in the series but it still has its moments. People who have played Bloodborne and rank DS2 above Bloodborne though, are monsters.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've done every Soulsborne game this year, Dark Souls 3 being my current and last, and Dark Souls 2 isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. My main issue with it is that you start out so weak and lovely that you basically have to just have faith that eventually you'll become a tanky killing machine and stop getting stun-locked to death by every other hollow. No part of the game was as hard as the Forest of the Fallen Giants for me.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Demon Ruins was kind of a slog. It did really feel mailed in although I like the payoff of finally getting to that drat turret.
Getting to the other side with 0 Estus and realizing there's no bonfire at the same instant you see bonewheel skeletons in the distance is a uniquely Dark Souls experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

My biggest gripe is the weapon balancing in DS2, if you aren't using Strike weapons a huge portion of the game is arbitrarily more difficult.