Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I too don't understand why people who dont play sports watch sports, or people who don't write read books, or people who have never touched a camera watch movies or people who can't draw look at art

Playing sport *is* better than watching sports. I don't really like either, but at least actually playing sports gets your blood pumping. Watching other people get fit is about as much point as watching someone else eat a salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure watching boxing is better than actually boxing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Lambert posted:

Pretty sure watching boxing is better than actually boxing.

Hmm, yes. Boring vs brain damage. TV wins.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BarbarianElephant posted:

Watching other people get fit is about as much point as watching someone else eat a salad.

You know that watching people eat things is literally an entire genre of video that is popular enough to have it's own twitch catagory (mukbang)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6V7zvUubQM

One of the defining factors of leisure activity is that it's nonproductive though.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Person doesn’t understand the appeal of competition or drama. Huh.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's possible to like doing a thing, and like watching videos of someone else doing the same or a similar thing. You could, like, learn poo poo from them and junk, or see that thing being done in a new area or whatever.

Pretty mindbending stuff, I know, but it can happen.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Kids are only allowed to play 1-3 hours of video games but they want more. Watching is the next best thing so really it's no surprise.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My hot take: smartphones are a vector for the modern day version of Tiger Electronics.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I was a kid my pediatrician's office had a sega genesis kiosk and one of the games in it was cool spot

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I too don't understand why people who dont play sports watch sports, or people who don't write read books, or people who have never touched a camera watch movies or people who can't draw look at art

A young boy watches a man at the demo PS4 kiosk in his local Walmart, playing through a single level of Uncharted, a linear shooter/platformer with hand-holding levels of difficulty.

With stars in his eyes, he thinks to himself, “boy, with enough practice, enough heart, and maybe a little bit of luck, someday I’ll be able to do what he does.”

The man continues to hold the stick left and mash the action button to make Nathan scurry along the mountain.

“What skill,” thinks the boy. “What technique.”

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

bloodysabbath posted:

I will never get the streaming, esports crap that pops up around mostly F2P stuff.

It’s obviously a popping business model all around, but goddamn it’s not even like “old people like THIS music and young people like THIS music.” It’s pretty much unrecognizable compared to the “here is a game you play by yourself on a system or PC for 8-50 hours and also maybe shoot some guys in multiplayer.”

My hot take is that it sucks and the old way is better. I could get it as a niche but I don’t see how watching people play video games and maybe donating to them for doing so became arguably more popular than, you know, playing video games.

Esports/streaming have very little connection to whether game is f2p, most of the big title cost money. Also it have nothing to do with getting a game instead.

I don't know did you just never watch your friend or cousin who really good at a game play when you were a kid? Is same thing, except also like you can watch a thing on crap machine while the player have top fancy machine with nice graphic. And esports people have professional commentator on top and all sorts of wrap around beside just game.

It funny that people pretend like kids are only going to want phone game forever. There is a lot that is just less fun to play on phone because of the interface even if there. Because game controller or mouse keyboard is much better for most of popular phone game that are also on other thing. That why even if kid like playing fortnight on phone, guy he watch play fortnight as well play on PC. Kid would play on PC or console if parents were going to spend that money for him, but for now he just use Dad's old phone because it don't matter much if kid breaks it, and is basically free.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There are games out there that look fun but suck to play and I will happily watch someone else suffer for the sake of my pleasure.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Kids are only allowed to play 1-3 hours of video games but they want more. Watching is the next best thing so really it's no surprise.

I've found that as I descend into early middle age, I'm on the opposite side of it. With the very rare exception such as when Terraria first come out some years ago, I can't play a video game or several video games for a long period of time anymore before I want to do something else. As I find myself with a surplus of free time and a shortage of money, I could really use inexpensive hobbies and my ludicrous collection of video games would really fit the bill. Nevertheless, I just can't play video games for hours at a stretch, but I find watching LPs and speedruns strangely soothing at times. I don't admire people who are very good/fast at games, nor do I admire people who are good at football (either kind) or any sport, but I am willing to watch people play and enjoy the excitement, drama and humour with them.

To put it another way, I admire the mission behind SGDQ and AGDQ and that people give so generously, but I'm not impressed that you can KO Mike Tyson in the first round or whatever it is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a coworker who watches video game streams as his only hobby aside from “owning an Audi” and he’s the most miserable fucker I know.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

All of these games have stuff from previous things in them (like the Jurassic World game covers all four movies, Ninjago has stuff from the series and previous DTV movies), but that's been more what they're about for a while now, them moving away from games called LEGO [Specific Movie Name] and more of their own stuff like LEGO Universe and Ninjago which are sort of no-brainers since it's not like they have to strike a deal with someone else to do them.

The Lego games are also what I would call an affectionate parody rather than a straight tie-in. They succeed by having a sense of humor more than on straight gameplay.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Esports/streaming have very little connection to whether game is f2p, most of the big title cost money.

This seems like a strange claim when the top 2 esports games ( by a LARGE margin, for a LONG time) are both f2p.

