Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Toshimo posted:

I think I know the answer, but why do like 90% of special abilities say "oncee per long rest", but a very few (like the drow innate spells) say "once per day"?

They all probably used to say once per day but then someone got worried that sounded too much like 4e. And then they didn't do enough proofreading to replace them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mendrian posted:

The slightly less pessimistic answer: Monster innate abilities are usually X per day, I think, so maybe it's an example of lifting something from drow-as-monsters?

Sounds like a possibility, since the only PHB examples I could think of are the Drow and Tiefling innate spells.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Some magic items like the Staff of Striking refresh "Every dawn", which seems explicitly distinct from "once per long rest", so there's precedent for there actually being a difference.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mendrian posted:

The pessimistic answer says, 'nobody loving looked.'

The slightly less pessimistic answer: Monster innate abilities are usually X per day, I think, so maybe it's an example of lifting something from drow-as-monsters?

There's also that "once per day" and "once per long rest" are similar but not exactly the same. You have to take a long rest to refresh the latter, whereas the former resets every day regardless. Depending on when (or even if!) you take a long rest, that distinction can actually matter.

In practice, they're almost always identical but there's definitely a difference between the two in theory at least.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anyone use the Zelda Encyclopedia as a resource? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to make stats for a lot of the monsters and equipment. There's also some good maps, and lists of dungeons/towns.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Old DnD frequently tracked abilities as 1/round, 1/turn, x/day, x/week, and occasionally by month or year.

Tracking rests is a newer mechanic.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

For the drow once per day stuff if your look at the errata it corrects it to "once per long rest" so yeah they just forgot to correct a few instances. More specific examples though I have no idea.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Azran posted:

Am I the only one who feels like the small races bench is kinda overcrowded? Honestly I feel like you could cut it down to just Dwarves and it'd be fine. This is a thought that come to me after realizing my players absolutely never play halflings or gnomes.

I'd be all for gnomes if their racial stat wasn't +2 int. I don't really have much interest in playing a wizard so that stat is kind of useless.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Why does no class have Con as a primary stat

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Unoriginal Name posted:

A very large failing, imo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Because Con is a boring non-stat that has no actual active purpose. +2 Con for a racial bonus would be an extra +1 HP and nothing else. Real exciting that. At least every other stat has a use.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Halflings just don't really come off as adventurers. Gnomes are silly enough it makes sense, but why would a halfling want to leave their community to go kill things (assuming the community didn't get destroyed while they were napping under a tree or something )

Heck, it's a recurrent plot point of Tolkien. A civilization that's tiny that in turn has a tiny amount of people ever interested in going more than the next town over

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If there was an int halfling on the other hand i would go for the halfling luck divination wizard with lucky though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I was looking at Warlock stuff and I'm still super disappointed that the Great Old One "Create Thrall" ability is more like "create friend you have on speed dial." Who the hell calls an ability Create Thrall but gives you no actual control over the person. They can straight up just tell you to gently caress off after you do it, you just get advantage on convincing them to do things, and they just can't try to kill you I guess.

Edit: Not to say it's not useful because hey having someone permanently charmed can be used but "thrall" implies "I'm mind-controlling you idiot"

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

In my setting I decided to play on the "good chill dude" thing by making the halflings the best at throwing parties -- they've got the best food, drugs, booze, dances, etc, so they might adventure to get money for more parties or to find a reason to party or to find a cool new thing to help them party.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I DMed for the first time on Friday using an adventure i made up. I used a puzzle the was basically minesweeper and they could detect how many mines they were adjacent to by using crystals that showed demonic symbols which lined up with numbers 0-8. When i ran it for my friends they stood on about 3 squares before they figured out it was minesweeper then worked out what symbol meant which number. After we finished i swung by the local games shop and they were short a DM for their DND night so i ran it again. For those people they never bothered to even look at the crystals despite them being the only thing i described in the entry way, then they tried to get through using trial and error by just running into squares at random then trying to heal the damage to map out a path. After i suggested they look at the crystals they decided they were useless because they didn't understand the symbols, so i made them roll a religion/history/whatever check then told them they were numbers. After a while one of them guessed it was minesweeper, but apparently nobody at the table knew the rules of minesweeper so they assumed that the numbers don't take into account diagonal squares so they had no way of figuring out what the numbers mean. At that point i flat out told them the rules of minesweeper and told them what numbers were what but since none of them had played minesweeper they still couldn't figure it out so i just skipped it.

