Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Berzerker posted:

I guess I could go read the wikia for every episode. Just wondering if there is a basic summary or anything, if not oh well.

Basic summary of key events, if you really just want to read it instead of watching it.:

Navy returns, falling from the sky into the beach, and seemed to be really into the Earth, but is faking it so she could steal back her ship. She goes through the trouble because she wants revenge for how her and her sisters were humiliated multiple times by the Crystal Gems, she wants to Embarrass them back.

New Homeworld Gems, cruel Aquamarine and stoic Topaz, arrive to take humans according to a list that Blue Diamond had given her, so they could be specimens at the zoo - the list that Steven accidentally gave Peridot when they first talked. Steven traded himself for the civillians by claiming to be Rose Quartz not realising Lars was still on the ship, and (after a failed coup from an emotional Topaz attacking Aquamarine) was put on trial as her to answer for her crimes. His lawyer, Blue Zircon, did a good job, raised interesting questions that implied that a Diamond must have been responsible for Pink's shattering, and in her rage Yellow disrupted the trial and tried to poof everyone - while Blue tried to calm her Steven and Lars escaped using Blue's Palanquin. and met the off colours, Gems who had escaped shattering for being wrong in some way. These included Fluorite, a 6-gem fusion who reacts incredibly slowly due to how many minds are at work at once, Rhodonite, a really emotional Ruby and Pearl fusion, the Rutile Twins, a Rutile who was born partially split from the waist up, and Padparascha, a Sapphire type gem who can only predict the recent past. Lars died trying to protect them, and Steven's healing tears brought him back to life with the exact same properties as his Lion. He used Lars's hair as a portal home as it is now connected to Lion via the Field Dimension.

After a few months Lars is now a badass space pirate leading the Off-Colours on adventures while thumbing their nose at Homeworld to the frustration of Emerald, their arch-nemesis.

When Steven gets home, the entirety of Beach City is in the middle of a massive upheaval. After Dewey's failure as a Mayor to protect his constituents, an election is held and Nanefua takes office, organising the city like never before and even bringing the Crystal Gems in to consult on early warning systems to prevent this mass kidnapping ever being attempted again (this also includes Pearl getting a cellphone so she can send mass texts to the humans of impending danger). Sadie, burnt out after Lars' disappearence, quits her job and joins the Cool Kids in a band they form called Sadie Killer and the Suspects. They prove successful.

Connie is furious with Steven and it takes months in universe (although 5 episodes our time) for them to make up. At this point, in a friendly visit with Lars that results in Stevonnie crashlanding on a moon at a former completed gem colony, they start having visions of Pink Diamond's memories.

After a few more episode she Steven has another vision, this time of Pink's final meeting with the Diamonds and her eventual shattering, The one doing the shattering appears to be a distorted silhouette of Pearl. Steven confronts her, but is once again stonewalled. However, she loses her cellphone and takes Steven into her gem to find it. Steven sees layers of memories going further and further back as each Pearl takes him deeper, first to the shock of Rose's death/Steven's birth, then to the devastation of the aftermath of the corruption, all the way to her core - a memory of her and Rose discussing what they are about to do. Rose shapeshifts into her true form, Pink Diamond, and kneels, prepared to Pearl to attack. Pearl shapeshifts into Rose Quartz and poofs Pink, who fakes her shattering with rocks infused with pink flower petals to resemble shards of her gem, palms the gem and goes somewhere safe. Pink Diamond then reforms, but chooses a new look - she is now permanently Rose Quartz.

The latest arc is all the Crystal Gems unpacking what this means to them, with Sapphire initially freaking out hard enough to unfuse Garnet and upset Ruby badly. They make up, Ruby proposes so that they can be together, even when apart, and then the latest episodes happen.

At the end of the latest episodes the Diamonds have crashed the wedding and attempted to wake the Cluster, only for the Cluster to form only one arm, aned beat their ships into the beach with it. During this Blue opts to fight personally and is formidable, until her and Yellow knock Steven unconscious, and in a dream state, he sends out an aura out of sheer desperation that they recognise as Pink Diamonds. Now the diamonds and stranded on earth, alone apart from their former enemies, led by a sister so sick of their poo poo she faked her own death to escape them and protect Earth. Things are gonna get awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

TwoPair posted:

You're saying that like it's a bad idea

I most certainly was not! I need footage of Diamonds to live.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Maldoror posted:

So if I'm understanding right, there are 8 more episodes left to end the series?

nope
there's two episodes left this season, and we know next season is 32 episodes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Blue and Yellow Pearl hitchhiking on their way to find the Diamonds, somehow they end up doing a Thelma and Louise, and are caught by one of the Diamonds who asks what the hell they've been doing and then decides they don't want to know. Steven is told this by someone. Maybe Aquamarine was watching the whole time and thought it was hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually don't know how much specialty voice actors need to be paid. I've heard it's not as much as you'd expect.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pick posted:

I actually don't know how much specialty voice actors need to be paid. I've heard it's not as much as you'd expect.

