Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Fifth boy out, three more being brought out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pseudohog posted:

Yeah, I think they found some lamps they thought would look cool for the club scene, turns out they were UV decontamination lamps?
A quick google isn't turning anything up for me either.
It's especially baffling if you watch the scene, they're the exact blue colour films use to show "We are using UV". When I was watching the film (before I heard about this) I assumed they were UV lamps, thought it was a plot point, thought the mutant vampire was acting all sick looking because of the UV, and couldn't understand why the other vampires were fine.

Made the film very confusing.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Root for Mexico?
:australia:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Reminds me of a funny programming term I once heard.

Legacy Code

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/vJP6kgF.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Musk always suggests tunnels or tube-like objects as a solution to everything and I’m starting to wonder if it’s a sexual thing now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

chitoryu12 posted:

Musk always suggests tunnels or tube-like objects as a solution to everything and I’m starting to wonder if it’s a sexual thing now.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

A young Scott Sterling in action.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/9ecaQyh.mp4

:munch:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

It just keeps getting stupider

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That first draft of Speed 2 is only slightly less bad than the actual movie.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

It just keeps getting stupider

It’s basically what happens when you cause a wreck in GTA.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I was confused for a sec about why Australian television comedian Shaun Micallef was tweeting about shoddy brick work in Canada. :psyduck:

Then I realised it was a different guy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

evobatman posted:

Fifth boy out, three more being brought out today.

Sucks to be kid #9 that's gonna be in there all alone tonight

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
And that boy grew up to be Gollum.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Azhais posted:

Sucks to be kid #9 that's gonna be in there all alone tonight

No one has been eaten yet, so there's 4 kids and the teacher left.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lurking Haro posted:

No one has been eaten yet, so there's 4 kids and the teacher left.

Coach was the first out, he had an infected wound or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

hobbesmaster posted:

Coach was the first out, he had an infected wound or something.

Nah, those reports were wrong

quote:

What we know so far

The Thai navy Seals have confirmed that eight boys have been rescued from the Tham Luang cave complex in Northern Thailand, after two separate rescue operations. A further four boys were rescued on Monday after four were rescued on Sunday.
A further four boys and their coach Ekapol Chantawong remain in the cave. The identities of the rescued boys have not been confirmed.
Thai public television broadcast live video of a medivac helicopters landing close to a hospital in the city of Chiang Rai. They were believed to be ferrying the rescued boys.
Thai prime minister, Prayut Chan-O-Cha has delayed a planned visit to the site so as not to disruption the rescue operation. He had been due at the site at 6pm but is remaining at nearby Chiang Rai where the rescued boys are being treated in hospital.
The operation to extract more of the boys began on Monday at 11am (5am BST). The same divers who managed to rescue four boys on Sunday were involved. Officials said that conditions were as good as they were on Sunday and that rain yesterday did not affect water levels inside the cave.
The threat of monsoon rains re-flooding the cave is not as acute as previously feared, according to forecasters. Rain has fallen away from the cave entrance today and the chance of rain over the next two days is considered low.
The authorities complained about some of yesterday’s media coverage, saying a drone was flown above the operation. They also claimed media outlets listened to police radio reports.
The rescued boy are being kept in isolation in the hospital to avoid the risk of infection. Medics are considering whether to allow their parents to see them through a glass door.
The four boys rescued on Sunday have asked to eat a pad krapow. The dish is a favourite comfort food made with Thai basil.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Pad krapow is a good choice.

I hope the rest of the operation goes as well as the first two stages. Putting the kids in isolation seems pretty severe, but I guess the concern is that starvation has weakened their immune systems?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Keep calm and eat krapow.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I also read that the parents haven't been informed yet of who was taken out and who is still in the cave. They won't say anything until all the kids and the coach are out.

I can see why but holy smokes that would be insanely nerve wracking as a parent to not know if they're out yet or not.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this is the simpsons where lisa has gum stuck in her hair

i half expected the capital city goofball to blow into frame honking his nose

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SelenicMartian posted:

Keep calm and eat krapow.