Rest went ok, although i don't know why they would add spells that summon like 12 animals at once which apparently are meant to have their own initiative and actions. I ended up just making them roll them all as one attack roll which either hits or misses.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Puzzles are a bitch like that. You'll get one group who gets it and solves it without apparent effort, another group who will never get it no matter what, a third group who gets it but doesn't want to engage with it, and a fourth who decide to spend three hours bypassing it even after you tell them "if you hate this we can skip forward".

Because any group can have trouble understanding or engaging with your puzzle, it's a good idea to have a plan for that - like letting them make a couple of skill checks and then narrating them cleverly solving the puzzle (or if they fail those, narrate them solving the puzzle through trial-and-error and taking damage, or taking a long time and using up resources, or whatever other fail-forward thing would be appropriate).

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Unoriginal Name posted:

Genasi get Con as a primary iirc

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
sorcs should be con based, don’t @ me

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Novum posted:

Genasi get Con as a primary iirc
This is fair and you're not the first to respond this way but novum said "class".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kaysette posted:

sorcs should be con based, don’t @ me

Also yeah, this seems like the obvious choice.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

My Con-primary fighter ripoff simple caster, The Channeler is mechanically complete, just missing some flavor text and art (and proper formatting because I suck at indesign). It's been playtested a little bit. It works, but quite obviously isn't as good as a real caster. It seemed situationally somewhat better than the fighter it's based on.

e: Still very much in draft stage and mostly untested, here's where I'm at with a con-primary summoner class, The Demonologist

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 9, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've got a level 4 conjurer who's about one session away from level 5 (getting level 3 spells then.) I could use some input on picks.

Currently have Fire Bolt, Light, Mending, Toll the Dead, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield, Hideous Laughter, Unseen Servant, Expeditious Retreat, Levitate, Misty Step, Shatter, Web. (I have a scroll for Gentle Repose but will have to make a ton of gold before I justify spending on copying that.)

Our group has a paladin up close, a dex fighter and rogue who sort of switch-hit between ranged and up close, and a druid.

I feel like I planned on becoming a control-oriented wizard but we frequently find ourselves in situations where we need damage put out REALLY quickly and I end up having to do something risky with Shatter to burn down some foes.

At level 5, I feel like I gotta pick Counterspell being our only arcane caster. I feel like the other spell either needs to be damage that is more reliable/less dangerous to use or control that doesn't flop against brutes the way Web and Levitate do. Hypnotic Pattern is a strong option but also tricky to use, the way our group positions. Fireball is a great spell but doesn't address my needs.

Any suggestions?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why would you counterspell an enemy mage at this level when you can Haste your Rogue to stab them in the dick twice as fast?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Fireball is a great spell but doesn't address my needs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Why would you counterspell an enemy mage at this level when you can Haste your Rogue to stab them in the dick twice as fast?

She spends so much time at range that it'd get wasted on loading property of the crossbow. She's also the newest player, and while one of my goals is to make her and the other newer person feel like stars, I don't know if I want to do that by putting an obligation on someone. "Play this way and not that way" y'know?

I did save several lives by nearly killing our fighter with Shatter today. Dropped him to 5 hp but they absolutely would have killed him otherwise.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

She spends so much time at range that it'd get wasted on loading property of the crossbow. She's also the newest player, and while one of my goals is to make her and the other newer person feel like stars, I don't know if I want to do that by putting an obligation on someone. "Play this way and not that way" y'know?

No, no.

Loading interferes with multiple attacks on the same turn, but that's not how Rogues use Haste.

See, what a Rogue with Haste on does is, they use their Haste action to Attack, then their Cunning Action to Hide, then their regular Action to Ready an attack for a following turn with whatever easy to proc condition they can think of (my ally moves, the enemy attacks, etc).

So the condition happens, and the Rogue gets a whole new Attack, with Sneak Attack, and advantage since they hid.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The first player death I ever saw was from a dominated sorcerer who cast fireball at our own group’s feet. We spread out more now lol.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

No, no.

Loading interferes with multiple attacks on the same turn, but that's not how Rogues use Haste.