Edit: And the top 2 most popular streams are also f2p games.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Playing sport *is* better than watching sports. I don't really like either, but at least actually playing sports gets your blood pumping. Watching other people get fit is about as much point as watching someone else eat a salad.
And yet watching sports is nonetheless a billion-dollar industry, so the point still stands. To the point where sportswatching is so ingrained in our culture that people have been using it as a medium for protest. So, regardless of how much more fun playing sports/video games are, watching them be played isn’t really that strange.

Although I admit I don’t “get” twitch when YouTube can provide curated content that just shows off the weird or skilled moments. I imagine for a lot of people streams are just background noise.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 9, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pants Donkey posted:

And yet watching sports is nonetheless a billion-dollar industry, so the point still stands.

Although I admit I don’t “get” twitch when YouTube can provide curated content that just shows off the weird or skilled moments. I imagine for a lot of people streams are just background noise.

I have a niece like that, like she loves Undertale and a bunch of other game she's never played because game streams are her background noise while doing whatever. It's not any different from and adult having some light TV series that they're into on while doing a chore or working on whatever other stuff.

I don't "get" it personally either but I get why people are into it. Personally I'll always see games+socialization as playing a game with some friends in the same room or playing online with a group that's not random folks. Hearing some folks talk about a game on a podcast or streaming it does nothing for me.

Especially as I get older, and like someone posted earlier as adults we don't have any possibility of a parental figure limiting our gaming time, I'd much rather spend free time I have playing a game myself than hearing what someone else has to say about it. But realistically I don't think a lot of people JUST watch a stream, it's their background noise instead of having reruns of a TV show on.

One really interesting thing the popularity of streaming games has had though is the number of cheap games that you can tell were very blatantly made to give streamers a lot of material to work with in a short burst like the joke ______ Simulator games and stuff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It really seems impossible to make this a mystery unless someone is faking themselves not understanding it because they don't personally like it.

Why would a kid watch a competitive game? Adults watch competitive games including non-sports games like poker
Why would a kid watch a story based game? Adults watch story based media too.
Why would a kid watch a streamer who talks about game or non game related topics? Adults watch talk shows and listen to podcasts too.

Like pewdiepie or ninja seem absolutely unbearable to me but literally nothing about them seems mysterious, I'm not a little kid so none of their dumb stuff lands for me, but it's weird to pretend they are doing something strange. all the streamer stuff has super clear equivalents in serious adult media.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Playing sport *is* better than watching sports. I don't really like either, but at least actually playing sports gets your blood pumping.
Ok, sure, I can go golfing with some buddies or hit a pickup game for fun. Amazing stuff.
Then I can go watch some guys hit impossible drives and make impossible plays because that's also enjoyable.

Similarly, I can go online and punch people in Street Fighter, and I can watch some guy run through a few characters and do poo poo I don't have the time/skill to learn to do.

Why is this hard to grasp?

//It's also worth noting that there's a lot of streamer "styles" out on twitch. So you can get spastic Pewds guys, Kaceytron tittystreamers/personalities, overreacting Markipliers, and dudes that just show off technical skills or walk through games.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 9, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I personally prefer chill console challenge streamers these days: they make nice background noise, and when I do pay attention, I can watch someone play crappy old games to completion and make low-key snarky comments about said crappy games with them and their chat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The internet basically means there's almost infinite room for a new ecosystem to grow and people are constantly finding or establishing new niches. But I don't think kids are necessarily abandoning playing video games en masse to watch other people play them, it's not like sales are down. Watching people play games is cheaper than buying them. (and less effort, since the kids are likely watching people who are a lot better at games than they are, and/or have the patience and spare time the kids don't)

Similiar, f2p phone games are popular not because they're good but because they're free and accessible. Most of the people who get really into them aren't necessarily people who'd be buying games consoles or building gaming PCs. (though as mentioned, Nintendo at least is trying to wean Pokemon Go players onto the Switch)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PT6A posted:

It's possible to like doing a thing, and like watching videos of someone else doing the same or a similar thing.

In Norway we had show on the norwegian equivalent of BBC that was just people sitting on a couch watching tv. It was even named Couch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Norway also has slow TV or whatever it is called, where a show is 10 hours of raw footage of a thing happening. So Couch makes sense.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

bloodysabbath posted:

A young boy watches a man at the demo PS4 kiosk in his local Walmart, playing through a single level of Uncharted, a linear shooter/platformer with hand-holding levels of difficulty.

With stars in his eyes, he thinks to himself, “boy, with enough practice, enough heart, and maybe a little bit of luck, someday I’ll be able to do what he does.”

The man continues to hold the stick left and mash the action button to make Nathan scurry along the mountain.

“What skill,” thinks the boy. “What technique.”

Back in the arcade days, this was a common scene.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1017129075448729600?s=19

In Sears Death Watch news.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I cannot wait till they finally transform in to chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You know that watching people eat things is literally an entire genre of video that is popular enough to have it's own twitch catagory (mukbang)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6V7zvUubQM
That is a lot of salad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
49% of all transactions on the internet are now made on Amazon.com.

