Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Spellman posted:

It should be observed about Smash 4, that the price of the characters and stages together, even when purchased in bundles, costs more than the game itself. 7 characters and 9 stages cost more than the included 51 characters and 46 stages, and the entire rest of the game

Smash 4's DLC prices were one of the most brutal I've seen

It should be observed that in any free to play game, any paid content costs infinitely more than the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was also hosed up because all the dlc chars were extremely better than most of the cast, and they never balanced the game again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean....it's smash. So I don't really care. But it was pretty grossly overpriced for what you got.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

elf help book posted:

It should be observed that in any free to play game, any paid content costs infinitely more than the base game.

But Nintendo is particularly lauded for cheap DLC, which the only example of this I can think of is Mario Kart 8, which offered 16 stages, 6 characters and 8 vehicles for 12 dollars

So, not always, and Smash is still the worst example ever to defend

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Spellman posted:

But Nintendo is particularly lauded for cheap DLC, which the only example of this I can think of is Mario Kart 8, which offered 16 stages, 6 characters and 8 vehicles for 12 dollars

The other big example when that was going around was the 3DS Mario Golf dlc. Which they got poo poo on at first for calling a "Season Pass"

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

In Training posted:

I mean....it's smash. So I don't really care. But it was pretty grossly overpriced for what you got.

The characters were decently priced, as was the game.

Edit: Smash 4 is also the best Smash game in terms of balance.

Spellman posted:

You also can't compare a character in a racing game to a fighting game. There is more work that goes into the character for the fighting game.

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 8, 2018

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just to be devils advocate here. Fighting Game Design work is a giant bitch to do moreso then adding levels and missions for many games. Fightin games a giant pain in the rear end to make. Smash Brothers U is going to burn out some devs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In Training posted:

It was also hosed up because they never balanced the game again

Mario Tennis for Smash

Spellman
May 31, 2011

jetpackhewy posted:

You also can't compare a character in a racing game to a fighting game. There is more work that goes into the character for the fighting game.

Sure, but the DLC for Smash 4 is up against the content already provided in Smash 4, which is quite possibly single-digit cents to the dollar in how much actual content it provided

I'm sure there was some recuperative costs for a game that could only sell so many copies on such an undersold system. But I was burned paying $90 CAD for all the characters and stages for a friend at a LAN party recently, so I'm particularly irritated

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Thank you for pointing that out to SmartArse McFuckKnuckle there. In fact, I remember that the GameCube was the same raw dollar price in both USD and CAD starting the day that it came out, literally. I knew people near the border that went into Canada to buy one because it's the same NTSC hardware and, even with exchange fees, they saved a fair amount of money... and this was during a time when the CAD wasn't trading at 76%.

This kind of price differentiation for media in Canada and US goes back to the 70’s and 80’s with books. This was way before GameCube era stuff and it has retained itself because there’s no reason for them to lower the price if people are paying for it, and the population of Canada is a fraction of the US, but they have to ship these games to farther distances. The distance between St. John’s NL to Vancouver BC is like 1000 km more than New York to LA, and their combined populations are 780k (Vancouver and St. John’s) vs. 12.5 million (New York and LA).

There’s more that goes into the price differential of video games than the value of the dollar, and for a myriad of reasons going back to times before video games existed, let alone before digital media even existed, prices are different.

I understand why you are reactionarily flippant because you don’t want to pay more money for video games, but there are a lot more reasons for a price difference than “McFuckKnuckle” said in my first post.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smash 4 isn't a fighting game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s a dating sim.

Or at least that’s how I play Smash.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Clearly Smash is a visual novel.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I liked when Smash came with a goofy fun single player mode like the GameCube and Wii versions did.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cartoon Man posted:

I liked when Smash came with a goofy fun single player mode like the GameCube and Wii versions did.

I’m hopeful Ultimate will have one since 4 did feel weird without one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I feel like they'll have even less dev resources to spare for a single player thanks to having a million billion characters in the game

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Amppelix posted:

I feel like they'll have even less dev resources to spare for a single player thanks to having a million billion characters in the game

Then they shouldn’t call it Ultimate.

:colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it's called Super Smash Bros Special in Japan

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Amppelix posted:

I’m not expecting something like Subspace with a ton of cutscenes but I could see something like an expanded Adventure Mode getting in. Sakurai must know that people missed those modes in 4.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spellman posted:

It should be observed about Smash 4, that the price of the characters and stages together, even when purchased in bundles, costs more than the game itself. 7 characters and 9 stages cost more than the included 51 characters and 46 stages, and the entire rest of the game

Smash 4's DLC prices were one of the most brutal I've seen

Calculate how much it costs to get all the dlc if you bought Street Fighter 4 base edition and wanted all costumes/upgrades.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Smash 4 isn't a fighting game.

It's THE fighting game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

glad you’ve come around, IT.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Japan they call it Doki Doki Panic Ultimate

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Calculate how much it costs to get all the dlc if you bought Street Fighter 4 base edition and wanted all costumes/upgrades.

This is only applicable if you bought the base game. Capcom has since released SSF4AE which is a lot cheaper and includes most, if not all, the dlc.

Edit: While I do think the dlc is priced fairly, Nintendo could do something similar to this. Like discount dlc bundles for those who could wait.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

jetpackhewy posted:

This is only applicable if you bought the base game. Capcom has since released SSF4AE which is a lot cheaper and includes most, if not all, the dlc.

So, they put out a new release... with updated gameplay... and all of the characters....?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

So, they put out a new release... with updated gameplay... and all of the characters....?

