Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

After his initial set back I put my hopes at August for Yu to return. Honestly at this point, just get him back in time for 3-4 games before the playoffs because we're going to need someone to start besides Lester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My worry is that he doesn't return by the trade deadline and then has another potentially season ending setback, and the Cubs are up poo poo creek. A playoff rotation of Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, and one of Montgomery/Chatwood... doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/MiLB/status/1015055352554049537

Some dude on the Smokies with an awesome name had a huge day.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I spent the Tigers series at Wrigley, and that was a great time.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Ok so I want a signed ball. Any of the current roster minus a few. What would be the best way to get one. I live in Japan.

Edit

Is $150-300 really the going price for these things. :negative:

Even a Chris Coghlan is like $20

I would take a non verified ball even.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 6, 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
CJ reactivated and Maples sent back down :woop:

Rob Z off the DL and sent back down as well.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oscar de la Cruz suspended 80 games.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
even though Jason Heyward flied out to end the game, I think that was an 184 million dollar at bat right there

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Poque posted:

Oscar de la Cruz suspended 80 games.

do we even want degenerate junkies on the team

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Huh. Apparently “Rookie of the Year” was released 25 years ago, which is about the Cubs being so desperate for a good pitcher, they signed a 12 year old with a freak medical condition

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would like to discuss Tyler Chatwood in a rational manner with my fellow Cub fans.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

I would like to discuss Tyler Chatwood in a rational manner with my fellow Cub fans.

Edwin Jackson him, trade some minor league pieces for a JA Happ rental, hope Smyly comes back strong and can slot into the rotation next year.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Burn the wood.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Justin Wilson him and stick him in the bullpen only to be used for mop up duty.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Randy Rosario has been loving amazing, particularly considering the Cubs apparently picked him up off the scrapheap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Post about Javy loving Baez here

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

honestly, i thought the ceiling on baez was that he would hit some moonshots dingers and do cool poo poo on the basepaths and on defense but be so unable to get on base that he would be a net negative but he is legitimately really really good and i'm very happy about that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Everything I hear from people who work closely with players is that Javy is genuinely nice and awesome and I'm so happy he is having a great season

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/StartKyleOrton/status/1015713723087015937?s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no pitcher has been able to get randy rosario out this season

@startkyleorton

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Javier "Mike Trout" Baez

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Beaz is legit on pace for a 30/30 season.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Baez owns.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

no pitcher has been able to get randy rosario out this season

@startkyleorton

He used to run a Bears Blog that started during the Rex vs Orton years.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
rare childhood video of javy baez

https://i.imgur.com/bVo6JPi.mp4

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

He used to run a Bears Blog that started during the Rex vs Orton years.

Kyle Orton would have won.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Oh boy! Another wood experiment! :shepicide: https://twitter.com/cubs/status/1015987423875133440?s=21

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

HootTheOwl posted:

Kyle Orton would have won.

He DID win.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Before today's game Bote was slashing .273/.366/.424 with 106 wRC+. Today he was 1-1 with a walk after entering late.

Obviously it's not peak Bryant levels of production but he's been a solid as hell callup while Bryant's been on the DL.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Before today's game Bote was slashing .273/.366/.424 with 106 wRC+. Today he was 1-1 with a walk after entering late.

Obviously it's not peak Bryant levels of production but he's been a solid as hell callup while Bryant's been on the DL.

Here's the funny thing about Bote: drafted 14 picks ahead of Matt Duffy. In the 18th round. That's one hell of an 18th round.

https://baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2012&draft_round=18&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

And the Reds drafted a pitcher who is on their roster as a reliever/swingman.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/UofDWayne/status/1016486160380686336

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cubs should maybe play Rizzo less. I'm not really kidding. He's been real bad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hi I was at tonight's game sitting like 3 rows behind the visitors dugout, and started yelling at the back of Joe's head that it was a bad idea to leave Cishek in to face Belt, then screamed "I told you so!" at him after Belt's single. He did not react either time but I am satisfied at having gotten the chance to shitpost about Joe's awful pitching management in real life, to his face the back of his head.

Also there were two Giants fans right in front of me who refused to believe me when I told them that was actually Hendricks' fastball coming in at 86, not his changeup. Like stone cold told me I was wrong because fastballs aren't that slow in the majors so he must be throwing nothing but changeups.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Niwrad posted:

He needs Bryant back.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Glad I went to bed before last night's game ended.

The Cubs are now 1-10 in 1-run games on the road :shepicide:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Unless I'm missing something, I think what was brought up in the thread is still valid: there's either just a small adjustment that he needs to make or it's just bad luck. BABIP and HR/FB ratio are way off so he's either just missing his mark or it's just bad luck.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

tadashi posted:

Unless I'm missing something, I think what was brought up in the thread is still valid: there's either just a small adjustment that he needs to make or it's just bad luck. BABIP and HR/FB ratio are way off so he's either just missing his mark or it's just bad luck.

He's been bad defensively too.

I'm not saying bench the guy completely or anything. Maybe just give him some more days off since guys like Happ and Zobrist have been much better. Also he needs to move down in the order. Can't have him getting more at-bats than some of the good hitters.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Move him to sixth. Bryant heats up then he can go back to third.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mister Holland's OPS

JD thinks he's a real comedian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I very much love that somebody clearly told Javy that he should try to steal more near the beginning of June and now it's like his only goal in life

He's at 17-17, we haven't had a 20-20 player since Corey Patterson in 2004.

• Locked thread