Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I guess the “official” rescue is underway as of like an hour

Also:

quote:

Elon Musk has wished the “extremely talented dive team” luck on their mission, in a tweet that seems to indicate his involvement in the rescue efforts may have come to an end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also:

Guess they told his people to go away. That or he saw something shiney and wandered off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also:
Heh, "involvement".

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Wonder what's going on with him and Grimes.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also:

It's been underway since 8 hours before this post roughly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

Wonder what's going on with him and Grimes.
I still don't know who that is.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Grimes is Claire Boucher, who Musk is dating, and according to an article from May she has decided to change her name to the symbol for the speed of light.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/19/17372526/grimes-c-boucher-name-change-elon-musk

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Looks like its going better than I expected it would:

https://twitter.com/CurtisSChin/status/1015921434370150400

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That is amazing... Way ahead of schedule, too

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Oh thank Christ

Fuuuuuck caves

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Still holding my breath but this is amazing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's two more alive than I expected.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Holy loving poo poo if that is true then this was already a success.

If they get them all out Thailand should spend 1% of their GDP making an award-winning movie on this.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Third kid is out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress yeah

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Holy loving poo poo if that is true then this was already a success.

If they get them all out Thailand should spend 1% of their GDP making an award-winning movie on this.

They'll find a way to cast Mark Wahlberg in it

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

egyptian rat race posted:

They'll find a way to cast Mark Wahlberg in it

he will be the thai soccer coach

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Those Thai tweens are apparently stone cold badasses

Rooting for the rest

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

They're saying the rest of the rescue could take up to a day, but boy howdy, what a way to kick it off

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Capitalism rules lmao

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1015646664856690688

quote:

One startup, Loftium, will supply up to $50,000 for a down payment if the homebuyer agrees to rent out a room on Airbnb and share the income. A few organizations, like Unison Agreement Corp. and Landed Inc., offer “shared equity” contracts through which buyers get money for their down payments in exchange for pledging part of the home’s future value to investors like pension funds or foundations. And some banks, including Bank of America Corp. and Morgan Stanley , have programs through which young adults can get a mortgage with nothing down if their parents pledge investment assets as collateral.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean that's pretty clever on the part of the lenders, but lmao we are so hosed.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That is amazing... Way ahead of schedule, too

what are you doing?

whoops

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I will vote for the people who save these kids to replace Trump’s entire cabinet, citizenship requirements be damned.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/STcom/status/1015934835192238080?s=19

Now up to 4 boys rescued.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I mean that's pretty clever on the part of the lenders, but lmao we are so hosed.

Owning a house as an investment when it's your primary residence is a dumb idea that, surprise surprise, baby boomers came up with. The housing bubble should have disabused everyone of the notion that home ownership is a guaranteed path to building wealth.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

Owning a house as an investment when it's your primary residence is a dumb idea that, surprise surprise, baby boomers came up with. The housing bubble should have disabused everyone of the notion that home ownership is a guaranteed path to building wealth.

I had a professor sit down with me and show me exactly why home ownership isn’t the be-all-end-all because it has been driven into me that buying a home is your first step to being wealthy (its way more nuanced than that but I don’t feel like getting into it).

It’s still hard for me to wrap my head around how renting can be a better way to spend money than buying since you’re not building equity but we are going against 30 years of conditioning.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They've extracted as much wealth from millennials as they can to the point now where they're trying to extract future earnings.

I'm not surprised at all.

I would kinda want to see the language of these loans. What happens if AirBnB is declared illegal in my area after the fact? What happens if my parent's investments (:lol:) tanks with the economy and they're now worthless?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

You're probably trying to say you don't care, but I'll tell you anyway:

A pretty good musician. The music is good; she does all or near-all of the production and provides layered vocals over it. Her videos range from big productions to just stuff pieced together that her videographer brother often filmed in between concerts and such while on tour or via a few day trips. Because she was a relatively unknown "weird" musician, who often traveled with a posse of lesser-known models/dancers, nerds became convinced she must also identify with liberalism or something, so they're mad about Musk. Also because she's cute, and people get jealous over the girl they were never going to meet/date anyway when they see them with a tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FH-q0I1fJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I had a professor sit down with me and show me exactly why home ownership isn’t the be-all-end-all because it has been driven into me that buying a home is your first step to being wealthy (its way more nuanced than that but I don’t feel like getting into it).