See, what a Rogue with Haste on does is, they use their Haste action to Attack, then their Cunning Action to Hide, then their regular Action to Ready an attack for a following turn with whatever easy to proc condition they can think of (my ally moves, the enemy attacks, etc).

So the condition happens, and the Rogue gets a whole new Attack, with Sneak Attack, and advantage since they hid.

Okay, that's pretty fantastic but I also don't really like telling someone "you're going to play this way, " which there's a lot more of with someone who still doesn't know a lot of the stuff about action economy. Like we could be landing a lot more Sneak Attacks if I was comfortable telling our Battlemaster "hey use your Commander's Strike more on our rogue."

I might just talk it over with her before we level: Hey I can get this thing to make you a beast but you gotta use it a certain way to make it worthwhile. If I take it, will you make use of it?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

CJ posted:

I DMed for the first time on Friday using an adventure i made up. I used a puzzle the was basically minesweeper and they could detect how many mines they were adjacent to by using crystals that showed demonic symbols which lined up with numbers 0-8. When i ran it for my friends they stood on about 3 squares before they figured out it was minesweeper then worked out what symbol meant which number. After we finished i swung by the local games shop and they were short a DM for their DND night so i ran it again. For those people they never bothered to even look at the crystals despite them being the only thing i described in the entry way, then they tried to get through using trial and error by just running into squares at random then trying to heal the damage to map out a path. After i suggested they look at the crystals they decided they were useless because they didn't understand the symbols, so i made them roll a religion/history/whatever check then told them they were numbers. After a while one of them guessed it was minesweeper, but apparently nobody at the table knew the rules of minesweeper so they assumed that the numbers don't take into account diagonal squares so they had no way of figuring out what the numbers mean. At that point i flat out told them the rules of minesweeper and told them what numbers were what but since none of them had played minesweeper they still couldn't figure it out so i just skipped it.

Rest went ok, although i don't know why they would add spells that summon like 12 animals at once which apparently are meant to have their own initiative and actions. I ended up just making them roll them all as one attack roll which either hits or misses.

Don't worry every GM (including me) tries this kind of puzzle once and it always falls flat in the same way. Either someone immediately recognises the puzzle and solves it, or nobody gets the rules of the puzzle and flails forever.

Bonus failure points to Crucible of the Gods which put a Mastermind puzzle in a room but only gave you six moves to solve it and didn't put any explicit instructions up - so both times I ran it the PCs wasted at least two moves determining how to make puzzle moves and that it even was a puzzle, making it impossible to solve.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CJ posted:

If there was an int halfling on the other hand i would go for the halfling luck divination wizard with lucky though.

Prepped this for a one shot soon. Gave him only area of effect spells. Will roll play him as blind. Custom background to get game proficiency: pinball

E:. Also in my setting halflings on land are cowboys and halfling communities at sea are Polynesian style wayfarers.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 9, 2018

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

xiw posted:

Don't worry every GM (including me) tries this kind of puzzle once and it always falls flat in the same way. Either someone immediately recognises the puzzle and solves it, or nobody gets the rules of the puzzle and flails forever.

Bonus failure points to Crucible of the Gods which put a Mastermind puzzle in a room but only gave you six moves to solve it and didn't put any explicit instructions up - so both times I ran it the PCs wasted at least two moves determining how to make puzzle moves and that it even was a puzzle, making it impossible to solve.

It went perfectly for my friends. They realised immediately that the runes were important, and moved through one square at a time. The set off 2 or 3 traps at the entrance which gave them enough info to figure it out, and the demonic font i found off google had a pretty obvious system to figure out which number was which once you know they are numbers. The only issue was the room was a bit big so after they figured it out it was a bit of busy work to actually map the room out.

Main mistake i made was that they were supposed to be extracting an undercover spy from a demonic cult, and when they found him he was actually a Maurezhi who had killed him and assumed his form. Unfortunately i messed up at the beginning and when they asked how they would identify him i made up a code word that he would know, so they weren't suspicious at all when they found him in a cage. Other than that the only other big mistake was thinking a CR 7 Warlock from the MM would be fine for level 5s, then when they got to him i realised he was statted as a level 17 spell caster so i had to pull punches real hard.

