Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

babypolis posted:

i mean dont get me wrong im super happy he won and im hopeful this could be a real turning point for mexico in many ways. hell just the symbolic victory of finally having a non rich white guy president is pretty good

but amlo was never going to nationalize everything and star seizing assets i mean come on

man even the rationalizations bring back that 2008 era nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

mila kunis posted:

man even the rationalizations bring back that 2008 era nostalgia

look you didnt even know who amlo was until like last week so dont come at me with this poo poo mila. i dont give a gently caress about you being a famous movie star

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
idk how after obama, syriza, pt in brazil, and repeated instances of centre left parties getting into power promising change and then working with elites to implement neoliberalism that people still can't see the writing on the wall

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

"people desperately need a win to validate their own beliefs," i say as i hang a giant portrait of xi jinping on the wall

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i think the fundamental difference between the dems and amlo/morena is that the dems have been a party in and out of power for the last two centuries, while the left in Mexico has been powerless since Cardenas, which i think gives them the potential to be more radical and less institutional. also amlo got such a mandate he can do whatever he wants. hes more likely to be a Lula than a Chavez imo, but thats still vastly better than another PRI or PAN shithead. comparing him to obama is dumb

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

babypolis posted:

look you didnt even know who amlo was until like last week so dont come at me with this poo poo mila. i dont give a gently caress about you being a famous movie star

im sorry im just a little jaded, i hope it doesnt actually turn out bad

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

R. Guyovich posted:

"people desperately need a win to validate their own beliefs," i say as i hang a giant portrait of xi jinping on the wall

lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-07-03/mexico-s-amlo-should-learn-from-brazil-s-lula

AMLO Needs To Be Lula But More Neoliberal

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good tip, learn from the man who is being put in jail. Purge the right and centre when you have the chance because if you don't then they'll eventually purge you.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soft leftists like Lula, Chavez, and Correa have all been coup'd and persecuted.

You gotta be stronk like Fidel

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
given that trump seems to wander from wanting to coup a different country every week this is probably the best time in american history to be a left-wing leader in south america because he's going to forget about you eventually.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the same probably goes worldwide tbh, Trump is gonna be the last American president to preside over American hegemony, he's managed to single-handedly speed up the decline process irreversibly.

it'll be more obvious following the tech bubble crash, which leaves a window of opportunity, where there is a global power vacuum, allowing regional powers to assert themselves again.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dreylad posted:

given that trump seems to wander from wanting to coup a different country every week this is probably the best time in american history to be a left-wing leader in south america because he's going to forget about you eventually.

It helps that Trump's entire government is more concerned with grifting as hard as humanly possible instead of actually implementing anything beyond baby jails to try to fire up the einsatzchudden

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

rudatron posted:

the same probably goes worldwide tbh, Trump is gonna be the last American president to preside over American hegemony, he's managed to single-handedly speed up the decline process irreversibly.

it'll be more obvious following the tech bubble crash, which leaves a window of opportunity, where there is a global power vacuum, allowing regional powers to assert themselves again.

he's permanently damaged it but I wouldn't rest on your laurels

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

he's permanently damaged it but I wouldn't rest on your laurels

yeah don’t underestimate the sheer inertia of decades of interventionist foreign policy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

yeah don’t underestimate the sheer inertia of decades of interventionist foreign policy

Well on the bright side the US state department is in shambles which will make US strong-arming even more ineffective.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
AMLO to Implement San Andres Agreements Signed With Zapatistas

quote:

The agreements were reached between the government and the Zapatistas in 1996 but were never implemented.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

gently caress yes lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:vince:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

nice

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

gently caress yes lmao

quote:

The EZLN has not responded to the latest developments. However, in a statement issued on Friday and signed by the subcomanders Galeano and Moises, the Zapatistas declared they don't support AMLO.

"They might change the overseer, the butlers and the foremen, but the owner is the same... at least the current illusion soothes that history of failures to which the foreseen disappointment will be added," it says.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hes right you know

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah probably

indigenous communes already exist in southern mexico where they run co-op businesses and charge outsiders for using amenities like beaches, so legal recognition and protection would be nice imo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

AMLO got his start as an activist for indigenous rights

https://web.archive.org/web/20041111041328/http://www.eco.utexas.edu/~archive/chiapas95/1996.02/msg00133.html

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think morena is a cool acronym :shobon:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone have info on the current prosecutor's office drama?

From my understanding, a bunch of US based NGOs have been pushing for an "independent" judicial office, but AMLO rejected it because he's not a dumbass who would give away his power.

Am I missing something?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Frijolero posted:

Soft leftists like Lula, Chavez, and Correa have all been coup'd and persecuted.

You gotta be stronk like Fidel

Easier to do when you rule an island

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

give marcos a position in the government imo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Frijolero posted:

Anyone have info on the current prosecutor's office drama?

From my understanding, a bunch of US based NGOs have been pushing for an "independent" judicial office, but AMLO rejected it because he's not a dumbass who would give away his power.

Am I missing something?

an independent prosecutor is a good idea that basically everyone supports

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

give marcos a position in the government imo

I unironically suspect he'd take it as an insult.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

look dude its a nice gesture and all but this isnt smart

If you become a martyr you never have to figure out a real way to pay for your reforms

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agnosticnixie posted:

I unironically suspect he'd take it as an insult.

not if that position is presidente of mexico :unsmigghh:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If you become a martyr you never have to figure out a real way to pay for your reforms

shut up jeb

THS
Sep 15, 2017

hows mexico doin

THS
Sep 15, 2017

hows it goin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

que onda

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Ezln wont talk to amlo, but thats cool tbh

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't think anything short of allowing chiapas to secede from mexico and become its own nation would make the ezln talk to any politician, and even then they'd prolly just say 'good now gently caress off'

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

san cris is turning into bougie hell and they probably need a cleansing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i went to san cristobal in like 2011 and aside for the one tourist street area it didn't seem that bad, has it changed a lot since?