Lol

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

SF4 and SSF4AE2012 are the same game.

Smash 4 and Ultimate are not.

Edit: In fact I have no idea what you are actually getting at.

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 8, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fremry posted:

This kind of price differentiation for media in Canada and US goes back to the 70’s and 80’s with books. This was way before GameCube era stuff and it has retained itself because there’s no reason for them to lower the price if people are paying for it, and the population of Canada is a fraction of the US, but they have to ship these games to farther distances. The distance between St. John’s NL to Vancouver BC is like 1000 km more than New York to LA, and their combined populations are 780k (Vancouver and St. John’s) vs. 12.5 million (New York and LA).

There’s more that goes into the price differential of video games than the value of the dollar, and for a myriad of reasons going back to times before video games existed, let alone before digital media even existed, prices are different.

I understand why you are reactionarily flippant because you don’t want to pay more money for video games, but there are a lot more reasons for a price difference than “McFuckKnuckle” said in my first post.

Again, there was rarely a price difference in the past and there's been no significant reason for that to change. The Canadian dollar is much stronger now than it was back in the 'cube era and the distance between cities hasn't gotten any bigger.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone tried out Pocket Rumble? I am curious about picking it up but would like to know how playable the online multiplayer is.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I didn't include any Mii Fighter costumes that didn't come with the character or stage packs in my examples, so I won't, but SFV has all their character and stage DLC unlockable with in-game currency if you do not wish to spend a premium to get that stuff. If you include Mii Fighter costumes, that adds another $50 USD

Over half the poo poo in the DLC was returning characters and stages (how hard is it to really dump Dreamland 64 into a game for the 3rd or 4th time), Lucas and Roy are, what we used to call clones—Smash 4 is a categorical fleecing for a consumer

But you didn't notice buying it piecemeal

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spellman posted:

I didn't include any Mii Fighter costumes that didn't come with the character or stage packs in my examples, so I won't, but SFV has all their character and stage DLC unlockable with in-game currency if you do not wish to spend a premium to get that stuff.

It's a miserable grind and no one has ever done this to unlock everyone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sfv is the worst possible game to bring up in this conversation since it's a 300 dollar game that also sucks rear end and nobody likes

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's a miserable grind and no one has ever done this to unlock everyone.

I haven't played it myself, I just read some posts on reddit that said they were playing 5 hours a week, and were able to keep up with the character and stage DLC, with Fight Money to spare

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Again, there was rarely a price difference in the past and there's been no significant reason for that to change. The Canadian dollar is much stronger now than it was back in the 'cube era and the distance between cities hasn't gotten any bigger.

From what I have been able to gather, NES, SNES and N64 games in Canada were $10 higher priced in Canada at a minimum. If GameCube games weren’t more expensive, it’s selective memory to say that it was anything other than a fluke of Nintendo’s declining sales.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spellman posted:

I haven't played it myself, I just read some posts on reddit that said they were playing 5 hours a week, and were able to keep up with the character and stage DLC, with Fight Money to spare

You get enough from single player stuff to buy a couple of characters and then that dries up and it becomes grinding for hundreds of hours in survival mode or winning literally thousands of matches in ranked mode. No one is doing this in 5 hours a week.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fremry posted:

From what I have been able to gather, NES, SNES and N64 games in Canada were $10 higher priced in Canada at a minimum. If GameCube games weren’t more expensive, it’s selective memory to say that it was anything other than a fluke of Nintendo’s declining sales.

It wasn't just gamecube, it was also ps2/xbox/etc. They've been at a similar price for as many generations as it's been higher, and again, nothing has actually changed in a way that would justify adding $20 to the price across the board

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

jetpackhewy posted:

Has anyone tried out Pocket Rumble? I am curious about picking it up but would like to know how playable the online multiplayer is.

The multiplayer is built on GGPO (surprising some people who seem to think Riot own it because they hired the team that developed it) so at the very worst it's going to be playable. I'm probably picking it up soon because it looks really cool and I like the Neo Geo Pocket Colour.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

You get enough from single player stuff to buy a couple of characters and then that dries up and it becomes grinding for hundreds of hours in survival mode or winning literally thousands of matches in ranked mode. No one is doing this in 5 hours a week.

If this is true, and you mix unlocks with real money purchases, than the price is worse than Smash 4 DLC, which is bad

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

It wasn't just gamecube, it was also ps2/xbox/etc. They've been at a similar price for as many generations as it's been higher, and again, nothing has actually changed in a way that would justify adding $20 to the price across the board

Market (number of copies sold) is smaller + shipping distance is longer = a reason for a commodity to cost more. Shipping a million copies of a game to NY through a direct hub flight like LA is a bitch load cheaper than selling 10k copies of a game to St. John’s through a less flown or driven (and longer) route. That alone is enough reason to justify a higher price tag on a game.

Go ask a person from NL, Saskatoon or Edmonton what they pay for chicken. It’s a large country with low demand and a logistical system that isn’t efficient, which drives prices up. The quickest drive from St. John’s to Vancouver is through America, if you are shipping anything via truck, and that entails 2 border crossings.

Edit: We have similar price hikes in the US if the location is Alaska or Hawaii.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got 11 characters from the first two seasons of SFV (Everyone except Ed) + Sakura/Falke from season 3 with the fight money I got doing survival with everyone on easy/medium and story mode stuff (and I still have enough for one more character) but they patched it so you can't get FM like that anymore

it seems like you pretty much have to pay now