Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the main plot of b5 was great, but it had some truly dire standalone eps

yeah I can think of some, and most of them are in season one

my favorite B5 thing is like the money people which obviously were pretty hands off for the most part, but made a demand that there be a hunky fighter pilot dude and so they added him in for season 2, I think, and they never used him except to die at the end to reveal the shadow dudes. Apparently it was like "dude you'll get main credits and never actually matter or be in the show, really" and dude was like "Word" which I can't hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mods change my name posted:

remind me because its been awhile, and gently caress spoilers this show is 90s as gently caress, but in the first episode Londo is like "Dkar and I will be choking the poo poo out of each other" and they finally did in season 3 or something? I think I only ever got as far as the first 3 seasons but I really appreciated that show really did write a lot of poo poo in advanced and planned it. Come to think of it, and tbh it was probably in this thread I dont remember, but I think the dude that wrote it like preplanned it as far as like "if actor A leaves the show I have a backup plan to make the story still work" and like some really like, long term story telling planning which I can't think of another show that probably did anything nearly as complex or as planned for as that.

Like the only thing I can immediately think of is they start early trying to build up Sinclair as being the loving man, but man dude had loving SCHIZOPHRENIA and that has to be mental as gently caress talking to like aliens and poo poo. Anyhow ol Bruce comes in but I think he did right.

I'm really drunk and high, sorry

Yes, G'Kar and Londo definitely do what is shown early on, though the context is different than presumed.

JMS, the guy who came up with it (as well as some other great stuff, like the film Changeling), not only preplanned everything on thousands of index cards, with contingency plans for how long the show could run and which actors might leave/die/whatever and in what combination, but also wrote 92 of the 110 total episodes. I'm trying to remember but I think it was also 80 loving consecutive episodes. I mean that's completely insane. I'm not truly convinced there's ever been a television series (as opposed to a miniseries) that has ever been so exhaustively worked in advance and directly realized. Lost and Battlestar Galactica pretended to have done this, but they had to admit that they didn't, since, it's really loving difficult.

Oh, and when I say preplanned everything, I mean the world, the main arc, and the character arcs. With an absurd number of contingencies.

quote:

"The trouble, of course," wrote Straczynski, "is that unlike writing a novel, where characters exist only on a sheet of paper, actors... can get sick, they can get into contract disputes, they can get hit by meteors... Consequently, in drafting the story for Babylon 5, I made sure... there is a ‘trap door' built into the storyline for every character." (JMSNews 5/19/1994)

Additional trap doors in the form of assistants and attachés were added for each of the core ambassadors: Lennier of the Minbari was Delenn's trap door, Na'Toth of the Narn was G'Kar's, Vir of the Centauri was Londo's. Since each ambassador was on a diplomatic mission and subject to bureaucratic oversight, this scheme made it plausible to continue the storylines should any of the ambassadors leave the show. Thankfully, none did, and as a result the show had a rich stock of supporting characters to carry it forward.

Anyway

quote:

Frustrated with the stagnation of science fiction television, Straczynski had set the following criteria for his show:

1) It would have to be good science fiction
2) It would have to be good television (rarely are scifi shows both)
3) It would have to take an adult approach to scifi and attempt to do for scifi television what Hill Street Blues did for cop shows
4) It would have to be affordable
5) It would have to look unlike anything ever seen before on TV
6) It would present not just individual stories but present those stories against a much broader canvas

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 9, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Babylon 5 owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also future gay marriage :o!

but it's a very different show than DS9 which is why it's sort of sad they're conflated. they may have commonalities but they approach most things in a very different way.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
DS9 gets so much credit (rightfully) for being a Star Trek show with any amount of continuity or larger story arcs, and loving B5 takes that poo poo to the next level. Funny thing is growing up I just remember B5 being the boring weird show on sundays but hell it was better than the 700 Club or whatever. I think it still existed in that point (like the very end of it) where you could still do a show and not expect it to be like Seinfeld level views to even be viable past episode three, season one

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do admit that even in the context of the galaxy-wide war arc, something I don't generally like but B5 mostly managed by tying it extremely closely to character arcs, I would have liked to have seen the DS9 Big Galaxy War be different, among other things do more exploring of ideology and the role of realpolitik.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really liked earth's slide into fascism. no matter what, humanity never fuckin' learns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

i really liked earth's slide into fascism. no matter what, humanity never fuckin' learns.

prescient

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yeah dudes when Sheridan is like "gently caress it, we're independent, come at us" that poo poo loving owns. It even has its like own fox news and poo poo. Absolutely incredible. Plus I mean Chekov legit owns too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
BESTER!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Pick posted:

BESTER!

honestly of any "special appearance by" episode, like when you see "Walter Koenig" you're like awww hell yeah this gonna be GOOD

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bester is great, chekhov sucks.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

bester is great, chekhov sucks.

I just couldn't remember if it was bestor or bester tbh and I thought i could tie it back into star trek conveniently :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i'm super glad b5 didn't have a mirror universe but i do wonder what they'd have had people do in it

is bester just mirror chekov

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Bester is to Chekov as Jean Luc Picard is to Gurney Halleck.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Keiko is way too good for o'brien. Rosalind Chao is hot as hell and O'brien is completely disgusting to look at, not to mention that she's a xeno-botanist or something, I can only imagine how many years of school that takes. More than o'briens non-commed rear end anyway. Ooh and she committed the horrible crime of trying to feed him vegetables besides mounds of potatoes. Why is she making dinner for him anyway, in addition to raising his kid clearly more than he does? I cant even recall anything specifically bitchy that she ever said to him, beyond 'please just try my culture's food' and 'see your daughter from time to time.'