There's a reason Opal only spoke in one episode and Sardonyx made a joke about having to pay to reuse old audio from Sugilite.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Pick posted:

So my dreams of a Diamond fusion voiced by Björk can still happen?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's a reason Opal only spoke in one episode and Sardonyx made a joke about having to pay to reuse old audio from Sugilite.

What's the reason, then. What's the actual amount.

I mean, you see them also voice-acting straight-to-bargain-bin DVDs that can't have a high budget.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
e.g. like according to a cursory search, Idina Menzel made $20,000 a week in the early years of Wicked about 10 years ago. Voice acting doesn't take a week.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's probably more of a schedule thing than a paying them thing. Except for Nicki, maybe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pick posted:

What's the reason, then. What's the actual amount.

I mean, you see them also voice-acting straight-to-bargain-bin DVDs that can't have a high budget.

I don't know how much they ask for, but I also don't know how much budget they have to work with. Chances are it's still a hefty price tag compared to the regular cast, so they'd likely limit spending a lot on voice work where possible.

If they have to do spotlight episodes on Opal or Sugilite I'm sure they'd just do it, but if they decide the money is better used on other things I can't fault them too much for that. If characters don't need to talk in an episode, they don't have to talk.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Priyanka's actress also did a very convincing Luponesque performance during that one dream sequence that one time.

And I heard that Holly Blue's VA does a mean Lupone impression.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like if Sugilite appeared again, her temperment would be wildly different. Amethyst has matured and mellowed so much, she doesn't have all that rage to take over, and even Ruby no longer is as frustrated about everything.

I'm not certain about both armships being destroyed (the blue one barely got hit) but if they need repairs, then it's going to take a while before the only gem who understands modern gemtech reforms.

And aside from that, they've got two arms and a hand to work with, there's got to be something they can build out of all of that.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
They’re gonna do a Voltron, right? Combine the blue and yellow arms with the pink legs, form the Cluster into a torso and then put Steven and pals at the top in a head-shaped bubble? Then go fight it out peacefully resolve emotions with White’s giant form?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
here's an interesting fact:
Reunited has someone nonstandard receive story credit (alongside the usual Rebecca/Matt/Ben/Kat/Joe): longtime Adventure Time storyboard artist Tom Herpich (known for episodes like Thank You, Goliad, The Lich, Puhoy, Lemonhope, Escape from the Citadel, Evergreen, Walnuts & Rain, Hot Diggety Doom, The Hall of Egress, Two Swords, and Three Buckets)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I also drew this last night with markers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Azza Bamboo posted:

Greg leaves to join Gem society, naturally.

Non hybrid Gems go extinct in 15 years

ApplesandOranges posted:

They really should just recast those two already

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Plant MONSTER. posted:

This is lovely.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I wonder how this show would have done had they not cast Zack "Voice of an Angel" Callison back when they started.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't know how much they ask for, but I also don't know how much budget they have to work with. Chances are it's still a hefty price tag compared to the regular cast, so they'd likely limit spending a lot on voice work where possible.

If they have to do spotlight episodes on Opal or Sugilite I'm sure they'd just do it, but if they decide the money is better used on other things I can't fault them too much for that. If characters don't need to talk in an episode, they don't have to talk.

You'd be surprised, if I remember correctly (And depending on the show, this was most common with The Simpsons) most of the time guest stars will actually take the industry minimum, since they don't need the money and often do it for their kids or because they themselves are fans of the show. In the case of Minaj in particular, she probably hasn't shown up again just because she's been incredibly busy-a brief glimpse at wiki shows that she's been producing music and touring pretty much non-stop the past few years, so it's pretty unlikely that she'd have time to stop in the recording booth for just a handful of lines.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 8, 2018

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

This is great!

