Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, is this hasperat... replicated?

Hmm.

You know, I make a really good hasperat. If I had known we were doing Bajoran tonight, I would have brought some.

No, it's cool. This is, it's fine. Hey, let's have some of that kanar.

Hmm.

Is this...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*does the neck thing, smugly*

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Is that replicator energy locally sourced?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i only eat gluten free atoms

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Replicated kanar lowers your sperm count.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Epicurius posted:

Is that replicator energy locally sourced?
Yeah. The efarm that provides it has subspace neutal offsets, too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Cooking would probably be one of those skills you take up to liven up your Mandatory Federation Friendship Parties (like acting or trombining).
A novice would replicate the ingredients and put them together in a dish. A hipster would find ethically sourced Klingonian boqrat and prepare it authentically.

A real pro would figure out how to get the replicator to burn the dish.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McSpanky posted:

A real pro would figure out how to get the replicator to burn the dish.

Lol look at dis newb cooking boqrat .

Next thing you'll say you cook your gagh in some sort of new age Klingon-Italian style hybrid cooking. :rolleyes:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Come to Sisko's Authentic Cajun Restaurant! Slightly Different Food Every Day, Guaranteed (TM)!"

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I always saw Sisko's restaurant as like, people going to a colonial town to watch butter get churned and people make candles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Remember when Eddington tried to tell Sisko about real cooking lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FilthyImp posted:

From a bit back but it's impressive how quickly they mash that reset button at the end of that two-parter. The pre-credits wrapup is, like, literally Janeway asking how progress on DeBorging the ship is going, and how Seven looks mostly human now except for one or two Borg piercings.
All that dread over having to pass through BORG SPACE gone, too.

There's a quote from Bryan Fuller in The Fifty Year Mission where he says the writers were pushing to have Seven's transition take up the entire season, but Berman and/or UPN was adamant they get to "the syndication pattern" within a couple of episodes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's a quote from Bryan Fuller in The Fifty Year Mission where he says the writers were pushing to have Seven's transition take up the entire season, but Berman and/or UPN was adamant they get to "the syndication pattern" within a couple of episodes.

oh my god gently caress Rick Berman

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

There's not an :ughh: big enough.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Do you think Rick Berman looks at current television and is embarrassed about his work or do you think he's still way up his own rear end?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zesty posted:

Do you think Rick Berman looks at current television and is embarrassed about his work or do you think he's still way up his own rear end?

This is a man who continually defends These Are the Voyages and Voyager, so

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Astroman posted:

Lol look at dis newb cooking boqrat .

Next thing you'll say you cook your gagh in some sort of new age Klingon-Italian style hybrid cooking. :rolleyes:

Bath is se bed live, smooth head. Also, apparently Janeway could burn replicated food so bad she had to resort to pb&j. Which then burst into flames.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Would Ryan have put up with corset-induced hypoxia that long?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Platonicsolid posted:

Would Ryan have put up with corset-induced hypoxia that long?

Borg makeup was probably looser than the nonsense they had her in for the rest of the show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zesty posted:

There's probably a shitload of current tv execs and producers who still believe wholeheartedly in fully episodic tv, with no continuity. There's still a big market for 1)Show new show. 2)Show it once or twice in rerun in same time slot 3)Sell in syndication, show in afternoons/weekends/on cable

It's gonna take years before that gets fully broken by streaming, so they continue to make tv to that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Astroman posted:

There's probably a shitload of current tv execs and producers who still believe wholeheartedly in fully episodic tv, with no continuity. There's still a big market for 1)Show new show. 2)Show it once or twice in rerun in same time slot 3)Sell in syndication, show in afternoons/weekends/on cable

It's gonna take years before that gets fully broken by streaming, so they continue to make tv to that.

