Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I play through dune 2 once a year, I’ve gotten pretty efficient at it. People have made multiplayer versions of it but they’re just not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think children of dune is mostly great but Jessica going from smart to hideously retarded is a travesty and the tigers are the dumbest plot point in all 5 books.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

basic hitler posted:

I think children of dune is mostly great but Jessica going from smart to hideously retarded is a travesty and the tigers are the dumbest plot point in all 5 books.

I bet the tigers are the only part of the original books Brian Herbert liked

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
im jonesing for the preacher bits to start cause thats some grade a poo poo

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Children definitely was the weakest out of the first 4. However I would argue that Jessica being dumb was more to illustrate how out of the loop and left behind she all was. She had gone home and meanwhile the world had left her behind. Paul, Alia, Leto II and Ghanima were all things the world had never seen before and no-one really knew how to handle. They were so far beyond that anyone else trying to deal with them was outplayed before they started.
Even the guy she coached on Salusa Secundus (can't remember his name) who was way more on to it than everyone else in his family, was left floundering when Leto II and Ghanima played their hand.

She was like the classic old person who can't figure out why women can be doctors and other races aren't jailed on sight while everyone else just rolls their eyes like yeah whatever Grandad.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
right but all thats hard to reconcile with the jessica that outplayed both thufir loving hawat and the whole goddamned fremen society

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Yeah I know but time makes fools of us all.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
She lived as the mother of god for like, 25 years on caladan without enemies. Paradise dulls your edge

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Prune, bowel planet.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

98% of "poor" sietches have a well

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Sweet-bro Atreidies and Harkonnen Jeff.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Check out this video about loving sea worms and ultra spice!!!! And lord cybertrex making paul atreides gholas!!!!!

https://youtu.be/91RyWQkgjSE

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
*very British-ly*

Dyoon.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

No joke, I own this apron. It was a birthday gift, and great one at that.

Today we were listening to the radio at work and "Africa" by Toto came on. Someone made fun of Toto and I told them to shut their whore mouth because they are responsible for one of the greatest film soundtracks ever. (For me, it's a real hard toss up between that and Queen's work on Flash Gordon, I love them both equally)

Anyone know how/why Toto got tapped to do the score? Kinda an odd choice, but then I'm not really familiar with their work. Was Lynch a huge fan, or did they volunteer...? Never really thought about it until just now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

the incel paul and the chad leto 2

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

i warned you about messiahs bro! i told you dog!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Father! The sleeper has awoken!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

How the gently caress did i make a gold rated thread.

Thanks everyone for putting good discussion and jokes itt

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Anyone know how/why Toto got tapped to do the score? Kinda an odd choice, but then I'm not really familiar with their work. Was Lynch a huge fan, or did they volunteer...? Never really thought about it until just now.

I don't have a source but the way I heard it went down was Lynch had Eno do the score and DeLaurentis balked and demanded a redo with a band who was popularish at the time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

i warned you about messiahs bro! i told you dog!

lmao

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

basic hitler posted:

something something golden path

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

d u n e

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

Father! The sleeper has awoken!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Stephane Picq's soundtrack for the games is still very listenable if you like retro nerd technopop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pz67KeUhTg

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Still no choam gang tag voted 1

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Halloween Jack posted:

Stephane Picq's soundtrack for the games is still very listenable if you like retro nerd technopop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pz67KeUhTg

It's a really neat soundtrack, but my head keeps busting out Frank Klepacki's Dune 2 whenever I read d u n e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bDjBmg4OM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3s2YO7e1vo :megadeath:

E:

t u n e: Music Planet.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 9, 2018

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I just finished Chapterhouse a little while ago.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it did that crap near the end where it seems like chapters were missing.
"We won out battle against the Honored Matres!" to "Whoops! We got owned! Save us Murbella, you're our only hope!".

I read the synopses for the two Brian Herbert novels following this and both really sound like crap.
Even the last few Frank Herbert books were getting a little to reliant on ghola this and ghola that, but seemed like Brian took that to a new level.
"Have a favorite character that died? I'll bring them back for no reason!"

At least I've got the books I wanted to read under my belt and can move on to something else now.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
*rushes into the thread breathlessly*

GUYS

GUYS

Sean Young was CHANI

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yes, she was.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
jesus i had such a crush on sean young in the 80s

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE BAR posted:

Prune, bowel planet.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
In God-Emperor why does Duncan Idaho refer to Paul as Muad'dib ?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

thatfatkid posted:

In God-Emperor why does Duncan Idaho refer to Paul as Muad'dib ?

What

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
The Duncan Idaho ghola remembers Paul Atreides as Muad'dib, despite being the clone of the Duncan that dies before Paul takes the name of Muad'dib. Idgi

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
They bring it up later in Chapterhouse or something but a Duncan ghola eventually ends up with all of the memories of all previous Duncan gholas, even the ones who’s cells he doesn’t share or descend from so in conclusion Dune is a planet of contrasts.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

thatfatkid posted:

The Duncan Idaho ghola remembers Paul Atreides as Muad'dib, despite being the clone of the Duncan that dies before Paul takes the name of Muad'dib. Idgi

This is addressed in the Brian Herbert books. Paul had his true name stricken from all historical records and replaced with Muad'dib so the robots couldn't track down his descendants or ancestors

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Communist Walrus posted:

This is addressed in the Brian Herbert books. Paul had his true name stricken from all historical records and replaced with Muad'dib so the robots couldn't track down his descendants or ancestors

But the whole point is that basically everyone is descended from him, either via his daughter and the guy who's mom had the tiger plot, or via Siona.

Also why the gently caress would his first name matter?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

But the whole point is that basically everyone is descended from him, either via his daughter and the guy who's mom had the tiger plot, or via Siona.

Also why the gently caress would his first name matter?

Because it is a fulfilling word.

gently caress Brian Herbert.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Donne, poet planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug