Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

necrotic posted:

Also probably the state laws since he bought from an unlicensed source.

and I mean, you're involving Bitcoin and the Postal Service in a transaction that you could accomplish with $20 and a stoner friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

I mean I'm pro legalization and all but your legal use case is a federal crime?

When ~30 states have it legalized I think we can laugh at old cotton laws. And no, I don't have to buy from a licensed dealer. :) Michigan isn't that lame yet. Our laws are catching up. We have a lot of grey areas that are trying to give legal definitions.

E: For what it's worth, I used my Mastercard for the previous 3 times I bought seeds, but I've since switch to AMEX and the company doesn't accept it.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 8, 2018

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Bitcoin's fundamental use case is you live in a modern industrialized country and want to remotely transfer money to someone else in a modern industrialized country and The Man wants to prevent your transaction. If any of that isn't true you shouldn't be Bitcoin.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

When ~30 states have it legalized I think we can laugh at old cotton laws. And no, I don't have to buy from a licensed dealer. :) Michigan isn't that lame yet. Our laws are catching up. We have a lot of grey areas that are trying to give legal definitions.

E: For what it's worth, I used my Mastercard for the previous 3 times I bought seeds, but I've since switch to AMEX and the company doesn't accept it.

Michigan doesn't even have legal recreational weed yet. Are they loving with the medical dispenceries? Everything I've found is that possession is illegal without a medical card for it, and usually growing is illegal in medical only states.

edit: found it. Medical users can Regis to grow plants. Neat.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 8, 2018

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah they are loving with them a bit. They had to pay a registration fee of $6000 which they all did, but they also have to have a state license to have their doors opened. They only have the staffing man hours to get 3 done a week and there are over 100 with their doors closed waiting for the state to just say, "yeah you're good."

I have a good friend who had to close his doors and he has three kids. He's worried that he will go through his savings before they let him reopen. For now he's looking into doing real estate again in case it goes on too long.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 8, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One-Fifth of Bitcoin is Lost

I'm sure this is old news to thread regulars and I haven't the faintest clue how valuable this person's insight is, but this seems, uh, problematic for the future of currency, eh?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Its even better when you look at wallets with less than the cost of a transaction. Unspendable money is real good.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Gobbeldygook posted:

Bitcoin's fundamental use case is you live in a modern industrialized country and want to remotely transfer money to someone else in a modern industrialized country and The Man wants to prevent your transaction. If any of that isn't true you shouldn't be Bitcoin.

The man measures inter-currency forex fees in percentages, so the related use case of "I want to do this and the man is fine with it but also wants to take an objectively massive cut" is pretty large. Like everything else, though, it's not well suited for Bitcoin specifically and ethereum/other crypto is significantly better at it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Yeah they are loving with them a bit. They had to pay a registration fee of $6000 which they all did, but they also have to have a state license to have their doors opened. They only have the staffing man hours to get 3 done a week and there are over 100 with their doors closed waiting for the state to just say, "yeah you're good."

I have a good friend who had to close his doors and he had three kids. He's worried that he will go through his savings before they let him reopen. For now he's looking into doing real estate again in case it goes on too long.

sounds like a pretty good scam to freeze out small business from the legal weed market, kudos michigan

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bust Rodd posted:

One-Fifth of Bitcoin is Lost

I'm sure this is old news to thread regulars and I haven't the faintest clue how valuable this person's insight is, but this seems, uh, problematic for the future of currency, eh?
This is the original good for bitcoin.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Nessus posted:

Ask your mom

If ghostty is the best thing that you've ever done with your body that proves his point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AARO posted:

I cashed out everything in January you clueless oval office. Now I'm enjoying not working.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What complete fiction. Nobody believes this. Get the gently caress out of here.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Lambo is real

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

One of my coworkers did a presentation for upper management proposing a blockchain-based product idea a little while back.