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
she once asked him not to use racial slurs in front of the cardassian child they were hosting while the kid was in the middle of a custody battle

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

weird how nobody ever brings up him being a time-duplicate clone outside of him briefly mentioning feeling like an imposter before going and banging Keiko.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

weird how nobody ever brings up him being a time-duplicate clone outside of him briefly mentioning feeling like an imposter before going and banging Keiko.

he also killed a man over a scrap of food (which the nice man was saving for him). it wasn't read but he thought it was. also they probably had sex.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In his defense, he didn't actually do that though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
but he thought he did.

anyway, what's everyone's vote for worst DS9 episodes? i have to say that Meridian is loving terrible

e: but it might be The Storyteller

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Pick posted:

he also killed a man over a scrap of food (which the nice man was saving for him). it wasn't read but he thought it was. also they probably had sex.

WELL UH LOL BACK TO WORK OBRIEN

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
O'Brien claiming descent from both a famous Irish union leader and Irish king strikes me as just the most Irish thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mods change my name posted:

WELL UH LOL BACK TO WORK OBRIEN

haha remember that one time when he got pulled to go look into the syndicate thing and then got his new bff killed.

gettin a lot of ur friends killed there, miley!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
everybody do the dal roc

*boogies*

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pick posted:

but he thought he did.

anyway, what's everyone's vote for worst DS9 episodes? i have to say that Meridian is loving terrible

Meridian was dumb, but at least Jadzia got things to do other than be "wise old slug" or "generic science person". None of her previous hosts magically had knowledge that would help the situation, so the fact that she was a trill didn't matter at all. And Sisko pretty much took over the "generic science person running scans in the background" role for that episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Meridian was dumb, but at least Jadzia got things to do other than be "wise old slug" or "generic science person". None of her previous hosts magically had knowledge that would help the situation, so the fact that she was a trill didn't matter at all. And Sisko pretty much took over the "generic science person running scans in the background" role for that episode.

Good point. Is it The Storyteller, then?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
bajorans so bad at community level governance they must yell at a cloud

go away, cloud!!

colm meany squinting at the problem like "eh??"

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Good point. Is it The Storyteller, then?

Melora was crap. I couldn't even finish that one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bob Quixote posted:

Melora was crap. I couldn't even finish that one.

that one falls into perhaps the most unforgivable bin "preachy and incredibly boring"

Profit and Lace is a bad loving episode but it's not a boring episode

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

that one falls into perhaps the most unforgivable bin "preachy and incredibly boring"

Profit and Lace is a bad loving episode but it's not a boring episode

Yeah, Profit and Lace is horrible but its also just goddamned bizarre in unexpected ways - like a 4 clown car pileup on the road in the middle of your morning commute.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bob Quixote posted:

Yeah, Profit and Lace is horrible but its also just goddamned bizarre in unexpected ways - like a 4 clown car pileup on the road in the middle of your morning commute.

can't look away

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Best episode was Who Mourns for Morn? where we found out that Morn was a buccaneer and space pimp in addition to being the off-screen Lando Calrissian of DS9.

Either that or the Ferengi rescue mission guest starring Iggy Pop.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think my favorite episode is "Cardassians" since it has an actual dilemma and effective moving parts. Solid ep.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
still weird to me that tom riker kisses kira at the end of that ds9 episode

super weird

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

Best episode was Who Mourns for Morn? where we found out that Morn was a buccaneer and space pimp in addition to being the off-screen Lando Calrissian of DS9.

Either that or the Ferengi rescue mission guest starring Iggy Pop.

These are good and correct opinions.

I hear a lot about DS9 being really dramatic for having its ongoing serialized storyline and Sisko doing/condoning some dark poo poo but I think its real standout moments are for having some of the most fun/funniest Trek episodes out of all the series.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bob Quixote posted:

These are good and correct opinions.

I hear a lot about DS9 being really dramatic for having its ongoing serialized storyline and Sisko doing/condoning some dark poo poo but I think its real standout moments are for having some of the most fun/funniest Trek episodes out of all the series.

Civil Defense

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Civil Defense

Dukat getting his stupid lizardman rear end trapped in his own security system after beaming aboard to gloat is peak Cardassian.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

O'Brien claiming descent from both a famous Irish union leader and Irish king strikes me as just the most Irish thing.

The most Irish thing was when, years into TNG, they realized they wanted to develop some side characters and had an episode where O'Brien wanted Keiko to experience his culture since they always ate her traditional vegetarian dishes so cut to O'Brien shoveling like a gallon of potato salad onto her plate while singing an Irish dirge.

"I'm Irish! We eat even drink potatoes!

Ohhhh Dannny boy......The Pipes....The Pipes are caaaaallllinnnn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bob Quixote posted:

Dukat getting his stupid lizardman rear end trapped in his own security system after beaming aboard to gloat is peak Cardassian.