It’s still hard for me to wrap my head around how renting can be a better way to spend money than buying since you’re not building equity but we are going against 30 years of conditioning.

The house buying thread does a good job of pointing out why, but from my own anecdotal experiences, I've had to spend $15,000 over 3 years on maintenance expenses that don't add to the equity of the house (fixing aluminum wiring and a broken sewage line). I've spent another $20,000 on improvements purely for personal enjoyment or improving quality of life (new windows, new flooring, etc). During that same period, I've probably gained $20,000 in equity in my mortgage. So in terms of money spent directly on the house (and remember, I'm not including interest, insurance, or tax payment here), I've effectively paid $65,000 for $20,000 worth of equity, a loss of 60%.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 8, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Getting your parents to sign on to the mortgage is nothing new, but the airbnb thing sure is! Wonder if we could set up a car loan company where the lender has to use it for ubering people around.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Rescued kids now up to 6. :toot:

And here's a good illustration of how goddamn dangerous this is:https://twitter.com/kimguilfoyle/status/1015942105271799809?s=19

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Buying a house also makes waaaay less sense if you're only able to make the most basic of down payments and then make minimum payments on your mortgage. I still debate whether or not buying the house I now rent out was worth it, and the only reason it's still up in the air for me is that it's in a solid rental market (but not great selling market), and I paid the house off in less than 9 years. We lived in it for about 4 years, and it's been rented out the rest of the time.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

My parents arent on the mortgage but the only reason I was able to buy a house this year instead of 3-5 years from now is because my grandma had a sudden death and left my mother some money which she gave to help me with a down payment and furniture etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Buying a house also makes waaaay less sense if you're only able to make the most basic of down payments and then make minimum payments on your mortgage. I still debate whether or not buying the house I now rent out was worth it, and the only reason it's still up in the air for me is that it's in a solid rental market (but not great selling market), and I paid the house off in less than 9 years. We lived in it for about 4 years, and it's been rented out the rest of the time.

Buying a house to rent out is a pretty good investment, since the tenants are subsidizing the equity and you can write off basically everything. But boomers are specifically talking about living in it to build wealth.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Owning a house (owing money on it, really) has tax advantages for a lot of people, mortgages allow most people to take on a lot more leverage than they could otherwise, and primary residences are mostly exempt from capital gains. It's enforced savings which can be psychologically difficult for some people, which allows for additional stability and cash flow flexibility in situations that would get a non-saving renter into trouble.

Whether buying one is a good decision is very conditional. But it's worth noting that a huge portion of upper middle class wealth is tied up primary residences for the above reasons.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 8, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I kinda want to rent mine out a bedroom in my place since its pretty large for just me but I'm away for work a lot and I have a hard time trusting people, especially since people can be huge assholes without warning sometimes

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

gently caress. I'm being dead loving serious here, id the rescue op gets those kids out alive, I'd reconsider my atheism, because it will take devine intervention to get them all out.

The most heartbreaking thing that I thought of is that the rescuers arw going to have to triage the kids to determine the order of rescue. Can you imagine being in that situation? Not only do you have all that technical poo poo to get to them, but now you have to decide the order of execution, because in reality, that's what you are doing. gently caress.

Grim realtalk, almost sure they'll go in reverse order of size so they'll be less likely to plug the hole if they don't make it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Boomers need to die already.

Speaking of needing to die, goddamn Rudy Giuliani went on CNN and ruined my thai cave coverage with stupid bullshit. I loving hope he dies of a massive stroke while in the middle of a televised interview, so I can watch the misery and his realization that he's not gonna go out in a dress and heels like he always hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SEAL Team 6 can basically never talk poo poo again.

• Locked thread