For next time i am thinking of having the boss cast Maze, but rather than it just be an ability check i give them one of these:

and 6 seconds to draw a line from the center to the exit and they take damage based on how many times they touched the sides. I got the idea from Captain Sonar, i think it will be a fun gimmick although it has the problem of being based on player skill rather than characters. That's true for pretty much all puzzles though, so if it's accepted that your character's intelligence is reliant on the player's i don't see why the same can't be done for the character's dexterity.

By the way, are there any interesting ways to challenge ranged fighters other than having melee guys get in their face? My original idea was to have the boss arena be a maze that would damage them if they moved over the lines but then i realised all that would do would piss off the melee, and as an avid paladin player i sympathise with them.

CJ fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 9, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CJ posted:

By the way, are there any interesting ways to challenge ranged fighters other than having melee guys get in their face? My original idea was to have the boss arena be a maze that would damage them if they moved over the lines but then i realised all that would do would piss off the melee, and as an avid paladin player i sympathise with them.

Boss arena has wind shears coming through at odd angles, like your maze walls. They aren't too hard to move through for a full size person, but they cause ranged attacks drawn through them to be at disadvantage.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

CJ posted:

I'd probably go with a Wind Wall set up like the Parasite Queen fight right in the beginning of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6SO2WMA7s, where there's only a brief window of time for ranged attacks to get through (maybe only certain initiative counts can do it? I'll leave the specifics up to you) but melee doesn't really have too much of a problem, outside of standing in a fairly fast-moving vortex. Perhaps, if you're feeling particularly devious, have the only real indication of the wind wall be some dust kicked up on the ground, that follows where the buss-type guy is moving.

Another concept that just came to me would be to have enemy archers/ranged characters/setpieces that specifically go out of their way to ready actions, so that way when a ranged PC makes a shot, they'll attempt to shoot the arrow or bolt out of the air, before it can land. Obviously, this only works in the one arena, which should make the players look to try and force said boss out of the area. Even then, I wouldn't have the countermeasures work all the time, but at least take the first shot out of the air, so that way the players know there's some anti-ranged bullshit they have to deal with.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

CJ posted:

I got the idea from Captain Sonar, i think it will be a fun gimmick although it has the problem of being based on player skill rather than characters. That's true for pretty much all puzzles though, so if it's accepted that your character's intelligence is reliant on the player's i don't see why the same can't be done for the character's dexterity.

When I run puzzles I will allow players to make Intelligence or Wisdom rolls to get hints or clues if they're having trouble. I think it helps to bridge the gap between a normal intelligence player and a 20 intelligence genius wizard.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CubeTheory posted:

When I run puzzles I will allow players to make Intelligence or Wisdom rolls to get hints or clues if they're having trouble. I think it helps to bridge the gap between a normal intelligence player and a 20 intelligence genius wizard.

Another way to show that the character is smart is to have 1 action = 1 + X "moves" of the puzzle. X can be the PC's int or wis mod, or half that modifier, or the average of the two, or whatever. Or if it's a "wrong move = damage" puzzle, then you can have a successful check (before the puzzle move) let them know that the move they've chosen is wrong and give them a chance to choose differentmove.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 9, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

They all probably used to say once per day but then someone got worried that sounded too much like 4e. And then they didn't do enough proofreading to replace them all.

I have a running Not Joke with my friends that the worst part of 5th edition is the editing.

"Where does it say prone grants advantage for melee?"
"The conditions section. Literally 100 pages after the combat section supposedly dedicated to explaining prone"

I've had some people honestly argue that it's okay the combat section only lists the movement, and not the combat effects, because it starts with "A condition described in appendix A". :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 9, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

quote:

Other than that the only other big mistake was thinking a CR 7 Warlock from the MM would be fine for level 5s, then when they got to him i realised he was statted as a level 17 spell caster

Wait, what?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Well he made a mistake. There are no warlocks from the MM. There are however in Volo's Guide this one in particular is likely what he is thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Long live Kender, the true halfling kings.

In all seriousness, I'm making one for a Dragonlance game I'm joining set in Taladas in the Age of Might. I found an old homebrew on the dndbeyond site that I think dates back to the early 5E playtests. I like what they did with the 'Kender Pouches' to just roll a d4 and see if you've picked up any mundane item you might want . I never cared to actually waste game time and player patience trying to steal stuff all the time.