Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Crazycryodude posted:

Moroccan invasion is a short-term problem that'll go away one way or another by next update. Trains are forever.
*in Shirley Bassey voice* Railroads are forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crazycryodude posted:

Moroccan invasion is a short-term problem that'll go away one way or another by next update. Trains are forever.

Unless...

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Colonies are forever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Not enough love for the radness that is sphering Benin.

I am pleased at our cool African friends :unsmith:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Our enemies are going to love the trains we built for them.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Execute everyone who voted moderate.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Al-Andalus: A pack of anxious nobles who view every event as nothing less than a harbinger of total national obliteration

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Soup du Jour posted:

Al-Andalus: A pack of anxious nobles who view every event as nothing less than a harbinger of total national obliteration

Can you really blame them, given the history of the nation

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

The half of the nobles that are not anxious about this disastrous war had previously decided to invest in trains instead of investing in our army. I truly don’t even know how our extremely poor military readiness is going to be explained in the history books.

Maybe if we’re lucky, Japan declares war for control of Moroccan colonies. One can hope.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jokes on yall, trains are gonna make our mobilization time tables deadly. When Quadis is saved at the last second because of our superior logistics, you'll know who to vote for.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wonder if you could fit OpenTTD into a Paradox mega-LP

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
We could've focused exclusively on military technology and not had the soldiers to support an army due to a wave of devastating flu pandemics and tuberculosis epidemics and not having the Pop Growth inventions, so :shrug:. Also, what soldiers we did have would attrit into nothingness just walking to meet the Moroccan army.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Patter Song posted:

We could've focused exclusively on military technology and not had the soldiers to support an army due to a wave of devastating flu pandemics and tuberculosis epidemics and not having the Pop Growth inventions, so :shrug:. Also, what soldiers we did have would attrit into nothingness just walking to meet the Moroccan army.

Could've have cut back on those culture techs instead of the medicine techs. Though it's been a while since I played Vicky 2 and I frankly don't quite remember how the tech system worked in that. I think you just accumalated points and thne chose a category to advance and that would work as a flag to allow the invention events to happen to you?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Patter Song posted:

Our Glorious Andalusian soldiers are not afraid of sickness. No, they proudly bare their breasts to enemy bullets and trust in Allah to protect them from the demons causing illness. Far better to show their valor in combat than "build trains." :bahgawd:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Slaan posted:

Our Glorious Andalusian soldiers are not afraid of sickness. No, they proudly bare their breasts to enemy bullets and trust in Allah to protect them from the demons causing illness. Far better to show their valor in combat than "build trains." :bahgawd:
Nothing that a good old castration doesn't cure! It's traditional, so it must work!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

Could've have cut back on those culture techs instead of the medicine techs. Though it's been a while since I played Vicky 2 and I frankly don't quite remember how the tech system worked in that. I think you just accumalated points and thne chose a category to advance and that would work as a flag to allow the invention events to happen to you?

(The system we're going with in thread seems designed to fail...you really shouldn't focus on one exclusive category of technology for a decade on end in V2).

I have a very strong suspicion that we'll end Victoria 2 still using rickety old sailing Clipper Ships because we will never ever allow Hashim to focus on Navy tech. Should make HOI4 conversion interesting.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Patter Song posted:

(The system we're going with in thread seems designed to fail...you really shouldn't focus on one exclusive category of technology for a decade on end in V2).

I have a very strong suspicion that we'll end Victoria 2 still using rickety old sailing Clipper Ships because we will never ever allow Hashim to focus on Navy tech. Should make HOI4 conversion interesting.

It's the exact same thing as the old faction system in EU4: the mechanics require that we be able to do multiple things at once that the lp faction system prevents us from doing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I mean, depending on my starting nation I've easily gone into the 1860s/1870s without researching any army techs without much issue. It's easy enough to backfill them for when they're needed, especially if you invest as hard into education as early as you should.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
In all seriousness, I think that none of this matters if Hannover successfully calls their mysterious Great Power ally (probably Russia) into this conflict. We are already looking at an imbalance of Great Powers as it is if the Celtic Union joins in on Morroco’s side to prevent England from getting annexed. 4v2 is certain doom.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snipee posted:

In all seriousness, I think that none of this matters if Hannover successfully calls their mysterious Great Power ally (probably Russia) into this conflict. We are already looking at an imbalance of Great Powers as it is if the Celtic Union joins in on Morroco’s side to prevent England from getting annexed. 4v2 is certain doom.

If it is Russia (and process of elimination means it's either Russia or Ibriz, really), then yeah, this war is borderline unwinnable unless Hannover stays warleader. Hannover's capital province is not that far from the Hanoverian/Rhenish border, and if France just plunges right in there, it might be able to take them before the Russians get there in numbers and force Hannover to the table. It's an unlikely scenario.

