Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Even just Unn by itself lets you get away with a lot of healing that would otherwise be impossible, it's a really good 2 slot charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you're just in it for the essence, have you gone after the White Defender? I found him less of a hassle than most of the other Dream Bosses

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Just beat the final final boss. Fuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuu!

God drat what a feeling. It was all worth it. What a game.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

What a game! I just finished it (the "bad" ending, I guess) at ~26 hours and 76%. I keep hearing about the path of pain and white palace, so I'm interested to take a look. I tried the Trial of the Fool a few times, and I found it pretty humorous: I felt like I was doing really well, but the trial just kept throwing group after group of enemies at me.

A question: how in the world was I supposed to find the Grimm Troupe? I didn't look at too many spoilers, but I did for this, since it seemed like there was some fun content there and I'd played most of the game without running into them. Short of banging my nail on every wall in the game, was there some clue to finding them?

Also, I can't believe people are beating Steel Soul mode. I probably died to Hollow Knight 15 times alone!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I beat the game! 82% in 33h20m. I was one pale ore short of the final nail upgrade (the grubfather one), 32 charms, and a little over 2k essence (all 3 dream bosses killed). What a crazy loving ride that was, especially that final boss. I'm taking a break for tonight, but tomorrow it's on to the DLC!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Geez I should have done lost kin first I killed him on my second try

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

veni veni veni posted:

Geez I should have done lost kin first I killed him on my second try

Sheesh. I had very few troubles with Tyrant and Champion but I probably attempted Kin 60 or 70 times before I killed him.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Sade posted:

Sheesh. I had very few troubles with Tyrant and Champion but I probably attempted Kin 60 or 70 times before I killed him.

Yeah that's what I love about this game. A boss that is really hard for one person ends up being very easy for someone else and vice versa and with end game bosses its not just a matter of builds. Balance is just so tight that different playstyles (and charm combinations too) end up getting very different results on fights. It's great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sade posted:

I still had the suicide flies equipped from Soul Tyrant, and they did a pretty good job with crowd control on the flying wads of gum. That and quick slash made him super easy.

So anyways, I'm in White Palace now. Jumped around a bunch of saw blades and it doesn't seem to bad so far but prepare for incoming bitching when I play it again tomorrow. When I inevitably start path of pain you guys can just put me on ignore because it's going to be poo poo post city.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

veni veni veni posted:

When I inevitably start path of pain you guys can just put me on ignore because it's going to be poo poo post city.

I'd say we're all probably hardened from spending time in the game forums, so no big. Good luck though!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The White Palace was loving awesome.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I still had the suicide flies equipped from Soul Tyrant, and they did a pretty good job with crowd control on the flying wads of gum. That and quick slash made him super easy.

So anyways, I'm in White Palace now. Jumped around a bunch of saw blades and it doesn't seem to bad so far but prepare for incoming bitching when I play it again tomorrow. When I inevitably start path of pain you guys can just put me on ignore because it's going to be poo poo post city.

Have you played Celeste? It really prepares you wonderfully well for White Palace. Path of Pain slightly less so, mainly because there are some bullshit long passages, with no checkpoints, but it's overall some fun and tough, but mostly fair, platforming.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Toaster Beef posted:

The White Palace was loving awesome.

:yeah:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I really like the opening segment of the path of pain because if you're not prepared for the platforming it asks of you you'll walk out to the ledge and wonder why there's no actual path.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how this game has extreme challenges that exist solely for people who enjoy pain with no tangible benefit.

Path of Pain, Trial of the Fool, the upper levels of White Defender and Grey Prince Zote.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I like how this game has extreme challenges that exist solely for people who enjoy pain with no tangible benefit.

Path of Pain, Trial of the Fool, the upper levels of White Defender and Grey Prince Zote.

Trial of the fool isn't so bad. I managed to beat it once I had my nail maxed out and Unbreakable Strength, I was too chicken-poo poo to use the fragile version prior. You throw on Quick Focus and go hog-wild. It never gets harder after the Magicians and just tries to throw you off with spikes.

I think I'm going to make a Pet-build, alongside Joni's Blessing, to take on the Final Boss because I have no expectations of hitting them and I want to devote my time to evasion.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I’m almost 2 weeks into my attempt to beat path of pain. I’m at the last section though according to the speed run I saw. It probably wouldn’t take me this long but I can only play for like an hour here and there each day. Still, it’s pretty drat masochistic.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

doesn't stop people from complaining about them non stop :pram:

man the path of pain is so good

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You don’t get anything for beating Grey Prince Zote? It didn’t seem that hard when I attempted it but then again I don’t know how low I got his go so

I also beat Crystal Guardian 2 on my second try and got hit maybe once because his attacks are super easy to avoid and idk why people had problems with him?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I also beat Crystal Guardian 2 on my second try and got hit maybe once because his attacks are super easy to avoid and idk why people had problems with him?
I can't explain it but something about the Crystal Guardian's attacks just turn off some people's brains. Including mine. I might have spent more attempts on him (the first form sitting on the bench) than I did on Nightmare King Grimm :negative:

which is weird because I see videos of the fight and it looks so simple/easy

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't really complain about path of pain, because while it's really bad, there's also no real reason for me to do it.