5% of all purchases in the United States are made on Amazon.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/13/amazons-share-of-the-us-e-commerce-market-is-now-49-or-5-of-all-retail-spend/

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

49% of all transactions on the internet are now made on Amazon.com.

5% of all purchases in the United States are made on Amazon.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/13/amazons-share-of-the-us-e-commerce-market-is-now-49-or-5-of-all-retail-spend/

nationalize it u cucks

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

This is a super weird interpretation of watching sports. Nobody playing professional sports is "getting fit" as a result of anything that you're watching, unless for some reason you're watching a ton of training. Hell, most professional athletes only need to be in good shape in really odd and hyper specific ways that are meaningless or even counterproductive for everyday health. People watch sports to watch the game, which is exactly why esports has taken off disturbingly quickly. Sports and esports are basically interchangeable when it comes down to the reasons that people actually watch them.

I mean, people watch bowling. People watch golf.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

This is a super weird interpretation of watching sports. Nobody playing professional sports is "getting fit" as a result of anything that you're watching, unless for some reason you're watching a ton of training. Hell, most professional athletes only need to be in good shape in really odd and hyper specific ways that are meaningless or even counterproductive for everyday health. People watch sports to watch the game, which is exactly why esports has taken off disturbingly quickly. Sports and esports are basically interchangeable when it comes down to the reasons that people actually watch them.

I mean, people watch bowling. People watch golf.

It reminds me of that weird genre of kid YouTube videos which is basically just kids playing with toys. Instead of playing with toys, your kid watches other kids play with toys.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

I am confused. Minecraft and Fortnight are usually more complete on console or PC or both. There is just odd hiccup where some update are a bit early on phone. Even until recently, Minecraft mobile was much reduced in comparison of console and PC. Meanwhile 5 night at freddy game have exact same content on PC as on phone, but is very small games. Cannot think of any notable phone game with abbreviated version on console, just those that don't have console version, but who need console version when 99% are the same basic puzzle games with different brand.

Gamer obsession over AAA is very weird. Always there have been and still are plenty of game with relatively small budget on console and PC without being so called indie or mobile. It seems of some gamers just so loud about it that people truly believed no game gets made between 1000$ budget and 1 billion$ budget anymore. I think LEGO game get big budget anyway, there is quite a lot in them including now lot of voice acting directly.

While what OOCC said was kind of dumb, Minecraft and Fortnite definitely aren't gimped on mobile.

Minecraft sorta seems that way, but only because the mobile version is the "Bedrock" or "Better Together" version, meaning it's at parity with the Windows 10 version and current console versions (and can even play on the same servers), but not quite with the original Java version.

Fortnite is straight up the same game on every platform and just kinda looks like rear end on phones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

While what OOCC said was kind of dumb, Minecraft and Fortnite definitely aren't gimped on mobile.

Minecraft sorta seems that way, but only because the mobile version is the "Bedrock" or "Better Together" version, meaning it's at parity with the Windows 10 version and current console versions (and can even play on the same servers), but not quite with the original Java version.

Fortnite is straight up the same game on every platform and just kinda looks like rear end on phones.

I'm not going to believe that unless people are able to use their mouse on mobile Fortnite somehow. Every single one of the few times keyboard+mouse users are up against controller users in a FPS, the controller users get utterly destroyed. I can't imagine touchscreens being anything but even worse.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I say until recent for reason, phone game of Minecraft go up to console/PC level only in September last year. Until then, quite significant loss of function against most other version. Was still popular game there of course.

You are not playing same game when you fumble around with touchscreen control and lower graphics on multiplayer FPS title as you are with good controls and higher render quality. Do you recall of when you could play Quake III game on Dreamcast with PC user? Most DC player not have DC keyboard and mouse, thus stuck to single analog stick DC gamepad. Needless to say, they suffered much against PC player and in general need to play differently even among themselve.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

It reminds me of that weird genre of kid YouTube videos which is basically just kids playing with toys. Instead of playing with toys, your kid watches other kids play with toys.
We hook into your child’s mirror neurons and pass the savings on to you!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not going to believe that unless people are able to use their mouse on mobile Fortnite somehow. Every single one of the few times keyboard+mouse users are up against controller users in a FPS, the controller users get utterly destroyed. I can't imagine touchscreens being anything but even worse.

There's no mouse aiming, but you don't have to use the touchscreen on Fortnite, AFAIK- last I heard (the mobile version hasn't hit Android yet that I know of) they implemented gyro aiming, like on Nintendo Switch shooters.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Year so far in review:
https://twitter.com/Fardeen12O/status/1018053731705761792

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Not impressed that Sears, JCPenneys and Barnes & Noble have failed to join Geoffrey in being eliminated from the rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
This is apropos of nothing, but apparently there are three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US, of which the two in Alaska have announced that they are closing. Apparently the one in Bend, Oregon is still doing fine, somehow.