If it is Ibriz, then Ibriz will take years to get more than token expeditions over here and France can crush Hannover while Ibriz wastes its time laying siege to Alaska.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
I've said this before, but focusing on discrete tech groups 100% isn't really happening, the various factions will simply prioritise certain tech groups over others. If Royalists are in charge, don't be surprised to see a commerce tech researched every now and then. Imperialists will definitely go for a couple mil techs, since they're essential to colonisation. Moderates are probably the least prone to drifting, because there are tons of useful industry techs, but they'll go for the odd army or commerce tech when it suits them (such as in the next update).

That said, I've already run test games where I focus largely on one tech group for years at a time, and it worked fine when you're playing smart. I wouldn't have the system if I thought it constantly hosed us.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 9, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rodyle posted:

It's the exact same thing as the old faction system in EU4: the mechanics require that we be able to do multiple things at once that the lp faction system prevents us from doing.

Yeah it is incredibly annoying, but I think intentionally designed that way and it does do it's job at forcing suboptimal play to avoid blobbing. Although maybe a little too well. We'll see, Victoria has the advantage of new parties showing up with new policies as time goes on so it shouldn't be a bad as EU.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hashim posted:

Great Powers:

Unless the ranking is no longer current, the mysterious ally is going to be Japan, Bavaria, or Russia. We know it is not Bavaria. Japan seems unlikely. So...

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I hope Ka'baald earns his surname in this war.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
We can only hope that the Russian AI is too dumb to work out how to send troops en masse to Western Europe.

Or alternatively that France can crush Hannover before Russia can really mobilize.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Those cowardly Moroccans and their :airquote:weapon's tech:airquote:. Will never defeat our FIGHTING SPIRIT. :black101:

morocco may have "breech loading rifles", "iron breech loading artillery" and dig pitiful holes in the group that they hide in and call "trenches" but nothing can compare to us dressing in the brightest most cartoonish uniforms we can make and screaming at the top of our lungs until our superior élan wins the day

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm sure sending a bunch of tuberculosis ridden soldiers into Morocco while our country was being eaten up by rebels would have been so much better than the current situation, yup, without a doubt. :jerkbag:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

fish and chips and dip posted:

I'm sure sending a bunch of tuberculosis ridden soldiers into Morocco while our country was being eaten up by rebels would have been so much better than the current situation, yup, without a doubt. :jerkbag:

Let me tell you about this little thing called biological warfare,

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

fish and chips and dip posted:

The dry hot air would have been healthy!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Talas posted:

Nothing that a good old castration doesn't cure! It's traditional, so it must work!

Thanks to trains we are now able to perform the procedure on multiple victims patients en masse. It put some of our castration artisans out of work though.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Thanks to trains we are now able to perform the procedure on multiple victims patients en masse. It put some of our castration artisans out of work though.

i suddenly understand the value of these so-called trains

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh we'd probably end up acting like idiots anyway, i just enjoy how hosed we're about to be from blundering almost completely unprepared into a massive, unfavourable war when the opportunity to snipe some of our heartlands and potentially remove india from morocco was right there a couple of years prior

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Look at all these reactionaries. Slow and steady wins the race here.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
To the royalist supporters complaining about the situation, imagine how it would all have gone down with them in charge. They would have attacked Morocco and in violation of the Treaty of Cadiz all alone while the world watched. While our country was politically unstable.

The way it is now is bad but holy crap i'm glad the moderates won.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Frionnel posted:

To the royalist supporters complaining about the situation, imagine how it would all have gone down with them in charge. They would have attacked Morocco and in violation of the Treaty of Cadiz all alone while the world watched. While our country was politically unstable.

The way it is now is bad but holy crap i'm glad the moderates won.

Thats why we should have gone Imperialists :colbert: Also we have the French Alliance an the truces are over at this point.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Imperialists would have shipped our entire army overseas, to conquer some random nondescript piece of savanna in a vain attempt at glory, and have them all die of malaria.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

or would they have sunk the moroccan troopships headed back from india, allowing our armies a near-bloodless win against puppets and fools?

we report, you decide

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Also the liberals wouldn't be revolting if they were in power :thunk:

Also supporting the Treaty of Cadiz is Vicky II equivalent of :decorum:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of course dudes with monocles would close all our gun factories and instead focus on the lucrative luxury widget market, but you can't have it all can you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Frionnel posted:

The Imperialists would have shipped our entire army overseas, to conquer some random nondescript piece of savanna in a vain attempt at glory, and have them all die of malaria.

The Imperialists and Royalists both prioritize the cores over colonialism/conquests in Europe respectively.