The rest of the white palace, though, is an hour long poo poo sandwich you gotta eat if you want to finish the game.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

You don’t get anything for beating Grey Prince Zote? It didn’t seem that hard when I attempted it but then again I don’t know how low I got his go so

You get a reward (Dream Essence) the first time you beat him, but you can refight him several times and he eventually does like 5 masks worth of damage on every hit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I love how stupid this game makes me because I get so focused on trying to fill out each zone map. So I'm in Mantis town trying to rub my face against the Lords enough to beat them, I've got the air dash and wall kick upgrades from the zone but I'm not sure where to go for the critical path. I remember chasing Mantis to some tunnel over goop that she just dashed over but I couldn't follow. Am I kitted to clear that now?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I love how stupid this game makes me because I get so focused on trying to fill out each zone map. So I'm in Mantis town trying to rub my face against the Lords enough to beat them, I've got the air dash and wall kick upgrades from the zone but I'm not sure where to go for the critical path. I remember chasing Mantis to some tunnel over goop that she just dashed over but I couldn't follow. Am I kitted to clear that now?

I'm guessing you mean Hornet? :v: Anyway the answer is yes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Your Computer posted:

I'm guessing you mean Hornet? :v: Anyway the answer is yes.

Sorry typed mantis so many times and it became the only noun I knew.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes. Fair warning, go back up to Leg Eater’s bench to rest before you try it. It isn’t much closer than the bench in the village but at least you don’t have to run back past a gauntlet of mantises every time. And it probably will take more than one try unless you’re already really good at wall jumping.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

three dreamers down and i only just now found Leg Eater

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

If you beat him 4 times you psychonauts him out of Berta's mind and she packs her bags.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

The intriguing lore implications of the scene the end of the Path of Pain are an extremely tangible benefit. :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

team cherry really messed up by not making the 5 second scene at the end of the path of pain the king putting on sunglasses and flipping you off while doing a sweet skateboard kickflip off the screen

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Tunahead posted:

The intriguing lore implications of the scene the end of the Path of Pain are an extremely tangible benefit. :colbert:

Thankfully, youtube exists.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

team cherry really messed up by not making the 5 second scene at the end of the path of pain the king putting on sunglasses and flipping you off while doing a sweet skateboard kickflip off the screen

I would have been satisfied with that

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Spent the weekend learning NKG only to have it finally click and murdered him in beautiful fashion. I was expecting longer to learn The Radiance but after NKG I basically brute forced it. 107%, 66 hours. Amazing game, I'm already considering a round 2.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tunahead posted:

If I actually did the path of pain for the cutscene that we had gotten and not for the challenge I would have been extremely pissed that's all we got.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok guys, maybe needing a tiny bit of guidance as to where to go next-ish?

I have the dream nail. I have found 2 essence trees. On near where I got the nail, one in Fungal Wastes (I think?) That's all I have marked on my map. I have dash, I have the ground pound, I have gone through Crystal Peaks (But I wonder if there is more, maybe?) I have done Resting Grounds (which seems small, unless there is more. I have the map...)

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Look around the bottom of the Resting Grounds for a big elevator.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Or if you've purchased the lantern, go explore Deepest.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Feenix posted:

Ok guys, maybe needing a tiny bit of guidance as to where to go next-ish?

I have the dream nail. I have found 2 essence trees. On near where I got the nail, one in Fungal Wastes (I think?) That's all I have marked on my map. I have dash, I have the ground pound, I have gone through Crystal Peaks (But I wonder if there is more, maybe?) I have done Resting Grounds (which seems small, unless there is more. I have the map...)

HK is a non-linear game, so there are plenty of ways you could go right now. here are some things you can do if you haven't already:

-pick up a new movement upgrade from the mines
-smash the cracked coffin lid in resting grounds with the ground pound
-head back to the very first room in the game and keep going left
-use a simple key to unlock the manhole cover in city of tears
-beat the mantis lords and check out what they're guarding

First of all, though, you should absolutely go back to the room where you fought the false knight and look for something you can hit with the dream nail.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

First of all, though, you should absolutely go back to the room where you fought the false knight and look for something you can hit with the dream nail.

If you do follow this advice, keep in mind that you can always come back to that later, you don't have to finish that anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

OzFactor posted:

Look around the bottom of the Resting Grounds for a big elevator.

Yeah I don't know why I assumed that went to a part of City I had been to but... NOPE!

Thanks! :)