To be completely fair, there are shows that work just fine with zero or minimal continuity. Voyager's failing was that its premise works much better with continuity than without it. Plus DS9 is standing right there next to it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, TOS is a classic example. But it very much took space as allegory so each could be its own tale, like a collection of Aesop's fables or whatever. the crow that puts pebs into a jar doesn't have to come back when the donkey gets made king.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FilthyImp posted:

From a bit back but it's impressive how quickly they mash that reset button at the end of that two-parter. The pre-credits wrapup is, like, literally Janeway asking how progress on DeBorging the ship is going, and how Seven looks mostly human now except for one or two Borg piercings.
All that dread over having to pass through BORG SPACE gone, too.
I don't know what's worse....that or Unimatrix Zero making being assimilated no big deal now, thanks to some nonsense the Doctor whipped up in his lab

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There are lots of people who are content with the world view they stopped constructing in 1989, and they watch a lot of tv

Our dumb president is a daily window on tv's core demographic.

You think they want a serial drama?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Both serialised and episodic television have their niche. One isn't necessarily better than the other, and both have a place. The danger of serialization is making a single episode still be interesting and not just blur into the overall story.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Some of my favorite shows of all time I haven't seen in years. I haven't watched Breaking Bad since it ended, The Wire in nearly a decade, or stuff like the netflix marvel shows even I haven't rewatched. Contrasted to the fact I've even been known to throw on random episodes of ENT when bored, or watch a Law & Order episode here and there on reruns.

I don't think any of those shows are even close to something like The Wire, but I just can't jump in and watch an episode of that, or Breaking Bad or something. I love them, but I can't just go back to them without a huge investment.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tom Guycot posted:

Some of my favorite shows of all time I haven't seen in years. I haven't watched Breaking Bad since it ended, The Wire in nearly a decade, or stuff like the netflix marvel shows even I haven't rewatched. Contrasted to the fact I've even been known to throw on random episodes of ENT when bored, or watch a Law & Order episode here and there on reruns.

I don't think any of those shows are even close to something like The Wire, but I just can't jump in and watch an episode of that, or Breaking Bad or something. I love them, but I can't just go back to them without a huge investment.

Individual scenes hold up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBGzUhT-TM

All I want from Tarantino Trek is one, just one, scene like this.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

mllaneza posted:

All I want from Tarantino Trek is one, just one, scene like this.

For all of Tarantino's faults, if he does make a Star Trek, I bet you'll get three.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m this specific instance I suspect it had more to do with getting Jeri Ryan fuckable ASAP rather than their crusade against continuity.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There's surely nothing less Star Trek than Tarantino

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alan_Shore posted:

There's surely nothing less Star Trek than Tarantino

Michael Bay.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Michael Bay.

Even Michael Bay doesn't have gently caress tons of swearing and racist language everywhere. I'd love for Tarantino to challenge himself and try to do genuine Star Trek, let's hope he's up for the challenge.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Alan_Shore posted:

Even Michael Bay doesn't have gently caress tons of swearing and racist language everywhere. I'd love for Tarantino to challenge himself and try to do genuine Star Trek, let's hope he's up for the challenge.

I want to see Tarantino do a version of Star Trek IV with the reboot cast.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Did you see the placard on the hull? The one that says "Vulcan Soul Storage"? No, you didn't. You didn't, because it isn't there!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

For all of Tarantino's faults, if he does make a Star Trek, I bet you'll get three.

Did that race in TAS with three arms have three feet too? because I think I just guessed what exotic alien he might fetishize

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Michael Bay.

This is going to sound like heresy, but I think under the right circumstances, he could.

For instance, I think he could do a post-DS9 era movie (not with the original cast) that's basically The Rock with a bunch of Jem'Hadar holdouts.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Michael Bay made Transformers movies where the Autobots are as much villains as the Decepticons, no he wouldn't make a good star trek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

Michael Bay made Transformers movies where the Autobots are as much villains as the Decepticons, no he wouldn't make a good star trek

optimus prime rips off the head of a man begging for his life

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Tighclops posted:

I'm sure I'll be thoroughly disappointed but I have a tiny sliver of hope for the Bubblebee move where everyone is not an rear end in a top hat.

But I'm sure Paramount will see that does not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

One of his Transformers movies had a main character who carried around a laminated card explaining why he could gently caress his teenage girlfriend. Michael Bay is already a Voyager writer.