Someone should open a Thai food place in Poland and advertise their Krakow krapow.

But only in text because Krakow ends with a vee sound.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Polish breakfast eatery: Krakow Dawn

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mr. Fix It posted:

This light reminds me of the story about how they (temporarily) blinded a bunch of cast and crew during the filming of Blade 2 by misusing UV lights. I can't find any articles on it, so I'm pretty sure I heard it on a podcast with either Ron Perlman or Guillermo Del Toro.
Yeah, they were like soviet czech-era UV lights and the doctor basically couldn't stop swearing at them about how loving dumb they all were. Medical advice was "go home and lay in the dark, totally dark, no lights at all you loving moron and hope that once your eyes' sunburns peel off you can still see. 50/50 at best and I honestly don't know which I'm hoping for because you're that stupid. Idiot."

iirc everyone was fine after the bit of body horror that is having your eyes peel off a bit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Yawgmoth posted:

the bit of body horror that is having your eyes peel off a bit.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tiny, kid-size submarines

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1015507453818044416

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beautiful, capitalist submarines

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By the time his design is finalized with all the cupholders and Internet connectivity, the kids will all be out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

chitoryu12 posted:

By the time his design is finalized with all the cupholders and Internet connectivity, the kids will all be out.

He probably stopped working on the pod once they pulled the first kids out, that tweet is two days old

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Devor posted:

He probably stopped working on the pod once they pulled the first kids out, that tweet is two days old

His musing has drifted onward to possibly some variation of that design being good for escape pods in space or something

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Azhais posted:

His musing has drifted onward to possibly some variation of that design being good for escape pods in space or something
He'll turn them into human bullets for mini-Hyperloop aka pneumatic tubes.

"In 1812, George Medhurst first proposed, but never implemented, blowing passenger carriages through a tunnel"
"In 1861, the London Pneumatic Despatch Company built a system large enough to move a person, although it was intended for parcels. The inauguration of the new Holborn Station on 10 October 1865 was marked by having the Duke of Buckingham, the chairman, and some company directors blown through the tube to Euston (a five-minute trip)."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was briefly a pneumatic subway running under NYC, but they only ever built 300 feet of tunnel and 1 station so it was more of an amusement ride than a means of transportation.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It was eventually repurposed into the Alameda-Weehawken burrito tunnel

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 9, 2018

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I'd love to see the source video for this.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Araenna posted:

I'd love to see the source video for this.

Took like ten seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrrDLdeL2HQ

You's is bad at google!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/MAB1729.aspx

quote:

Executive Summary
​On the afternoon of March 31, 2016, the passenger vessel Adventure Hornblower was attempting to dock at the Navy Pier in downtown San Diego, California, following a whale-watching excursion. As the vessel made its approach to the pier, its bow unexpectedly swung to starboard and allided with the pier’s passenger embarkation dock. The Adventure Hornblower then accelerated forward until it struck the seawall at the foot of the pier. Eight passengers sustained minor injuries in the accident. The allision caused nearly $1.06 million in damage to the vessel, pier, and seawall.

Probable Cause
​The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the allision of the Adventure Hornblower with the Navy Pier and the downtown San Diego seawall was a failure of the port transmission to disengage from the forward propulsion position due to the operating company’s lack of adherence to the transmission manufacturer’s recommended periodic maintenance schedule and the lack of routine maintenance and upkeep of the propulsion system’s equipment. Contributing to the accident was the lack of instrumentation to provide positive indication of thrust direction or an alarm to indicate the propulsion control system was not responding properly to the captain’s commands.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I prefer this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOAppbN0jdA

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cool- I learned a new word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

Took like ten seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrrDLdeL2HQ

You's is bad at google!

gdi. I thought I had posted this one

and commented that. I wasn't asking anyone to google it for me, it was just a comment. I was going to post the one I did and say something about how it was good that at least someone noticed the older woman who couldn't get out of the way fast enough on her own. I dunno where abouts I hosed that all up.