I drew this last night too:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Final battle of the series is White Diamond vs. Earth's secret superweapon - a pissed off Sadie Killer in full zombie makeup wielding a giant chainsaw.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pick posted:

e.g. like according to a cursory search, Idina Menzel made $20,000 a week in the early years of Wicked about 10 years ago. Voice acting doesn't take a week.

No, but voice actors don't get paid a whole lot and animation is traditionally a really cheap medium to produce (which is why it's also home to a lot of really lovely stuff clearly meant to be pushed out for pennies on the dollar). Regular voice actors are generally paid an average of $33 an hour. Big names can be paid as much as twice that, and you can end up with contracts or unions requiring a minimum of 2 hours of payment even if the work only takes 5 minutes so you spend $500 on a single line.

For full animated films with celebrity voice actors, you can see salaries in the millions. Hank Azaria is paid an estimated $400,000 per episode of The Simpsons.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

White diamond is gonna be voiced by Shaq.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

No, but voice actors don't get paid a whole lot and animation is traditionally a really cheap medium to produce (which is why it's also home to a lot of really lovely stuff clearly meant to be pushed out for pennies on the dollar). Regular voice actors are generally paid an average of $33 an hour. Big names can be paid as much as twice that, and you can end up with contracts or unions requiring a minimum of 2 hours of payment even if the work only takes 5 minutes so you spend $500 on a single line.

For full animated films with celebrity voice actors, you can see salaries in the millions. Hank Azaria is paid an estimated $400,000 per episode of The Simpsons.

Simpsons is a huge outlier, however. Part of that is that it's the powerhouse against which any other TV animation is judged, and part of it that it's been running long enough for many, many contract renegotiations.

If I recall correctly, 11 minute animation blocs are usually around half a million apiece (averaged throughout a season). So it's not a nonissue if someone wants $10,000 for a line here or there, but that's honestly less likely than scheduling problems considering the lives these people live.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

They really should just recast those two already

Which would be so easy because they could do “our relationship changed so much WE CHANGED!” To make them just new characters

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

This is some A+ fanart

Please don't post unspoiled screenshots of upcoming episodes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What'll happen as more gems come to live on earth anyways? There's now these two giant ladies hanging around, and the off colors are on their way to Earth as well. And that's not even getting into the prospect of curing corruption. Greg's family only has (had) one barn, and all of the gem ruins we've seen are either death traps or well, ruined. The only building in good condition is the moonbase, which isn't really easily accessible.

Come to think of it, how was Rose supposed to go between Earth and the moon back in the day?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, how was Rose supposed to go between Earth and the moon back in the day?

Palanquin, duh. Rose wouldn't have needed to go to the moon, just Pink Diamond.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's also possible they just haven't had reason to use Opal or Sugalite's voices.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

BioEnchanted posted:

Basic summary of key events, if you really just want to read it instead of watching it.:

Thanks for this. It's not that I don't want to watch it, but I don't have a ton of TV time to myself to watch cartoons. The stuff was Lars sounds bad rear end. I watched a few more today anyway!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Plant MONSTER. posted:

This is really good.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

This show just seriously underdelivers on fusions in general.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

White diamond is gonna be voiced by Shaq.

T-Pain. He still hasn't voiced anyone

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/simpsonsfilms/status/1016061630587850753?s=21

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SlothfulCobra posted:

"I'll have us warped into the kindergarten at once, my diamond." said Pearl, from the scrying orb on the moon.

But the warp connection must be complicated in some way or may have been destroyed. Pearl says in It Could've Been Great

"There's a diamond base that may hold that information, but getting there is going to be difficult."
"How come?"
"Because it's not accessible by warp pad, and it's on..."
[the moon]

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 8, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I find it weird that Lion knows his way to the moon base. Pearl also knows nothing about Lion.

I wonder if Rose secretly looked back from time to time? Maybe she logged in to her old computer on occasion to check out the latest on the gem net

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Azza Bamboo posted:

"I'll have us warped into the kindergarten at once, my diamond." said Pearl, from the scrying orb on the moon.

But the warp connection must be complicated in some way or may have been destroyed. Pearl says in It Could've Been Great

"There's a diamond base that may hold that information, but getting there is going to be difficult."
"How come?"
"Because it's not accessible by warp pad, and it's on..."
[the moon]

Maybe it used the now-destroyed Galaxy Warp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Steven Universe good show.