Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

http://weatherfactory.biz/cultist-simulator-2018-update-roadmap/

A roadmap for the game's DLC/more content has been posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Ahhhh I really need an audio cue or giant visual indicator that I'm about to lose. Just wasted 3-4 hours of clawing myself out of obscurity only to suddenly die because i put the nice old lady and her sacrifice-to-be over to the side because it wasn't time yet. Only to forget it.

It's a real poo poo thing to happen and it's not the first, it's so easy to just not notice you have dread or facination stacking up with all the timers spinning, why isn't there a cue?!

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Bhodi posted:

Ahhhh I really need an audio cue or giant visual indicator that I'm about to lose. Just wasted 3-4 hours of clawing myself out of obscurity only to suddenly die because i put the nice old lady and her sacrifice-to-be over to the side because it wasn't time yet. Only to forget it.

It's a real poo poo thing to happen and it's not the first, it's so easy to just not notice you have dread or facination stacking up with all the timers spinning, why isn't there a cue?!

The music changes whenever a red timer is active. Doesn't really help with fascination because it takes longer than 60s to counter it, but would have helped with the patron sacrifice.

Honestly the music design in this game is wonderful and one of my favorite elements of playing.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wolpertinger posted:

It leads to the Detectives Never Ever gently caress Off chore, due to the infinite mystique feeding them forever, so you can never actually use Work for anything OTHER than painting.

The Maid in the Mirror is more than happy to solve your detective problems forever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

keseph posted:

The music changes whenever a red timer is active. Doesn't really help with fascination because it takes longer than 60s to counter it, but would have helped with the patron sacrifice.

Honestly the music design in this game is wonderful and one of my favorite elements of playing.
Well, I was dealing with another timer that was counting down and I attributed the noise to that. That's why I really want some sort of visual queue or flashing, I think turning the bar red is entirely too small of a warning. Perhaps pausing and force-opening the dialogue box? At any rate, that plus the slowness of the buildup frustrated me enough to where I'm putting this game down for a few patches.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The Maid in the Mirror is more than happy to solve your detective problems forever.

Except for Connie. I'm waiting for fanart of her bodyslamming Maid-in-the-Mirror or any other would-be assassins.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also despite my salty bitching last page I'm now the proud owner of a Win. I'm probably gonna wait until more updates to play much though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I have never seen an assassination work, whether from a hired thug or a creature spawned of cracked mirrors or anything in between

poisons, on the other hand...

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oh I've definitely done some murdering. Maid-in-the-mirror leaves no survivors... Except Connie, gently caress her. I've never managed to scare/charm anyone successfully myself.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Glagha posted:

Oh I've definitely done some murdering. Maid-in-the-mirror leaves no survivors... Except Connie, gently caress her. I've never managed to scare/charm anyone successfully myself.

It's pretty difficult. I think you have to weaken your target with the opposite aspect first. So for example, if you want to drive someone insane with the light of Mansus, you have to make them an idealist with a winter lore or something similar. Then you hit them with a high level lantern lore...that said it's still not as reliable as sending a high level summon to kill someone.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno, I found that the top level winter lore has a 100% chance to drive investigators insane if they're not immune, though that's admittedly a very late-game thing.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Some lore opinions:
Frankly I'm not a fan of the Forge+Sun-in-Splendor story. Apparently she loved the Sun so much that she had to kill him to stop herself from having sex with him. That would make more sense if she changed the sun while loving because she is about change but apparently not. Which is odd in itself but weirdly it is also the worst thing anyone has ever done, while the alternative (that AFAIK noone ever done) is much worse somehow. Another strange thing about it is how almost noone gave any fucks not only about Sun's murder but also that Sun and Forge are about to gently caress and produce their awful offspring. The only one who cared was the Grail and he actually wanted them to gently caress.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 9, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here's my Sun / Forge fanfic.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eh, I didn't make any of this up. Obviously they are not really loving but considering that the crime in the sky is immortals producing offspring its probably close enough.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus christ I clicked on this game during my lunch again and now i'm gonna do another playthrough gently caress.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sekenr posted:

Some lore opinions:
Frankly I'm not a fan of the Forge+Sun-in-Splendor story. Apparently she loved the Sun so much that she had to kill him to stop herself from having sex with him. That would make more sense if she changed the sun while loving because she is about change but apparently not. Which is odd in itself but weirdly it is also the worst thing anyone has ever done, while the alternative (that AFAIK noone ever done) is much worse somehow. Another strange thing about it is how almost noone gave any fucks not only about Sun's murder but also that Sun and Forge are about to gently caress and produce their awful offspring. The only one who cared was the Grail and he actually wanted them to gently caress.

