Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

Their opinion must have changed at some point. Because I remember there being a big controversy when they cut a lot of that stuff out of the game in a patch.

This is what actually happened: http://skullheart.com/index.php?threads/skullgirls-pc-beta-updates-discussion.407/page-190#post-268947

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
One thing I've been thinking about with whatever I end up using is making each mech more reliant on a crew rather than strictly a single pilot. This definitely gives me some options to play with and I'm not likely to run this anytime soon, been moving, but I've been chewing on what system would work best for my M*E*C*H "the Korean/Vietnam War but with Mecha" game idea.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

One thing I've been thinking about with whatever I end up using is making each mech more reliant on a crew rather than strictly a single pilot. This definitely gives me some options to play with and I'm not likely to run this anytime soon, been moving, but I've been chewing on what system would work best for my M*E*C*H "the Korean/Vietnam War but with Mecha" game idea.

Subpilots are a thing in Battle Century G. They’re pretty simple.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Recommend me a system for Xenozoic Tales/Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Do we have a recommend me a system thread?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430847

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Splicer posted:

Pulp with ridiculous setting conceits is like, the whole point of Savage Worlds and Strike!, right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were setting this poor guy up.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs! That takes me back. I used to play it as an emulator on my older cousin's PC, as a wee lad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs! That takes me back. I used to play it as an emulator on my older cousin's PC, as a wee lad.

I used to watch the Saturday morning cartoon. :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Well, this is disappointing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kibner posted:

I used to watch the Saturday morning cartoon. :v:
Same. I got a burst of nostalgia and remembered it, and it's an amazing setting. The cartoon series is an adaptation of a comic called Xenozoic Tales which I have not read.

I need solid dinosaur combat rules and solid car chase rules and solid vehicle combat rules and solid dinosaur chase rules and I need all of them to mesh seamlessly within the same scene.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Splicer posted:

Same. I got a burst of nostalgia and remembered it, and it's an amazing setting. The cartoon series is an adaptation of a comic called Xenozoic Tales which I have not read.

I need solid dinosaur combat rules and solid car chase rules and solid vehicle combat rules and solid dinosaur chase rules and I need all of them to mesh seamlessly within the same scene.

Yo, Strike! with the vehicles mini-expansion does all 4 of those things. Meshing them together? No, not as in doing them at literally the same time. You can totally string them together in sequence, though. Like the dino cars have a vehicle combat, then the loser flees and a car or dino chase ensues, followed by a dino combat if they fail to escape.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the subject of chunky Ring of Red esque mechs, Fragged Empire just finished up a mini Kickstarter for a mech mini supplement taking place in an pseudo WWII setting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

theironjef posted:

Huh, really? I went looking for details on that and just found an interview with one of the designers running some textbook responses. All "It can't be overly sexualized, our lead animator is a woman" and "look, it's not a game about sexy woman. It's a game about women and some of them happen to be sexy" and "we didn't set out to put all the panty flashes in the game, those are just the logical result of good animation."

I'd say the second one is a valid point

fool_of_sound posted:

The basic Mecha flavors are gritty war, alien invasion, idealistic kaiju hunters, horror kaiju hunters, battle tournament, and Silly.

There's also a surprising amount of Fantasy Mecha series

fool_of_sound posted:

It’s also the premise of forums favorite G Gundam.

If anyone here hasn't seen G Gundam yet, they really should as it's amazing

theironjef posted:

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were setting this poor guy up.

To be fair although mechanically it's iffy, that setting is a good one from a fluff angle, same with DragonMech from the same company

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

what a coincidence

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/1015673888947298307

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Fuckin sweet.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

On the subject of chunky Ring of Red esque mechs, Fragged Empire just finished up a mini Kickstarter for a mech mini supplement taking place in an pseudo WWII setting.

That sounds perfect, especially the talk of combined arms combat, wish it was already good to go but some of the design philosophy will have to go into whatever I hack together.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So the Unity folks got back to me pretty quick and I've been reading through the PDF all day. I think I've found the next 4E-alike I'm gonna try to run, especially since it seems a lot easier to do with online play with, given 'players roll all the dice' and using range bands instead of grids.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

unseenlibrarian posted:

So the Unity folks got back to me pretty quick and I've been reading through the PDF all day. I think I've found the next 4E-alike I'm gonna try to run, especially since it seems a lot easier to do with online play with, given 'players roll all the dice' and using range bands instead of grids.
Sweet!

