Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Weird. Why are all of your screenshots super bright / washed out? For a sec, I thought my monitor's gamma/brightness was turned all the way up.. until I scrolled back up and saw some screenshots with normal brightness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

They always come out that way and I don't know why.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started playing again for the first time in like a year. The most notable event so far after a day of playing is a pack of puppies moved into my colony and I have them hauling all sorts of junk and food around my colony, I.E. the human flesh I turn into nutrient paste to feed my prisoners.

So cute yet efficient!

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Why can't monkeys haul stuff around?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Media Bloodbath posted:

Why can't monkeys haul stuff around?

They're too smart to get tricked into drudge labour training.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I mean, they should even be able to at least go harvest coconuts for you.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Of all the nitpicky stuff tynan has done I'm really suprised the weather is still hosed up.

Snowing at 10 C, and raining at -7 is really weird

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Salean posted:

Of all the nitpicky stuff tynan has done I'm really suprised the weather is still hosed up.

Snowing at 10 C, and raining at -7 is really weird

Heat waves that hit 50 C in a forest.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Keeshhound posted:

Heat waves that hit 50 C in a forest.

None of the 'forests' in this game are actual forests. They're more like plains with scattered trees.

I wish we could get an actual forest biome.

Even the jungles don't have the tree density of a forest.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The pathing would be awful, and a large map that everyone wants to play on would be ultra cheese for all raids... until the first fire, which wipes out every single tree and all of a sudden you're playing on an arid biome, essentially.

More trees would be nice, but you'd have to tweak so many things to make it work I think.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ambaire posted:

None of the 'forests' in this game are actual forests. They're more like plains with scattered trees.

All the same, a temperate coastal climate hitting 50 degrees every year and not once in every five hundred is pretty jank

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hi! I bought this game during the Steam sale about a a week and a half ago and--

:stare:

Well, uh, thanks to all in the Steam sale thread for suggesting it! Anyway, I have a question about mods. My second colony's monkey had her leg destroyed during mortal combat while defending our base from a raid, and I'm dismayed to learn that I can't get her the hero's peg leg she deserves. Is there a mod to give prosthetics to animals, or where should I start looking first? The Steam mod workshop. Actually, I've never installed a mod through Steam before, the last time I ever installed one was for...I think Dragon Age 1. I assume it's easy through Steam, but I'd be grateful for a little direction. Thanks!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
It's pretty easy - Rimworld modding is pretty robust in that it's hard to break the game or make anything weird happen. All you gotta do is subscribe to the mod in Steam, then once it downloads, run Rimworld and activate it from the Mods menu. Mods are loaded top to bottom based on the list in the Mods menu, so you just need to make sure critical mods (stuff like HugsLib and etc.) get loaded first. If you have Mod B that depends on Mod A, make sure Mod A is closer to the top of the list than Mod B.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Catalina posted:

Hi! I bought this game during the Steam sale about a a week and a half ago and--

...at full price, or did hell freeze over and the game actually go on sale?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Catalina posted:

:stare:

Well, uh, thanks to all in the Steam sale thread for suggesting it! Anyway, I have a question about mods. My second colony's monkey had her leg destroyed during mortal combat while defending our base from a raid, and I'm dismayed to learn that I can't get her the hero's peg leg she deserves. Is there a mod to give prosthetics to animals, or where should I start looking first? The Steam mod workshop. Actually, I've never installed a mod through Steam before, the last time I ever installed one was for...I think Dragon Age 1. I assume it's easy through Steam, but I'd be grateful for a little direction. Thanks!

A dog said is what you're probably looking for. Go to the workshop, search it up, read to see if its what you want, then subscribe. Boot it up, look on your mods list and activate it. Wait for the game to restart. Boom, you're good.

E: Oh hey, I didn't ralize you could give animals scyther blades for limbs and tails with ADS, petty cool if you like to release the horde. Also apparently damage from bionic bits doesn't scale with size so a Yorkie or squirrel's bionic leg hits just as hard as an elephants Too bad the harvest mod just disappeared, getting a horde of squirrels or rats running around on four scyther blades and siccing them on raiders sounds pretty silly fun.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 9, 2018

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Archenteron posted:

...at full price, or did hell freeze over and the game actually go on sale?

Nah, hell has been maintaining it's normal temperature.

Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like I'm added my first Steam mod. The first games I did mods on were Morrowind and The Sims 1, no small part of me is amazed at modding in 2018.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

And soon... you too... will have a modlist that hits 100.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I got back into this a week or two ago and had a fun base going and then I loaded it up today and now 95% of my items/sprites/furniture aren't showing up. If I scroll to just the edge of the central area of the base, everything loads in, but they disappear if I move the camera back down. I can still click on them as if they're there, but the icon and stack numbers vanish.

Probably some mod conflict but I haven't changed anything in days so it's just out of nowhere :(

Rest in peace, Boris the golden retriever who had his tail and jaw smashed off by a muffalo.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Pleads posted:

I got back into this a week or two ago and had a fun base going and then I loaded it up today and now 95% of my items/sprites/furniture aren't showing up. If I scroll to just the edge of the central area of the base, everything loads in, but they disappear if I move the camera back down. I can still click on them as if they're there, but the icon and stack numbers vanish.

Probably some mod conflict but I haven't changed anything in days so it's just out of nowhere :(

Rest in peace, Boris the golden retriever who had his tail and jaw smashed off by a muffalo.