it's almost as if we are missing an appreciable fraction of the story, because our chief interlocutors are cultists of the Merciless Glory, the Shaping Arts, and the Succulent Truths. the Watchman doesn't care, the Forge-of-Days cannot regret the acts that made her the Forge-of-Days, and the Grail just wanted to see what would happen.

my personal take is that it has to do with the secrets of Forge being about breaking yourself that you might be remade stronger, and breaking a thing of unparalleled beauty and power, which you desperately want to bone, was the only flaw left to be hammered out of who-was-Forge. but we have yet to hear the fourth of the major voices on the subject. hurry the hell up and get me my Winter ascenscion, Alexis.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Is there any way to set the position of actions to be the same everytime they pop up? It's kind of irritating to have to keep moving stuff around after they pop up.

Also I finally understand how rites work now and am quite pleased with the results so far. Clearly nothing bad will happen because of this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh. Curious. They altered the achievement portraits for all the exalted cultist achievements.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay so, was thinking about doing a write up (as opposed to a let's play) of the game. I was thinking of having it structured like interviews with cult members, with investigators and so on and never actually talking to the Player Character until the end.

Does that sound like an interesting set up? I just have the wonderful image of one of the Pawns talking about how they went to the great artist and they painted them and now they are so much more alive than you can ever hope to be!

That and doing the detective as a continuing change character as each member of the Suppression Bureau starts being sent mad.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Speedball posted:

Huh. Curious. They altered the achievement portraits for all the exalted cultist achievements.

Makes sense I suppose, the old ones were a bit too character specific seeing how you might not even get those particular cultists in your playthrough

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Josef bugman posted:

Okay so, was thinking about doing a write up (as opposed to a let's play) of the game. I was thinking of having it structured like interviews with cult members, with investigators and so on and never actually talking to the Player Character until the end.

Does that sound like an interesting set up? I just have the wonderful image of one of the Pawns talking about how they went to the great artist and they painted them and now they are so much more alive than you can ever hope to be!

That and doing the detective as a continuing change character as each member of the Suppression Bureau starts being sent mad.

This sounds amazing please do it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1019533976925605888

This is live on the beta branch, apparently.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sweeeeeeet

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1020245593053192192

Coming soon: ability cards will count as tools rather than ingredients, so people will stop accidentally burning all their reason while recruiting new cult members.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Really wanted something to do with all those really short lived cards you get so that first is great.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It gives a use for Fleeting Memories besides suddenly sticking them into a Rite, and it’s also a difficulty step down because you have more poo poo that fights Fascination.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

kimpira posted:

Coming soon: ability cards will count as tools rather than ingredients, so people will stop accidentally burning all their reason while recruiting new cult members.

Thank gently caress.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

These are all welcome balance changes. Good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

kimpira posted:

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1020245593053192192

gently caress yes a great use for fleeting memory

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I always thought summoning a Legmass was use enough for a Fleeting Memory. That's really useful!

Allowing it to counter Fascination is going to trivialise Fascination, I think. I don't know about you guys, but I usually have Fleetings coming out of my ears. Not sure that's a bad thing- Fascination is the only real threat in the game, but it's not a very interesting one.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I always had a harder time with dread than fascination. I found it much easier to get dread on demand than to get contentment without paying or risking something else.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The only real threat in the game is how hard the UI works to make sure you don't notice that you have a couple dread or fascination built up.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Glagha posted:

I always had a harder time with dread than fascination. I found it much easier to get dread on demand than to get contentment without paying or risking something else.

The Weary Detective is cool, and i am not going to bother him with my poo poo unless he tries to send me to dickensian superjail again.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ceebees posted:

The Weary Detective is cool, and i am not going to bother him with my poo poo unless he tries to send me to dickensian superjail again.

look, every once in a while, you have him over for tea, and you chitchat about death a bit

it's polite

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I swear every single time I play this game I get Connie, and I can never get rid of her.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I chit-chatted'd with my Connie about death.

She didn't take it well.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mine ALWAYS ends up as a grim idealist. Every time. Until I sent enough maids-in-the-mirror that she eventually kicked it.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

These are some nice changes but I hope they address some of the issues in regards to actually finding higher level tools to use. I wish you could subvert or combine tools together like with lores by using forge-aspect minions or something since the RNG can screw you over when you're trying to get things like the Frangiclave and it can drag the game out unnecessarily.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You never need that just use the mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

You could use the mirrors, and commit yourself to like half a dozen extra clicks for every Peacock door entry.

Or we could save us all the tedium and the RSI and make Frangiclave a guaranteed drop from one of the Evening Isles expeditions or something.