First comment by technical leadership: "BITCOIN IS A SCAM"

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

This was pure cynicism on his part btw - he's regular nocoiner scum. He was encouraged to propose something, anything, for political reasons and he picked that lacking any good ideas. :newlol:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bitcoin is a useless scam and pure speculation and I love that people are losing real thousands and thousands of dollars on it

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

Bitcoin is a useless scam and pure speculation and I love that people are losing real thousands and thousands of dollars on it

Most people who lost their shirts on crypto would've lost them anyways on other bullshit like lottery, just over a longer period of time. It's the dumbass tax.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I think the real question is 'what happened to Bruce Wagner?' Did he go back to Pattaya? We may never know.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doug Sisk posted:

I think the real question is 'what happened to Bruce Wagner?' Did he go back to Pattaya? We may never know.

He’s rescuing some boys from a cave.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Adar posted:

Look at the entire graphic. The definition of “investment” bitcoin in it is wallets active < 1 year ago; miners selling to cover their cost is a tiny part of it. Old miners cashing out was a much larger part but also nowhere near all of it.The poll you’re referring to was of the general public who, of course, had no idea it was a bubble to begin with. But even many true believers with tons of cold storage coins absolutely did exit on the parabolic graph or shortly into the mega dip. And in 2013-2016 the alt right was a huge net buyer of bitcoin second only to darknet druggies.

30 billion dollars in 3 months after virtually nothing for the previous year (or ever) is not just Bitmain.

Sorry but that graph does not confirm your hypothesis

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

People getting their feels hurt over buttcoins then posting the snarkiest poo poo imaginable will never not be loving hilarious.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Adar posted:

Goons: there's no way the alt right has made any money, this is all anecdotal
Also goons: bitcoin is all about money laundering

lol

Adar: *out on a football field urgently trying to uproot and move the goalposts*

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AARO posted:

I cashed out everything in January you clueless oval office. Now I'm enjoying not working.

I wonder if anyone actually believes this....

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

LethalGeek posted:

The poster named AARO apparently.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

LethalGeek posted:

What's so hard to believe exactly?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Harry posted:

Aaro is a loving retard

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Using my untold bitcoin riches to suck at GBS, get banned, shill bitcoin, and openly brag about how my weeaboo nazi buddies finance themselves with fraud to own the libs which is good for bitcoin

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Double Bill posted:

Most people who lost their shirts on crypto would've lost them anyways on other bullshit like lottery, just over a longer period of time. It's the dumbass tax.

*rereads zaurg thread*

Checks out so far

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Double Bill posted:

price.

Go.

UP.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Much like day traders, crypto traders only win. I'm actually kind of sad that the Zaurg thread is a counter example.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
buy price go up!

but... sell price go down?!?! nooooo!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Harry posted:

AARO has been caught in like dozens of easily disprovable lies between this and the old altcoin thread. You'd think he'd use his vast wealth to do literally anything else besides post in gbs but nope he even rereg'd just to self-own over and over

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

AARO has been caught in like dozens of easily disprovable lies between this and the old altcoin thread. You'd think he'd use his vast wealth to do literally anything else besides post in gbs but nope he even rereg'd just to self-own over and over

Add an asterisk to that "Vast Wealth" because Bitcoin Einstein's opinion on taxes was literally "They can't expect me to keep track of every transaction. So I'm just not going to."

Meaning he has until however long it takes the government to figure out he lazily paid probably 10% of his tax obligations because it was like, just really confusing and hard to pay attention to all of those transactions man.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814718&userid=75772&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

quote:

Im not doing all that poo poo. I've kept track of the total USD ive invested and will report and pay taxes on the total I withdraw over that original investment.

quote:

Some days I do 100 trades at 2476 satoshi 7598 satoshi and 100034 satoshi. Then the coins move up or down. It is litterally impossible to keep track of this poo poo.

I don't understand why total USD in and total USD out isn't enough to satisfy the man. All of the money is accounted for this way. Keeping track of every micro-transaction is ridiculous.

quote:

Anyone looking to evade taxes can use this site to buy and sell monero with individuals.

https://localmonero.co/

Bonus points, on that page he is convincing one of the goons he got into Cardano by saying they will "Regret it the rest of their lives" if they sell at $1.20. Months later he claimed he actually was so smart and prescient that he cashed out at $1.20 without telling anyone and him trying to get people to not sell was just because he believed in the project. He didn't suffer a loss at all and was actually very prudent and wise!