I can't wait for my physical book. I am really impressed by the PDF and hope he didn't blow his budget too big on all this amazing art.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

This should be in a museum.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
There a Unity thread yet? I keep hearing y'all mention it in every way but in detail.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cassa posted:

There a Unity thread yet? I keep hearing y'all mention it in every way but in detail.
I think we're waiting for there to be a good way for non-backers to get it.

e: But detail-wise... It's like if 4e and 13th Age had a kid, but the kid mostly took after its 4e father?

It uses a 2d10, players-roll-everything system with a pretty neat custom setting and interesting, flavorful classes. The guy did a lot of work, and it seems to have paid off.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 8, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

I think we're waiting for there to be a good way for non-backers to get it.

e: But detail-wise... It's like if 4e and 13th Age had a kid, but the kid mostly took after its 4e father?

It uses a 2d10, players-roll-everything system with a pretty neat custom setting and interesting, flavorful classes. The guy did a lot of work, and it seems to have paid off.

Yeah, this is the same sort of boat I'm in. It's kind of frustrating to try and talk about a game that nobody but Kickstarter backers really has easy access to at the moment. I'll say that of the currently existing "like 4E" games that are out there (not counting ones still in development like Let Thrones Beware) that it's probably the most 4E-like I've come across. Like everybody always talks about 13th Age as being a game for if you liked 4E but I've never found that to be the case, while Unity is actually very much a game that clearly descends from 4E D&D.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, this is the same sort of boat I'm in. It's kind of frustrating to try and talk about a game that nobody but Kickstarter backers really has easy access to at the moment. I'll say that of the currently existing "like 4E" games that are out there (not counting ones still in development like Let Thrones Beware) that it's probably the most 4E-like I've come across. Like everybody always talks about 13th Age as being a game for if you liked 4E but I've never found that to be the case, while Unity is actually very much a game that clearly descends from 4E D&D.
Yeah, I agree in all particulars. It's kinda like 13th Age, only based off 4e.

About its biggest departure from 4e is in its use of 13A-style zone combat. Fortunately there's a simple "so you want to use a grid..." section in the rules. I admire the desire for simplicity, and I very much enjoyed using zone combat in SotDL, but this is 4e-like enough that playing it without a grid seems wrong.

I'm going through it now, and one interesting thing I'm noticing is how a lot of attention is paid to mechanically pacing the game. Whenever the party rests, it increases a GM resource pool called Ruin. Ruin can be spent in a number of ways - from making bad poo poo happen, to nighttime ambushes, to powering nasty monster abilities. It's a neat idea, and seems appropriate for a game where the GM literally never rolls dice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think maybe they shouldn't have named their RPG the same as an ubiquitous game development platform. "Unity RPG" google rankings are not a battle I see them winning.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

I think maybe they shouldn't have named their RPG the same as an ubiquitous game development platform. "Unity RPG" google rankings are not a battle I see them winning.

It's not really my favorite name in the world either, no, but it's kind of a minor quibble. The bigger annoyance is the delay in getting it up for sale so I could at least drop a link or something whenever it comes up.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

There’s an official RPG based off of Twilight 2000, but yeah, something better has probably come out in the past 28 years.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
I remember there being some plot hook and other stuff generation tool mentioned in the irc channel years ago but I cannot remember the name of it. Anyone know what I am talking about :v:?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I got my copy of Unity yesterday and I didn’t back it. Just follow the instructions in Kai Tave’s earlier post. The author sent a PayPal invoice, then a DTRPG link.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Signed up for my first ever dnd game on roll20. In session 0 one of the couples playing introduces themselves by talking about how hot and skimply clad the gf's character is. And the bf is a pancake obsessed catman. Are they all going to be like this?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Saki posted:

Signed up for my first ever dnd game on roll20. In session 0 one of the couples playing introduces themselves by talking about how hot and skimply clad the gf's character is. And the bf is a pancake obsessed catman. Are they all going to be like this?
This is pretty tame for a roll20 LFG game to be honest. I've honestly been in a total of maybe two groups that I would describe as "not immediately awful" from there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Saki posted:

That couple seems cool and you are a dweeb for not thinking so.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Saki posted:

I hope the catman is named Dennis.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Saki posted:

Get out and don't look back. Tabletop games, much like video games, are infinitely better with a group you know than random people.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Saki posted:

Embrace chaos. Do unto them as they are going to do unto you.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

No get out. I had to play a roll20 game as a 'celebrity guest' for a con a while back and it was awful. Got stuck having to be polite to a dude who was playing a dwarf barbarian using her boobs as weapons that he called the "titty migraine." He also told me before the game to not worry about being g the guest or whatever, because he was the funny one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

No get out. I had to play a roll20 game as a 'celebrity guest' for a con a while back and it was awful. Got stuck having to be polite
See here's where the situations diverge