Check your modlist. Some modders will make a new version of their mod for 1.0, others just update the existing one to 1.0 and don't leave one for 0.18, so just look for any red text in the modlist.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm dying because I've been getting the urge to binge play again but I don't want to go through the torturous process of purging my modlist and trying to find new mods that work in the beta.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm also dying for a Rimworld fix, it makes sense to hold out for 1.0 but it feels like it's been in experimental for so, so long. Really tempted to have one last beta run.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Walton Simons posted:

I'm also dying for a Rimworld fix, it makes sense to hold out for 1.0 but it feels like it's been in experimental for so, so long. Really tempted to have one last beta run.

Install the unstable build and experience slight differences in the tech tree every other day. :getin:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Well, there's a version of Prepare Carefully that works on 1.0 so as long as updates won't outright break my save, I might do just that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

Well, there's a version of Prepare Carefully that works on 1.0 so as long as updates won't outright break my save, I might do just that.

Depends on what other mods you're running, and how much Tynan decides to gently caress with defs. We already know he's going bonkers on the C# renaming poo poo. Since the main reason I want 1.0 is for 64-bit, and I'm using 175 mods right now, moving to 1.0 doesn't do me much good.

edit: let me tell you about loading all of these defs on an SSD :shepicide:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 9, 2018

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Hopefully I'll be ok on 64-bit with just Prepare Carefully and Numbers.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Ambaire posted:

There are mods that do something like this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751871219

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Well, I rolled a d20 a bunch of times to add a few twists to my new game for 10 colonists. Lots of silver, good weapons and food was nice but a pitiful amount of steel and wood plus a cold, dry planet is a downer. I normally go with the first site the randomiser throws up but I'll probably let myself off this time since I think Ice Sheet might actually be impossible with the setup I have, at least without rampant cannibalism, which isn't what I want for my lovingly created pawns.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I destroyed a bad bug infestation after many re-starts. Probably a dozen hives and all the bugs. I built a little wooden wall to block line of sight to the entrance, then put down a few incendiary traps and wood piles, put a few stone traps though i don't know if those did anything, then built stone wall around that in a larger square, large enough to drop mortar shells in. I used a psychic insanity lance on one of them to start a fight, they eventually went nuts trying to break out which tripped the mines, started fires and I dropped some shells on them too but not sure that did anything. The fires were well spread about the time they broke through so they were all either dead or injured making the ones that got out pretty easy to mow down. I'm going to subdivide the cave so they don't come back though I read blocking it off also prevents them?

The injuries I took were all friendly fire which I'd like to disable for guns really. Grenades sure but gun FF happens pretty much every time a skirmish breaks out which is getting old.

Oh and I'm making a ton of kibble with the insect meat so thanks to whoever mentioned doing that

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There's a friendly fire mod that allows you to toggle allowing the possibility on or off - so in a fight where things are going great, I tell the colonists to try not to shoot each other. In a bad fight where every hit counts and the risk is great, I tell them to fire on any enemy, regardless of nearby allies.

You can also tell it to respect colony owned animals, which combined with the animal armor mod, makes attack wolves/bears/boars/cats actually survivable and potentially useful in a fight.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sten Freak posted:

The injuries I took were all friendly fire which I'd like to disable for guns really. Grenades sure but gun FF happens pretty much every time a skirmish breaks out which is getting old.

Mods always come to the rescue Avoid Friendly Fire

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I've been playing 1.0 for a couple of days and one thing that stuck out to me is that caravanning actually feels worth it in the early game now. Most of the quests I've gotten so far are less than a day's travel away now, which makes the rewards a lot more tempting.

That said, I think Tynan may be underestimating the threat even one enemy turret can pose when you're weighing whether or not an attack is worth it. Most of the time I'll just find a blind spot where I can deconstruct a wall, then loot what I can and walk everyone off the map rather than try to kill everything so I can reform the caravan.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 10, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Huh, I might have to stop being a chickenshit and start raiding other spots.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It helps that it'll usually tell you what kind of threat to expect (i.e. "two pirates," or "one mechanoid") so you can plan what you'll need to send.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

It helps that it'll usually tell you what kind of threat to expect (i.e. "two pirates," or "one mechanoid") so you can plan what you'll need to send.

Yeah the real issue was going in blind. One of the first games I played had a refugee show up like a week in barely a hop away so I figured gently caress it I'll rescue her.

Turns out it was sleeping mechanoids that were drat near impossible to not piss off. There were four of them. Four. On day like seven. After some save scumming I managed to get her out. Then she didn't even join me. It was like why did I do that? Just kept ignoring refugees after that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Turns out it was sleeping mechanoids that were drat near impossible to not piss off. There were four of them. Four. On day like seven. After some save scumming I managed to get her out. Then she didn't even join me. It was like why did I do that? Just kept ignoring refugees after that.

Actually, that brings up another weird thing; on prisoner rescues, at least, the prisoner won't join you until one of your colonists gets close enough to them, but they're counted as part of the enemy faction until they join, so your pawns will still try to attack them on sight. :doh:

Mostly I just have them drop their weapon, then draft them and move them close enough for the allegiance flip, but they'll usually still take a couple of swings at the rescue.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Keeshhound posted:

Actually, that brings up another weird thing; on prisoner rescues, at least, the prisoner won't join you until one of your colonists gets close enough to them, but they're counted as part of the enemy faction until they join, so your pawns will still try to attack them on sight. :doh:

Mostly I just have them drop their weapon, then draft them and move them close enough for the allegiance flip, but they'll usually still take a couple of swings at the rescue.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I was about halfway through making my colonists and the update broke Prepare Carefully :negative:

Time to wait for the official launch, then.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Check here for Prepare Carefully:

https://github.com/edbmods/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would there be any downside to say, replacing all of one of colonists limbs with advanced bionics? Just asking... for the purposes of science...