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 9, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Watching the news and I haven't seen anyone this excited about boys in Pattaya since Bruce was hosting the Bitcoin show.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Am I the only one who feels like Satoshi isn't a Japanese person because that name sounds like an American anime nerd person's choice of alias

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Harry posted:

When you sit down and do the math of what it would have taken to gamble enough to retire from bitcoin it becomes absurd. You had to have gone as deep as possible under the best of conditions. You had to buy aggressively with whatever pittance you had to start out with, cash out, buy in, repeat. Every one that wasn’t part of an exchange, scamming an Ico, or was already rich made enough gains to actually retire. It’s a sad pipe dream made up by idiots. It’s something you claim because you are dumb enough to believe it was somehow feasible.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Sickening posted:

When you sit down and do the math of what it would have taken to gamble enough to retire from bitcoin it becomes absurd. You had to have gone as deep as possible under the best of conditions. You had to buy aggressively with whatever pittance you had to start out with, cash out, buy in, repeat. Every one that wasn’t part of an exchange, scamming an Ico, or was already rich made enough gains to actually retire. It’s a sad pipe dream made up by idiots. It’s something you claim because you are dumb enough to believe it was somehow feasible.

The biggest hurdle, IMO, is not cashing out at something like 200%, 300%, 400%, etc returns and then suddenly having a change of heart during the peak. Using a modest retirement figure of $3 million it would have taken 175 bitcoins in January (note - completely disregarding taxes). Plenty of goons had that many bitcoins or more in the first incarnation of this thread, but presumably they were all lost/sold/stolen long before $1k BTC, let alone $17k.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 9, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Andy Dufresne posted:

The biggest hurdle, IMO, is not cashing out at something like 200%, 300%, 400%, etc returns and then suddenly having a change of heart during the peak. Using a modest retirement figure of $3 million it would have taken 175 bitcoins in January. Plenty of goons had that many bitcoins or more in the first incarnation of this thread, but presumably they were all lost/sold/stolen long before $1k BTC, let alone $17k.

The Isaac Newton definitely hit a bunch of people, but BTC actually managed to go from 10K-20K so fast (3 weeks or so) that not that many of them could physically buy in close to the top. Alts skyrocketed for about a month and a half, not that much longer.

What did happen over and over and is still happening was people who started out up an enormous amount from buying virtually anything in mid-2017 continuing to buy every shitcoin dip on the way down in 2018 and then using the excellent strategy of selling the shitcoins that went back up so they could "dollar cost average" all of their bigger losing positions. That particular story ends with thousands of rags to riches to rags ex-paper millionaires owning a lot of -95%'s. The worst one I've heard was a four figures to $3M at the top guy who had $200k left last week that is probably going to keep dropping.

Sickening posted:

Having said that, it wasn't -that- difficult to be hyper aggressive in 2017 as basically anything anybody did made money. The tough part was knowing when to stop. Even as a non-believer I assumed I'd lose 50% of whatever paper gains I didn't cash out in time simply because the market would blow up too fast to react, and that's pretty much exactly what happened; most people are probably down more.

However, since very few people deposited that much cash to begin with and today's prices are equivalent to roughly mid to late November's, the class of 2017 is still mostly up a giant amount on paper. I'm not sure how many of them have *actually* retired, but there are still tens of thousands of paper shitcoin millionaires around today, virtually all of whom started with very little / Puerto Rico alone has at least a few hundred early retirees and rapidly climbing.

Disclaimer: these are all anecdotes so none of them ever happened.

Adar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Adar posted:

Goons: there's no way the alt right has made any money, this is all anecdotal
Also goons: bitcoin is all about money laundering
im a fan of revision of past conversations but i saw one that went
goons: :raise: this is all actually negative-sum game
adar: but look at these anecdotes. real bitcoin millionaires

at which point it seemed like you had completely lost track of the conversation but youre right. everyone was actually saying no one ever made money off bitcoin

now youre apparently going to try to say "anecdote" as often as possible as though referencing the time you literally forgot how to argue is a point for you or something